Can we get some TLC for the Japanese tech tree?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Tempest fox3 #1 Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:05 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 20434 battles
  • [JOCO]

It's all well and good having many "Buff the chinese" threads, they need it. But everyone seems to have forgotten the Japanese tech tree exists. The Chinese tech tree at least has a couple of standout tanks, I can't think of any Japanese tanks that really stand out or perform particularly well. 

They have two very mediocre tier 10's and everything else in the line is either entirely forgettable or outright useless. The heavies honestly suck, you took away the good gun from the O-I Exp but didn't give it the armour buff to compensate so now it have no armour and no useful gun. The O-I is fine as is but the O-Nii onwards are useless dead weights on the team. Too slow to get anywhere useful, armour made out of swiss cheese and anaemic guns.

The only memorable medium is the Chi-Ri with its 3 shot autoloader and fast Burst/Reload gameplay (Can we get more autoloaders with this style? Low burst damage but quick to unload/reload), The rest of the mediums are poor offerings compared to their Russian, British or American counterparts

And are we ever going to get Japanese TD's / Arty? There's enough historical and paper designs to cobble together a TD and Arty line.

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32 - In order obtained

ATHFjman18 #2 Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:18 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18218 battles
  • [JOCO]

I fell in love with the STA-1 and recently invested in my STA-2 Black. Also the Chi-Nu and Chi-Nu Kai are fun. 

Would be interesting to see a TD line, but obviously PC would have to implement it first...we never get things first.

In the end, I think we got a gift when the STB-1 nerf was reverted...asking for more might ruin the juju. :teethhappy:

gurkha_arg #3 Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:19 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18874 battles
  • [-BAT-]
Nice

Tempest fox3 #4 Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:36 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 20434 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostATHFjman18, on 11 June 2019 - 11:18 PM, said:

I fell in love with the STA-1 and recently invested in my STA-2 Black. Also the Chi-Nu and Chi-Nu Kai are fun. 

Would be interesting to see a TD line, but obviously PC would have to implement it first...we never get things first.

In the end, I think we got a gift when the STB-1 nerf was reverted...asking for more might ruin the juju. :teethhappy:

Even unnerfed, it's not like the STB-1 is competitive. It's an awkward kid ground between the leo1 and the M48 and can't do either playstyle. 

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32 - In order obtained

Very Classy #5 Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:38 PM

Major

• Players
  • 31601 battles
  • [JOCO]

I really don't want arty lines to finish up. Two is plenty. Lol

However, there doesn't seem to be too many Japanese vehicles in MM. Could definitely use some love.

There is literally an Xbox 360 in a museum, and this is the best joke you can come up with?
                                                                                         -- allhavoc

ATHFjman18 #6 Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:43 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18218 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostTempest fox3, on 11 June 2019 - 06:36 PM, said:

Even unnerfed, it's not like the STB-1 is competitive. It's an awkward kid ground between the leo1 and the M48 and can't do either playstyle. 

While I don’t have it yet, it does seem UP when I watch people play it. I’m sure their spreadsheet says it has a 50.2% WR or something and is performing above-average...

Tempest fox3 #7 Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:15 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 20434 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostATHFjman18, on 11 June 2019 - 11:43 PM, said:

While I don’t have it yet, it does seem UP when I watch people play it. I’m sure their spreadsheet says it has a 50.2% WR or something and is performing above-average...

Probably why it got nerfed in the first place. 

scwirpeo #8 Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:17 AM

Major

• Players
  • 40514 battles
  • [CRY]
Why? They have two competitive medium lines to chose from.:trollface: who wouldn't want to play the type 5 medium in tier ten with less premium pen than a tier 8 TT heavy.

View PostATHFjman18, on 11 June 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

They will naturally ignore the ground resistance soft stats and hit percentage in favor of that win rate and Nerf it probably.

Personally I can't wait to see how they butcher it's PC update when we get it. I'm calling it now, we will get 360 alpha and not a single one of the buffs.

