Tales from the 30B: the Jeanne d'Arc returns for The Machine op

30B

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

fozfactor #1 Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:05 AM

Major

• Players
  • 58733 battles

Have played the 30B a bit since the 4.6/4.7 update and the +50mm turret armor seems to bounce a fair amount during dynamic gameplay. While the 4.7 correction on aim-time and ROF is appreciated a return to the pre-nerfed shell velocity would make the tank everything she was and more, maybe even a contender.

Went back to cap in this battle as we were outnumbered but the team managed to turn it around.

The 4.6 turret...

Spoiler

Half the stuff I do in this tank should probably not be tried at home. :playing:

non nobis solum

matematicalone #2 Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:42 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 1986 battles

Shame it's the only tank in game faster than its own round.

Funktastic Ed #3 Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:03 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18226 battles

They never gave that tank what it deserve anyway.

The real AMX 30-B had some flaws, but it also had some great features.

First its gearbox had inverter, meaning it could go as fast foreward and backward, pretty great in retreat situations, or to keep opponents out of range.

Secondly it had a special hollow charge shell equipped with a stabilisation system making them more efficient in piercing than any counterpart of its time, in deed the nose was stable during flight wich made it less sensible to normalisation.

Using this type of ammo AMX 30B was able to prenetrate almost 400mm of steel 3000 meters away, wich was crazy for its time.

Making it better armored and less accurate is a total betrayal to historical accuracy, AMX30B was weak armored, and crazy accurate, its whole philosophy was to kill before being detected, engaging out of ennemy range, it was never supposed to be in contact.

"Idiots dare everything, that's how you really know they are."

P6X330 #4 Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:35 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15298 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostFunktastic Ed, on 04 June 2019 - 10:03 AM, said:

First its gearbox had inverter, meaning it could go as fast foreward and backward, pretty great in retreat situations, or to keep opponents out of range.

Secondly it had a special hollow charge shell equipped with a stabilisation system making them more efficient in piercing than any counterpart of its time, in deed the nose was stable during flight wich made it less sensible to normalisation.

Using this type of ammo AMX 30B was able to prenetrate almost 400mm of steel 3000 meters away, wich was crazy for its time.

Making it better armored and less accurate is a total betrayal to historical accuracy, AMX30B was weak armored, and crazy accurate, its whole philosophy was to kill before being detected, engaging out of ennemy range, it was never supposed to be in contact.

Having raced with some of my colleagues in turretless versions on the Satory tracks, this tank was indeed very fast and agile, as long as you knew how to change gears to be able to curve. These were skills that unfortunately military pilots never had time to learn because of ever shrinking budgets.

Actually, the B2 was more forgiving since it got an hydrostatic direction coupled with semi automatic gear box. Of course, it could not reverse as before, having lost its inversion capability to a one rear gear.

However, on test tracks, the B2 won hands down over the B, because you could drift the turns like you do in a go kart, something which you could not by braking on the differential.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

Ruslan74 #5 Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19879 battles
Finally unlocked the 30B which means the Tier IX was gladly sold. No intention to buy a similar tank which cannot take any medium or even light on its own terms without a loss so will be skipping the 30B altogether. Its Tier IX was more of a scout and a joke when facing same tier Red mediums.

P6X330 #6 Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:28 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15298 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostRuslan74, on 14 June 2019 - 06:13 AM, said:

Finally unlocked the 30B which means the Tier IX was gladly sold. No intention to buy a similar tank which cannot take any medium or even light on its own terms without a loss so will be skipping the 30B altogether. Its Tier IX was more of a scout and a joke when facing same tier Red mediums.

Sadly, it seems the actual outcome of the AMX's 30 with today's specification. I know I will eventually get back to the grind at some point, but I am leaving it for very last. When I have no other tank line to go after.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

TennisMan56 #7 Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:18 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28968 battles
  • [STDZ]

View PostP6X330, on 14 June 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

Sadly, it seems the actual outcome of the AMX's 30 with today's specification. I know I will eventually get back to the grind at some point, but I am leaving it for very last. When I have no other tank line to go after.

I ground it out for The Machine contract. I do not understand why the tier 9 costs more xp then the tier 10? Unless I had already unlocked one of it's modules. I must say that the tier 7 gun that comes on the base AMX 30 is pure crap. It gets much better but still no CEN 7/1. Will unlock the AMX 30B since I finished the spring games last night.

P6X330 #8 Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:52 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15298 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostTennisMan56, on 14 June 2019 - 10:18 AM, said:

I ground it out for The Machine contract. I do not understand why the tier 9 costs more xp then the tier 10? Unless I had already unlocked one of it's modules. I must say that the tier 7 gun that comes on the base AMX 30 is pure crap. It gets much better but still no CEN 7/1. Will unlock the AMX 30B since I finished the spring games last night.

I have enough free Xp to unlock all the packages of the 30, but what is the point, if the 30B is underwhelming.

TennisMan56 #9 Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:30 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28968 battles
  • [STDZ]

View PostP6X330, on 15 June 2019 - 04:52 PM, said:

I have enough free Xp to unlock all the packages of the 30, but what is the point, if the 30B is underwhelming.

Just unlocking all the tier 10's and the AMX 30 is OK has a great spotting range and the top gun is good if it does not troll you too hard. Unlocked the 30b last night and will buy it in the next couple of nights.

Edited by TennisMan56, 15 June 2019 - 09:31 PM.

