Just gotta ask again.. platoon breaking MM

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

zeus 171 #1 Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:34 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 15848 battles

So I rarely have time to play, but I jumped on last night to do the daily on the 705 and standard b, and in three straight back to back games, they had a 5 man tier X platoon on the reds, same guys, that gave the reds, a 5 count tier x advantage all three games.

We had an equal number of tanks, until their platoon gave them 5 more X’s.  

We were steam rolled each of the 3 games...

With all the changes that take place, this is one that needs to be addressed immediately!!!

sergeant-slow741 #2 Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:40 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20843 battles
Soon™ ( MAYBE )
End of passion play, crumbling away I'm your source of self destruction. Veins that pump with fear,sucking darkest clear leading on your death's destruction. Taste me you will see more as you need dedicated to how im killing you.

Cobravert #3 Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:06 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27310 battles
  • [WPLAC]

I have rarely ever focused on platoons "breaking" match making anywhere near as much as I see the "weight" system to create the problems with building teams.

Sure there are doom platoons ever once in a great while, but they are not common.

But when the match making system puts all the red's platoons in tops tier, and the green's are all bottom, that is almost always an instant recipe for disaster. Then the match maker "balances" the teams by making the red's mostly heavies, and the green's in mostly mediums and non turreted TDs.....  In most cases that = Game Over

Teffisk #4 Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:14 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22682 battles
  • [-L7-]
I think limiting platoons to two of a certain tank per platoon would be a start. Meme platoons of 5 Deathstars or 5 FV304s or 5 Rampanzers are just match breaking.

DUBIOUSrepair #5 Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27906 battles
  • [LYCAN]

Doom platoons and noob platoons occur far more often that I would like to see.
I've said it before, 1/3 of the team either completely dominating or failing in epic form is not good for the game as a whole.

The only real arguement I've ever heard pro 5-man platoons is the camaraderie aspect, to which I can understand. All other arguements don't hold water for me. And I don't think camaraderie is a big enough of an arguement to keep it. I think it creates more problems than it solves.

MatchMaking changes, tank buffs & nerfs and spawn relocations have been tried and yet the issue obviously persists (if the number of posts dedicated to this aspect of the game is any indication).

And if this could be the final nail in the coffin for this game, then so be it. Better to let it die while trying to improve it than keeping it as broken as it is. IMO.

JediAL78 #6 Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18403 battles
i personally think platoons should be limited to 3 persons. 5 man platoons are potentially too game breaking. 3 man max should be the limit.

List of tanks I have in Garage

Spoiler

EdwardSt #7 Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2452 battles
Naah, just remove platoons from the game. Or limit up to 2 ppl only and match them tier to tier, class to class. Platoons, no matter what class or tier, should not ever give a glimpse of pre advantage for any team.

If there is something you cant control properly, there are only to options to go: remove it completely, or get your socks together and start to control it properly.

OldRugger51 #8 Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:33 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19662 battles
  • [BAN-1]

View PostEdwardSt, on 23 August 2019 - 11:19 AM, said:

Naah, just remove platoons from the game.

Then you might as well get rid of clans as well. Why be in a clan when you can never platoon with clan mates?

Possibly the finest science fiction novel I have ever read. - Robert Heinlein on The Mote in God's Eye

RaunchyWallaby #9 Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:41 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 7526 battles
  • [CUMMM]
It's not platoons ruining the MM, it's the MM not knowing how to balance. Perfect example was a game I had yesterday in which our team had ONE heavy (me in the King Tiger) an old the reds had TEN heavies, the majority of which were Tier 10s....

DUBIOUSrepair #10 Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:22 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27906 battles
  • [LYCAN]

View PostRaunchyWallaby, on 23 August 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

It's not platoons ruining the MM, it's the MM not knowing how to balance. Perfect example was a game I had yesterday in which our team had ONE heavy (me in the King Tiger) an old the reds had TEN heavies, the majority of which were Tier 10s....

Curiously, how many platoons were in the battle? If there were, how big were they? And if they were larger than 3, were they well matched against the opposing platoon in tier and class?

RUReady2Die #11 Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:53 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 30974 battles
  • [IMTLZ]
This would be a tough one to sort out. The only reason I play is due to platoons. This has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the camaraderie of visiting with my friends some which I have had for yrs well before tanks. For example, if my friends are not playing tanks I don't play at all or even if my friends/ clan mates are filled up I stay in chat with them while playing another game suited for single player until space available. I hated the three man platoons and If had my way would allow all fifteen to platoon up. My advise, Get some friends together and platoon up.

xKingTidusx #12 Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 10745 battles

Had a fine steamroll 2 days ago, no platoons in my team and a 5 man top tier heavy platoon on the red side.

