How to play a heavy - heavy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

DAD Commander72 #1 Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:28 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22251 battles
I don't really like the heavy - heavies, like the VK 100.01 especially and to a lesser extent the Minuteman. I find they are slow and a big target, turret time is slow so it is tough to get off shots, reload is slow, Arty loves you. I did pretty well with the KV-1, but not so much these guys. Any ideas on how to improve?

SPUK4U #2 Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:33 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 11360 battles

View PostDAD Commander72, on 16 July 2019 - 03:28 PM, said:

I struggle with the heavy - heavies, like the VK 100.01 especially and to a lesser extent the Minuteman. I find they are slow and a big target, turret time is slow so it is tough to get off shots, reload is slow, Arty loves you. I did pretty well with the KV-1, but not so much these guys. Any ideas on how to improve?

As I also play arty and heavy tanks, I think I can give you some tips. Arty's hit rate is 30% ( average of 3 out of 10 shells will cause damage ) Arty can shoot one target at the time with reload long as 30-60s.  If you keep moving and don't repeat same pattern you get hit less than that 30%. Use those undetected moments for relocation, avoid large open spaces, you are slow and you don't want to be detected in the middle of the field. Stop only when you have to aim and take a shot, even if you are slow all random movement makes you harder target. Still, you get hit from time to time, when that happens remember that you have hit points to take some shots, it's better that you take artillery's time than weaker tanks that get destroyed (all shots that miss you help team to win, so trolling arty to waste it's time helps team to win).    Things that help a bit:  Spall liner, reduces splash damage, but not direct hit damage.   Track repair perk + repair skill + large repair kit for passive boost are things that  keeps you moving when arty tracks you.

Personally,  I use over ear stereo gaming head set, I have muted the music and listen artillery fire, it helps a lot. I hear if arty is busy with other sector and you can hear the rate of fire and direction where arty is.  If there is two or three arty, it's bit difficult, but at least you hear where they are. 

Remember, keep moving but don't  make it easy for arty to take the lead in shot. The tank in gif below is detected and moves along the road in open field...easy target. 

Edited by SPUK4U, 16 July 2019 - 08:39 PM.

DAD Commander72 #3 Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:31 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22251 battles

View PostSPUK4U, on 16 July 2019 - 08:33 PM, said:

As I also play arty and heavy tanks, I think I can give you some tips. Arty's hit rate is 30% ( average of 3 out of 10 shells will cause damage ) Arty can shoot one target at the time with reload long as 30-60s.  If you keep moving and don't repeat same pattern you get hit less than that 30%. Use those undetected moments for relocation, avoid large open spaces, you are slow and you don't want to be detected in the middle of the field. Stop only when you have to aim and take a shot, even if you are slow all random movement makes you harder target. Still, you get hit from time to time, when that happens remember that you have hit points to take some shots, it's better that you take artillery's time than weaker tanks that get destroyed (all shots that miss you help team to win, so trolling arty to waste it's time helps team to win).    Things that help a bit:  Spall liner, reduces splash damage, but not direct hit damage.   Track repair perk + repair skill + large repair kit for passive boost are things that  keeps you moving when arty tracks you.

Personally,  I use over ear stereo gaming head set, I have muted the music and listen artillery fire, it helps a lot. I hear if arty is busy with other sector and you can hear the rate of fire and direction where arty is.  If there is two or three arty, it's bit difficult, but at least you hear where they are. 

Remember, keep moving but don't  make it easy for arty to take the lead in shot. The tank in gif below is detected and moves along the road in open field...easy target. 

Great tips! Do you think side scrapping is one of the keys to playing the biggies? Maybe I need to improve here. Seems like when I try to side scrap I still get penned. Maybe I just don't have the technique down.

pingwrx #4 Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24333 battles
  • [REDIT]

View PostDAD Commander72, on 17 July 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

Great tips! Do you think side scrapping is one of the keys to playing the biggies? Maybe I need to improve here. Seems like when I try to side scrap I still get penned. Maybe I just don't have the technique down.

Not every heavy has good enough side armor to side scrape effectively.  The Minuteman you asked about is best played hull down it is not really best played as a sidescraper.

Koncorde #5 Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:50 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24921 battles
Minuteman is troll, either you cannot be penned ever - or well aimed shots will pen every inch of your frontal armour. Probably not the best tank to base any experience on.

I prefer my mediums over heavies, I'm never comfortable just letting myself be seen and spotted and shot at, so it has taken a long time for me to work out where and when I can get allow someone to take a shot - and a lot of the time it a tally comes down to how skilled your opponent is. I have gone up against full health E100 and taken them down without any loss of health because they didn't know how to angle and sat 200m away in an open field.

Playing the Fatherland was my first introduction to armour profiles. Up until then I just kinda assumed you tried to angle away from people wherever possible (Cromwell experience). Turns out that is a major weakness on heavies, but particularly the IS3 pike nose.

Took me a few hundred battles in a variety of heavies to realise the link between guns at tier, above tier, below tier and how much you can just assume a tier 8 heavy will bounce most tier 6 guns unless behind you. And then it all just became playing the odds.

My advice is therefore to learn what your average armour is on each tank, and try to make sure that your favourite bit is pointing at the most obvious threat no matter what. Preserving those hitpoints will be what wins you the game, because your mobility won't.

