Grind OP Machine

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

AskingCupid78 #21 Posted 30 August 2019 - 06:06 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 46011 battles

View PostDrivableBeast35, on 30 August 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

Mercenary tanks should be spun out into their own separate game for the kiddies. They could make that game as Fortnitey as they want, with tanks dancing on your carcass once you're dead, etc. Your gold, silver, free XP, etc. would all be usable in either game. WoT originalists would be left to play their game in peace and sanity.

Exactly, it would have been different if it was tanks that was built by small nations or tanks that was heavily modified by small nations and maybe some things that did not quite fit in to the main techtree of the main nations, but please no more of these monstrosities, they are ruining the very core of the game.

STUART SHERMAN #22 Posted 30 August 2019 - 06:17 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40537 battles
  • [FLT]

View PostHolyBreadLoaf, on 30 August 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

It's your choice if you want to grind for them or not. No one is forcing you to. If you get burned out because of the grinding.... Well that's on you not Wargaming

Agreed that it is a choice. 

But the question was is Mercenaries good for the game? I’m curious how others feel about it. 

"Stop it with all the negative waves..."    Oddball

motor sw #23 Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:13 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14577 battles
  • [STRV]
Instead of Mercs they should put the new tier X tanks they are releasing now as contract rewards. They are reward tanks on the PC after all.

HolyBreadLoaf #24 Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:56 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 30468 battles
  • [A_O_E]
Merc tanks are a love/hate item in the game. I personally don't think they are ruining anything. They do add a unique dynamic to the game. Yes you see slot of tanks running about trying to fulfill a contract. I personally just adjust my gameplay.  Like I said earlier. People either love'em or hate'em!

Wroclaw #25 Posted 31 August 2019 - 02:21 AM

Major

• Players
  • 56521 battles

View PostLacqueredBacon, on 30 August 2019 - 03:42 PM, said:

I agree.  I don't think the Merc tanks are good for the game.  I also think a few are OP and should be nerfed.

& some of the Nerfs that they have received need to be reversed :

Slapjack

Centrifuge 

Stubbs

PoopStopsHere #26 Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:07 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29715 battles
  • [PCP]
I say No.  I think Merc tanks help the game a little.  Gives some users a goal to work towards + (mabe) forcing a player to use other tanks they don't normally use.

TransparentBlue #27 Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:14 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 13414 battles

View PostSchiavoser, on 30 August 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

Mercenaries have been good for the game, in my opinion. In fact, I think it's disappointing they have not continued to release more non-premium Mercs, including a Merc artillery or two. Yes, WG could invent another TT, but this was a creative alternative. Besides, as the Italian fiasco has proven, a new nation TT is not an inherently superior experience.

Merc tanks themselves are a decent concept but they all look stupid, like they drove through a scrapyard coated in glue...

I like the long-term play requirements to earn them and I think that supports further interest among veteran players.

However, most stages of most contracts are done using the highest tier tank available.  This is the worst possible outcome in this regard.  

Merc contracts should be tier-restricted, to force play at lower tiers to earn them. Each stage should be tier capped.  More players in low and mid tiers would greatly enhance the new player experience.

I can accept them in the meta, but I don't like them for what they do to the game.  

pilotguy79 #28 Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:18 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 17670 battles
  • [LIP]

They certainly don’t help. They are introducing horribly broken tanks. The machine,chisel,hardcase etc.

ive been on my brother inlaw’s account and he has them. These tanks are terrible for standard tank lines as they are overwhelmingly better. That chisel is amazing. The spaced armour and it’s over armour layout allows this tank to just plow forward and do what no medium at tier 10 can do. 

The machine is just as bad for the game. It effectively replaces all autoloading heavies at tier 10. Again looking at the armour profile for competing auto loading heavies. So looking at the 57 heavy. The machine hands down is better. Amx 50 , no contest.

Next I looked at speed. The machine is faster than the 57 and amx 50b

next I looked at the gun same accuarcy as the 57 but can dump its clip faster. 

The gun is better than the 50b it reloads faster and dumps it faster. 

The machines alpha is slightly lower.

so hands down the machine wins. It’s gun,armour and speed out class.

i didn’t throw the kranny in because it’s not even close. The machine is better against the kranny in nearly every aspect except alpha damage.

Improved Aus #29 Posted 31 August 2019 - 01:35 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 27610 battles
  • [1CAB]
What a [edited]show these merc tanks have turned wot into. Teams of machines just decimating the place and the dev team figured they had to nerf the batchat and tvp. Go figure

alw2001 #30 Posted 31 August 2019 - 01:39 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13194 battles
Yes they are ruining the game. I mean whats fair about a fully aimed shot into the side of a hardcases turret bouncing with the gun of an ST-I?

JelliedPenny08 #31 Posted 31 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15956 battles

View PostSTUART SHERMAN, on 30 August 2019 - 02:40 PM, said:

So I just finished the Machine contract and I gotta say it’s a relief to be finally done with it. 

