The joy of speed

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

XT356 #1 Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:34 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9352 battles
  • [WOOO]

When I started my tanking career, I was a heavy man, focused solely on heavy tanks. Then one day, I played a medium. But I couldnt adjust to the play style, still on the damn the flank and full steam ahead mentality. Then I started to play more and more mediums and a sprinkle of lights and TD's here and there. Now, my heavies are collecting dust and the lights and mediums are taking over. The sheer ability to get to a good position and freedom to change flanks is liberating. More so in lights than I could have ever imagined.  I never imagined unlocking four tier ten mediums in less than six months. I never imagined actually enjoying them.  Hell, im working on a tier nine light as we speak.  Now if only I could find a way to enjoy arty, then I would be an all round tanker. 

Anyone else have a similar story?

“Greatness is a transitory experience. It is never consistent. It depends in part upon the myth-making imagination of humankind. The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in. He must reflect what is projected upon him. And he must have a strong sense of the sardonic. This is what uncouples him from belief in his own pretensions. The sardonic is all that permits him to move within himself. Without this quality, even occasional greatness will destroy a man.”

motor sw #2 Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:53 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14040 battles
  • [STRV]

Almost the same here. I started with heavy tanks. Then I discovered medium tanks. It was a learning curve (still learning) in the beginning, but the mobility and being able to react to new developments on the battlefield I really like. Now I feel most comfortable in medium tanks, even if I tend to over extend almost all the time. But not as bad in light tanks which I started to play the last year or so. I have the occasional good game but the speed often leads me to a early demise.

I still grind heavy tanks but they feel slow and sluggish but can be fun occasionally. I´ve never really played TD´s that much, don´t have the patience for it. I only played French arty for the Trebuchet achievement.

So I´m a scrub, equally bad in any tank type :teethhappy:

FusionStar287 #3 Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:08 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20355 battles
  • [JOCO]
I started with heavies and over time have played more and more of the other classes, but while I may not play heavy tanks as often as I used to I still play them frequently. I find armor to be more valuable than mobility, especially when it comes to having great carries, so most mediums and TDs I play still have solid armor as well (with lights and sniping TDs making up most of the "no armor" group of tanks I own).

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

milesizdead #4 Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:34 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 17372 battles
  • [47R]
I don't recall really, early days are so far gone already :)

But I think I was drawn to lights and mediums early on, I think I sold my heavies and TDs around tier eight, and focused on the more maneuverable tanks from then on. Chaffee was the tank that convinced me of being a light tanker.

The only reason I play other tanks than lights and medium is my grinding nature.

SandM9 #5 Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:50 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 32452 battles
Similar story. Going fast and drifting is consistently fun and not dependent on RNG. Unless you get a "frozen" map.

Welcome to the forums. Where you can call people stupid, just don't call them passive-aggressive.

N333DL3 #6 Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

Major

• Players
  • 38782 battles

Mine is the opposite.  I started out and played primarily lights, and they still represent over 50% of my 39k games.

Recently I've been playing heavies and been enjoying the ability to take a shot and do some damage with gun, brawling, etc.

Cobravert #7 Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27310 battles
  • [WPLAC]

View PostXT356, on 22 August 2019 - 11:34 PM, said:

When I started my tanking career, I was a heavy man, focused solely on heavy tanks. Then one day, I played a medium. But I couldnt adjust to the play style, still on the damn the flank and full steam ahead mentality. Then I started to play more and more mediums and a sprinkle of lights and TD's here and there. Now, my heavies are collecting dust and the lights and mediums are taking over. The sheer ability to get to a good position and freedom to change flanks is liberating. More so in lights than I could have ever imagined.  I never imagined unlocking four tier ten mediums in less than six months. I never imagined actually enjoying them.  Hell, im working on a tier nine light as we speak.  Now if only I could find a way to enjoy arty, then I would be an all round tanker. 

Anyone else have a similar story?

Kind of. 

I started out 5 years ago expecting the proverbial German quality and armored monsters to be the ticket. To my dismay there was a nerf on all German mediums that I was using at that time, and I got really frustrated with the game and switched to the US heavy line. It worked better for me until the T29. I've never hated a good tank so much before, because I could never make it work like everyone else seemed to be able to. Once I got to the T32 I hoped it was over, but it continued. So I jumped ship and started the Russian TDs. Everything clicked, and I was having more success.

It took me another 3 1/2 years to try an arty, only out of pure frustration with dealing with them.

It made me a better player since I understood them more.

