WoT Lessons, Tutoring

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

DAD Commander72 #1 Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:44 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22302 battles
I'm surprised there are not Unicums out there offering personal lessons for a price. Or is there and I just don't know about it? Do you think personal lessons would work? Someone to watch your games, analyze mistakes, missed opportunities, etc?

Cpl Derren #2 Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:58 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28768 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

There’s a program on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldofTanksConsole/comments/bz9vh6/adopt_a_tomato_june/

Come watch me on Twitch! Simply search: cpl_derren

Check out my YouTube channel WoTC Academy!  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZCURXxiHul8a_9hRcgfpmA

LadyTanker #3 Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 5867 battles

View PostDAD Commander72, on 28 June 2019 - 07:44 AM, said:

I'm surprised there are not Unicums out there offering personal lessons for a price. Or is there and I just don't know about it? Do you think personal lessons would work? Someone to watch your games, analyze mistakes, missed opportunities, etc?

Most of the unicums I know of have already done that here without charging people. You might be able to find someone who could spend time with you in a training room. That's probably better than having someone watching your videos all the time. It's also good to get used to seeing where you went wrong yourself. 

LadyTanker #4 Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:37 PM

Major

• Players
  • 5867 battles

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/214566-may-need-a-bigger-sample-before-calling-myself-purple/

Derpy gave me some good advice in this thread (post 10 and 17).

Y5O5ER1U5 #5 Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:18 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 26591 battles

Things have been tried before with not much interest coming in besides a few people that actually want and try to get better.

Problem is that people ask "what am I doing wrong?" And get told but never change or told to go to some position on the map but say "I don't like that spot, I'm going here instead".

It's hard to weed out the few that actually want some help and frustrating for all involved.

If you're looking for assistance I would be willing to help to some degree.

DAD Commander72 #6 Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:18 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22302 battles

You guys are awesome.

Here is what I am getting at. First, I am not embarrassed to say I am probably a slow learner. But looking back, I had a period after like 6000 games, where I improved significantly from where I started. My win rate now is around 55%, but for my first 6-10k I think I was lucky if it was 48%.

Most of that improvement seemed to happen almost overnight. I think I figured a few things out. I could say what they are, but they would seem embarrassingly basic.

So I just wonder, could I move up the learning curve to another plateau? What am I not getting? That is why I was thinking about tutoring.

Edited by DAD Commander72, 28 June 2019 - 06:19 PM.

Y5O5ER1U5 #7 Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:02 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 26591 battles

View PostDAD Commander72, on 28 June 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

You guys are awesome.

Here is what I am getting at. First, I am not embarrassed to say I am probably a slow learner. But looking back, I had a period after like 6000 games, where I improved significantly from where I started. My win rate now is around 55%, but for my first 6-10k I think I was lucky if it was 48%.

Most of that improvement seemed to happen almost overnight. I think I figured a few things out. I could say what they are, but they would seem embarrassingly basic.

So I just wonder, could I move up the learning curve to another plateau? What am I not getting? That is why I was thinking about tutoring.

you can always improve more.

In order for someone to find out what's wrong they'd probably have to get some games in with you.

It could be as basic as epuipment you choose, consumables, ammo load outs and crew skills or to map positions, aiming or when to pop out and take your shot or circle of death the enemy. Prioritizing which tanks to focus on and when to stop. Knowing when to turn around and leave a flank because it's hopeless and go help the other flank. Rushing to the front to get early dmg or not getting there in time is also problematic for some. There are still things that i stated above that I don't always obey and get my [edited]handed to me. 

P6X330 #8 Posted 29 June 2019 - 01:02 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 16096 battles
  • [AMXS]

I am skeptical that becoming an illustrious player can come from tuition...

It is just like anything else in life. Some will be getting by, others will be artists, master at their crafts, virtuoso, grand master....

Personally, I know for a fact that I will never be good at this game, because I am lacking the instantaneous vision of the battle that makes an exceptional player understand what is the best course of action at the exact moment.

I am only able to see what I should have done AFTER the battle has completed, not during. It does not stop me from having fun, and sometimes doing well. But as far as consistent results, nah....

But I am fine as it is. I don't really care if I am good or bad.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

Koncorde #9 Posted 29 June 2019 - 02:33 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24971 battles
I think you are underestimating how much of playing this game is memory and attitude.

1. Learn weakspots.
2. Learn your tanks strong points.
3. Learn how guns differ between tanks and what that means when you pull the trigger.

That is all self learning that will improve your performance from tank to tank.

Then.

4. Learn maps.
5. Learn advanced tactics where you can use 1, 2, 3 to your advantage.
6. Practice.

This is where a Unicum (or even just a calm voice) can shortcut your practice requirements. They can show you the exact position, call warnings for where enemies commonly appear, and move to show you how teamwork actually enables success.

Then finally there is:
7. Muscle memory.
8. Twitch reflexes.
9. Confidence.

The first two are very much player specific. But WOT isn't very heavy on the twitch requirements and your play style can compensate for this if you stick to Russian tanks for instance. The muscle memory is actually quite important, learning to switch ammo and learn to use your peripheral vision to read the map while driving and seamlessly switch between the two. The bigger your TV the harder this may actually be to do, but you should in theory be able to look at your tank and be able to read the minimals general positions (I use the square map, so I can watch every position - but I am not getting into that argument). Like driving a car, it quickly becomes instinct to "mirror, signal, position, check, manoeuvre" and repeat.

For example, I usually find a position on the map I can exploit, know the rhythm of my gun, then use my down time during the reload to do other important things like check the map, scan for enemies and see if there are weak goes I might be able to snapshot, and check the health of my allies to see where there might be a weakspot occuring. I am also mentally counting down the rhythm of the arty fire, but I think that might just be me.

P6X330 #10 Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:06 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 16096 battles
  • [AMXS]

Agreed...

However, the most difficult parameter to control is what the allies, and the enemy are going to do. And in some cases, it leaves you aghast!

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

x4BIDN1x #11 Posted 02 July 2019 - 02:16 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 24925 battles
  • [4HIM]
One can also learn a lot from watching replays.  Take a few battles and look to see how you performed and then see who else did the best/well on your team.  Watch from their view and see where they went on the map,  what tank they are playing, how they used it, and how they respond to the map as it changes (map awareness).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users