DAD Commander72 #6 Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:25 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22251 battles

View PostKoncorde, on 18 July 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

Minuteman is troll, either you cannot be penned ever - or well aimed shots will pen every inch of your frontal armour. Probably not the best tank to base any experience on.

I prefer my mediums over heavies, I'm never comfortable just letting myself be seen and spotted and shot at, so it has taken a long time for me to work out where and when I can get allow someone to take a shot - and a lot of the time it a tally comes down to how skilled your opponent is. I have gone up against full health E100 and taken them down without any loss of health because they didn't know how to angle and sat 200m away in an open field.

Playing the Fatherland was my first introduction to armour profiles. Up until then I just kinda assumed you tried to angle away from people wherever possible (Cromwell experience). Turns out that is a major weakness on heavies, but particularly the IS3 pike nose.

Took me a few hundred battles in a variety of heavies to realise the link between guns at tier, above tier, below tier and how much you can just assume a tier 8 heavy will bounce most tier 6 guns unless behind you. And then it all just became playing the odds.

My advice is therefore to learn what your average armour is on each tank, and try to make sure that your favourite bit is pointing at the most obvious threat no matter what. Preserving those hitpoints will be what wins you the game, because your mobility won't.

Thanks! I am liking the M&M a little better.

DAD Commander72 #7 Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22251 battles
Okay now I am officially digging the Minuteman.

panthermark #8 Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13272 battles

View PostKoncorde, on 18 July 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

Yup, I don't play heavies.....and the few times I do, I struggle because I'm so used to diving for cover the minute I'm spotted. (I play lights and fast mediums). 

I am not used to "depending" on armor....I'm used to playing tanks where I expect to get penned if I get hit, and where speed and stealth are life. 

3 MOE's: VK 30.01D (VI), T-34 (V), M-24 Chaffee (V)

2 MOE's: Indien-Panzer (VIII), T-20 (VII), Cromwell B (VI), Snakebite (VI), T-37 (VI), M4 Sherman w/Derp (V), VK 16.02 Leopard (V)

rik242 #9 Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:56 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 7248 battles
I think if you are used to playing the mediums you have to adjust your play style for a heavy. They need to hang back a bit and rely on the spotting of the lights and support the mediums. Leading the attack is fairly fatal especially if you get tracked. The German heavies are my favourite to date. I treat them as a cross between a TD and draw fire away from the mediums.

Albapfalzd3 #10 Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:30 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22963 battles

View Postrik242, on 24 September 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

I think if you are used to playing the mediums you have to adjust your play style for a heavy. They need to hang back a bit and rely on the spotting of the lights and support the mediums. Leading the attack is fairly fatal especially if you get tracked. The German heavies are my favourite to date. I treat them as a cross between a TD and draw fire away from the mediums.

What? The Role of the Heavy tank is not to hang back and support the Mediums. Try again.

Roy

Capn Ratchet45 #11 Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22227 battles

View Postpingwrx, on 17 July 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

Not every heavy has good enough side armor to side scrape effectively.  The Minuteman you asked about is best played hull down it is not really best played as a sidescraper.

every tank is best hull down lol, not gonna hurt to only have half your tank exposed...not sure why you'd think minuteman isn't a good side scrape tank, side armor is beast!

the front isn't any better than a t29, massive weakspot on that gun port on the left (if facing it)...but if you're sidescraping properly then the front is covered similar to hull down...

I once lost a match putting half of my e25s apcr into the side of one of those things...it was a heart breaker tonsay the least.

CosmicStrike #12 Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:17 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 22880 battles
it seems that many players just don't know how to play different classes of tanks
Heavies when there are enemy artillery in an open map , the heavy needs to find shelter since because a heavy is slow its a prime arty target , and artillery has such a hard time targeting when there is a building or rock near their target , so a heavy should hug buildings and rocks but as the heavy make sure you are on the other side of that building rock from that arty , you should have an idea were the artys are since they never good too far from the base spawn area.
Medium and light tanks are the assault class, they can get in fast, well if you play these play smart just don't charge right in, think about were the enemy is going, also make sure if you wanna last long that your slow tanks artys, heavy's and TD are following or getting in to a firing position , Medium and Lights you are the Eyes for the team , even if you just sneak out and camp in a safe area to spot that helps, and always retreat if you can get back to a group of friendly tanks that can help. remember you can not play like a rambo and take on the other team, even in the most powerful tank, the other team will gang up, and that is the key to this game if you want a team win then play like a team , let that power hitter tank get the kills , so if you see a lone heavy and your a medium or light or arty help them cover them because that is your armor and once the other team gets past your teams heavys then it's mostly over for your team unless your team gets lucky with an amazing tank destroyer player that hard hitting tank with or with out it's armor but fixed turret , think of them as a mix of arty and heavy or medium , but they are the sniper class , sit back and get those long range kills, so if you play as a team and each tank class plays their parts you should win, always take cover and retreat if you need to survive .
light tanks are great for getting behind the enemy but you can't just charge in unless you are a super fast tank, and if you do that on a suicide mission then make sure to go after the enemy artillery tanks of their are some on the map, other than that spot for the team , and sneak to get behind the enemy team if you can, then they will be distracted shooting behind and your team can get them from the front. Other than that know the maps, if your new follow the group or try other paths, and play the objective flag .
good luck

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users