Jump to content


Thoughts on Modern Tanks in WOT


  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

HollowPoint_808 #1 Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:44 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 19551 battles
  • 936
  • [PATS]
  • Member since:
    08-02-2016

What are people's thoughts on progressing into modern tanks from what we have now, maybe slowly moving from WWII into the 50's 60's so on to finally start bringing in current tank lines?  The challenge is how it would co exist with the old tanks. 

 

Just wondering if we get to play a more modern genre moving forward, while were content now wondering if WG changes the narrative in say 2 - 3 years? with the introduction to more powerful consoles. 

 

 


Edited by HollowPoint_808, 17 September 2019 - 10:10 PM.


Tempest fox3 #2 Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 20707 battles
  • 17,895
  • [JOCO]
  • Member since:
    08-22-2013
If they stick to the no smoothbore guns, no composite Armour and no ERA there are a few somewhat more modern tanks that could co-exist with the tier 10s in game (like the Chieftain does, early Merkavas or prototype versions of the early Abrams could work)

But if they want to bring out more modern stuff then that they'll need to separate them into their own tiers (tier 11-20 is actually achievable, or at least 11-15 and go from there).

Would it be worth dividing up the current playerbase though?

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131 - In order obtained

 

Spoiler

OldRugger51 #3 Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:01 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 19849 battles
  • 637
  • [C-X-L]
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

NINJA'D!  :teethhappy:

 

Could be a separate game maybe? The complexities of including them with our current vehicles seem daunting, especially with the advent of vehicle carried ATGMs, composite armor, APFSDS rounds using DU, super high velocity propellants, etc.


Edited by OldRugger51, 17 September 2019 - 10:02 PM.

 

“If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions.” - Jules Winnfield, Pulp Fiction

 


HollowPoint_808 #4 Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:09 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 19551 battles
  • 936
  • [PATS]
  • Member since:
    08-02-2016

View PostTempest fox3, on 18 September 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

If they stick to the no smoothbore guns, no composite Armour and no ERA there are a few somewhat more modern tanks that could co-exist with the tier 10s in game (like the Chieftain does, early Merkavas or prototype versions of the early Abrams could work)

But if they want to bring out more modern stuff then that they'll need to separate them into their own tiers (tier 11-20 is actually achievable, or at least 11-15 and go from there).

Would it be worth dividing up the current playerbase though?

 

Tempest, 

Like the idea of placing them in Tier 11 and above :) and to your point of not introducing the modern guns, armor so on, guess thats a sacrifice one can make to coexist with some of our current tank lines.  Part of why I got to think about it was the fact they introduced mercenary tanks, heck with their out of this world designs, why not slowly introduce real tanks that progress into history. 



HollowPoint_808 #5 Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:16 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 19551 battles
  • 936
  • [PATS]
  • Member since:
    08-02-2016

View PostOldRugger51, on 18 September 2019 - 06:01 AM, said:

NINJA'D!  :teethhappy:

 

Could be a separate game maybe? The complexities of including them with our current vehicles seem daunting, especially with the advent of vehicle carried ATGMs, composite armor, APFSDS rounds using DU, super high velocity propellants, etc.

 

That's true, it would be nice to enjoy all the updates to a modern tank and play it in game and in order to do that it would need to be a separate game.  Wonder if WG is thinking this as part of future plans .. 

OldRugger51 #6 Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:50 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 19849 battles
  • 637
  • [C-X-L]
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostHollowPoint_808, on 17 September 2019 - 05:16 PM, said:

That's true, it would be nice to enjoy all the updates to a modern tank and play it in game and in order to do that it would need to be a separate game.  Wonder if WG is thinking this as part of future plans .. 

 

There a dearth of any modern land warfare games, unless my scour of the inter/webs is faulty. I wish games featuring modern vehicles and equipment were available on PC, not just console. I play Matrix/Slitherine games, the latest being Order of Battle, and I would love to see OoB featuring today's MBTs, aircraft, helos, etc.


 

“If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions.” - Jules Winnfield, Pulp Fiction

 


M4ntiX #7 Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:26 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 28785 battles
  • 3,675
  • [JOCO]
  • Member since:
    03-18-2014

Better than crappy Mercenary tanks, that's for sure.

