Unfavorable Match Making? Bottom Tier? is it really as bad as some report? let's review the pros...

Match Making bottom tier

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

P6X330 #1 Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:26 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 16076 battles
  • [AMXS]

Months go by, and invariably there will be a post about the "terrible" match making, continuous strands of being bottom Tier.

Why is it bad? or is it bad?

What are the pros and cons:

Pros:

Lower Tier makes more XP;

Good for training shot avoidance;

Cons:

View range;

Penetration;

In my opinion, these are the main ones.

So take a look at that battle I had in my F224 AMX Chaffee; remember, the AMX Chaffee is a Tier VI, slapped Tier VII with an additional 10% crew Xp to make it 30% total. But it is the same tank as it was released a long time ago. 75mm gun, 6 shots, 56 km/h;

What do you think the awards would be? look inside the spoiler. Worth it? personally, I have no problem being bottom Tier. It is not like I enjoy it always, but there are perks...

Posted ImageTeams

Spoiler

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

Pontiac Pat #2 Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:45 AM

Major

• WoTC Tournaments Contributor
  • 25750 battles
  • [47R]
It really depends on the tank.  Some tanks do quite well as bottom tier, others become near useless.  While it's ok when mixed up from one battle to the next, it can become mind-blowingly frustrating when you don't see top tier for an entire gaming session.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe

atwilliams07 #3 Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:58 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30179 battles

I must admit, I was one of those folk who got continuously frustrated at (seemingly) always being bottom tier, until I worked out the advantages you have mentioned, and realised there is more than one way to play the same tank and that you can influence the outcome from bottom tier.

One tactic I have adopted which works well (for me anyway) is playing a tier 8 heavy as a “medium” when in tier X.  That is, very close to the front line, but not being the spearhead as you might be in 8’s and 9’s.  You can get some great XP and influence the game by doing things which keep your tier X heavies alive.  Often this can be as simple as being the extra “gun in the game” even if you are just tracking the reds and stopping them rushing a position. 

Whilst I agree this can be very tank dependant, it also teaches you to understand the strengths and weakness of your own tank AND of the higher tier tanks, something which you can often ignore when you are top tier.

PS:  My pet hate with the MM, is when it decides to allocated an uneven number of top tier tanks to one side or the other - often predetermining the outcome before the battle starts, particularly in higher tiers.

dreadnought8283 #4 Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:16 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 7032 battles

View PostP6X330, on 03 June 2019 - 05:26 PM, said:

Months go by, and invariably there will be a post about the "terrible" match making, continuous strands of being bottom Tier.

Why is it bad? or is it bad?

What are the pros and cons:

Pros:

Lower Tier makes more XP;

Good for training shot avoidance;

Cons:

View range;

Penetration;

In my opinion, these are the main ones.

So take a look at that battle I had in my F224 AMX Chaffee; remember, the AMX Chaffee is a Tier VI, slapped Tier VII with an additional 10% crew Xp to make it 30% total. But it is the same tank as it was released a long time ago. 75mm gun, 6 shots, 56 km/h;

What do you think the awards would be? look inside the spoiler. Worth it? personally, I have no problem being bottom Tier. It is not like I enjoy it always, but there are perks...

Posted ImageTeams

Spoiler

tbh light tanks bottom tier dont really matter nor do TDs an arty, buts mediums it becomes more problematic an with heavies difficult because your armor/mobility/gun all suck low tiered. So if say it just depends what your playing which makes bottom tier more or less flavorful.

JelliedPenny08 #5 Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16249 battles

I also find this is a tank choice situation. Some tanks it is much less of a problem to be bottom tier all the time. I find the problems arise when you aren't, or can't, play those tanks. Like if you are doing a contract. 

I also find that some tanks thrive on being bottom tier, mainly support tanks with good pen and viewrange. 

P6X330 #6 Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:18 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 16076 battles
  • [AMXS]

I agree some tanks can hold better than others when bottom Tier.

However, I also noticed that we keep playing the same way (I speak for myself) when we are in an unfavorable environment. Now, when I am bottom Tier, I make an effort to alter how I play.

With the AMX Chaffee, it is easy. Even when top Tier, you are one of the weakest.

But with better tanks, I have had the tendency to forget to change my game play if bottom Tier. Especially, when playing Tier VIII, there is a good chance you can and will be spotted while you are still blind.

All being said, if we can alter our play style to meet the Tier we are playing in, the results are not as frustrating.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

BiggestHustle #7 Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:59 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 21815 battles
I don't mind being bottom tier when I am in a light tank. You can get some monster spotting damage games. I struggle more in mediums and heavies when bottom tier.
I love my job- Jungle Recon

choppermeir #8 Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:25 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 9945 battles
  • [FILTH]

View Postatwilliams07, on 04 June 2019 - 03:58 AM, said:

I must admit, I was one of those folk who got continuously frustrated at (seemingly) always being bottom tier, until I worked out the advantages you have mentioned, and realised there is more than one way to play the same tank and that you can influence the outcome from bottom tier.

One tactic I have adopted which works well (for me anyway) is playing a tier 8 heavy as a “medium” when in tier X.  That is, very close to the front line, but not being the spearhead as you might be in 8’s and 9’s.  You can get some great XP and influence the game by doing things which keep your tier X heavies alive.  Often this can be as simple as being the extra “gun in the game” even if you are just tracking the reds and stopping them rushing a position. 

Whilst I agree this can be very tank dependant, it also teaches you to understand the strengths and weakness of your own tank AND of the higher tier tanks, something which you can often ignore when you are top tier.

PS:  My pet hate with the MM, is when it decides to allocated an uneven number of top tier tanks to one side or the other - often predetermining the outcome before the battle starts, particularly in higher tiers.

this is precisely how I feel about it
Streaming over on http://www.twitch.tv/choppermeir 

EJOUIE #9 Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:43 PM

Private

• Players
  • 11793 battles

To play bottom tier well, there are cases where one has to swallow their pride and do whats best for the team.

Yesterday I was the only tier 7 in a mostly tier 9 game. 10 tier IX on each team. Reds had 5 tier 8's. Greens had 4 tier VIIIs and me in my hammer.

I knew that the odds of me having a high damage output were slim and that trying to use my gun for XP would not be a good plan. 203 pen is just not consistent enough to take on tier 9s frontally.

So, I found myself a T95 that was trying to catch up with the fast moving tier 9 heavy tank front line. I became his dedicated extra horsepower. I was able to increase is average speed by about 2 kmph. We made a good team.

I would accelerate him to the enemy. His armor would protect my hull as I would fire HE at the enemy's tracks. He got the kills, I got the tracking assists. If the enemy tried to flank, I would switch to AP and peel out and flank the flanker, then track them, and get back into formation.

I finished the game with about 3,750 XP.  After premium and the "Part of the Team" Op.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users