Are Auto-Loaders more difficult to play than single shooters?

skills difficulty auto-loaders standard loading

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

janbonator #21 Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:20 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 14966 battles

View PostP6X330, on 17 June 2019 - 11:44 PM, said:

5) To reload your container, in some cases, you have to move your left thumb from the stick, to press a command on the D pad. If you are in runaway mode, you cannot activate the reload until you are far enough to dare leaving the stick to depress the button. Unless you engage the cruise control. But in all cases, it is one more issue.

7) Because of the longer interruptions between active or passive shooter, also related to vehicle, you have to constantly assess your strategy to avoid being rushed. It is true for all tanks, but a lot more when in an auto-loader. During these longer reload, there is not much you can do to assist other tanks, and that may change the outcome of the battle.

10) An ammorack in an autoloader is much more penalizing if you cannot repair it.

Did I forget anything?

Do you agree that playing an autoloading tank requires more involvement to be successful? or not? and why?

Interesting topic and a very good opener. I dissected some parts to comment on.

5) I was baffled at this. Then I realized the first thing I did when I installed the game was changing the control scheme to "driver". I never have to take my thumb off the left stick and I can reload by pressing square. I have no idea why it's not the default control scheme, I find it the best by a nautical mile.

7) I don't agree. You can always spot enemies when on a reload. Of course it's easier with something like a BatChat, but I do it with my Nomad, too. If you're on a flank where the enemy outnumbers your team and you care about winning the match, don't just hide when on a reload. Poke out every now and then and keep them guessing and discourage them from rushing and overrunning your team. If they do that, your days are done anyway, especially if you are in an auto-loading heavy tank. Sure, be smart and try to avoid being hit but try to help your team nevertheless.

10) Spot on. I've had my ammo rack damaged and the loader killed in my Nomad. A 3 minute reload is not a pretty sight.

P6X330 #22 Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 16068 battles
  • [AMXS]

View Postjanbonator, on 04 August 2019 - 01:20 AM, said

5) I was baffled at this. Then I realized the first thing I did when I installed the game was changing the control scheme to "driver". I never have to take my thumb off the left stick and I can reload by pressing square. I have no idea why it's not the default control scheme, I find it the best by a nautical mile.

7) I don't agree. You can always spot enemies when on a reload. Of course it's easier with something like a BatChat, but I do it with my Nomad, too. If you're on a flank where the enemy outnumbers your team and you care about winning the match, don't just hide when on a reload. Poke out every now and then and keep them guessing and discourage them from rushing and overrunning your team. If they do that, your days are done anyway, especially if you are in an auto-loading heavy tank. Sure, be smart and try to avoid being hit but try to help your team nevertheless.

Greetings!

I no longer contribute to the WoT forum, however I will make an exception this time, only because you replied to a thread I posted prior to taking my vow.

5) I used the hand-brake configuration, which is possibly the best combination for World of Tanks, minus the disadvantage to reload the container via the D-pad. This is an issue that can be alleviated by purchasing a third party controller, with more programmable triggers. However, after having tested two different brands, I can stipulate they are not as qualitative as the original "Dual Shock".

7) While you retain the ability to spot on a reload, you cannot directly, positively contribute since you cannot shoot. You may even get crippled by remaining spotted yourself. We are discussing most likely cases, not situational specifics. My experience is that once you have unloaded, you are best retreating to avoid purposed counter attacks. If you are in the middle of the allies, chances are they will be able to detect the enemies by themselves. If you are on a scouting trip, and isolated, the best move is to vanish from the view of the enemies, so if they start hunting you, you can change course and still escape with your life. You will agree with me that you are only useful if you don't get destroyed.

The only exception to the rule, is if you have shot and remained undetected throughout. I that case, yes, I agree with you, you can continue reloading and spotting at the same time. But even then, I personally would relocate. There are plenty of bright people playing, and the detection spots are known by those who play often. I would not risk it.

The AMX Chaffee is the perfect tank to bring that point out. With no armor, and a very low hit points pool, you are a one shot on tracks; no forgiveness in your case.

I just have a replay, shot yesterday, that perfectly illustrates my point.

We are on Overloard, and these two AMX 12t have already pounced on several allies. They are organized as a binomial. I decided to take them on in my AMX Chaffee.

Observe that I use the hand-brake on my left bumper to do a 180 degrees while falling off the cliff and keep my gun trained on the bandit.

Once we have landed on the beach, look in the compass. You can see an enemy light setting off towards me immediately. I spot it, and I run away to reload my container.

I turn around and wait for him, but he vanishes from my radar. You will understand why when you watch the video.

Disclaimer:

The following video is posted to serve as an educational tool.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

Highlordwurm #23 Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17774 battles
I remember the learning curve going up the French light line!  It was brutal and I can honestly say I had still not 'got it' by the time I had the Bat Chat (back when you had to go through the Lorraine).  I had a lot of help from experienced players along the way, but it was gruesome!  picking your reload time was probably the biggest challenge, when to engage and when to demure was a big problem-nothing worse than pouncing and unloading your clip and the red nasty still has 150 hp!  I think I would hate non-light auto loaders way worse, you NEED to be able to relocate and choose your engagement!  I think auto loaders are much more challenging than single shooters, like others have said, you absolutely need map awareness and the ability to read the flow of battle.  imho, lights are the natural enemy of auto loaders and should be noted at the beginning of every battle (why am I telling people to target me!?)  I know how much I love watching a Foch spam three shots just as I come over the hill! :izmena:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users