 

If, somehow, they'd manage to balance those modern tanks and assign them to higher tiers then sure, I am all for it. Anything to keep the game alive (but no more Frankentanks). :)


"4 kids single father 2 boats a plane 3cars and more battles than you."

"Jesus you smegheads are whiny about your Epeens."


ATHFjman18 #8 Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:27 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 18351 battles
  • 7,276
  • [JOCO]
  • Member since:
    06-27-2014
World of Tanks: Modern Warfare

Spike1958 #9 Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:34 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 37575 battles
  • 148
  • Member since:
    02-25-2016

View PostHollowPoint_808, on 17 September 2019 - 09:44 PM, said:

What are people's thoughts on progressing into modern tanks from what we have now, maybe slowly moving from WWII into the 50's 60's so on to finally start bringing in current tank lines?  The challenge is how it would co exist with the old tanks. 

 

Just wondering if we get to play a more modern genre moving forward, while were content now wondering if WG changes the narrative in say 2 - 3 years? with the introduction to more powerful consoles. 

 

 

 

what era do you think the M48a5, M60, Chieftan, M103, Centurion 7/1 and T62 are from?

Sammael85 #10 Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:02 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 24984 battles
  • 4,872
  • [FAC]
  • Member since:
    08-20-2015

View PostTempest fox3, on 17 September 2019 - 11:00 PM, said:

If they stick to the no smoothbore guns, no composite Armour and no ERA there are a few somewhat more modern tanks that could co-exist with the tier 10s in game (like the Chieftain does, early Merkavas or prototype versions of the early Abrams could work)

But if they want to bring out more modern stuff then that they'll need to separate them into their own tiers (tier 11-20 is actually achievable, or at least 11-15 and go from there).

Would it be worth dividing up the current playerbase though?

 

That's the idea would be more fitting. There's like a lot of tanks they could be added, including the M60A2 "Starship", MBT70, early models of the T-64 and T-72, and more.

 

View PostOldRugger51, on 17 September 2019 - 11:01 PM, said:

NINJA'D!  :teethhappy:

 

Could be a separate game maybe? The complexities of including them with our current vehicles seem daunting, especially with the advent of vehicle carried ATGMs, composite armor, APFSDS rounds using DU, super high velocity propellants, etc.

 

So, you're actually asking for a WG bugged, RNG rigged, Armoured Warfare.

Some might say i'm not constructive enough... Too bad i'm actually a deconstructivist

Si eres español/hispano y te sientes aislado por WG, no estás solo: Hay un Batallón Exiliado dispuesto a ayudarte

Hear me ROAR!!!
 


OldRugger51 #11 Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:26 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 19849 battles
  • 637
  • [C-X-L]
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostSammael85, on 17 September 2019 - 07:02 PM, said:

So, you're actually asking for a WG bugged, RNG rigged, Armoured Warfare.

 

YES!! uh....I mean no.  :facepalm:

 

Second time is a charm for them maybe?! 


 

“If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions.” - Jules Winnfield, Pulp Fiction

 


Tempest fox3 #12 Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:15 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 20707 battles
  • 17,895
  • [JOCO]
  • Member since:
    08-22-2013

View PostSammael85, on 18 September 2019 - 12:02 AM, said:

 

That's the idea would be more fitting. There's like a lot of tanks they could be added, including the M60A2 "Starship", MBT70, early models of the T-64 and T-72, and more.

 

 

So, you're actually asking for a WG bugged, RNG rigged, Armoured Warfare.

 

I mean, they can't do any worse than Armoured warfare. If people think our population size is bad and the sign of a dying game they should see Armoured warfares playerbase size. Both on console and on pc. It's practically non-existent.


War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131 - In order obtained

 

Spoiler

RUNNINGDUDE1 #13 Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:30 AM

    Major

  • Supertest - Xbox 360
  • 23784 battles
  • 9,558
  • Member since:
    11-08-2013
I have to say no for all the right reasons. The amount of xp requirements for the tank(s) would be a huge pain in the [edited]to get through the grinding on tier 10s on that line. Even the amount of silver lost with the costs of ammo and repair would be higher than ever. However, maybe a game mode with them set at tier 10 would be a better idea. Seeing modern tanks in WT says why they shouldn't be. They would be unbeatable and nerfing the hell out of them would make them no fun.

