Chisel contract stage 5: Tips & Tricks on getting spotting assisted damage.

Chisel Contract Stage 5

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

ApexPaladin #61 Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:10 AM

Private

• Players
  • 11442 battles

Just a lurker giving their two cents.

I just fulfilled the spotting requirement for Stage 5 last night after only a few days of grinding solo. Mediums would be able to get this done without having to get close to the front lines, provided you're able to keep the reds lit safely and continue to advance while not having one of your fellow greens get close enough to spot for themselves, denying you spotting assists. Heavies on the other hand would need to get closer, preferably hull down is possible, to get spotting assists and keeping your gun in play (and contributing to the match).

I've found that the Vengeance T25 Pilot is possibly the best (Pocket Light) tank to use for this part of the stage due to its overall stats. Its camo rating, from what I've read into anyway, is better than most Tier 8 Mediums by default and will make it easier to stay undetected while spotting or moving to another spot. Additionally, the 55 KM/h it can hit is decent and can quickly accelerate too. View range is decent as well (optics or binocs are better). It also has 1450 hit points which should be manageable to exceed in spotting damage (granted, the Centurion 1, *T69, and the Perishing have 1350 HP in comparison...un-upgraded, however).

I've also used The Machine (got 2 assists with it) and using the insane mobility, paired with decent view range and strong turret armor, does help in acquiring and maintaining a good spotting and hull down position, assuming you have allies around to pick apart the reds you're keeping lit up. However, using an aggressive vehicle in that manner is a bit of a waste and not exactly being used to its fullest potential.

*T69 doesn't get anymore hit points through available upgrades

Edited by ApexPaladin, 02 September 2019 - 12:12 AM.

Gallant Prime #62 Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:40 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 44693 battles
  • [47R]

View PostSadriel Fett, on 01 September 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

I think the trick is playing the game how the Dev's want you to play the game, not how it should be played or how it's normally played by people who actually play the game.  I ended up switching to the EU server last night, since that server is always "camp central."  I ended up getting 5 of the required spots in a little over an hour.  I used my Tier 8's that had the lowest hit points, M46 Korean Ripper, Vengeance, and M46 Deathstalker.  I ended up taking off my Rammer, Vents, and V-Stab and replaced them with a Camo Net, Optics and Binocs.  I ran with food consumables to help boost Vision and Camo and to help offset the loss of my regular set up.  Find a position midway to the front lines and sit there while your teammates are torn apart.  Don't fire a shot, or it'll give your position away.  It's okay to let them die, because you're getting all those assisted damage points and playing the game the way the Devs want you to play it, apparently.  I know, it's completely underhanded and a crappy way to play, but it works and you can get those points pretty quick.  

Afterwards, a few of us watching Darr's stream ended up platooned up in Arty to help a couple of those folks get some of their spotted assist damage in our Tier 8's.  Even with our help, I think they only ended up with a couple each.  So, you can farm the points that way, as well.  It's just not as quick.  I've found what works quicker for me was going at it solo and playing the crappy "Dev's way" to play the game.  Don't know if that helps or not, but good luck either way, dude.

Thanks.  Just got my first one in the Vengeance actually.  Doing crew training though and threw on a 10x crew and a 5x xp.  Also threw on cola so maybe I was not burning enough gold product?  

Edit:  2 in a row now.  

Edit 2:  3 in 5 games.

Edited by Gallant Prime, 02 September 2019 - 02:15 AM.

I_TriffNix #63 Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:25 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 15344 battles

View PostTempest fox3, on 31 August 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

Try reading the op. 

I know it but some others Not!

xVeDoXx #64 Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:49 AM

Private

• Players
  • 14086 battles
  • [TANQC]

The spotting is so [edited]they shouldn't put this in a contract.. you can light 3-4 time on yout binoc and keep them on your sight and the second one heavy comes and the tank get shot you don't get any assistance... been doing it for about 9 hours still 0/8 this is ridiculous.. 

M4ntiX #65 Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:53 AM

Major

• Players
  • 28617 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostxVeDoXx, on 02 September 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

The spotting is so [edited]they shouldn't put this in a contract.. you can light 3-4 time on yout binoc and keep them on your sight and the second one heavy comes and the tank get shot you don't get any assistance... been doing it for about 9 hours still 0/8 this is ridiculous.. 

Remember to be ahead/away from your teammates far enough to not share spotting damage with. Just follow my guide and you will get it eventually, you have plenty of time, no need to stress out over it. :) Good luck.

"4 kids single father 2 boats a plane 3cars and more battles than you."

"Jesus you smegheads are whiny about your Epeens."

xVeDoXx #66 Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:57 AM

Private

• Players
  • 14086 battles
  • [TANQC]
Even far ahead yiu always have this freakin clown that comes next to yiu in his 110e5 and then every shot the enemys take are sharde in 25 different parts they even give to the enemy team [edited]ahahah but its just ridiculous beacuse yiu are there end the second somebody  see the enemy too i jost dont get enymore spot assis... 

