controller Astro C40 TR after market

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

P6X330 #1 Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:14 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 16076 battles
  • [AMXS]

I posted a comprehensive review of the Razer Raiju controller in Tank Academy in 2018.

I have discovered a new arrival, from Astro. Astro is well known for their gaming headsets. As with the Razer, Scuff, and other Nacon, these after market "specialized" controllers are supposed to give you an advantage over the OEM ones. Unfortunately, at a hefty price point. The C40 TR does not disappoint at $200;

These products are aimed at the so-called "pro" gamers, or "e-sports" as it is common to call it.

Because I play many auto-loaders, the "reload container" button located on the "D pad" forces me to move my thumb from the stick. At times, when I am rabbiting, a slight slow down, and I am dead. And I do not want to wait to reload a fresh magazine. Yes, there are ways around it, such as shooting your last shell, to initiate the reload.

That, and the switch between gun and camera zooms, by depressing the right stick. Sometimes, you change the gun's azimuth because the motion is not exactly vertical on R3.

This is what made me purchase a Razer. Unfortunately, a poor quality product, with a lot of irremediable flaws that overshadowed the perks of being able to re-map R3 and L3 and reload container to additional buttons.

But I am still hopeful to find a better quality after market non OEM controller.

So, if any of you has a C40 TR from Astro, and playing it in World of Tanks, I would be interested to know your opinion.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

donny007-THX #2 Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:55 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22905 battles

Astro looks very similar to the Nacon, with a few differences of course.  I have the Razer, Scuff and Nacon.  Nacon is my favorite with the Razer in the basement.  Don't know how the Astro feels in the hand but the layout and ergonomics look good.  The bottom buttons are a better solution than the paddles like on the Scuff.

When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said, the man with a pistol's a dead man. Let's see if that's true. Go ahead, load up and shoot.

P6X330 #3 Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 16076 battles
  • [AMXS]

View Postdonny007-THX, on 13 June 2019 - 07:55 AM, said:

Astro looks very similar to the Nacon, with a few differences of course.  I have the Razer, Scuff and Nacon.  Nacon is my favorite with the Razer in the basement.  Don't know how the Astro feels in the hand but the layout and ergonomics look good.  The bottom buttons are a better solution than the paddles like on the Scuff.

I did consider the Nacon for a while, but their software only runs on Windows, unless something has changed.

From what I read on Amazon, the C40 TR seems to be "better built", however, I know I have different standards when it comes to quality.

And you can currently get an OEM PS4 dual shock controllers for less than $40.... adding a few Kontrol Freek appendices on the thumb sticks and you are still a lot better off on the money side.

I may try the C40.

Major issue being it is not bluetooth, so you need a dongle to be plugged into your PS4 to use it wireless.

Minor issue, it does not start the PS4, and my consoles are hidden from the view, not easily accessible to frequent manual starts. But that's not a big deal. I can always start up with an OEM controller, and switch after.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

P6X330 #4 Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:23 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 16076 battles
  • [AMXS]

After having watched all the available material on YouTube, read the reviews on Amazon.com, I think I am going to give this controller a try.

It seems better built than the competitors, and I like the modular conception which allows you to configure it as an offset or parallel thumb sticks. And I definitively would like to try the "omni/disc" feature instead of a regular "D pad" architecture.

I am currently negotiating with Astro to replace the useless carrying case with a D pad pack; same price 20 bucks...

They also have a feature that allows you to reset your sticks to cancel out any possible drift that would arise from intensive play. This does not sound very good though. I do have a dual shock controller with an unusable left stick. But it was really abused by the kids.

Else, none of my OEM dual shock controllers ever drifted on their own, and they have been dropped and heavily played by rough hands.

I am awaiting Astro's answer on replacing the case with the D pad omni. If they accept, then I will go ahead with the purchase and will review the controller when used with World of Tanks.

P6X330 #5 Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:15 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 16076 battles
  • [AMXS]

Ordered today:

Planned delivery tomorrow June 15th, 2019

Becky (ASTRO Gaming)

Jun 14, 6:56 AM PDT

HI P6X330,

Thank you for the email and for your feedback.  We currently do not offer the Omni D Pad with the C40TR controller.  The only way to get the pad is to place an order for it.

Thanks again.

Have a great day,

Becky
ASTRO Gaming CRT

P6X330

Jun 13, 4:58 PM PDT

I am interested in purchasing a C40 TR, but I do not need a carrying case.
I do not even understand who would have a use for that accessory, when most of the users spend their time at home.
The Omni D-Pad is much more important, and it cost the same price as the carry case, which I will never ever use.
Is there any way to get a C40 TR with the Omni D Pad included and not the Carrying case?

Edited by P6X330, 14 June 2019 - 03:21 PM.

P6X330 #6 Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:48 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 16076 battles
  • [AMXS]

edit 3:

Just before returning the controller, I wanted to give it a few more attempts, and I did experience two more disconnections this morning, within a one hour span. No question there is a wireless protocol issue.

