D-Day 75th anniversary - Heroes! Houston 2019

D-Day 75th anniversary operation overlord celebration gala Houston 2019 Veterans

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

P6X330 #1 Posted 02 June 2019 - 03:43 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 16054 battles
  • [AMXS]

Yesterday, June 1st 2019, I had the chance to be invited to a Gala to celebrate the 75th anniversary of operation Overlord here in Houston, Texas.

For those of us who still keep an ear tuned to our past, I thought I would share that solemn moment with you.

The left hand most veteran is 95 years old, and was one of those whom debarked on Utah beach, in Normandy.

During the evening, these veterans were brought together on stage, and asked to share some of the moments they went through.

Of course, we all know what happened that day, but listening to someone describing it as he went through it, and survived it, was something incredibly strong and heart-rending;

Running for his life, under German fire, with comrades falling around. The air buzzing from the sound of the bullets and resonating with explosions... surviving it and telling us how these men basically knew what was the likely outcome...

How incredibly generous, putting their most precious gift in the balance for the rest of us...

Posted ImageD-Day 75th veterans

Posted Image20190601 D-Day Gala 75th anniversary Lonestar Museum Houston 01-May-2019

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

FromBravo2Kilo #2 Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:47 AM

Major

• Players
  • 21927 battles
  • [47R]
That’s awesome that you got to attend the event.  I love hearing the stories.  Very shortly that’s all we’ll have (along with the memories).  One gentleman I can call on is a Vietnam Veteran.  Had a small birthday party with another sandbox Veteran in attendance.  He loved hearing our stories as much as we loved hearing his.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users