AVDO15 #67 Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:28 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 50 battles
  • [ELIT]

View PostxVeDoXx, on 02 September 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

not working

SpandexRockstar #68 Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:36 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22599 battles
  • [OD1N]

All good advice so far in this thread, but still no High Cals and only 2 of the spotting done (Vengeance and Machine).

So this weekend was the first time I've ever felt the frustration. I've got all apart from three Merc tanks so have experience of most Merc grinds and have to say the curve on this difficulty spike is way too steep and out of proportion to all the others. I'm disappointed so much so that I've hardly played, I don't like the way I'm behaving in battle, I don't like that this is mostly luck based, I don't like that they timed this stage 5 to hit the x2 silver for Tier 10's, I don't like that I'm normally on the side of the devs (I'm a game dev myself) and now I'm totally seeing WG in a different light. I even thought about jacking it all in. I usually platoon most night, but I haven't bothered. There's no fun here at the moment so I'm taking a break.

pilotguy79 #69 Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:09 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 17443 battles
  • [AOO]
Try pairing up with someone who plays arty or plays a stage 2 or other high alpha td’s

CerebralScarab #70 Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:27 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27814 battles

View PostSpandexRockstar, on 02 September 2019 - 10:36 AM, said:

All good advice so far in this thread, but still no High Cals and only 2 of the spotting done (Vengeance and Machine).

So this weekend was the first time I've ever felt the frustration. I've got all apart from three Merc tanks so have experience of most Merc grinds and have to say the curve on this difficulty spike is way too steep and out of proportion to all the others. I'm disappointed so much so that I've hardly played, I don't like the way I'm behaving in battle, I don't like that this is mostly luck based, I don't like that they timed this stage 5 to hit the x2 silver for Tier 10's, I don't like that I'm normally on the side of the devs (I'm a game dev myself) and now I'm totally seeing WG in a different light. I even thought about jacking it all in. I usually platoon most night, but I haven't bothered. There's no fun here at the moment so I'm taking a break.

I'm with ya, the spotting bit is a good challenge which will require thought ect  however for me high caliber is complete luck rng, I worked out my battles in the tanks for stage 5 verses the amount of high caliber I have in said tanks and it's not good . It's making my gaming experience hit a all time low

Mr Amerson #71 Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:15 PM

Private

• Players
  • 13378 battles
  • [VGC]
I feel like this is 90% luck. 10% skill. I'm 3 for 8, and I have had one amazing game where the lemmings seemed to actually attack a-ways  behind me while I was spotting. I got 18 assists. Normally I get 4 or 5. Been using the pershing and M46. Watched videos, read countless threads (even switched to the EU server), and it's still a gamble. Haven't even really been trying for the high caliber medals. Normally the lemmings don't stay back and that negligates all the spotting I'd have done. Then they die and it's pretty much over from there. I'm open to receive help and helping in turn. Message Mr Amerson. 

SpandexRockstar #72 Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22599 battles
  • [OD1N]

So now I'm one High Cal from completing this stage. I've actually enjoyed the spotting challenge, it's been fun to fine tune a crew and equipment for this specific task, in my case the Vengeance was the weapon of choice. Maxed out all the spotting and camo skills including Silent Driving, Designated Target and Signal Boosting, used Optics, Vents and Camo Net (view range was pretty good so optics were the choice here as I play more active than passive) and topped this off with Food, LRK and LFAK

With this setup , I got 3x Spotting last night (inc 1x high Cal and 1x spotting in one game, wth?) in almost consecutive games on EU late evening.. I think luck had a bit to do with it though.

Now on to the last High Cal, where I know I'll be such a try hard.

PDXPat #73 Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:58 PM

Private

• Players
  • 6241 battles

At the risk of being the FNG, I am confused with Stage 5 - Assist with spotting.  I just competed two battles, one with a T32 another with an M103.  For the T32 I had a (spotting) assist of 2,213, its maximum health is 1,550.  With the M103 I had a spotting assist of 3,000 and its maximum health is 1,900.  I did not get credit for either one of these battles.  What am I missing?

ThisBreakneck #74 Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:00 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 51053 battles

View PostM4ntiX, on 30 August 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

Hi all,

Given how many complaints surfaced recently in regards to this particular contract stage, I figured I will give you some pointers how to complete it quickly and painlessly.

As a joke, I wrote this HERE quide a few days ago. It isn't without merit. Platoon with an artillery buddy and ask him/her to fire on targets you're spotting. This is, by far, the easiest method to complete this challenge. Now, onto the actual pointers.

• You will be doing this in a medium or heavy tank. Play it as such and don't try to pretend you're a light tank. You don't have the speed or camo values for that.

• Take up an aggressive position early on if you can. Some maps allow to push hard and go hull down. Use this to your advantage. If not, be patient and wait for an opportunity to arise.

• If you're spotting targets and are not spotted yourself, do not fire. Let the assisted damage numbers roll.

• Use a tank with the lowest hitpoint pool possible to make the challenge a little bit easier.

