Break out your Crayons....***Winners Announced*** (Ok now you can eat!)

Design a Map Contest Contest Free tank

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

BrogueOne #21 Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:31 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 23247 battles
  • [ELDER]

View PostGallant Prime, on 23 July 2019 - 02:32 AM, said:

lol but no.  

I'm impressed...multiple pencils in one ear seems quite difficult.  

I don't care for winter variants much.  Now a jungle...but no.  

Along the lines like in drafting.  A 3-D view would be more like the new arty mechanic--up in the air looking from an angle, while a side view is more like you are standing on the map at the edge looking across it.  The top and side would be more functional and the 3-D more artistic is my thoughts.  

Is the word you’re looking for: Isometric?  Thats how I plan to present mine..... basically the top-down version, but angled to display elevations.

Gallant Prime #22 Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:51 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 45358 battles
  • [47R]

View PostBrogueOne, on 26 July 2019 - 01:31 PM, said:

Is the word you’re looking for: Isometric?  Thats how I plan to present mine..... basically the top-down version, but angled to display elevations.

Sure...just to clarify that I am not going to be so picky as to require it to look like it came from a drafting board.  Just give me several views so I can see how it would likely flow.  

BrogueOne #23 Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:54 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 23247 battles
  • [ELDER]

View PostGallant Prime, on 26 July 2019 - 11:51 PM, said:

Sure...just to clarify that I am not going to be so picky as to require it to look like it came from a drafting board.  Just give me several views so I can see how it would likely flow.  

I shall submit mine in colored pencil.... they have a better texture than crayons..... more fiber too!

STUART SHERMAN #24 Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40572 battles
  • [FLT]

2VGY7qqb

V5S0T89k

yD8Q4xLZ

Please be kind as I'm pretty tech challenged, and even getting these to load from Flickr (gee I hope this works) took as long as the drawings themselves. :facepalm:

I've been thinking about this so I whipped these up this morning. I don't have a 3D view yet, and I would have liked to have gotten more detail but this is what I could do in a couple hours. 

A summer seasonal village astride a shallow river with a small lake to the East. Three bridges connect the North to the South side of the map but the river is shallow enough to traverse in most places. Cottages line the shore of the small lake with docks, and pleasure boats in the water.  

Sand dunes along the Western side of the map mask a large beach area along a much larger lake. 5 low draws give access through the dunes to the beach, and the lighthouse pier. Several roads wind through the forest, and to the beach. 

The bases are located in the center near the North, and South map edges. Low scrub combined with forest that varies in density comprise the rest of the map. Low mounds within the trees offer some cover as well. A few cabins in the woods can be added, as well as some along the dune's crest. 

My first drawing is the lighthouse on the pier, and is loosely modeled after the Grand Haven, Michigan lighthouse that I know very well. The second is a quick overhead view showing some elevation. 

Crap, that did not work. I'll keep trying. :confused:

Edited by STUART SHERMAN, 09 August 2019 - 09:08 PM.

"Stop it with all the negative waves..."    Oddball

BrogueOne #25 Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:57 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 23247 battles
  • [ELDER]

So..... when I’m not tanking I play a lot of Fallout 76.  Anyone who plays knows that the Whitespring Resort tends to be a focal point of the map.  My map design borrows inspiration from the Wasteland of West Virginia and the Golf course at the center of it.  At the top left corner we have a mountaintop lakeside resort offering prime swimming for Artillery and a waterfall for Light tanks to surf down.  The waterfall also has a road passing under it that leads to a romantic cave picnic spot(but watch out for the Yao Gai).  Further downstream we have the once-glorious plantation home and resort which is slowly crumbling beneath the weight of nature’s vengeance.  And all the way to the south we have the old dam...... it still holds back the water, but barely as trees have taken root across the top of it.  The dam also offers convenient swimming opportunities for Artillery.  The rest of the landscape features the rolling hills and remnants of the old golf course with many rocks, dips, and ridges and there’s a moderate smattering of trees and bushes to play with.

*note* I shaded in areas of the river intended to mark safely traversable areas.  I envision the map to feel open, but to still force conscious decisions about where to go.  Both corners have roads that go through them and can be flanked through if left unguarded. I would also love to see a moving train and boats on this map for flavor.

STUART SHERMAN #26 Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:30 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40572 battles
  • [FLT]

Nice. I especially like the old plantation mansion and overgrown golf course ideas.

:great:

BrogueOne #27 Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:54 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 23247 battles
  • [ELDER]

View PostSTUART SHERMAN, on 30 July 2019 - 03:30 AM, said:

Nice. I especially like the old plantation mansion and overgrown golf course ideas.

