Jack of all trades or firefighting?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

MertFB #1 Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:35 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10914 battles
Now I like to use combat rations on certain tanks, mainly tier tens. Till now I always used jack of all trades and traded the med kit in for combat rations. My question is, should I swap jack of all trades for firefighting? Or should I just make a decision per tank? For instance have firefighting on tanks with a low chance of fire (and use a med kit) and have an automatic fire extinguisher on tanks with a high chance of fire (and use jack of all trades). I don't want to have both skills, as most of my crews only have 6-8 skills/perks.

Rommels Cat #2 Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:13 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2523 battles

I'd choosd neither of those until 13th or later perk.

Crews, the first man to die is the radio operator, his job is useless anyway.

Next the commander is sure to die, jack of all trades only works if he is alive.

So firefightn i guess

Sadriel Fett #3 Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:00 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 28065 battles
  • [A4C]
Do you have Preventive Maintenance already?  I'd equip that before Firefighting.  Better to "not" catch on fire in the first place.  If it's fire prone, Preventive Maintenance, coupled with an auto fire extinguisher, and I hardly get torched.  If I do, it's almost always my fault, because I let the back of my tank face the enemy for too long and let them shoot it two or three times.  I usually equip Jack of All Trades for tanks that tend to get ammo racked easier, like German or Soviet tanks.  I end up foregoing a first aid kit for another repair kit to quickly fix the ammo rack, instead.  Because of this I'll use JOAT, in case some crew members get ganked.  You lose your driver or gunner and you hardly notice it.  

~ "This game would be great, if it wasn't for our teammates." ~

~ There's no such thing as Arty Safe. You have to play Arty Aware. You have to play SmArty. ~

Gallant Prime #4 Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:44 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 45393 battles
  • [47R]

I have yet to train firefighting on a tank.  

I don't think I have Jack of All trades either.  

I try and maximize offensive capabilities--stealth, view range and targeting.  The other stuff is occasional concerns.  I do have repairs but it seems almost worthless for how little it actually contributes.    

Gallant Prime #5 Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:47 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 45393 battles
  • [47R]

View PostSadriel Fett, on 13 July 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

Do you have Preventive Maintenance already?  I'd equip that before Firefighting.  Better to "not" catch on fire in the first place.  If it's fire prone, Preventive Maintenance, coupled with an auto fire extinguisher, and I hardly get torched.  If I do, it's almost always my fault, because I let the back of my tank face the enemy for too long and let them shoot it two or three times.  I usually equip Jack of All Trades for tanks that tend to get ammo racked easier, like German or Soviet tanks.  I end up foregoing a first aid kit for another repair kit to quickly fix the ammo rack, instead.  Because of this I'll use JOAT, in case some crew members get ganked.  You lose your driver or gunner and you hardly notice it.  

Preventative maintenance does not work on fuel tank fires though.  The 2 repair kits is not a bad idea even if you don't have Jack or Firefighting, depending on the tank.  

Coupdeteat #6 Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:46 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 30362 battles
  • [HIRAM]
Those are both, lesser important perks. You should consider what affects your tank the most, and the most often. 

FusionStar287 #7 Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:52 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20400 battles
  • [JOCO]
I used to never use firefighting on any crew, but much to my surprise after I trained it on one of my best crews it actually makes a massive difference. I use food instead of a fire extinguisher on most tanks now, and having the firefighting perk is the difference between being knocked out entirely or severely crippled from being set on fire and just losing a bit of extra health and possibly one module from being set on fire.

That said, I still wouldn't use firefighting until after having most of the "combat" perks trained first since you don't really catch on fire all that often in most tanks, but I would still use it above jack of all trades (especially since it's even more rare to lose valuable crew members more than once in a single match, which means that a first aid kit is usually enough).

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

BigHundy #8 Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9707 battles
  • [FCCM]

I always train firefighting so I can run food.

It makes life so much easier and I rarely get set on fire. Can't even remember the last time.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol, and cheap women. The other half I wasted -  W.C. Fields

On the last day of your life, don't forget to die.

