Controller drift.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

John Arrowsmith #1 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 72839 battles

So I took my controller back today as the wireless connection didn't work and it had an issue with the d pad.   The guy in the shop asked me if I had tried re calibrating the controller,  I had no idea you could do such a thing.

So if anyone is having controller drift issues on the x1,  try re calibrating and see if it works.   Mine was replaced because of the wireless fault so can't see if it works.

This forum needs the Fake Marine

Snore,   the only person I know of that likes mushy peas in a taco with cinnamon sprinkles. 

Cobravert #2 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:13 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27119 battles
  • [WPLAC]

View PostJohn Arrowsmith, on 24 May 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

So I took my controller back today as the wireless connection didn't work and it had an issue with the d pad.   The guy in the shop asked me if I had tried re calibrating the controller,  I had no idea you could do such a thing.

So if anyone is having controller drift issues on the x1,  try re calibrating and see if it works.   Mine was replaced because of the wireless fault so can't see if it works.

There is a USB port on the left side of the XB1. You will need a USB cord that has 1 standard end and one small end to plug into the front of the controller. You plug it in and follow the on screen prompt to activae the update. It really doesn't do anything for re-calibration that I know of.

From what I've found, once a controller has a slow turn or won't keep your game piece stationary, it's the controller that needs to be replaced. I had a new red controller, Lava scheme or whatever, and it started slow turning in about 2 months of purchase. I took it back to Game Stop and they would only allow me to trade it in for a new standard one at a "slightly" reduced cost.

John Arrowsmith #3 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

Major

• Players
  • 72839 battles

View PostCobravert, on 24 May 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

There is a USB port on the left side of the XB1. You will need a USB cord that has 1 standard end and one small end to plug into the front of the controller. You plug it in and follow the on screen prompt to activae the update. It really doesn't do anything for re-calibration that I know of.

From what I've found, once a controller has a slow turn or won't keep your game piece stationary, it's the controller that needs to be replaced. I had a new red controller, Lava scheme or whatever, and it started slow turning in about 2 months of purchase. I took it back to Game Stop and they would only allow me to trade it in for a new standard one at a "slightly" reduced cost.

I'm not sure how  but he seemed to imply that it could be done via xbox settings.

Snore,   the only person I know of that likes mushy peas in a taco with cinnamon sprinkles. 

Cobravert #4 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:34 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27119 battles
  • [WPLAC]

View PostJohn Arrowsmith, on 24 May 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

I'm not sure how  but he seemed to imply that it could be done via xbox settings.

All I've ever seen it do was firmware updates. If they added something new to it, I've never seen anything said about it.

At game Stop they even had a diagnostic machine they could plug the controller into and it showed them what sticks or buttons were not functioning correctly.

Not saying the guy is wrong, but maybe there is a new thing on Xbox for it. They changed the messaging system recently for reasons unknown, and made it just dumber than it needed to be now. IT literally makes no sense as to which "Chat" is a message or a "Chat". Now I have 5 messages in my inbox that aren't new messages that I can't find nor get rid of.

Pit Friend #5 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32052 battles
  • [PTATO]

View PostJohn Arrowsmith, on 24 May 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

There is an app on the Xbox called Xbox Accessories that does list you adjust settings on the controller. It might help with constant drift. 

I asked an EOD man how he dealt with the stress of his job. 

He said he didn’t have any stress. Either he was right or else it became someone else’s problem. 

animatethant #6 Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 75995 battles

My solution for controller drift is to buy a new one. 

Drives me nuts. Not worth the hassle when I'm trying to pad my stats and win games lol.

It is what it is.

IBROX 04 #7 Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:34 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19590 battles
  • [BNKR]
Got two controllers with the xbox one x unused and still haven't used one from the old xbox one unused. Apparently now you can button map the standard controllers on xbone. Haven't a clue when that got added? Didn't know you could recalibrate a controller with xbox. Thanks for the heads up john. 

Aaron William Murray                    Forever in our hearts

Highlordwurm #8 Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:36 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17285 battles
  • [54-40]
I have the Elite (XBOX) and it has a dead zone setting (unless that is just a standard thing), I figured that could be used to negate a minor drift issue...

scwirpeo #9 Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:40 PM

Major

• Players
  • 39907 battles
  • [CRY]

View PostCobravert, on 24 May 2019 - 07:13 AM, said:

You can always put in new joystick rockers. They are like 6$ on Amazon and take maybe 15 minutes to complete the process. It's better than burning 70$ on a new controller every time you drop one and it lands face down.

MOEs so I can pretend like they matter

Spoiler

John Arrowsmith #10 Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 72839 battles

View PostIBROX 04, on 24 May 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

Got two controllers with the xbox one x unused and still haven't used one from the old xbox one unused. Apparently now you can button map the standard controllers on xbone. Haven't a clue when that got added? Didn't know you could recalibrate a controller with xbox. Thanks for the heads up john. 

although the guy in the shop insisted it was straight forward,   I can't seem to work out how to do it.   Next time I'm out that way  I'll ask him to show me.

John Arrowsmith #11 Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:37 PM

Major

• Players
  • 72839 battles

View Postscwirpeo, on 24 May 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

You can always put in new joystick rockers. They are like 6$ on Amazon and take maybe 15 minutes to complete the process. It's better than burning 70$ on a new controller every time you drop one and it lands face down.

I paid £5 for 2 years insurance,  so I just keep changing it every few months.    As long you change it before 12 months the policy doesn't require another payment.    Plan is now £7.50  So I guess many people do the same thing.

IBROX 04 #12 Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19590 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostJohn Arrowsmith, on 24 May 2019 - 08:33 PM, said:

although the guy in the shop insisted it was straight forward,   I can't seem to work out how to do it.   Next time I'm out that way  I'll ask him to show me.

Probably a controller app or something . Although i could be wrong. Haven't checked myself. 

Aaron William Murray                    Forever in our hearts

Gallant Prime #13 Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:45 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 42828 battles
  • [47R]

I find this usually works.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users