It may only be related to my specific configuration, or environment since I have lots of devices around that use the same wireless band of 2.4 Gigahertz.

In any case, and no matter how good the controller may be, if it disconnects randomly all the time, it has to go.

I have submitted a ticket with Astro gaming, and I shall see what they say.

edit 2:

Too good to be true...

Unfortunately, I experienced three wireless disconnections during battles. Spaced over a period of 8 hours of playing. You are in the battle, and then your controller disconnects. You have to press both the "options" and "share" buttons for 5" to recover. And when you get back in your tank, you are dead most of the time.

There were a couple of reviews on Amazon that stated these disconnects, and I can confirm they are real.

Now, it may be house specific. I have installed a lot of smart switches in mine, and they all use the 2.4 Gigahertz band. Is this creating an interference? It may be. Fact is, I don't want to use the USB cable option. It is not comfortable, and my PS4's are hidden anyway, so having to plug a cable and leave it out is not a good solution.

edit 1:

I have one major issue with the controller, which defeats the purpose of having purchased it on the first place.

As I described below, the two "back triggers" are falling where you actually would grip the controller. And they are shaped so your ring finger nest itself in the V of the button. Meaning that if you claw at the controller, you activate the function.

I have reloaded my container a few times now, causing my premature outing in a brawl.

I have attempted to left my left ring finger from resting on the button, but it is not a natural position, and strenuous to not lock your controller.

Of course, I could always disable the button. Unlike the main triggers and the sticks, the sensitivity can be increased or decreased. But the back buttons are on/off.

I am going to keep going to see if I can eventually get it under control.

I received my C40 TR today, and I just want to post a quick feed-back, since I am not going to go to a full review until I have at least a month of intense play with it.

First impression, is that it is qualitatively built. It really "feels" like that when you first handle it.

It is definitively heavier than a dual shock controller. Is this going to be an issue on the long term? I don't know yet.

The programming of the two rear buttons is quick and flawless from the controller itself;

I programmed mine as:

Configuration 1: left rear button: reload container, right rear button: zoom switch from gun to camera (auto-loading tanks)

Configuration 2: left rear button: cruise control, right rear button: zoom switch from gun to camera (single shooting tanks)

The rear buttons are very sensitive, and since they are falling naturally underneath your fingers, it is very easy to action them without intending to. I have to make sure I do not grip the controller in intense battling.

Both L2 and R2 travel can be shortened with hardware stop tabs. I opted for that. From what I read, you can further reduce the amount of movement required with the software.

L1 for me is Zoom on or off. I use the "hand brake" soft configuration.

The controller comes equipped with two short concave sticks. Inside the box, you have a spare long concave stick, and one short and one long convex sticks.

They pop out by pulling vertically. No difficulty there either.

I have installed short convex left and long convex right, in configuration 2 of the controller, and I use the short concave in left position in configuration 1 of the controller.

The USB cable delivered with the controller is relatively short, 2 meters or 6.56 feet. If you play wired, I think it is going to be an issue. My displays are further away than the cable can reach. However, remember this controller is supposed to be played in wireless mode.

I played wired, and I am charging it fully. I have paired it with the dongle, and the pairing is again instantaneous. Have not played it yet in wireless mode.

Note: unlike the dual shock controller, the C40 uses a dedicated Wireless 2.4 Gigahertz band, which is supposedly has a larger data bandwidth than Bluetooth. It also explains why you cannot start the console with the PS button. I bet Sony has not built in the function out of Bluetooth. Therefore, the C40 does not display the battery level on screen, nor can it wake the console.

But this is not a big problem. There is a battery indicator on the controller itself. Flashes when battery is getting low. And you can wake your console with the PS4 controller, and switch to the C40 in less than one shake of a lamb's tail.

That being said, with a wireless 2.4 Gigahertz connection, you should have no lag or any issue whatsoever.

The few battles I played have been perfect, although the grip is not as good as with my dual shock equipped with the Kontrol Freek rubber padding. And it is heavy, so I rest my forearms on my thighs.

At this time, this is all I want to say, just right out of the box. But for 200 bucks, this is the least I was expecting. I have not yet gone into the software that allegedly allows you to change a lot of the parameters, such as sensitivity, response, and haptics controls of the various commands.

I will come back to post more impressions as I go through using the buttons and the D pad.

One negative, the L1, 2 and R1, 2 are made of hard plastic, and less pleasant to touch than the rubbery surface of the dual shock. 

One nice perk! because Astro has experience with audio equipment, predominantly headsets, they have added a configurable audio equalizer, which is nice when you have quality headphones, or even a sound system. But to me, the really big improvement, is that you can hear yourself talking in the headphones. So you do not yell as you normally would when you are isolated from your environment.

I will come back once I have downloaded the software and tried to alter more parameters, and I will post a full review after I have used the controller a long time.

Edited by P6X330, 16 June 2019 - 04:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users