ToxicBullbog #9 Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:05 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19931 battles
Depends on the tank, some tanks i replace meds some times i replace fire extinguisher depending on what i perceive them to be prone to and work my perks around them.

I don't play anymore, just loiter around the forum from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AngryBullbog

SirlceCream #10 Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:07 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19316 battles
  • [4LOST]

View PostMertFB, on 14 July 2019 - 12:35 AM, said:

For instance have firefighting on tanks with a low chance of fire (and use a med kit) and have an automatic fire extinguisher on tanks with a high chance of fire (and use jack of all trades). I don't want to have both skills, as most of my crews only have 6-8 skills/perks.

I think food+ firefighting is in 9 out of 10 cases the better choice. Simply because you can fix fueltanks with your repkit when needed and even when you get set on fire every 35th games you take only ~250 damage in a tier 10 med which isnt a big deal. 

I use jack of all trades+fire ext.for med kit only on some tanks like obj 140 which gets set on fire relatively often.

3. Marked Tanks: 84

John-berg1995 #11 Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 12563 battles
  • [CIA]
fire fighting in place of no fire extinguisher is a bad idea, it's better to couple food with fire prevention first then fire fighting. But always prevention first. Better to not be set on fire at all. I usually run this set up on maus so I can run 2 repair kits and a large medkit it gets tracked alot and when Arty takes a dump on me I can heal multiple dead crew members. I had a game once where Arty killed 4 crew members in a single hit lol good thing I had that large medkit looool

But yeah when I do catch fire. It's not usually the end of the world. lasts noticably shorter than usual

Panzercat39 #12 Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:19 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4668 battles

View PostGallant Prime, on 14 July 2019 - 03:44 AM, said:

I have yet to train firefighting on a tank.  

I don't think I have Jack of All trades either.  

I try and maximize offensive capabilities--stealth, view range and targeting.  The other stuff is occasional concerns.  I do have repairs but it seems almost worthless for how little it actually contributes.    

Really? I always thought repairs was a great skill.

TransparentBlue #13 Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:04 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13414 battles
Both these skills are garbage compared to almost all the others.  

The only way I'm training either is if I'm running a superheavy and already have SS, BIA, repairs, track repairs, all movement, all aim, Deadeye, all vision except the lame ones like "identify damaged modules" and "two extra seconds" ones, and probably Camo and Green Thumb, too.

All these others help in EVERY match.  

Firefighting, helps one in fifty matches or so, and then you're still nearly dead.  

JOAT might help if your crew gets hurt a lot, but only after you're hit and on the way back to the garage.  I don't need my radio man that much.  :D   But I stock a large first aid on almost every tank, YMMV.

marinefish666 #14 Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:05 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 41367 battles

Jack of all is my 9th skill.

Mentor, bro, 6th camo,snap,smooth ride,recon,stuational and then Jack of All.

Senior Technical Engineer, all reg tanks unlocked! All reg X tanks in garage.

marinefish666 #15 Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:06 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 41367 battles
If a tanks has a chance of fire over 10% I usually runa auto fire X.
Senior Technical Engineer, all reg tanks unlocked! All reg X tanks in garage.

BoereJack #16 Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:35 AM

Major

• Players
  • 36300 battles
  • [XRM]
I always train firefighter at around the 8th skill on heavies, and after that prev maintenance. And i rarely run any fire extinguishers, as my rule is: if i am not set on fire more then once every 10 games i rather have a extra large repair(or maybe food)

My Youtube Channel Filled With WOT PS4 Gameplay: https://www.youtube....FnoS605ne-GYwiA

3 MARKED TANKS:

SNAKEBITE, T21, SP1C, LYCAN, T-54 LWT

panthermark #17 Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:13 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12962 battles

I have several crews with fire-fighting.....it is usually the 12th or 13th skill.  I might train it earlier.   

I swap out the extinguisher for a small repair kit.  I run small repair, large repair, large first aid. 

3 MOE's: VK 30.01D (VI), T-34 (V), M-24 Chaffee (V)

2 MOE's: Indien-Panzer (VIII), T-20 (VII), Cromwell B (VI), Snakebite (VI), T-37 (VI), M4 Sherman w/Derp (V), VK 16.02 Leopard (V)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users