BrendenF-99 #10 Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:32 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 31408 battles
  • [-ALF-]

View PostFunktastic Ed, on 04 June 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

i found it funny that if you go and read the description about the tank in-game it even says that the tank was designed with Speed and Firepower in mind, and that they didn't care about armor because of how good tank shells were at that time, then they go and change the tank to prioritize Armor and Speed over Firepower.

the tank in game should be played exactly like the Leopard 1 but i guess WG doesn't like any 2 tanks to be played in the same way.

Funktastic Ed #11 Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:13 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18226 battles

View PostBrendenF-99, on 25 June 2019 - 12:32 AM, said:

the tank in game should be played exactly like the Leopard 1 but i guess WG doesn't like any 2 tanks to be played in the same way.

Oh yeah ?

What about T-54 and all its copies/versions (Ltwt, Type 59, WZ120 etc...) and all its descendants that are already similar in many ways (T62A, obj 140, obj 430 II etc...)

What about T34-85 and all its copies/versions  (Type 58, T34-85M, T34-88...) ?

What about M4 Sherman and all its copies/versions (Grizzli, Fury, boilermaker blahblah so many i can't even remember… )?

What about Panther and all copies/versions (Pudel, Revenant, Warlord, Champion… )?

The "rebalancing" of the AMX30-B is nonsense, nobody asked for this modifications, i did complained many times about trolling shell penetration  and bizarre gun behavior when not fully aimed, but i always thought the tank was fine not having armor, and i loved the shell speed.

Edited by Funktastic Ed, 25 June 2019 - 09:22 PM.

"Idiots dare everything, that's how you really know they are."

Sweat Hog Swami #12 Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:18 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 68161 battles
I'd love the tank if its gun didn't troll me on 60% of my shots taken.

fozfactor #13 Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:53 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58733 battles

View PostSweat Hog Swami, on 25 June 2019 - 04:18 PM, said:

I'd love the tank if its gun didn't troll me on 60% of my shots taken.

Basically we got a minor upgrade to the armor for a minor nerf to accuracy (.30 >> .32) and a big nerf to shell velocity and pen. Tbh I would be happy with just an improvement in the shell velocity, even if it's just to the standard shell and maybe returning the HEATs original pen value. But because of the 30B's mobility and camo value I would still rather play her over the Patton.

non nobis solum

Huncho_Mystic #14 Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:31 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10765 battles
  • [ELDER]

View Postfozfactor, on 30 June 2019 - 11:53 AM, said:

Basically we got a minor upgrade to the armor for a minor nerf to accuracy (.30 >> .32) and a big nerf to shell velocity and pen. Tbh I would be happy with just an improvement in the shell velocity, even if it's just to the standard shell and maybe returning the HEATs original pen value. But because of the 30B's mobility and camo value I would still rather play her over the Patton.

Totally agree- I have created numerous posts (frankly whining posts) asking for the shell velocity to be brought back.  I recall WG saying that the tank was middle of the pack BEFORE the nerfs, and they weren't sure why it was nerfed, and that they would keep an eye on it

Cheetah1728 #15 Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:31 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 35198 battles

View Postfozfactor, on 30 June 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

This is about how I currently feel.

The turret buff is actually nice, but doesn't completely stop ricochets down into the hull, so that's still a thing. I guess the plus is I've been more brave or willing to expose the front of the turret on ridges. Obviously should never park there for too long. The mobility is still actually really good when used correctly. The slightly better aim time combined with other stuff makes it very snappy accurate at times.

The original nerf of .36 accuracy was absolutely stupid, especially since it didn't get the rof buff. Which was the whole point... sloppy dpm machine Instead we got the worst of both ends. The .32 accuracy is ok, still not .30 but I'll take it in trade for the turret armor and gun handling. The reload is still sufficient since they haven't touched it and seem to be on a spree of nerfing it for others. Honestly kinda thankful they didn't worsen it, at least yet...

The penetration I can somewhat work around by flanking or just being selective, but it is annoying when a type 5 heavy with standard ap has 1 more pen than you. It also benefits from overmatching more as it's 140mm vs 105mm. The old pen wasn't even that outragous when many other tier 10 mediums have higher and even have better armor/guns. It was also troll/unreliable within its own right. Then they release the AMX CDA 105 with the old pen and velocity as a tease.

The velocity though, oh gawd the velocity. This is the thing that drives me up the wall the most. It's barely faster than my 121's velocity. I cannot count the number of times I go to hit a target and always forget 'oh yeah, gotta treat this like a high velocity heavy' at tier 9. It's silly and really throws you for a loop considering it's still apcr and is such a drastic change.

All they have to do is restore the shell velocity and maybe penetration it'd be fine(compared to what it is now). If they want to do something else then maybe, I can't really think of anything else glaring bad/op on it. It currently has remarkable handling when moving, so it at least beats the leopard there. If they want to give the leopard 1 some love with gun handling when moving/traversing then so be it. Already has mobility/pen/rof/depression.

The tier 9 amx 30 should also have its shell performance restored for logical reasons. Don't recall anything else they changed and it was honestly a rough grind to upgrade.
Since it'd only be fair the E50 should have its aim time reduced, I see they already hammered the reload on it which was the part that baffled me. It was for the longest time the same as the e50m making the e50m meh. If they reduce the aim time it can actually return to being an armor sniper.

I only mentioned the leopard 1 and e50 because the leopard 1 apparently has a super troll gun and the e50 was brutalised because of WG's own error in the past. This way we don't wind up with overbuffing the 30 b and then obsoleting the peers. As for not wanting 2 tanks to play the same then it's a terrible excuse since they were technically supposed to be the same tank anyways. Also not like we don't have clones elsewhere.

Also tagged with 30B

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users