Siegfried Line Assault broken.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

TransparentBlue #1 Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13341 battles

So....   Four assault mode maps in a row sucks bad enough already.  

Siegfried Line attackers spawn in an open, undefendable field while defenders start in hard cover, where all the decent positions are.  Goodbye all attacking heavies, been nice knowing you.

The only way defenders lose in this map is if they're totally incompetent. 

Fight me.  Tell me how wrong I am.

sergeant-slow741 #2 Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:33 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21827 battles

View PostTransparentBlue, on 21 August 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

So....   Four assault mode maps in a row sucks bad enough already.  

Siegfried Line attackers spawn in an open, undefendable field while defenders start in hard cover, where all the decent positions are.  Goodbye all attacking heavies, been nice knowing you.

The only way defenders lose in this map is if they're totally incompetent. 

Fight me.  Tell me how wrong I am.

Arty is the answer...:trollface:

End of passion play, crumbling away I'm your source of self destruction. Veins that pump with fear,sucking darkest clear leading on your death's destruction. Taste me you will see more as you need dedicated to how im killing you.

TransparentBlue #3 Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:38 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13341 battles

View Postsergeant-slow741, on 21 August 2019 - 06:33 PM, said:

Arty is the answer...:trollface:

Arty that has a huge advantage when heavies are spotted in an open field?

Green won our latest assault with one or two tanks left mostly because our artillery had an average game while theirs both scored 0-0-0. 

Assault is already often a simple question of whether the defenders have binoculars and decent scouting or not. 

Tempest fox3 #4 Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:43 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 20701 battles
  • [JOCO]
Attackers have to be aggressive from the start but it's entirely possible for them to win.

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131 - In order obtained

Spoiler

duc888sps #5 Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:51 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23263 battles

View PostTempest fox3, on 21 August 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

Attackers have to be aggressive from the start but it's entirely possible for them to win.

^^This, if Reds can find a weak side (there's usually one) and take control of one side of the town quickly, job jobbed.

TransparentBlue #6 Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13341 battles

View PostTempest fox3, on 21 August 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

If the defenders are incompetent, sure.  

Otherwise this is original Overlord Assault all over again.

Defenders have the high ground and cover, attackers forced to approach few available choke points fully exposed to fire from any well positioned defenders.  

Assuming you get to the one covered choke point (North end of castle wall), you have to crest a steep rise to get through to what?  Why, a bit more uncovered territory, of course!

I've seen incompetence enough to know it's possible to win this on attack. How many randoms even think in terms of choke points and cover?  I'm not sure.

But attack shouldn't rely on defender incompetence.

Tempest fox3 #7 Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:02 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 20701 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostTransparentBlue, on 21 August 2019 - 06:55 PM, said:

If the defenders are incompetent, sure.  

Otherwise this is original Overlord Assault all over again.

Defenders have the high ground and cover, attackers forced to approach few available choke points fully exposed to fire from any well positioned defenders.  

Assuming you get to the one covered choke point (North end of castle wall), you have to crest a steep rise to get through to what?  Why, a bit more uncovered territory, of course!

I've seen incompetence enough to know it's possible to win this on attack. How many randoms even think in terms of choke points and cover?  I'm not sure.

But attack shouldn't rely on defender incompetence.

It doesn't rely on defender incompetence. It relies on attacker competence. There's a difference.

If the attackers good Ridgeline fighting tanks they can push left side or middle road. If they don't then they should push right side. 

Attackers and defenders can both get into position at the same time. How to carry out the attack depends on what tanks the attackers have.

Generally speaking, if the attacks play aggressive they can secure a foothold. Once they've done that it's very hard for the defenders to get them out. 

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131 - In order obtained

Spoiler

Allegheny64 #8 Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:48 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 52695 battles
Frankly, I enjoy the way the spawns are located.   Think about it, the city of Aachen was on the Siegfried line and was one of the most fortified and heavily defended German cities. I wish more assaults were like this.  The historical similarity is a definite plus. 

'An what I do on yer' grave won't pass for flowers

Pit Friend #9 Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 33185 battles
  • [PTATO]
That’s one of the few maps where an Assault mode makes sense. The town is intended to be a defensive strongpoint. 

When the nice guy loses his patience the devil shivers. 

TheOnlyTrueNoob #10 Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:23 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 18305 battles
  • [KAPPA]
I've always thought of it the other way round, attacking on that map is easy to win whilst defending is more of a pain to win.

3 Marked Tanks

DrHorrible4Life #11 Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:34 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12499 battles

View PostTempest fox3, on 21 August 2019 - 07:02 PM, said:

It doesn't rely on defender incompetence. It relies on attacker competence. There's a difference.

If the attackers good Ridgeline fighting tanks they can push left side or middle road. If they don't then they should push right side. 

Attackers and defenders can both get into position at the same time. How to carry out the attack depends on what tanks the attackers have.

Generally speaking, if the attacks play aggressive they can secure a foothold. Once they've done that it's very hard for the defenders to get them out. 

The lack of communication in 15v15 favors defense.  Cover, elevation, and clock all favor defenders.

The only way to overcome that is a fast moving, competent offense with map knowledge, and winning the pregame lottery for team composition. 

Meanwhile the defending team doesn't even need thumbs and can still win.

It is also possible that both teams will be competent (in theory) in which case defense will still win.

TransparentBlue #12 Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:06 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 13341 battles

View PostTempest fox3, on 21 August 2019 - 07:02 PM, said:

Please explain where exactly is the foothold the attackers need to seize? 

Every hypothetical situation had a counter-hypothetical, but I promise not to offer one if you tell me what you picture to be the attackers' initial objective.  What's the first step?  Middle road is suicide -- unless again, defender incompetence comes in.  

So imagine you're in command of the attacking green team... What foothold do you seize first and how?

Ttone5722 #13 Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:52 AM

Major

• Players
  • 16306 battles
  • [WTAF]
Malinovka assault says hi...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users