Positives and negatives of the MM change and my general thoughts.

Thread.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

R35T NO MORE #1 Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:30 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 15663 battles
  • [BNKR-]

Initially I was ready to facepalm. All I could think about was tanks like the Defender, Chrysler, Minuteman, Absolution, V/IV etc never having to face tanks two tiers higher, and how it was a buff for them. I also thought this was a poor substitute for proper tank balancing and honestly, a bit lazy. I also worried about tier 9. They are going to be dragged into tier 10 games ALOT now no doubt, so tier 9 stock grinds are going to hurt. However, then I thought about it a bit more and found some positives. 

Whilst the premium tanks I listed above don't face tanks two tier above them this week, the tanks that couldn't really hurt them reliably, those tier 2s below them, were now safe from them. This fact alone instantly makes tanks that were powercreeped now a bit more viable again.

A few OP tanks get an indirect buff, but so do alot of very average tanks. Albeit the stock tier 9s suffer for it. Then I played a few games. More people were getting stuck in, people were saying on game chat how nice it was for them for the game to be a bit more of an even playing field tank wise too. The change had made the game a bit easier for them and less daunting. As these players make up the vast majority of the player base, this is good. 

A mate pointed out another downside but it will only consistently affect blues, purples and super purples, and that is, with not facing tanks 2 tiers higher, there isn't as much damage to farm in game. 

I also think PMM tanks should, as I've also seen others suggest, get to have - 1/0 MM. 

In general, whilst it certainly does have flaws, I think the positives are worth the negatives and hope to see it become more permanent. There are OP tanks that benefit alot from it, but it is obvious WG wont nerf them anytime soon and at least the tanks 2 tiers down are safe from them this way. 

P. S the Jackal is hilarious with this MM. 

FusionStar287 #2 Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:49 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20134 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostR35T NO MORE, on 04 July 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

A mate pointed out another downside but it will only consistently affect blues, purples and super purples, and that is, with not facing tanks 2 tiers higher, there isn't as much damage to farm in game. 

I just want to quickly point out that the antithesis of this statement is also an issue with this new MM. While good and great players lose the opportunity to have great games when bottom tier, bad players also lose the ability to have good and great games because of being put against a bunch of tanks two tiers lower.

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

SandM9 #3 Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:40 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 32336 battles

Yep, if the valleys aren't as low then you have to accept that the mountains won't be as high. I can see how it would disappoint some players.

Welcome to the forums. Where you can call people stupid, just don't call them passive-aggressive.

ToxicBullbog #4 Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19803 battles

Quality read.

As for the no damage to farm, i'm pretty sure it balances out just about, yeah you don't get those +2 damage numbers but you also don't get the -2 Tier games either.

I don't play anymore, just loiter around the forum from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AngryBullbog

R35T NO MORE #5 Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:24 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 15663 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostToxicBullbog, on 04 July 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

Quality read.

As for the no damage to farm, i'm pretty sure it balances out just about, yeah you don't get those +2 damage numbers but you also don't get the -2 Tier games either.

That's a very good point. Hopefully that means it won't screw with MoE too much for those who grind them. 

Neurotic Cell #6 Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23125 battles
  • [FLT]
Still undecided on it, but then I’m plinking around in it while coming back from a haitus (I didn’t know the event was happening when I first participated, lol).  I suppose it’s gentler on any newer players, anyway.  I do feel less screwed in tier VIIIs at the moment.

"Win or lose, naught to choose - all men are equal when their memory fades. No one knows, friends or foes, if Valhalla lies beyond the grave." - Motörhead “Deaf Forever”

Brass Drag0n #7 Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:38 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 33267 battles

Matchmaking still needs so much work - was just on a team with one arty... the reds had a three man arty platoon.

How can the matchmaker think that's fair?

MoE: Firefly (2), Churchill III (2), KV-5 (2), Pz V/M10​ (2), Tiger 1​ (3)

(PS4 - DRAGONxxSWORD)

Y5O5ER1U5 #8 Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:43 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 26070 battles

As I said in another thread that I'd like to see some sort of xp and silver gains out of premiums, due to the loss of HP on the board. Other than that I think it's overall a decent move on behave of the game and definitely makes it more playable for all players, frome reds to purples.

BigHundy #9 Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9621 battles
  • [FCCM]

I've been one of the more vocal players saying this is a garbo idea.

So I don't know if it's because I have been against it for years or what

But the last two days I haven't been top tier once unless I picked a tier 10.

95% of my games were at tier 9, mind you, but still.

I miss being top tier in a tier 9. That is why I love tier 9 so much.

Can compete against tier 10s, can beat up tier 7s.

But constantly I was maybe 4 tier 9s, and the rest tier 10s, the entire session.

And that's due to one thing: server population.

And we don't have enough of it to permanently support this MM model. We just don't.

Fun for an event, though.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol, and cheap women. The other half I wasted -  W.C. Fields

On the last day of your life, don't forget to die.

Blakenstein131 #10 Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:51 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10281 battles
  • [BWCOY]

Block Quote

And we don't have enough of it to permanently support this MM model. We just don't

We would if they introduce crossplay.

R35T NO MORE #11 Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:01 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 15663 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostBigHundy, on 04 July 2019 - 08:45 PM, said:

I've been one of the more vocal players saying this is a garbo idea.

So I don't know if it's because I have been against it for years or what

But the last two days I haven't been top tier once unless I picked a tier 10.

95% of my games were at tier 9, mind you, but still.

I miss being top tier in a tier 9. That is why I love tier 9 so much.

Can compete against tier 10s, can beat up tier 7s.

But constantly I was maybe 4 tier 9s, and the rest tier 10s, the entire session.

And that's due to one thing: server population.

And we don't have enough of it to permanently support this MM model. We just don't.

Fun for an event, though.

Yeah sod playing tier 9 atm. I finished my WZ 1-4 grind just before this started and couldn't have been more glad. Without all the tier 8s getting thrown I to tier 8 games, the 9s have to fill the gaps. I imagine there are alot of 15 vs 15 tier X games too. 

Also tagged with Thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users