Jump to content


Are Mercenaries Destroying the Game?

Grind OP Machine

  • Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

JatemKaa #41 Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:41 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 62379 battles
  • 4,416
  • Member since:
    05-27-2014

 

 

 

 

 

a


Edited by JatemKaa, 01 September 2019 - 01:44 AM.


Comixfan #42 Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:58 AM

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 3410 battles
  • 46
  • [-SH-]
  • Member since:
    07-31-2015

View PostSTUART SHERMAN, on 30 August 2019 - 02:40 PM, said:

So I just finished the Machine contract and I gotta say it’s a relief to be finally done with it. 

I am not a fan of the whole Merc idea. Banana Buster, Beach Party, T.A.N.K., Turtle, etc. most have no basis on actual tanks. So instead of a Swiss line, or a line of Small Nation tanks we get these ridiculous things that require grueling long time grinding to acquire. This contributes to player burnout. Which contributes to loss of player base. Which in turn contributes to sketchy MM. Add seal clubbing in and we are not only losing veteran players we are not keeping new ones either. 

I sold my previous 2 Mercs and used the silver to buy M48 Patton but am on the fence about Machine. In principle I do not like it but it’s prowess on the battlefield is undeniable. 

 

 

One of the worst things Wargaming did was add the travesty called Mercenaries to World of Tanks on console. It should have been a separate game mode with Merc tanks vs Merc tanks. Mercenaries should never have been added in to the regular multiplayer game mode.

 

The absolute worst thing they did was add The Machine. That thing is so ridiculously broken. It needs to be removed completely.

 



VoluptaBox #43 Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:56 AM

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 1534 battles
  • 55
  • [REDIT]
  • Member since:
    08-16-2019

I don't really like them as I enjoyed the illusion that we played a historical game, even though it obviously isn't. Mercenary tanks shatter that illusion. Having said that, it's merely my personal preference and it doesn't make them inherently bad.

 

I like that there is additional content and a 'different' way of obtaining tanks. My main gripe is with the way the objectives are constructed, as a lot of them promote unhealthy behaviors. I think it could have been a great opportunity to promote some actual good game play.



CivilWarGoat #44 Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:58 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 24270 battles
  • 1,033
  • [RED1]
  • Member since:
    11-09-2013
I think the lack of a map rotation and map burn out are much larger issues.

LargoGinganinja #45 Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:40 AM

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 22470 battles
  • 67
  • [CLGUY]
  • Member since:
    12-28-2017

View PostVoluptaBox, on 01 September 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

I don't really like them as I enjoyed the illusion that we played a historical game, even though it obviously isn't. Mercenary tanks shatter that illusion. Having said that, it's merely my personal preference and it doesn't make them inherently bad.

 

I like that there is additional content and a 'different' way of obtaining tanks. My main gripe is with the way the objectives are constructed, as a lot of them promote unhealthy behaviors. I think it could have been a great opportunity to promote some actual good game play.

 

I like them personally but your right all they have to do is remove the medal requirements and that would stop the encouragement of bad behaviour. The scouts medal in particular just causes light tanks to yolo to death and hope that the team wins. Mind you it seems most light tanks do that anyway especially snakebites LOL

STUART SHERMAN #46 Posted 01 September 2019 - 04:40 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 40486 battles
  • 2,088
  • [FLT]
  • Member since:
    09-10-2013

View PostTransparentBlue, on 30 August 2019 - 10:14 PM, said:

 

Merc tanks themselves are a decent concept but they all look stupid, like they drove through a scrapyard coated in glue...

 

I like the long-term play requirements to earn them and I think that supports further interest among veteran players.

 

However, most stages of most contracts are done using the highest tier tank available.  This is the worst possible outcome in this regard.  

 

Merc contracts should be tier-restricted, to force play at lower tiers to earn them. Each stage should be tier capped.  More players in low and mid tiers would greatly enhance the new player experience.

 

I can accept them in the meta, but I don't like them for what they do to the game.  

 

Yes, I find some of their appearance fairly, um ugly. I do like the glue factory analogy too, that hits it right on the head. :teethhappy:

 

The long drawn out contract requirements coupled to a tank that can be OP leaves those that don’t want to grind them feeling disadvantaged. The consequences of not having them mean some will be left less interested in playing at all.

 

Mercenaries was was advertised as the next great thing, but player base does not seem to be positively affected. However they are here to stay as I cannot see how to remove them without causing a huge uproar. 