MOEs so I can pretend like they matter

Spoiler

John-berg1995 #9 Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:34 AM

Major

• Players
  • 12449 battles
  • [CIA]

View PostTempest fox3, on 11 June 2019 - 11:05 PM, said:

It's all well and good having many "Buff the chinese" threads, they need it. But everyone seems to have forgotten the Japanese tech tree exists. The Chinese tech tree at least has a couple of standout tanks, I can't think of any Japanese tanks that really stand out or perform particularly well. 

They have two very mediocre tier 10's and everything else in the line is either entirely forgettable or outright useless. The heavies honestly suck, you took away the good gun from the O-I Exp but didn't give it the armour buff to compensate so now it have no armour and no useful gun. The O-I is fine as is but the O-Nii onwards are useless dead weights on the team. Too slow to get anywhere useful, armour made out of swiss cheese and anaemic guns.

The only memorable medium is the Chi-Ri with its 3 shot autoloader and fast Burst/Reload gameplay (Can we get more autoloaders with this style? Low burst damage but quick to unload/reload), The rest of the mediums are poor offerings compared to their Russian, British or American counterparts

And are we ever going to get Japanese TD's / Arty? There's enough historical and paper designs to cobble together a TD and Arty line.

The OI exp was absolutely broken and there is nothing you can say that will change my mind on that. 300 damage on a tier V! you don't see that kind of alpha normally until the tier 6 T-150 and it has to pay for that with a disgusting 3.4 second aim time. 

Shaving off half the health of an equal tier tank is completely retarded and made no sense. maybe if the gun did...200 damage...maybe..220 while other heavies do 110-160 it could be slightly harder hitting but 300 damage is damn near double the damage of other tanks and it had a decent reload too....

Sorry but yeah that tank needed the nerf, as far as your post is concerned. Yes. The Japanese need some love. Particularly the medium line. The 15cm gun on the type 5 medium doesn't have enough penetration on it's premium round :trollface:

Jokes aside. The STB-1 could use some serious attention. 

fozfactor #10 Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:38 AM

Major

• Players
  • 58898 battles
The STB-1 is far from being the red-headed stepchild but as one of the three tier X mediums I'm partial to running I would not complain with a little extra love.

non nobis solum

XT356 #11 Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:06 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9401 battles
  • [WOOO]
Yeah, buff the damn turret. Or make the gun more accurate.
“Greatness is a transitory experience. It is never consistent. It depends in part upon the myth-making imagination of humankind. The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in. He must reflect what is projected upon him. And he must have a strong sense of the sardonic. This is what uncouples him from belief in his own pretensions. The sardonic is all that permits him to move within himself. Without this quality, even occasional greatness will destroy a man.”

Joco3000 #12 Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:39 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 26499 battles
  • [JOCO]
As PC have only just released some changes to the STB-1 and friends, it might be worthwhile waiting to see how those work out.

As to newer tanks, there are a few. In terms of autoloaders, I know of two.
The STA-3, which is much like an autoloading STA-2 or Type 61. Minor differences, no 105mm gun.
The other one is actually the STB-1. Perhaps introducing a STB-3 and allowing the STB-1 to autoloader could help out the tank?

You can PM with with questions, if you wish. I don't bite.

Compilation thread of my ideas

M4ntiX #13 Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

Major

• Players
  • 28120 battles
  • [JOCO]

Maybe when the STB-1 gets the hydropneumatic suspension and 12 degrees of gd it will git gud... :hiding:

"4 kids single father 2 boats a plane 3cars and more battles than you."

"Jesus you smegheads are whiny about your Epeens."

Vampire_Izumi #14 Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

Major

• Players
  • 25741 battles
  • [LEONI]

since we have the premium KV-2 now, could the Kaiju get a 152mm now? (tank feels very easily killed, so the 152mm would help a lot)

i 100% agree that the japanese tech tree needs buffs.

Edited by Vampire_Izumi, 12 June 2019 - 08:33 AM.

A lie about a lie turns inside out upon itself. - Magane chikujoin   

Marks of Excellence:

Tempest fox3 #15 Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:35 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 20434 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostJohn-berg1995, on 12 June 2019 - 02:34 AM, said:

The OI exp was absolutely broken and there is nothing you can say that will change my mind on that. 300 damage on a tier V! you don't see that kind of alpha normally until the tier 6 T-150 and it has to pay for that with a disgusting 3.4 second aim time. 