:great:

Thanks! I like the seaside town idea too.  They could animate sharks and shark attacks in the water!

Koncorde #28 Posted 30 July 2019 - 05:19 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24789 battles

I may draw one later, but here are 3 idea off the top of my head that I would really love to see:

1. Africa. Libyan passes. A city style map, but using the verticality of canyons to create the tunnels. Ideally with canyons that have branches that spiral off, some of which only smaller tanks can fit through / up to exploit for gun depression. The spawns would be two opposite mesa's 800m apart, and some canyons would wind up onto intermediate mesa to enable spotting to either spawn. Imagine a cross between a scalable Monument Valley, and Kasserine Pass from Sniper Elite 3. No single route, or agonising choke points, but lots of man made destructible defences and 50% cover rock formations for Stugs etc to fire from. Designed for tiers 4 through 8.

2. Italy. A Wet Weekend. The base of a valley, the cliffs rising tall either side. A half ruined Roman Aquaduct leaves lots of square cut rocks for cover at one end and water pouring from it, and the collapsed remains of an Italian village that has slid down the cliffside offers cover through the middle, and the other spawn is surrounded by the resultant landslide. Most of the landscape is undulating with a large shallow basin river running through a lot of it so you are almost always splashing around. Imagine the base of the valley on Panama, but almost an entire map of that with dense outcrops of trees and bushes everywhere creating channels of shallow soft cover. Designed for tiers 6 through 10.

3. Austrian Alps. Frozen lake bed. Large castle high in the mountain with a cable car passing up from a completely destructible village on the shoreline that ascends a hill with a few checkpoints etc. Lots of log cabins. One side of the map is the frozen lake, large, perfectly flat, almost no cover but lots of power-sliding - has been converted into a landing strip so has destructible planes and support vehicles. Imagine Panama/ Westfeld, but with a broader basin and more shallow hill on one side, and impossible to scale mountain on the other. Some thin ice will break around the coastline allowing accidental drowning. Centre of the lake is what would normally be an inaccessible chateau on an island where tanks can take up spotting positions and shoot from.

Maxipotzac #29 Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:53 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8173 battles

Historical background:

The Battle of Debrecen, called by the Red Army the Debrecen Offensive Operation, was a battle taking place 6–29 October 1944 on the Eastern Front during World War II.

The offensive was conducted by the 2nd Ukrainian Front under Marshal Rodion Malinovsky. It was opposed by General Maximilian Fretter-Pico's German Sixth Army (II formation) and the allied Hungarian VII Army Corps of Army Group South Ukraine

The Axis units were forced to retreat some 160 kilometers, while opposing the 2nd Ukrainian Front which had Debrecen in Hungary as its strategic objective.

The map:

The top looks open but the unevenness of the ground provides good cover. The two ranches provide tight melee opportunities with multiple entrances.

(The base is a real image of the area, corrected and aged with photoshop)

English is not my native language, but who cares? (  so do not write to me in this case )  ;)

YoungestBike679 #30 Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:29 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 40614 battles

So my idea of basing a map on St Nazaire didn't work out.

However since it's been 50 years since man walked on the moon, to help celebrate we're off to Peenemunde.

I've tried to keep the key elements of the actual location.

For an overview, check out the Peenemunde Historical Technical Museum website.

The centrepiece is Test Stand 7.

The V2 carried over 2000 lbs of explosive. I'm thinking these should destructible but preferably with a sting.

Something like shooting one of the v2's has a 30% chance of exploding it.

Exploding it has the same mechanics as a Tier 10 artillery shell ( friendly damage rules apply - person causing the explosion gets credit for enemy damage)

Destroying an enemy tank by exploding a nearby V2 would get you the soon to be introduced Rocket Man medal. :)

STUART SHERMAN #31 Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40572 battles
  • [FLT]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I added a 3D"ish" drawing of my map proposal. The river is fordable between the Pier on the beach to the 2nd bridge to the East.

Swampy areas lined with cat tails, and big Willows give way to rolling open spaces in the center, with dunes to the West, and a seasonal village on a lake to the East. Summer cottages line the small lake to the East which is shallow around the edges but dangerously deep in the middle.  

A big Hospital dominates the southern part of the village with a small business district, and outdoor amphitheater on the river's north shore. More houses should be added in the village, and around the map in places like along the big lake shore, along the roads in the woods, and near the bases.

A fish processing plant with red, and black roof lives near the beach to the West on the North river bank. Heavy forest of pines, and hardwoods with winding roads complete the scene. 

Edited by STUART SHERMAN, 09 August 2019 - 09:38 PM.

TransparentBlue #32 Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:39 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 13414 battles
I'm just stopping in to mention how amused I am by the thread title.

