Jump to content


Commander Mode - pros and cons

Commander Mode

  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

matematicalone #1 Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:47 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 1996 battles
  • 694
  • Member since:
    11-15-2017

So, two days ago I was still almost 200 pts short of finishing Spring Bravo Op. I needed some boost Ops to make it in time and then Commander Mode appeared. I've played first out of curiousity but when I saw after battle report there was a metric ton of ribbons for Bravo Op. Ops tab was also full of different Ops worth 1 pt and with each new game some new Ops appeared on the list. Long story short, I've played more battles in this mode and won 75 pts (more or less I think). Together with that 50 pts Op in MP and daily Ops, I was at 549 pts yesterday when I stopped playing. Just finished my last point and Bravo Op.


 

Commander Mode was pleasent surprise I must say. There are some very positive aspects of it, so let's start with PROS:

1. Opportunity to try out some premium tanks before you buy them. This option was asked for many times here on forum and we can try Vindicator, Ariete, Vengeance, Audace, Patriot and new German Mauerbracher. Well done WG!

2. Mode was full of Ops counting towards Spring Bravo Op. I know most people finished it long time ago, but still it's nice to earn 75 pts in hour or so playing the mode.

3. Playing certain tanks in tanker mode also counts towards contracts signed (at least I think so).

4. Ops in Commander Mode can get you some nice additional rewards, like garage slot, some silver, consumables and final one grants you 3 premium days.

5. There is a certain challenge to it. I've played mostly as tanker and it's easy to win against people who don't know how to move their bot tanks, but there was more than one occasion where tankers got their a55es handed to them by a skilled commander.

6. Silver earned while playing as tanker is handsome I have to say. I've played games up to 130k silver (I think in Audace). It has to be a good game thou, but fact that you play in premium tank is a plus.


 

CONS:

1. It's not possible to train crews in this mode, which is something devs might look into adding in future.

2. It's much easier to play as tanker, playing as commander takes learning some new commands and they're not explained in detail in game.

3. It comes down to how skilled player who commands the bots is. If he is good, he will easily win, because he has some very OP tanks in his bot team (3 Scorpion G's and 3 Atomics + 2 Chryslers). Bot team has 9 tanks vs 6 tanks of live players.


 


 

To sum it up, it's nice addition to the game, opportunity to try out new premium tanks before you buy them, nice earnings, some Op points on the side. I would like to see that possibility to train crews added in future and I can see it as a very popular mode among playerbase (not as MP, but still).


 



 


Salty_Tanker #2 Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

    Major

  • WoTC Ambassador
  • 19938 battles
  • 2,514
  • [GUARD]
  • Member since:
    12-21-2016
I tried it once .  Bounced over 15k in the babyMaus  . #botsdontspamgold

“ Never trust a forum member that uses an Anime profile pic .”      - SaltyMcD 


matematicalone #3 Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 1996 battles
  • 694
  • Member since:
    11-15-2017

Ok, now that I've said some positive things about option to test some premium tanks in Commander Mode, here is my opinion on them:

Audace, most pleasent surprise. This tank is very mobile, hits hard with 400 alpha and can bounce with its armor. It was funny seing 4000 dmg bounced at the report. I would give it 9/10.

Vindicator, solid mobility but it lacks alpha. 6/10.

Ariete, many people bought it, but I have to admit that I don't like it. Auto-reloader mechanism is bad imo and I would take any decent autoloader instead any day. Tank is very nimble and mobile thou. 7/10.

Vengeance, nice surprise (for me). Very solid medium tank, maybe slightly shorter reload would make it great. 8/10.

Patriot, great turret, not so great hull. It's more like a medium than a heavy, very similar to Vengeance, actualy better Vengeance. 8/10.

Mauerbracher (sorry if it's misspronounced), honestly I'm not a fan. Too slow for my taste, gun can hit, but DPM is painful. Traverse is slow althou it does feel like it's faster than some TT German heavies. I'll give it a 6/10, but I'm really not a fan of heavy cumbersome tanks with slow rof.

My $ 0.02.


