You are in a heavy with a slow traversing turret, you get attacked by a light that cannot CoD you be...

light defense heavy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

P6X330 #1 Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:20 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15929 battles
  • [AMXS]

So, I am in my M4 51, I am doing ok, having farmed some damage, unfortunately, kind of alone on my flank. The team is folding, and a light comes to get me. It is a LTB.

He could not do the CoD, because we were in the dunes, and I was in a dip, and close to the map border. So he kept going back and forth.

And because the camera is actually coupled to your gun, if you want to keep a visual on what it does, you get your gun to traverse following the general direction of your gaze.

I am thinking, that it maybe smarter to keep the gun steady, and just traverse the chassis, what do you guys do, in similar situations?

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

Sadriel Fett #2 Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:49 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 28032 battles
  • [A4C]
Call of Duty?

~ "This game would be great, if it wasn't for our teammates." ~

~ There's no such thing as Arty Safe. You have to play Arty Aware. You have to play SmArty. ~

Pontiac Pat #3 Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:26 AM

Major

• WoTC Tournaments Contributor
  • 25553 battles
  • [47R]
I can usually keep track of them via the mini-map.  Also, there is a control for locking the turret so you can pan without changing your turret orientation.  Which one it is depends on your control scheme.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe

SPUK4U #4 Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:46 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 10961 battles

View PostPontiac Pat, on 07 June 2019 - 02:26 AM, said:

I can usually keep track of them via the mini-map.  Also, there is a control for locking the turret so you can pan without changing your turret orientation.  Which one it is depends on your control scheme.

The map awareness is important. When team spots the light tank closing in you have opportunity to take first shot if you are prepared for it. Learning to glance minimap instead of radar will give you this awareness. Move your tank in place where light tank can't circle me or shoot it in the back and switch HE ammo. HE shell will cause lot of damage to Light tank so carry  couple of those just in case you need to defend yourself. If you get attacked and he starts the circle, you can couter turn it and use HE to slam Light back into the garage. 

- Ask, Observe, Learn and Improve -

P6X330 #5 Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:28 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15929 battles
  • [AMXS]

Locking the turret would be fine if you could do it when required, however it is something you need to enable in options, no time to do that when under pressure.

You are aware how long it takes for the M4 51 to reload. I did not shoot, because I could never get my gun at the right place at the right time, as I was always trailing him, instead of leading. He kept changing directions, and did not have to do anything other than keeping auto-aim on me. If my gun had not followed my gazing direction, I would have caught him on a turn, but I was always too far behind.

Next time, I will not traverse my turret but only my chassis. And I may need to train "clutch braking".

Edited by P6X330, 07 June 2019 - 04:36 PM.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

P6X330 #6 Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:26 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15929 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostPontiac Pat, on 06 June 2019 - 08:26 PM, said:

Also, there is a control for locking the turret so you can pan without changing your turret orientation. 

I looked under Game controls, and the only lock that exists if for Artillery. I did not see anything that allows you to lock the turret from traversing.

By the way, I did a few tests with only traversing the chassis, and it is like the turret is mounted on gimbals for the first 10 degrees. The chassis traverse but the turret does not. It is just like a turret less tank. The chassis moves without moving the gun, until you reach the maximum traverse, and then the gun moves too.

ECT unCOUNTed #7 Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:38 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29008 battles
By default on Xbox you press and hold the RB, PS4 should be the R1. As long as you keep it pressed the turret is locked to the hull.

P6X330 #8 Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:34 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15929 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostECT unCOUNTed, on 08 June 2019 - 05:38 AM, said:

By default on Xbox you press and hold the RB, PS4 should be the R1. As long as you keep it pressed the turret is locked to the hull.

Thanks! I will look for it next time I play.

Highlordwurm #9 Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:53 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17633 battles

Ya, holding RB is crucial!  I use it so much I broke my RB :(  not to be a jerk, but, the best way to deal with that situation is to not find yourself in it.  As a scout, that is what I look for:  lonely heavies.

Its tough and sometimes it happens despite your best efforts, I know you said you were in the dunes, so kinda doesn't help, but get your butt up against something; a rock, a destroyed tank, the map edge, heck! even a steep dune could work!  The best thing I can say is relevant to almost any desperate situation like this... don't give up!  don't get frustrated and try to wait for the red to get frustrated and do something stupid first.  For example in your scenario, a light playing peek a boo with a heavy is usually a bad idea:  he will be trying to pen your front and will have to hit you multiple times, you probably only have to hit him once.  Also, depending on the team layout, holding out until friendlies show up is an option.

But, ya, sometimes you get yourself in an unwinnable situation and all you can really do is go back over the game and figure out what you did that got you in the situation in the first place, there is where the lesson lies.

Koncorde #10 Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:28 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24776 battles
Yeah, turret lock by holding RB is essential. Lets you hold your gun in position while making forward progress.

It should be the default "target this enemy" button.

Also tagged with light, defense, heavy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users