 


                                   

                                                     "Stop it with all the negative waves..."    Oddball


WidowMaker1711 #47 Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:00 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 11798 battles
  • 9,986
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014
I dont think Mercs are ruining the game. Some of them maybe a little OP bordering on broken but there are just as many, if not more, average or underperforming tanks.

For Russ and the Allfather

 

 


IronSnake123 #48 Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:16 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 32249 battles
  • 401
  • [NOOBZ]
  • Member since:
    09-12-2016
I don't mind the merc tanks but the grind is awful. When I finished the machine I was like cool, now I can enjoy the game again and play the tanks I want. The issue isn't even the grind itself it's the time limit on it. You have to "schedule" your time because you don't want to put all that work in and have it expire on you. I'd remove the time limitation on them, and I'd also take you the stupid medal requirements for some levels. 

DrivableBeast35 #49 Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:32 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 31018 battles
  • 2,326
  • Member since:
    08-08-2013
My biggest concern is that a few of the Mercenary tanks are simply way too overpowered. The Absolution ruins its tier as does The Machine. I was playing a game the other night and as soon as he saw the red team had three Machines on it, one of my teammates said "I'm done. Good luck guys." He didn't even bother. That's not good.


 


mi amigo 9 #50 Posted 02 September 2019 - 02:28 AM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 19756 battles
  • 373
  • Member since:
    12-24-2016

View PostTocFanKe4, on 30 August 2019 - 03:30 PM, said:

Mercs are also bad for the game becuase the stage requirements make people play poorly.  Yolo for spots or setting fires, crap like that.  When I'm trying to play a normal game and win, and the guy next to me Yolos out to get spots and dies, it messes over the entire team.  I'd hate Mercs less if each stage was just XP or damage. 

 

I don't think Machine is OP but Abso just needs to move up a tier.  In general they are OK but they need to be more avg and the contracts need to not be so difficult that it effects the meta of the game or be so long you are burned out by the time you finally get them.  The chisel is what 1.6 million XP?   First the Tusk was an unmitigated disaster of lights and then the machine pretty much made lights dissappear and you saw nothing but british heavies and mediums which actually wasn't a horrible thing.  People are actually teaming up to make the chisel requirement at stage 5 but maybe that is a positive thing.  Wait until they roll out a tier 10 Merc artillery and see how many people will need therapy when there are 10 aside artillery in the game.

mi amigo 9 #51 Posted 02 September 2019 - 02:34 AM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 19756 battles
  • 373
  • Member since:
    12-24-2016

View PostThermalStone, on 30 August 2019 - 04:11 PM, said:

Merc contracts are the best thing to happen to the game in years.  An alternate way to grind for vets, long term goals to keep players interested, premium time farming, a way to introduce new tanks as the nation based approach runs out of new lines.  

 

Sure they could tone down the Xtreme attitude about 40 percent, and like all tanks, there are some balance issues, but overall Mercenaries have made this 5 year old game much healthier and more interesting.  I hope there are more new tanks and contracts after the Chisel.

 

I wouldn't go that far but then again i've only been playing 3 years and have plenty of the TT left to explore.  I like them for all you mention especially when they actually contribute to me grinding the TT in unfamilar lines.  They need to be more careful about the meta though.  I think a better idea if they insist on keeping the forced contract time is to make all contracts available at once and the timer starts only when you begin the contract.  Then everyone isn't in lockstep at the same time on the same contract.

STUART SHERMAN #52 Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:53 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 40486 battles
  • 2,088
  • [FLT]
  • Member since:
    09-10-2013
After playing last night I am leaning even more toward Mercs ruining gameplay. Hoards of Xs swanning around the map all trying to complete the same dang OP. 

                                   

                                                     "Stop it with all the negative waves..."    Oddball


PrimalSeal1965 #53 Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:58 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 11056 battles
  • 570
  • [RETRO]
  • Member since:
    05-04-2016

I'd say whatever trips your trigger, another words if you like it great and if not then great.

 

Me personally, hadn't tried any contracts because seeing others not liking the concept and considering how much grinding is involved. Well, I figured due to my skill level I wouldn't stand a chance lolol. When I had last played there wasn't any MERC tanks it was just WORLD OF TANKS. Being sick a lot I hadn't been able to play in about a year. When I came back boy what changes and rumor mill was busier than ever either saying the game was dead or other stuff. It was really a surprise for me to see all the changes as I was totally unaware of them being I hadn't even logged on.

 

I really love the game even with all these changes I still love it and I love the historical side of the game. Those little tid bits of history is and are just awesome for me. Yea so whatever it takes to keep a player base I am all for, I'd like to see the game last forever and evolve better and better. Some times I feel suggestions just fall on deaf ears but I do see an attempt to try to help players and keep the game growing. 