 


Edited by matematicalone, 25 May 2019 - 01:08 PM.


 


Big Daddy Fried #4 Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:17 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 42721 battles
  • 161
  • [BCA]
  • Member since:
    04-18-2014

I played two games as a tanker yesterday, just to try the mode out. I lost both games. The commander simply kept his team together and drove straight at what ever reds he detected. The tankers would all split up, thus couldn't concentrate fire like the commander did. Having a 3 tank advantage certainly didn't help.

 

I played in the Ariete and the Vengeance. The Ariete was very nimble and quick, plus the gun hit hard. However, the reload was glacial! I will most certainly never consider purchasing it. The Vengeance was pretty much what I would expect from an American medium tank. I did note that you didn't get to add any equipment or consumables to your tank (or at least I didn't figure out how to). That might have made a difference, especially for the Ariete.



matematicalone #5 Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:38 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 1996 battles
  • 694
  • Member since:
    11-15-2017

View PostBig Daddy Fried, on 25 May 2019 - 02:17 PM, said:

I played two games as a tanker yesterday, just to try the mode out. I lost both games. The commander simply kept his team together and drove straight at what ever reds he detected. The tankers would all split up, thus couldn't concentrate fire like the commander did. Having a 3 tank advantage certainly didn't help.

 

I played in the Ariete and the Vengeance. The Ariete was very nimble and quick, plus the gun hit hard. However, the reload was glacial! I will most certainly never consider purchasing it. The Vengeance was pretty much what I would expect from an American medium tank. I did note that you didn't get to add any equipment or consumables to your tank (or at least I didn't figure out how to). That might have made a difference, especially for the Ariete.

 

Yes, no equipment means tank performance can be better than this trial version. The option to add equipment is not available because you don't know which tank you will get, it's random choice.

I've seen some very good strategies to defeat human players. Not splitting the team is number one requirement. Also, bot team has 1 scout, while tanker team has only reduced vision of the medium tanks at best. But skilled commander will use those 3 Scorpion G's to devastating effect with focus fire.



 


BrogueOne #6 Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:38 PM

    Major

  • Supertest - PS4
  • 22753 battles
  • 10,057
  • [ELDER]
  • Member since:
    01-07-2016
I just don’t find the mode to be exciting or interesting.  I’m glad they’ve listened to feedback and offered actual incentives to play, but they should’ve done so at the beginning of Bravo when players were points-crazy.... You’d probably have more players playing it to help finish Bravo early rather than hoping to lure in the stragglers with points.

The rotating premium tanks for Tanker is pretty awesome...... it’s as close as we’ll see to “rentals” for the foreseeable future.  

RE: Vengeance.  You can put equipment and food on it to play live and it’s very comfortable to play(though I’m too cheap for Cola).  Funny how most folks here think it’s a “solid medium” yet PC thinks is “just kinda ok”. :-P

matematicalone #7 Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 1996 battles
  • 694
  • Member since:
    11-15-2017

View PostBrogueOne, on 25 May 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

I just don’t find the mode to be exciting or interesting. I’m glad they’ve listened to feedback and offered actual incentives to play, but they should’ve done so at the beginning of Bravo when players were points-crazy.... You’d probably have more players playing it to help finish Bravo early rather than hoping to lure in the stragglers with points.

The rotating premium tanks for Tanker is pretty awesome...... it’s as close as we’ll see to “rentals” for the foreseeable future.

RE: Vengeance. You can put equipment and food on it to play live and it’s very comfortable to play(though I’m too cheap for Cola). Funny how most folks here think it’s a “solid medium” yet PC thinks is “just kinda ok”. :-P

 

 I agree, they could've enable it earlier this month to have more people play it. For me it was great opportunity to get 75 pts plus garage slot, couple of mil in silver and 3 days premium. That was welcome addition.

As for the excitement, there is some challenge to it, as commander you are trying to beat a team of 6 human players with 9 bot tanks. There is huge advantage in fact that bots obey orders whatever they are, and there is huge handicap too, cause good players are good and they can't be beaten by poor gameplay.

Premium tank tryouts in this mode is probably the most appealing option, I hope they will keep it and change the tanks available for trials with each new event.