I've tried the same thing with German lights, but it's either me or the German lights for I really do not do all that well in them. As to you comment about being a better all round tanker, I'd recommend running an arty line. It's eye opening.

panthermark #8 Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12430 battles

View PostFusionStar287, on 23 August 2019 - 01:08 AM, said:

I started with heavies and over time have played more and more of the other classes, but while I may not play heavy tanks as often as I used to I still play them frequently. I find armor to be more valuable than mobility, especially when it comes to having great carries, so most mediums and TDs I play still have solid armor as well (with lights and sniping TDs making up most of the "no armor" group of tanks I own).

I don't play heavies or TD's much.  Mostly lights and fast mediums....but what you say is true....especially at higher tiers.  Armor is more valuable than speed in this game because we are all confined to a box. As the tiers get higher, the view range abilities among tank classes get closer, and the map "shrinks".  The problem is made worse with certain game types (Encounter/TD) and corridor/City maps.

It is probably why I'm always frustrated with this game because I prefer fast tanks.  I find them fun....which is the whole point of playing the game....to have fun. 

3 MOE's: VK 30.01D (VI), T-34 (V), M-24 Chaffee (V)

2 MOE's: Indien-Panzer (VIII), T-20 (VII), Cromwell B (VI), Snakebite (VI), T-37 (VI), M4 Sherman w/Derp (V), VK 16.02 Leopard (V)

panthermark #9 Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:34 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12430 battles

View PostN333DL3, on 23 August 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

Mine is the opposite.  I started out and played primarily lights, and they still represent over 50% of my 39k games.

Recently I've been playing heavies and been enjoying the ability to take a shot and do some damage with gun, brawling, etc.

Yup, I started out with lights, and basically went from their to fast mediums. My Chaffee is still my most played tank and I've probably played it 50 times in the past 18 months.   I don't do heavies....but I've been tempted.   It would be nice to be able to bounce a shot or two and actually deal damage. 

3 MOE's: VK 30.01D (VI), T-34 (V), M-24 Chaffee (V)

2 MOE's: Indien-Panzer (VIII), T-20 (VII), Cromwell B (VI), Snakebite (VI), T-37 (VI), M4 Sherman w/Derp (V), VK 16.02 Leopard (V)

CamaroGuy96 #10 Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:00 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 9953 battles
I started as a medium player. Way back in the beta the M4 and the PzIV were how I learned to play. But after a while I got the T29 from the Jumbo and I realized I could really wreck stuff with a heavy. The T29 is still my best tank. I still love mediums too though.

XBOX ONE 

Garage has too many tanks to list now...

Pit Friend #11 Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:23 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32973 battles
  • [PTATO]
Slow moving tanks have gotten extremely boring for me to play. Especially with artillery and being bottom tier a lot making the heavy armor that makes those tanks slow pointless. 

Una nox dormienda - You only live once (but classier)

XT356 #12 Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:35 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9352 battles
  • [WOOO]

View PostPit Friend, on 23 August 2019 - 04:23 PM, said:

Slow moving tanks have gotten extremely boring for me to play. Especially with artillery and being bottom tier a lot making the heavy armor that makes those tanks slow pointless. 

Yep. I cant bring myself to bring out the E100 or the PZ VII anymore (The latter which I [edited]HATE). The only TD im really playing is the jadgtiger (amazing assault gun) or the fist of righteousness (FV4005) due to its high risk and high reward gameplay and it is also faster than the E4.
“Greatness is a transitory experience. It is never consistent. It depends in part upon the myth-making imagination of humankind. The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in. He must reflect what is projected upon him. And he must have a strong sense of the sardonic. This is what uncouples him from belief in his own pretensions. The sardonic is all that permits him to move within himself. Without this quality, even occasional greatness will destroy a man.”

groovingreg #13 Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:05 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20013 battles
Possibly my most memorable battle.  Pre-Super nerf Chaffee.  My absolute favorite tank ever.  When i joined the 360 beta i kept getting circled to death by chaff's,  so decided to learn light craft.  Well on the ps4's wot release not many knew the danger or even how to combat these yoloing tin cans of death.  

scwirpeo #14 Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:15 AM

Major

• Players
  • 40506 battles
  • [CRY]

Meh I just wanted to play lights tbh but got stuck with mediums because no high tier lights. Lights were crap for a long time cool for a little and now it's back to crap.

Honestly wish I had just played nothing but TD and Arty the entire time. My wn8 would be incredible.

MOEs so I can pretend like they matter

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users