STUART SHERMAN #33 Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:24 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40572 battles
  • [FLT]

I just wanted to bump this post one more time. We all want new maps and maybe something here will catch WG’s eye.

There’s some great ideas here but more is better. 

Good luck everyone. 

CamaroGuy96 #34 Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:26 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 10231 battles

Alrighty here's my go at it. My map is called DMZ and is set in post war Korea along the Demilitarized Zone. The concept is at it's core a ridge fighting map but it offers flanking routes as well. Think of a play style similar to Nomanhan or El Halluf. As I envision it, it would be a green summer map, but there could easily be winter and war variants.

Here are my sketches and below I'll give a written tour of the map.

MAP

Posted Image

VIEW FROM LOWER RIGHT CORNER

Posted Image

The core of the map are two adjacent ridgelines. There is a swampy river that runs through about half of the valley in between then turns south. Standard spawns will be in the top right behind the military camp and bottom left below the artillery base. There is a railroad bridge to the upper left which allows a faster route across the swampy terrain at the expense of being elevated and exposed. I imagine the bridge modeled on the Imjin River Freedom bridge. The remainder of the valley below the river bend with have some undulating terrain to provide some minimal cover from the ridge lines above. To the very bottom of the valley there is a large bombed out building which will provide some cover to those trying to cross the valley. For inspiration for this building, look to the workers party hq building in Cheorwon, SK. Now moving to the ridges, both sides will have trails along the top with various cut outs and boulders for cover and firing positions. Both sides will have razor wire fences and watch towers all the way across. The main feature on the south side is a large fortress like guard post, simply look to South Korean guard posts for inspiration; they are concrete fortresses covered in razor wire. On the north ridge the main feature is a large temple or pagoda like compound; similar to those found on the game's existing Asian maps. In the bottom right sector of the map there is also a tunnel under under the valley to provide an additional flanking route that may lead to standoffs. While in reality the NK incursion tunnels weren't terribly large, this will call for some artistic license as the tunnel will need to be at least as double the width of the largest heavies. There should be a couple blown out tanks in the tunnel for some cover. The north end of the tunnel can be adorned as a construction site, while the south end should appear freshly blown open. Beyond the ridges to the north there is an NK military camp as well as an abandoned railyard. To the south there is an artillery base and then across the river is a village. There should be trains on the tracks on both sides of the map to provide some additional cover. Also there should be blown up Pershings and T-34-85s across the map as war relics.

XBOX ONE 

Garage has too many tanks to list now...

Maxipotzac #35 Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:22 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8173 battles
When will the results be announced?
English is not my native language, but who cares? (  so do not write to me in this case )  ;)

STUART SHERMAN #36 Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:38 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40572 battles
  • [FLT]

Hello? 

Are there any winners here?  :D

The suspense is killing me. 

:ohmy: :rolleyes:

BrogueOne #37 Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:29 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 23247 battles
  • [ELDER]

View PostGallant Prime, on 22 July 2019 - 02:56 AM, said:

Well, I could not help after reading another thread but wonder what the creative minds of the forum might be able to come up with in regards to map design.

So break out your colored pencils, your crayons, your MS paint, your etch-a-sketch or whatever you feel comfortable designing with and design a map for WoT console.  Will it get made?  Who knows but have fun and you can earn some tanks in the process.  

So the rules...

Criteria looking at:

Prizing:  I have the following codes of this batch left (3) T-32 Proto, (2) Stark, (1) Skorpion G, and (1) Wojtek.  First place gets a choice of 2 tanks, Second place gets a choice of 1 tank (after 1st place player chooses).  (I'm a bit eager to give the rest of these codes out btw so I am hoping for a 3rd place but not making promises).

Good luck, and have fun!    

Meow?

Gallant Prime #38 Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:38 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 45358 battles
  • [47R]

View PostMaxipotzac, on 13 August 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

When will the results be announced?

View PostSTUART SHERMAN, on 14 August 2019 - 07:38 AM, said:

Hello? 

Are there any winners here?  :D

The suspense is killing me. 

:ohmy: :rolleyes:

View PostBrogueOne, on 16 August 2019 - 08:29 AM, said:

Meow?

Ooops.  Sorry guys--thought I had this to end August 15th.  :hiding:  This will be a lot tougher to decide than I thought. :ohmy:  I will try and have the winners announced by next Friday.  :medal:

Maxipotzac #39 Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8173 battles
any news? 

CamaroGuy96 #40 Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:08 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 10231 battles

View PostMaxipotzac, on 23 August 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

any news? 

+1

XBOX ONE 

Garage has too many tanks to list now...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users