Is it better to survive or give lots of damage?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

LufberyDrew #1 Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 265 battles

This seems like an easy question, but I haven't seen enough games to figure it out. Obviously, it's best to damage/kills lots of enemies AND survive the battle. But right now, it seems to be either/or with me. 

So, do I get more experience points by surviving or by dishing out a bunch of damage?

deadmeat1027 #2 Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:50 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16613 battles
  • [PCP]
The longer you can stay alive and keep your gun in the game the better. You can be effective as long as you still have hp just keep yourself in the game doing damage. If that means falling back to a support role then do it.

If you are over 25 years old, play on the XBOX, and are tired of running solo in MP games, you are welcome to stop by and check out Pork Chop Platoon - an over 25 XBOX only community. www.porkchopplatoon.com

SchildMESSER #3 Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:27 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23354 battles
  • [NWO]
If u survive with 0dmg  you get not much I prefer to play aggressive even if I die more dmg= more fun

Since we got censorship @ it´s best.

You may want to check out this 

killer etzi0 #4 Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:29 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58233 battles
  • [47R]
Damage my man... it's all in the damage!

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."

Ronald Reagan

SightlessRogue0 #5 Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:34 AM

Major

• Players
  • 18612 battles
It always depends on what do you mean by "survive"? Camping and hiding ... or just playing a little less aggressive being careful not to receive unnecessary damage?

I use Google translator for english language

Lots of juggling in french text, sometimes translator in trouble with that. If you do not understand what I write, tell me.

LufberyDrew #6 Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 265 battles

View PostSightlessRogue0, on 07 September 2019 - 10:34 AM, said:

It always depends on what do you mean by "survive"? Camping and hiding ... or just playing a little less aggressive being careful not to receive unnecessary damage?

The latter. However, I'm actually wondering how survival affects the amount of experience and silver  you get. So, if I cause 100 damage and survive, or 200 damage and die, which gives more exp and silver? I'm still not consistent enough to see how it plays out in my results. It makes sense that there would be an advantage in exp and silver to staying alive until the end of the battle.

SightlessRogue0 #7 Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18612 battles

View PostLufberyDrew, on 07 September 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

The latter. However, I'm actually wondering how survival affects the amount of experience and silver  you get. So, if I cause 100 damage and survive, or 200 damage and die, which gives more exp and silver? I'm still not consistent enough to see how it plays out in my results. It makes sense that there would be an advantage in exp and silver to staying alive until the end of the battle.

By definition, the faster you die, the less chance you have of doing damage. At the end of the game when there is less red cannon you can afford to be more aggressive.

Edited by SightlessRogue0, 07 September 2019 - 01:13 PM.

I use Google translator for english language

Lots of juggling in french text, sometimes translator in trouble with that. If you do not understand what I write, tell me.

LufberyDrew #8 Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:59 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 265 battles
Thanks for the kind responses. I was wondering if there was a survivor's bonus in experience or silver. It doesn't look like there is.

GroomingChief65 #9 Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:59 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10524 battles

There are many very smart players out here who may know how the exact calculations are done but as far as I know survival itself doesn't play any role in XP or silver bonus. Being on the winning team definitely seems to make a difference. What's also nice about the XP calculation is it does take assisted damage into account. So if you do a lot of front-line spotting for the team but die a bit early you may still finish at the very top if your team was taking advantage of it.  There are times when lighting up the opponents does make a huge difference early in a match and allows your team to jump out to a nice numerical advantage so no I wouldn't say with certainty that it's always better to survive longer. I mean try like heck to stay alive but your gun should be in the game early and / or you should be spotting tanks for someone else's gun, being way out of position but staying alive -- no, not the best way to play the game. 

As a solo player for monthly 'recents' on wotinfo I shoot for 60% wins and I don't look at survival rate a whole lot, but as a rough guide I would like my survival rate to be at 40% or more. Those are the numbers that I like to see if I think I'm playing well. If I'm at 30% survival even if the other numbers look ok I'm probably not making the best decisions.    

Stahlbrezel #10 Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:47 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26717 battles
Afaik, the XP of damage varies... sniping from far distance brings way less XP then damage from close range and damaging higher tiers brings more XP than lower tiers. Staying alive and losing brings almost no gain, if u could get additional damage instead and die.

Hic Rhodus, hic salta... ~ Aesop

deadmeat1027 #11 Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:36 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16613 battles
  • [PCP]
Never head of getting less xp for being further away. There are tds that have no armor and really cannot be close. Why would they get less xp because they have to play from a distance?

If you are over 25 years old, play on the XBOX, and are tired of running solo in MP games, you are welcome to stop by and check out Pork Chop Platoon - an over 25 XBOX only community. www.porkchopplatoon.com

Stahlbrezel #12 Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:54 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26717 battles

Well, but i'm quite sure that u gain more xP for damage made at close range. Therefore arty has the lowest XP gain as a class afaik.

