FV 4004 Conway

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

TROCKS #21 Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:36 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 16981 battles
  • [47R]
Yeah I played quite a bit with the 5.5 but ended up going back to the 120 because the reliable good DPM just feels better. The 200 hesh pen is very unreliable against most of the tier 8-10 tanks. The 400 alpha is a bit disappointing for a tier 9 TD with very little armor but if played well the tank can be a super effective sniper.

SpeedyCZECH #22 Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:41 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 21493 battles
  • [CSTD2]
I play him with the 120 mm gun. Better DPM gun handling. I teď also the depr gun. Its big damage lotery. Reload 12 seconds for 200 damage? No thanks 

PLK180W #23 Posted 01 January 2020 - 06:34 PM

Major

• Players
  • 61 battles

Not a big fan of the 5.5, it tends to let you down at the most inconvenient moments, with the 120 I can fire a snapshot with a reasonable chance of hitting my mark.

Absolutely abysmal Camo though, even with full Camo and View skills on the crew you can be spotted halfway across the map. Tried Binocs when I first had the tank, (with Rammer and GLD), but the increase in view range just didn't seem worthwhile,  so swapped out for Vents and used it in a closer support role, as long as you can remember that you're a glass cannon you can do pretty well.

Not as enjoyable as the Challenger and Charioteer in its tier, but still a fun tank.

Through The Mud And Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

wake_the_move #24 Posted 01 January 2020 - 06:49 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12496 battles

View PostPLK180W, on 01 January 2020 - 06:34 PM, said:

Absolutely abysmal Camo though, even with full Camo and View skills on the crew you can be spotted halfway across the map. Tried Binocs when I first had the tank, (with Rammer and GLD), but the increase in view range just didn't seem worthwhile,  so swapped out for Vents and used it in a closer support role, as long as you can remember that you're a glass cannon you can do pretty well.

You don‘t need the GLD when using the 120mm. I successfully went with optics, rammer and vents. Got the same setup on my sh*tbarn now. Also got BiA, SA and Recon on my crew.

Edited by wake_the_move, 01 January 2020 - 06:50 PM.

PLK180W #25 Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:45 AM

Major

• Players
  • 61 battles

View Postwake_the_move, on 01 January 2020 - 06:49 PM, said:

You don‘t need the GLD when using the 120mm. I successfully went with optics, rammer and vents. Got the same setup on my sh*tbarn now. Also got BiA, SA and Recon on my crew.

I've got, (deep breath), SS, BIA, Camo, Silent Driving, Muffled Shot, Sit Aware, Recon, Repairs, Snap Shot, Smooth Ride, Clutch Braking,Off Road and Firefighting on my crew.

Whilst not a fan of the 5.5, I do switch between the guns, and the bloom on the 5.5 is pretty impressive! Which is why I fitted the GLD.

Even with the 120mm though, it comes in handy as I can pop out, take my shot and pull back hopefully before the sod I'm shooting at realises I'm there.

Did try the Optics after the Binocs, but I got the distinct impression that I was being out spotted by Heavies so decided to max out the gun handling.

wake_the_move #26 Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:59 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12496 battles

The GLD does nothing for snap shots. A vert. stab. would, but that‘s not available for TDs. You can add the Smooth Ride and Snap Shot skills though, too increase that. The 120mm however is good for snap shots per se. My crew got Track Mechanic, Repairs, SS, BiA, SA, Recon, Clutch Breaking, Pain Tolerance, Safe Stowage, and Jack of all Trades,

Typically heavies do not outspot you with binos. You are somewhat at equal ground with those. Maybe there was a  light doing passive scouting. Also mediums can outspot you. At least those with camo ratings beyond 0.20.

Edited by wake_the_move, 02 January 2020 - 10:04 AM.

PLK180W #27 Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:35 AM

Major

• Players
  • 61 battles

View Postwake_the_move, on 02 January 2020 - 09:59 AM, said:

The GLD does nothing for snap shots. A vert. stab. would, but that‘s not available for TDs. You can add the Smooth Ride and Snap Shot skills though, too increase that. The 120mm however is good for snap shots per se. My crew got Track Mechanic, Repairs, SS, BiA, SA, Recon, Clutch Breaking, Pain Tolerance, Safe Stowage, and Jack of all Trades,

Typically heavies do not outspot you with binos. You are somewhat at equal ground with those. Maybe there was a  light doing passive scouting. Also mediums can outspot you. At least those with camo ratings beyond 0.20.

GLD does nothing for snap shots as the tank needs to be at a stand still for the GLD to kick in, but what it does do is settle the sights quicker when I'm popping out of cover and shooting at a more distant target.

I was being sarky about heavies out spotting me, even with a full skills set up, my detection circle is still usually larger then my view range, and when I fire, I think I might be visible from orbit!

I tried both Optics and Binos, but the increase in view range I felt wasn't  worth while enough so instead went for my set up to maximise the gun handling. I earned up my second stripe on the Conway before unlocking the 5.5 so it must be working ok for me

wake_the_move #28 Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:15 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12496 battles
For me the gun handling of the 120mm worked out as is, so I choose the 10% increase in view range. Because gun handling does not help if you can‘t see. Vision is king in this game, and while the 390 m view range of the Conway aren‘t shabby, there clearly is room for improvement. And since most light tank players, that are put into my green teams are either stupid, or suicidal, or both...

PLK180W #29 Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:57 AM

Major

• Players
  • 61 battles

View Postwake_the_move, on 03 January 2020 - 08:15 PM, said:

Vision is king in this game, and while the 390 m view range of the Conway aren‘t shabby, there clearly is room for improvement. And since most light tank players, that are put into my green teams are either stupid, or suicidal, or both...

Totally agree, amount of times I've been in a match and spotting Reds before the Lights on my team...

Trouble is, the average view range at these tiers is about 400m...

wake_the_move #30 Posted 04 January 2020 - 05:22 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12496 battles

View PostPLK180W, on 04 January 2020 - 11:57 AM, said:

Totally agree, amount of times I've been in a match and spotting Reds before the Lights on my team...

Trouble is, the average view range at these tiers is about 400m...

All the more reason, why optics can come in very handy.

PLK180W #31 Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:36 AM

Major

• Players
  • 61 battles

View Postwake_the_move, on 04 January 2020 - 05:22 PM, said:

All the more reason, why optics can come in very handy.

Well, I'll give them another go, last time I tried them the crew wasn't 100% so see how much more

difference that'll make now, still think I might be on a losing battle playing the vision game though...

Koncorde #32 Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:15 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 25381 battles
I put binocs on almost every tank I run that isn't a Russian heavy. I bank on the fact a lot of players don't bother putting equipment on at all, and / or are running with subpar crews. Any additional metres view range is a few seconds (at least) to make a shot, and get some spotting assist.

FromBravo2Kilo #33 Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:41 AM

Major

• Players
  • 22268 battles
  • [47R]
I finished the Conway today.  It’s not marked, but wanted to complete the grind while the T Xs are on sale.  Don’t think it was bad at all.  The 120mm was reliable.  5.5-in was a little disappointing and definitely drains silver running premium HESH.  What I did like about the 5.5-in was dealing with hull down tanks.  Especially T Xs.  Keep chipping away and even the most stubborn players get the hint that maybe this isn’t the best spot for me.  Every now and then you get lucky and smack the couple.  Camo wasn’t great, but wasn’t horrible either.  My crew doesn’t have Green Thumb, but Camo, Muffled Shot and Silent Drive worked well enough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users