 



 


DoomDeliverer4 #8 Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 10701 battles
  • 47
  • Member since:
    02-13-2017

My son and I have really enjoyed it. Its fun to "test drive" premium tanks that you don't own to see how they operate (we already own the Patriot so we get a little bummed when we get placed in it :teethhappy:). To be honest I quite like Vengeance and the French TD (and I am not a fan of most TD's). Can't say that I like the auto-reloading mechanics that much on the Italian tank and the German heavy is just too slow for my tastes... but my son loves it.

 


 

One suggestion, WG should put the tanks that its using for the tanker mode on sale while the Commander Mode is operating. Mark them down in price and don't bundle them with boosts and other stuff. Keep the cost down to tank only prices. I'd buy the Vengeance today if it were a bargain price.


 

I hope they do this game mode again.


 

Happy tanking all!



BrogueOne #9 Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

    Major

  • Supertest - PS4
  • 22753 battles
  • 10,057
  • [ELDER]
  • Member since:
    01-07-2016

View Postmatematicalone, on 25 May 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

 

 I agree, they could've enable it earlier this month to have more people play it. For me it was great opportunity to get 75 pts plus garage slot, couple of mil in silver and 3 days premium. That was welcome addition.

As for the excitement, there is some challenge to it, as commander you are trying to beat a team of 6 human players with 9 bot tanks. There is huge advantage in fact that bots obey orders whatever they are, and there is huge handicap too, cause good players are good and they can't be beaten by poor gameplay.

Premium tank tryouts in this mode is probably the most appealing option, I hope they will keep it and change the tanks available for trials with each new event.

 

Personally, I’d rather not have it return with such frequency.  I’d like to see a monthly Event Mode with a different mode every month, perhaps on the last weekend of every month.

 

January: TOGBoats

February: Commander

March: Lunar Mode(or perhaps a special mode with Vanguards and Banshees playing the part of Leprechauns)

April: Krampus Returns, banish Old Man Winter

May: *insert suggestion*

June: Core Breach 

July: Independence Day (the one where we fight against, instead of as, Lunars)

August: Dogs of Summer Bounty Event

September: Duck Hunt (like TOGboats but with AMX 40s done up as rubber duckies) 

October: Monster Mash

November: Turkey Shoot (like Duck Hunt, but with flying tanks) 

December: Toy Tanks

 

We used to be excited to find out what the next NEW special event mode is, but they quit mixing things up. #makeeventmodesgreatagain



Tempest fox3 #10 Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 20121 battles
  • 17,157
  • [JOCO]
  • Member since:
    08-22-2013

View PostBrogueOne, on 25 May 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

Personally, I’d rather not have it return with such frequency.  I’d like to see a monthly Event Mode with a different mode every month, perhaps on the last weekend of every month.

 

January: TOGBoats

February: Commander

March: Lunar Mode(or perhaps a special mode with Vanguards and Banshees playing the part of Leprechauns)

April: Krampus Returns, banish Old Man Winter

May: *insert suggestion*

June: Core Breach 

July: Independence Day (the one where we fight against, instead of as, Lunars)

August: Dogs of Summer Bounty Event

September: Duck Hunt (like TOGboats but with AMX 40s done up as rubber duckies) 

October: Monster Mash

November: Turkey Shoot (like Duck Hunt, but with flying tanks) 

December: Toy Tanks

 

We used to be excited to find out what the next NEW special event mode is, but they quit mixing things up. #makeeventmodesgreatagain

 

Personally I'd like commanders mode to be available all the time. I want it to be fleshed out more where we can customize our line ups from tanks we own and use our own crews ect. 

 

For example I pick a tier and select 9 tier 8s from my garage and get matched against either a group of tier 8 tankers or another commander using his chosen tier 8 line up. Have xp earned for each tank get applied to that tank and crew. 

 

Maybe allow up to 3 of the same tank? Not everyone is going to have 30+ tier 8s to choose from. 