Shaving off half the health of an equal tier tank is completely retarded and made no sense. maybe if the gun did...200 damage...maybe..220 while other heavies do 110-160 it could be slightly harder hitting but 300 damage is damn near double the damage of other tanks and it had a decent reload too....

Sorry but yeah that tank needed the nerf, as far as your post is concerned. Yes. The Japanese need some love. Particularly the medium line. The 15cm gun on the type 5 medium doesn't have enough penetration on it's premium round :trollface:

Jokes aside. The STB-1 could use some serious attention. 

Never claimed the O-I Exp didn't need the gun removed. But without that gun it has nothing going for it, pc at least buffed the Armour to make it an OK brawler. Console did nothing besides removing the gun. 

BigHundy #16 Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9707 battles
  • [FCCM]

I feel like the medium line is decent until the type 61. It just feels bland to me and most other tier 9s outclass it in everyway.

The heavies are downright useless and I don't even know how you fix them?

Type 61 and stb-1 need buffs.

Heavy line needs complete overhaul. 

As for arty and TD, meh doesn't interest me

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol, and cheap women. The other half I wasted -  W.C. Fields

On the last day of your life, don't forget to die.

Tempest fox3 #17 Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:20 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 20434 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostBigHundy, on 12 June 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

I feel like the medium line is decent until the type 61. It just feels bland to me and most other tier 9s outclass it in everyway.

The heavies are downright useless and I don't even know how you fix them?

Type 61 and stb-1 need buffs.

Heavy line needs complete overhaul. 

As for arty and TD, meh doesn't interest me

Tier 1 to 4 on the mediums are decent. Tier 5 to 7 are slow, unarmoured and huge.

They have decent guns at least and the Chi-Ri is fun with the autoloader.

The STA-1 isn't any faster than a Pershing despite having none of the Armour of a Pershing and pretty much the same gun. Likewise the Type 61 is irrelevant when you could just play a Leopard PTA or Standard B. Be more mobile and have better gun handling. 

The STB-1 could do with an engine buff and a gun handling buff. Or at least a gun handling buff. It currently sits in between the Leopard 1 and the M48 Patton in terms of playstyle but has none of the gun handling of either, none of the Leopards speed and none of the M48's Armour. 

John Arrowsmith #18 Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 76112 battles

View PostVampire_Izumi, on 12 June 2019 - 08:32 AM, said:

since we have the premium KV-2 now, could the Kaiju get a 152mm now? (tank feels very easily killed, so the 152mm would help a lot)

i 100% agree that the japanese tech tree needs buffs.

A T7 Kaiju?  I'll pass on that.

World of tanks Auto lock edition,  because aiming shouldn't be a skill.

BigHundy #19 Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9707 battles
  • [FCCM]

Call me weird but I liked the Chi-nu and the Chi-to.

The STA-1 took me a long while to on with. I cursed that tank for a year before finally clicking with it.

I didn't think it was fair seeing as it's largely mediocre compared to it's tier 8 counterparts, and it's brother the STA-2 was plain better and got PMM.

But the DPM is nice and if you can get it to work, it can be effective. So not really OP or UP. Just kind of there.

The entire nation, to be honest, is lacking. I think the heavies should have massive derp guns it would make it fun at least. Make them all big slow kv-2s

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol, and cheap women. The other half I wasted -  W.C. Fields

On the last day of your life, don't forget to die.

loki131313 #20 Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:13 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24572 battles

View PostJohn-berg1995, on 12 June 2019 - 02:34 AM, said:

The OI exp was absolutely broken 

The OI exp was absolutely awesome. Yes it was. 

Of course, now that they have nerf'd it to oblivion, it has two salient features-

1. It sucks.

2 Nevertheless, players that remember when it didn't suck (like me) reflexively kill it immediately, because of muscle memory. You know, "OI-Exp ... KILL IT WITH FIRE!"

So now it sucks, and people still kill it on sight. Good times!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users