 

The best part of the MERC thing is you aren't obligated to do them it's basically your choice to endure long hours of grinding to get a particular tank. In fact it's a choice we all have concerning any tank in the game. Anyways it is what it is, grind or not to grind...Fun or not so much fun...I'm taking the fun route!  



MoodyDale #54 Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:21 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 42701 battles
  • 565
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014
The merc tanks themselves are not.  Its the crazy OPs to get then is what the issue is.  1x assists eight times in a medium or heavy.  Ridiculous.  On my last one though.  Hopefully my sanity is there after it.  Clear sailing after that

MoodyDale #55 Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 42701 battles
  • 565
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014
Should have posted my frustration earlier.  Just got the last one

STUART SHERMAN #56 Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:44 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 40486 battles
  • 2,088
  • [FLT]
  • Member since:
    09-10-2013

View PostPrimalSeal1965, on 04 September 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

I'd say whatever trips your trigger, another words if you like it great and if not then great.

 

Me personally, hadn't tried any contracts because seeing others not liking the concept and considering how much grinding is involved. Well, I figured due to my skill level I wouldn't stand a chance lolol. When I had last played there wasn't any MERC tanks it was just WORLD OF TANKS. Being sick a lot I hadn't been able to play in about a year. When I came back boy what changes and rumor mill was busier than ever either saying the game was dead or other stuff. It was really a surprise for me to see all the changes as I was totally unaware of them being I hadn't even logged on.

 

I really love the game even with all these changes I still love it and I love the historical side of the game. Those little tid bits of history is and are just awesome for me. Yea so whatever it takes to keep a player base I am all for, I'd like to see the game last forever and evolve better and better. Some times I feel suggestions just fall on deaf ears but I do see an attempt to try to help players and keep the game growing. 

 

The best part of the MERC thing is you aren't obligated to do them it's basically your choice to endure long hours of grinding to get a particular tank. In fact it's a choice we all have concerning any tank in the game. Anyways it is what it is, grind or not to grind...Fun or not so much fun...I'm taking the fun route!  

 

+1 for positivity. Glad you are back and enjoying the game. :great:

Mercenaries will not drive me away personally but the bigger question is has it helped grow a player base? Friends and Clan mates have taken other games due to the effects of others playing out Merc. contracts among other things. 

I’ve said that they can cover the game with dung and light it on fire but I will still play. I’ll stand by those words but it seems like making money has taken priority over growing the game. 


                                   

                                                     "Stop it with all the negative waves..."    Oddball


WEREW0LF 8541 #57 Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:39 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 47590 battles
  • 373
  • Member since:
    01-12-2015
I just got newest merc tank it's a tier XI and is called the Sparkle and is pink and fluffy with bunny ears and fangs and with a clown's head and plays music (The age of Aquarius) in stereo and has autoloading gun that fires Skittles isn't that great and the contract was sooooooo easy to grind I JUST had to get 1 billion in damage 2 billion in XP and survive feeding great white sharks dressed as a fur seal!

giaka #58 Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:57 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 43859 battles
  • 19,574
  • [WTAF]
  • Member since:
    06-29-2013
Yes is the word you’re looking for. 

WG Balance 101, If a tank has a high survival rate, nerf its gun.

 

 

 


WidowMaker1711 #59 Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:03 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 11798 battles
  • 9,986
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

View PostWEREW0LF 8541, on 04 September 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

I just got newest merc tank it's a tier XI and is called the Sparkle and is pink and fluffy with bunny ears and fangs and with a clown's head and plays music (The age of Aquarius) in stereo and has autoloading gun that fires Skittles isn't that great and the contract was sooooooo easy to grind I JUST had to get 1 billion in damage 2 billion in XP and survive feeding great white sharks dressed as a fur seal!

 

Id have believed you if you said Tiger Shark


For Russ and the Allfather

 

 


RaunchyWallaby #60 Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:14 AM

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 7850 battles
  • 95
  • [CUMMM]
  • Member since:
    05-09-2014
I don't think the tanks themselves are ruining the game, but rather the manner in which you have to earn them. These contracts force a lot of players into high-tier games, players who really have no business being there. I can't tell you how many times I've seen lemming trains go down into the valley on El Halluf, or into the city on Heilbron (I've got many, many more examples) in tier 10 games since these contracts started. Sure, stuff like that happens occasionally, but it seems as though it's been every third game or so since these contracts started...





Also tagged with Grind, OP, Machine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users