War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32 - In order obtained


BrogueOne #11 Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

    Major

  • Supertest - PS4
  • 22753 battles
  • 10,057
  • [ELDER]
  • Member since:
    01-07-2016

View PostTempest fox3, on 25 May 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

 

Personally I'd like commanders mode to be available all the time. I want it to be fleshed out more where we can customize our line ups from tanks we own and use our own crews ect. 

 

For example I pick a tier and select 9 tier 8s from my garage and get matched against either a group of tier 8 tankers or another commander using his chosen tier 8 line up. Have xp earned for each tank get applied to that tank and crew. 

 

Maybe allow up to 3 of the same tank? Not everyone is going to have 30+ tier 8s to choose from. 

Have you left this feedback in the official feedback thread?  I might not like Commander at all, but you have some constructive ideas that you should be sharing where they’re looking for it.  Did you happen to see the Dev Diaries they just posted about Commander?  It’s a pet project of Victor (The CEO of WG Global) and it’s obvious they have no intention of stopping development of the Mode.  Heck, turns out the bulk of the work isn’t even being developed in Chicago.... it’s WG Sydney.



Tempest fox3 #12 Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 20121 battles
  • 17,157
  • [JOCO]
  • Member since:
    08-22-2013

View PostBrogueOne, on 25 May 2019 - 03:48 PM, said:

Have you left this feedback in the official feedback thread?  I might not like Commander at all, but you have some constructive ideas that you should be sharing where they’re looking for it.  Did you happen to see the Dev Diaries they just posted about Commander?  It’s a pet project of Victor (The CEO of WG Global) and it’s obvious they have no intention of stopping development of the Mode.  Heck, turns out the bulk of the work isn’t even being developed in Chicago.... it’s WG Sydney.

 

I think I wrote something similar in one of the questionnaires they put up asking for feedback on the commanders mode. 

 

In fact I've left the 'let us customize our tanks' feedback every time they ask for commanders mode feedback. But you're right, it would be a good idea to put such ideas in a location they might actually read. 


War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32 - In order obtained


matematicalone #13 Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:21 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 1996 battles
  • 694
  • Member since:
    11-15-2017

View PostTempest fox3, on 25 May 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

 

I think I wrote something similar in one of the questionnaires they put up asking for feedback on the commanders mode.

 

In fact I've left the 'let us customize our tanks' feedback every time they ask for commanders mode feedback. But you're right, it would be a good idea to put such ideas in a location they might actually read.

 

Are you suggesting that they aren't reading it here? I'm shocked.


 


BrogueOne #14 Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:30 PM

    Major

  • Supertest - PS4
  • 22753 battles
  • 10,057
  • [ELDER]
  • Member since:
    01-07-2016

View Postmatematicalone, on 25 May 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

 

Are you suggesting that they aren't reading it here? I'm shocked.

They make official feedback threads so there’s one central place for members of the Community Team to collect it for reporting.  The General section of the forum can often be fast moving and chaotic and you can’t expect them to catch every bit of feedback here.  It’s like the difference between buying your fish from the market and trying to catch it yourself..... you expect the fish to be in the market, but you have to hunt for it elsewhere.  It’s the same reason there’s a Bug Reports forum; so the WG employees in charge of those things have a special place to look before they look elsewhere.  

 

RaiBOT01 herself has said that she collects feedback from those official threads and sends it up the chain and tells people to leave feedback there precisely because it’s the best way to have your feedback heard! 



matematicalone #15 Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:35 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 1996 battles
  • 694
  • Member since:
    11-15-2017

View PostBrogueOne, on 25 May 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

They make official feedback threads so there’s one central place for members of the Community Team to collect it for reporting.  The General section of the forum can often be fast moving and chaotic and you can’t expect them to catch every bit of feedback here.  It’s like the difference between buying your fish from the market and trying to catch it yourself..... you expect the fish to be in the market, but you have to hunt for it elsewhere.  It’s the same reason there’s a Bug Reports forum; so the WG employees in charge of those things have a special place to look before they look elsewhere.

 

RaiBOT01 herself has said that she collects feedback from those official threads and sends it up the chain and tells people to leave feedback there precisely because it’s the best way to have your feedback heard! 