Maybe some of the experts here can confirm this?

Edited by Stahlbrezel, 09 September 2019 - 08:55 AM.

dzhey43 #13 Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:10 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 28596 battles
  • [3EBC]

View Postdeadmeat1027, on 09 September 2019 - 12:36 AM, said:

Never head of getting less xp for being further away. There are tds that have no armor and really cannot be close. Why would they get less xp because they have to play from a distance?

they gain less xp not only their targets 200m away but they shoot the tanks they usually do not spot themselves and this is much bigger difference of 50% of what you get if you spot the targets yourself. 
Spoiler

JelliedPenny08 #14 Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:33 AM

Major

• Players
  • 15558 battles

There is a range aspect to xp earnings that reflects the risk.of being in the fight rather than supporting it. I believe Max has said what it is, but it isn't huge. There is also a survival xp, but it is tiny to the point where you would be better off dealing an extra shot of damage.  

Quite honestly dealing damage vs taking damage is a balancing act. I think you will swing one way or the other until you learn the positioning. It can be harder to pick up from PvE engagements where players usually flock to on each map, as the bots often behave a bit differently and work in "waves". The best position is one where you can deal damage to a frequently visited part of the map whilst protecting your tank. Then the balance starts because fast tanks will try to catch you out of position on your way there, or flank you when in position. Most well designed maps are constructed so that each defensible position has a counter to it. Then there is also arty. 

Personally I would go for damage. Each time you get killed ask what could you have done to prevent that? Were there any warning signs that could have signalled you to relocate? I would say only go for survival in the late game if you have a chance to win it and you can't rely on your team to do it where the extra damage trade for your tank doesn't really help. For example a low health mobile tank that can fall back, reposition and potentially outspot reds can be deadly cleaning up at the end of the game shouldn't throw that advantage away on a risky bad trade. When you start to feel that you are picking it up, consider health conservation. You can also start more aggressively and move into "limp home mode" as your health dictates. 

Try looking at console hotspot maps (although most will be out of date) and watch some Turkey Tank vids on youtube. 

deadmeat1027 #15 Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:39 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16613 battles
  • [PCP]

Just trying to understand this. Simply being further away changes how much xp you get? If you spot for yourself at 300m and hit the target you would get less xp then spotting the same target at 100m. Adding spotting xp to the xp for damage of course gets more total xp, but you get less just based on how far away you are from the target?

JelliedPenny08 #16 Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:55 AM

Major

• Players
  • 15558 battles

View Postdeadmeat1027, on 09 September 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

Just trying to understand this. Simply being further away changes how much xp you get? If you spot for yourself at 300m and hit the target you would get less xp then spotting the same target at 100m. Adding spotting xp to the xp for damage of course gets more total xp, but you get less just based on how far away you are from the target?

Yes I believe their is a marginal proximity element, but struggling to remember if a distance was mentioned. The way it was described made it sound like you got a tad more for being in the "brawling zone" next to the guns firing back and forth compared to being a second line support tank tank all match. 

deadmeat1027 #17 Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:01 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16613 battles
  • [PCP]

View PostJelliedPenny08, on 09 September 2019 - 06:55 AM, said:

Yes I believe their is a marginal proximity element, but struggling to remember if a distance was mentioned. The way it was described made it sound like you got a tad more for being in the "brawling zone" next to the guns firing back and forth compared to being a second line support tank tank all match. 

mind blown! I never knew this. 

JelliedPenny08 #18 Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15558 battles

View Postdeadmeat1027, on 09 September 2019 - 12:01 PM, said:

mind blown! I never knew this. 

Sorry found it. Couldn't remember until I saw it - Close Combat Bonus. 

It's xp only not silver. Tiny bonus for closer than 200m. Sorry only quick reply, as at work. :)

http://forum-console...__fromsearch__1

Edited by JelliedPenny08, 09 September 2019 - 12:11 PM.

Stahlbrezel #19 Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:15 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26717 battles

Thanx for the effort JelliedPenny... i believe these  are figures from the PC. I've seen the same table at their forum as well.

Do you know if console is makeing the same  calculations?

KillDozer33 #20 Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:43 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5565 battles

View PostJelliedPenny08, on 09 September 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

Sorry found it. Couldn't remember until I saw it - Close Combat Bonus. 

It's xp only not silver. Tiny bonus for closer than 200m. Sorry only quick reply, as at work. :)

http://forum-console...__fromsearch__1

Wow that sucks for those tanks you grind/buy that are firmly stuck in the support role making them even harder to like. This makes you hate playing them even more, once again WG logic,:amazed:

Edited by KillDozer33, 09 September 2019 - 02:45 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users