• You do not have to get the assisted damage in first minutes of the battle (again, not a light tank!). Take your time, you have 15 minutes to accumulate it and sometimes, when there are few tanks left and lights are dead, it's actually easier to control vision late game and farm assists.

• Invest in equipment and crew skills to fulfill this challenge. I recommend Optics and Vents, 3rd slot is personal preference, I would run Vert. Stabs but you could try passive scouting with Binocs  (it's very map dependant so I don't really recommend it)

• Have your crew trained with Sit. Awareness, Recon, BIA, Designated Target and Call for Vengence (in that order). If you can afford it, you can increase your view range by running food consumable as well.

• American meds seem perfect for this challenge due to their crazy spotting range, but I got it in the Machine, an E5 and a stock Conqueror by being aggressive and front-lining ahead of my team. It all depends on the map and player distribution.

• If you see yolotards who are trying to complete this, don't compete with them. Wait till they die and take over their positions to farm assists later on yourself.

• Watch some videos online (I highly recommend the Turkey Tank) to learn about good spotting locations and general vision control tactics.

• Lastly, be patient. Most players seem to be rushing in sacrificing their tank and failing instantly. Remember, your teammates must be in range to fire at the targets you spot. Rushing in like a headless chicken is pointless. Play aggressively but smart. Have hard or soft cover handy in case you get spotted.

• If a position you're in doesn't work and you're not getting any assists, relocate. Tier VIII Perishing seems ideally suited to this and I recommend using this tank. One, decent spot on a tier X may be enough assisted damage to complete a part of this challenge.

Good luck and good hunting! :)

Thank you for putting this up.

678 tanks in garage

TennisMan56 #75 Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:19 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30579 battles
  • [STDZ]

Thanks M4ntiX helped me finish stage 5 yesterday. The hardest part about getting the 8 spotting assist damage is not shooting the tracks off higher tier tanks. Well that and hoping enough green team can hit what you spot.:great:

P.S. Interesting how green team arty could not hit the lake in the middle of Lakeville map if they tried, but red arty could hit a gnat across the map, on the move. :trollface:

Edited by TennisMan56, 09 September 2019 - 12:23 AM.

M4ntiX #76 Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:22 AM

Major

• Players
  • 28617 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostTennisMan56, on 09 September 2019 - 12:19 AM, said:

Thanks M4ntiX helped me finish stage 5 yesterday. The hardest part about getting the 8 spotting assist damage is not shooting the tracks off higher tier tanks. Well that and hoping enough green team can hit what you spot.:great:

I'm glad I could be of assistance. Remaining stages are lengthy & grindy, but easy in comparison. It should be a breeze from this stage on. :)

"4 kids single father 2 boats a plane 3cars and more battles than you."

"Jesus you smegheads are whiny about your Epeens."

TennisMan56 #77 Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:27 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30579 battles
  • [STDZ]

View PostM4ntiX, on 09 September 2019 - 12:22 AM, said:

I'm glad I could be of assistance. Remaining stages are lengthy & grindy, but easy in comparison. It should be a breeze from this stage on. :)

I never mind the grinds, that is what the game is about. It also helps that I can grind on getting the tier 10 British heavy line while earning for the summer games and the contract. Win, Win Win.:)

Once again thanks for so great info. 

Edited by TennisMan56, 09 September 2019 - 12:28 AM.

A L I E N 8th #78 Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:13 PM

Private

• Players
  • 15130 battles

View PostM4ntiX, on 30 August 2019 - 10:46 PM, said:

Stage 5
  • Earn a High Caliber medal in 2 battles
  • Assist with spotting damage totaling at least 1x your maximum health in any number of battles
  • Earn 76,800 or more XP in any number of battles

Play as Caernarvon or any British, American or Mercenary; Medium Tanks or Heavy Tanks; Tiers VIII - X

Hello

Can any one explain:

• Played with Centurion AX, maximum health points = 1.950
  • Achieved assisted damage points = 2.104

But it did not count for the contract. Why ???

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,

A L I E N 8th

Very Classy #79 Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32194 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostA L I E N 8th, on 19 September 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

Hello

Can any one explain:

• Played with Centurion AX, maximum health points = 1.950
  • Achieved assisted damage points = 2.104

But it did not count for the contract. Why ???

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,

A L I E N 8th

Any Assisted Damage that counts as Track Assist does not count toward this Objective. Strictly Spotting Assist only. Just to make it all the more frustrating.

There is literally an Xbox 360 in a museum, and this is the best joke you can come up with?
                                                                                         -- allhavoc

A L I E N 8th #80 Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:43 PM

Private

• Players
  • 15130 battles

View PostVery Classy, on 19 September 2019 - 10:19 PM, said:

Any Assisted Damage that counts as Track Assist does not count toward this Objective. Strictly Spotting Assist only. Just to make it all the more frustrating.

Many thanks for your explanation.

A L I E N 8th

Also tagged with Chisel, Contract, Stage 5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users