 

But, but I wrote all positive stuff about it! There are SIX pros vs only 3 (shaky) cons. They love positive feedback and I don't even know where is that thread you've mentioned above. Someone should've read it, now I'm dissapointed and all my enthusiams for the mode is gone.

Spoiler

 


Edited by matematicalone, 25 May 2019 - 04:37 PM.


 


BrogueOne #16 Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:41 PM

    Major

  • Supertest - PS4
  • 22753 battles
  • 10,057
  • [ELDER]
  • Member since:
    01-07-2016

View Postmatematicalone, on 25 May 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

 

But, but I wrote all positive stuff about it! There are SIX pros vs only 3 (shaky) cons. They love positive feedback and I don't even know where is that thread you've mentioned above. Someone should've read it, now I'm dissapointed and all my enthusiams for the mode is gone.

Spoiler

 

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/233498-world-of-tanks-mercenaries-commander-mode/page__pid__4785487#entry4785487

 

Feedback threads for certain Ops and Events can almost always be found in the Developers Bulletin section.  It’s also where RaiBOT01 posts the content from every Tuesday restart.



SPUK4U #17 Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 9353 battles
  • 1,268
  • Member since:
    07-24-2018

Commander mode's biggest fault is that it does not have WoT's content and that is players own tanks and crews.  Now, as you don't have any connection to tanks you command, you don't care if you sacrifice them all in all out assault or drive them all in Hidden Village's river and watch them drown there...:trollface:   


- Ask, Observe, Learn and Improve -

matematicalone #18 Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:23 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 1996 battles
  • 694
  • Member since:
    11-15-2017

View PostSPUK4U, on 25 May 2019 - 06:04 PM, said:

Commander mode's biggest fault is that it does not have WoT's content and that is players own tanks and crews.  Now, as you don't have any connection to tanks you command, you don't care if you sacrifice them all in all out assault or drive them all in Hidden Village's river and watch them drown there...:trollface:  

 

That would be counter-productive, not to say plain stupid, cause there are at least 6 Ops which reward winning. Your example would be about losing and I'm afraid there is no reward for that.


 


matematicalone #19 Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:31 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 1996 battles
  • 694
  • Member since:
    11-15-2017

View PostDoomDeliverer4, on 25 May 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

My son and I have really enjoyed it. Its fun to "test drive" premium tanks that you don't own to see how they operate (we already own the Patriot so we get a little bummed when we get placed in it :teethhappy:). To be honest I quite like Vengeance and the French TD (and I am not a fan of most TD's). Can't say that I like the auto-reloading mechanics that much on the Italian tank and the German heavy is just too slow for my tastes... but my son loves it.

 


 

One suggestion, WG should put the tanks that its using for the tanker mode on sale while the Commander Mode is operating. Mark them down in price and don't bundle them with boosts and other stuff. Keep the cost down to tank only prices. I'd buy the Vengeance today if it were a bargain price.


 

I hope they do this game mode again.


 

Happy tanking all!

 

So someone likes it after all, good to hear I'm not alone. Yes, my impressions about premiums in commander mode are pretty similar to yours. I know I hate that Italian auto-reloader. Maybe it wasn't that bad originally, but since we've received it pre-nerfed from PC we don't know how it's performing with its original stats. Your suggestion about premiums in mode offered with special discount is great. It's like those personal offers, but this time it would be available for everyone willing to play the mode during the event. It could be even a last stage of the Op in mode which unlocks a special offer for premium tank of your choice.


 


SPUK4U #20 Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:24 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 9353 battles
  • 1,268
  • Member since:
    07-24-2018

View Postmatematicalone, on 25 May 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

 

That would be counter-productive, not to say plain stupid, cause there are at least 6 Ops which reward winning. Your example would be about losing and I'm afraid there is no reward for that.

 

There is nothing fun in this Commander mode, you just move all tanks  and order them to focus fire to one enemy at the time until all tankers are gone. You can find same level of content from the mini game that is in the loading screen. 
- Ask, Observe, Learn and Improve -





Also tagged with Commander Mode

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users