Things like that should NEVER happen!!

How is that fair, starting a battle and know you'll lose.

CatSnipah #13 Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 26026 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostEdwardSt, on 23 August 2019 - 04:19 PM, said:

Naah, just remove platoons from the game. 

So, you want to take an ONLINE MULTIPLAYER game - which has a social component, as all online games do - and remove it just because you don't like it. 

:facepalm:

CatSnipah #14 Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 26026 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostRUReady2Die, on 23 August 2019 - 07:53 PM, said:

This would be a tough one to sort out. The only reason I play is due to platoons. This has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the camaraderie of visiting with my friends some which I have had for yrs well before tanks. For example, if my friends are not playing tanks I don't play at all or even if my friends/ clan mates are filled up I stay in chat with them while playing another game suited for single player until space available. I hated the three man platoons and If had my way would allow all fifteen to platoon up. My advise, Get some friends together and platoon up.

I agree.  

Through 4+ years playing this game, I've played solo, in platoons of five, and now mostly in 2 or sometimes 3.  But I rarely play solo anymore (unless I'm waiting for someone or they hopped off and I still want to finish 1 or 2 things).  

I don't play this game ONLY to be social with my friend(s), but I would play significantly less if I could no longer platoon with my friends / clan mates.

It's kinda the backbone of an online multiplayer community, isn't it?

TocFanKe4 #15 Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:40 AM

Major

• Players
  • 20736 battles
  • [GIRLS]
I think they've given up on fixing MM. They're just going to put in +/- 1 and call out a day. It's the easy way out.

The E25 was built for Shenanigans

CatSnipah #16 Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:02 AM

Major

• Players
  • 26026 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostTocFanKe4, on 24 August 2019 - 12:40 AM, said:

I think they've given up on fixing MM. They're just going to put in +/- 1 and call out a day. It's the easy way out.

And it’s going to create as many issues as it fixes. Simply because they won’t do the work to fix anything else. This won’t be the panacea many here blindly hope it will be. 

UnsoundDineen #17 Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:25 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10091 battles
5 man death star platoon:trollface:

JelliedPenny08 #18 Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:49 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15534 battles

View PostCatSnipah, on 24 August 2019 - 01:02 AM, said:

And it’s going to create as many issues as it fixes. Simply because they won’t do the work to fix anything else. This won’t be the panacea many here blindly hope it will be. 

This is my concern. With the more restrictive MM in place making pmm platooning harder I thought they were fixing things. I appreciate they are trying, and experimenting, with the core game mechanics. It shows willing, but I wonder how far it goes. 

However I got into a battle last week as the only tier 8, but a green platoon of an Is-7 with an MS-1 and the French tier 1. It does make me wonder why I can't platoon a PMM 8 with TT 7s anymore "because it's been fixed". 

TransparentBlue #19 Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:05 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13049 battles

View PostEdwardSt, on 23 August 2019 - 04:19 PM, said:

Naah, just remove platoons from the game. Or limit up to 2 ppl only and match them tier to tier, class to class. Platoons, no matter what class or tier, should not ever give a glimpse of pre advantage for any team.

If there is something you cant control properly, there are only to options to go: remove it completely, or get your socks together and start to control it properly.

You may as well tell friends they can't play on the Xbox together.

It's not the platoons, it's that the matchmaker does not assign individual weights to every tank in the game, so the balance of a match is often wrong.  

Right now, only about 40 tanks are assigned extra weight in the matchmaker.  All tanks should have an individual weight based on the unique wins of average players. 

The side benefit of individual weighting is that there would be no more need for nerfs and buffs because stronger tanks would simply trigger an equal number of stronger tanks on the opposition and weaker tanks would trigger weaker tanks on the opposition.

Also nobody would have reason to get mad because the tank they bought or earned got changed after they got it. 

Will an occasional platoon still roll the other team? Sure, but that's part of playing online.

xKingTidusx #20 Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:25 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 10745 battles

I wouldn't remove platoons, they are part of the game, but god damn, remove five man platoon and limit it to 2-3 players.

An Absolution five man platoon, a Deathstar/wth-100 platoon are just awful.

And did I mention the games where you have zero platoons and the enemy a five man platoon?

Good luck with that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users