I am not a fan of the whole Merc idea. Banana Buster, Beach Party, T.A.N.K., Turtle, etc. most have no basis on actual tanks. So instead of a Swiss line, or a line of Small Nation tanks we get these ridiculous things that require grueling long time grinding to acquire. This contributes to player burnout. Which contributes to loss of player base. Which in turn contributes to sketchy MM. Add seal clubbing in and we are not only losing veteran players we are not keeping new ones either. 

I sold my previous 2 Mercs and used the silver to buy M48 Patton but am on the fence about Machine. In principle I do not like it but it’s prowess on the battlefield is undeniable. 

Interesting question. I don't think.they are destroying the game, but the way the contracts are implemented and being completed might be. 

I was very against the Mercenaries after they launched because they weren't what was promised or expected. I have mellowed to some of them though. Some are more believable than others too. I like the fact that the Absolution has a German hull, turret and gun, it makes it a lot less farfetched. Similarly I believe that there was an idea to use the Centurion turret on the Churchill / Black Prince hull that could have been the Banana Buster (not sold on that gun, but can imagine them wanting to upgun it later). Obviously the Plaguebringer was a real M36 variant too. 

I do really like to play the Banana Buster, Beach Party / Trinity and the Spyglass. I think a real strength of mercenaries is to fill out more playstyles within the game because they aren't constrained so much by history and that could be a real lifeline for the game in the future. The same could be said of the balancing opportunities to create a playstyle and performance level for a given tier. 

However some of the balancing opportunities have been missed, many of the merc tanks have been unnecessarily nerfed after their contracts expire like the last update did to the Centrifuge and Spyglass. Also a lot of Mercenaries just seem to have bad or derpy guns which would seem counterintuitive. 

But the real problem seems to be how the contracts are released meaning anyone going for a contract is likely going for the same one, to the same deadline, with the same requirements. If the contracts were always open this wouldn't be an issue. Players would have finished whatever they were doing before starting the machine, then they would have started the Chisel in staggered groups. 

Then the contract requirements funnel the players up into the highest tiers too early. Only the last stage should be the highest tiers (as it is the longest stage). This would at least give players the opportunity to not just play tiers 8-10 if the gameplay was suffering there. Whether they would take that opportunity is a different problem. The stage requirements also seem to be designed without thinking in large numbers of players competing for requirements. It's all very well saying that you only need one other team mate alive to get spotting assists late game, but not if they are on the same stage as you and hoping you will give them assists by shooting. 

I do think mercs could be improved and could be a good thing for the game. They need to be well implemented first though. 

CowboyArizona #32 Posted 31 August 2019 - 02:40 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 23077 battles

As you can see, many of the answers are split, which indicates Mercenaries are very divisive.  That itself may mean it drove people away.

I deal with the real estate market renovating houses as a hobby, and most people doing houses for sale paint them mass-pleasing colors like beige.  So, they appeal to the most people.  However, once in a while you'll find this one house that will have purple bedrooms, blue living room, yellow baths, etc.  Most people won't like that house, BUT a few will love it.  I relate that to Mercenaries.  It probably drove some people away, but hardcore WoT and the Mad Max / Waterworld people accept it.

Edited by CowboyArizona, 31 August 2019 - 02:42 PM.

STUART SHERMAN #33 Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:00 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40537 battles
  • [FLT]

View PostThermalStone, on 30 August 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

Merc contracts are the best thing to happen to the game in years.  An alternate way to grind for vets, long term goals to keep players interested, premium time farming, a way to introduce new tanks as the nation based approach runs out of new lines.  

Sure they could tone down the Xtreme attitude about 40 percent, and like all tanks, there are some balance issues, but overall Mercenaries have made this 5 year old game much healthier and more interesting.  I hope there are more new tanks and contracts after the Chisel.

I certainly appreciate the idea of bringing new content to the game, but I don’t really see it being all that successful in building the player base. Most of my clan and some friends have taken extended breaks lately and Mercenaries have been sited as contributing factors. 

It is interesting to see the range of responses here and it seems I’m not the only person that is disappointed. 

"Stop it with all the negative waves..."    Oddball

duc888sps #34 Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:21 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23717 battles

Personally, I won't have anything to do with them.  I won't start "contracts" for the goodies (although I have before briefly) They are, just a mockery and nonsense aimed at small children.  Feel free to disagree.

Ruining the game?

It matters not, WG now have WOW's to milk as well as hard core tankers who swallow anything thrown at them.

As always, my wallet votes by staying firmly closed.

PumpkinEcobar #35 Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:32 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15054 battles
Players are always looking for reasons for a 5 year old game losing players.

I personally don't think merc tanks are bad for the game. Some are OP, some are UP. Just like TT and premium tanks.

