Overlord rotation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

SloMoBro14 #1 Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:22 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 47046 battles
  • [PR-1]
Commemorating the 75th anniversary of D-Day, wouldn't it make sense to have an assault option which rotates the map 90° and spawns one team on the beach and one along the back edge of the map? Just sayin'

RUNNINGDUDE1 #2 Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:09 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox 360
  • 24133 battles
Yeahhhhh....nnnoooo. That would give the guys on the cliffs a better advantage

Spike1958 #3 Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:09 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 38365 battles

View PostSloMoBro14, on 10 July 2019 - 07:22 PM, said:

Commemorating the 75th anniversary of D-Day, wouldn't it make sense to have an assault option which rotates the map 90° and spawns one team on the beach and one along the back edge of the map? Just sayin'

No, When the map was first introduced, that is exactly how the assault maps were set up(and never the other way,ie flag on the beach). You always had to fight off the beach.  The problem(as the boys on Omaha discovered) is that there are only 4 exits off the beach. I don't think I played any assault maps at that time where the attackers won.

TransparentBlue #4 Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:01 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13414 battles

View PostSloMoBro14, on 10 July 2019 - 07:22 PM, said:

Played original Overlord in Assault eight times when it was first introduced.  

Only one time I was assigned to defend the high ground.  Easy win.  Our team could have ALL been two tiers down and we probably still would have won.  Our only deaths were from tankers cliff jumping, trying to get the Death From Above accomplishment.

Seven times I was assigned to the assaulting team from the beach.  Seven losses.  The only time we almost won from the beach was when 9 players from the attacking team came all the way down to the beach at the start of the match, and one other cliff jumped.

It would be terrible for the game.  I have a friend who I managed to get interested in the game.  He quit after being assigned the assaulting team on original Overlord three consecutive times, and he hasn't been back.

Still can't believe how this ever got past testing, or that it was ever checked for balance.  

Even today, the best way to almost guarantee a loss on Overlord is to go to the beach.  I still see plenty of potatoes doing it, though.

I like the idea of giving respect and admiration to those who accomplished what they did on the real beaches of WWII.  But unless matches become two round events, there's no way to balance the game to make it enjoyable.  And even as a two rounder, this wouldn't be enjoyable.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users