Contracts give seasoned players something to grind for, if that's their thing. I don't grind them myself, I only have 2 tier 6 mercs. I have plenty of burnout problems just playing normally.

TheFleaSniper #36 Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:39 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 2308 battles
I love the idea of earnable tanks outside the tech tree. However, the Merc tanks just aren't it for me. I would love if the new free xp tanks were earnable and if we could get the personal mission tanks from PC earnable as well. Full thoughts here: https://m.youtube.co...h?v=0XHBh5EloIU

JatemKaa #37 Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 62379 battles

Mercs, like a lot here, was a good idea. However, it got twisted up by WG into something only vaguely resembling the original concept. Even now, they could be changed into something more reasonable but can't see WG doing it - they care too much for the almighty buck. Lots of the stages have VERY difficult requirements that often rely more on blind luck than skill - stages inserted to try to get players to spend money to skip that stage or outright buy the tank to avoid the hassle. Fair in a way I guess, after all it does take money to power the server - can't imagine the server requires that much money to justify the high price as is, but SOME cost would be entirely expected." A fool is born every day" I believe the saying goes. And if a player wants to spend $50 for a tank, I hope they get their moneys worth. Not likely to happen with how WG nerfs them shortly after they come into play, but in a few cases that hasn't happened yet. As long as the player who spends the money is happy, more power to them. Unfortunately, a lot of posts show this is not the case.

As far as the merc tanks themselves, until recently I did play the grind to get them until about tier 6 - after that it became more of a hassle than the enjoyment I was getting out of doing the grind. And when the nerfed the Stubbs just days after I got it, it destroyed the appeal.

And as far as how they affect gameplay, I agree with the opinion that having half of your team trying for the same requirement that requires a gameplay style that is not conductive to the normal player ruins many games. It could be fixed so easily by making the time for the contract much longer so players would be staggered or by having a much larger choice of potential contracts. So far, WG hasn't seen the wisdom to try to reduce the effect of the short time contract - and probably never will given they are trying to force the player to buy the tank when they get to the last stage and not enough time is left to complete the contract.

hexine #38 Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:29 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24347 battles

i enjoy the mercenary tank lines, they are fun original tanks that add new content

if you don't wana do them, don't do them

i do however admit the really childish banana buster ect were lame and should not have been added

WEREW0LF 8541 #39 Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:51 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 47620 battles
What is WRONG with you folks there's nothing WRONG with a make believe made up and "slapped together" ooooooh armored vehicle with a gun. Why heck I want an anime version commanded by none other than a quadra genered/species Pee Wee Herman with tentacles. And green and pink spiked hair and googley eyes wearing a mini and 9 inch heels and holding a miniture unicorn named Sparkles and the space clown crew who were trained by the notorious half sunkist orange/umpaloompa Trumples this WONEROUSLY magnificent mercenary tank also shoots Skittles from its 1000 mm gun and carrying impenetrable armor while traveling at warp speed to vanquish its enemies.

JatemKaa #40 Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:41 AM

Major

• Players
  • 62379 battles

View PostWEREW0LF 8541, on 31 August 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

What is WRONG with you folks there's nothing WRONG with a make believe made up and "slapped together" ooooooh armored vehicle with a gun. Why heck I want an anime version commanded by none other than a quadra genered/species Pee Wee Herman with tentacles. And green and pink spiked hair and googley eyes wearing a mini and 9 inch heels and holding a miniture unicorn named Sparkles and the space clown crew who were trained by the notorious half sunkist orange/umpaloompa Trumples this WONEROUSLY magnificent mercenary tank also shoots Skittles from its 1000 mm gun and carrying impenetrable armor while traveling at warp speed to vanquish its enemies.

If WG will make it, why not. Someone would buy it..... personally little of it appeals except the idea of the tank having Skittles, but that is for crew rations not shooting. Skittles are a special ration - give the crew a sugar high that lasts for half the match and boosts all stats by plus 50%. And then for the rest of the match -50%. Anime tanks wouldn't be too bad.... but bikini-clad women would be a better crew than the quad pee-wee one (have to be realistic, complete nudity in a game played by children sometimes just wouldn't be right). Green and pink hair would go nicely in an anime tank (look at the animes that have them), googley eyes not so much. Minis and 9 inch heels I guess wouldn't be too bad (different tastes for different folks I guess). And the Unicorn hangs from a chain under the barrel like the skulls once did. Can't even picture a space clown crew in spite of an anime background, nor an half Sunkist orange umpaloompa (weren't they supposedly blueberry or something like that - forgot since my childhood 50 years ago). And isn't the 1000mm gun the gun that the Deathstar and high tier artys use for one shotting? Impenetrable armor would have to go, but a force field shield effect would go nicely with the warp speed... 

Edited by JatemKaa, 01 September 2019 - 01:46 AM.

Also tagged with Grind, OP, Machine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users