SuperSherman44 #14 Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:36 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 21331 battles
  • 899
  • Member since:
    01-07-2015
I say just make a whole new game or mode for them......

I Heart The Sherman (Best tank of WWII)

 

I got a new Xbox One S so I'm really excited!

 

R.I.P. Xbox 360 E ~2014-2019


Spike1958 #15 Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:04 AM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 37575 battles
  • 148
  • Member since:
    02-25-2016

View PostSammael85, on 18 September 2019 - 12:02 AM, said:

 

That's the idea would be more fitting. There's like a lot of tanks they could be added, including the M60A2 "Starship", MBT70, early models of the T-64 and T-72, and more.

 

 

So, you're actually asking for a WG bugged, RNG rigged, Armoured Warfare.

 

Well,thats the issue with the M60a2. Without the guided misslie ammo, it really has no reason to exist, and we can't have those in the game. Unless we can get the proper gun in the T62, we won't ever get the T64/72 series.

 

A seperate game would be the only way to go. At least maybe then they could give us 10k x 10k maps, artillery spotters, but no actual artillery units, atgms, smoke, airstrikes.



pilotguy79 #16 Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:07 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 17575 battles
  • 1,636
  • [LIP]
  • Member since:
    06-01-2016
Im for it, why not. The merc tanks added a dynamic that opened the door to modern tanks. So go for it. The spaced armour and the amount of tanks having apcr as standard ammo has increased. Be nice to see the early model abrams and see some t72 etc

USSWISCONSIN94 #17 Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:11 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 12009 battles
  • 27,719
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014

Why not have them as event tanks instead of making them into the game for tiers 11/12? why not have them in the proving grounds for the final bosses or something? Make more sense than trying to make another game (AW flopped big time and WT high tiers are more dumb than people think) 

 

A event mode for them would be fun to try


http://www.wotinfo.n...N94&server=xbox

youtube.com/channel/UCkXtmp3Ikozzl-K73GuxxNQ

 

Will WG ever have WoT offline like they promised?


RUNNINGDUDE1 #18 Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:21 AM

    Major

  • Supertest - Xbox 360
  • 23784 battles
  • 9,558
  • Member since:
    11-08-2013

View PostUSSWISCONSIN94, on 17 September 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

Why not have them as event tanks instead of making them into the game for tiers 11/12? why not have them in the proving grounds for the final bosses or something? Make more sense than trying to make another game (AW flopped big time and WT high tiers are more dumb than people think)

 

A event mode for them would be fun to try

 

Not so sure as final bosses in PG. That would be a major amount of silver losses with how much ammo you have to throw at those guys. I'd say an event mode would actually be more fitting.

Sammael85 #19 Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:28 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 24984 battles
  • 4,872
  • [FAC]
  • Member since:
    08-20-2015

View PostOldRugger51, on 18 September 2019 - 01:26 AM, said:

 

YES!! uh....I mean no.  :facepalm:

 

Second time is a charm for them maybe?! 

 

At least they have tried to bring out something interesting. Still everybody just kept up with the bad stuff, being way too vocal on the fact that is way TOO inspired on WoT despite some important differences in mechanics and, welp, how badly they treated Obsidian Games.

 

View PostTempest fox3, on 18 September 2019 - 02:15 AM, said:

 

I mean, they can't do any worse than Armoured warfare. If people think our population size is bad and the sign of a dying game they should see Armoured warfares playerbase size. Both on console and on pc. It's practically non-existent.

 

Problem is that people see what they want to see, is like with TDU 2. People started to brag out how bad was everything since they had to announce weeks prior to release that they haven't manage to get Lamborghini's because the brand acted the diva and wanted the same cache as Ferrari.

Still, WG while reading this (specially considering how bad is WoW: Legends): Wait, hold my beer.

Some might say i'm not constructive enough... Too bad i'm actually a deconstructivist

Si eres español/hispano y te sientes aislado por WG, no estás solo: Hay un Batallón Exiliado dispuesto a ayudarte

Hear me ROAR!!!
 


Sammael85 #20 Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:30 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 24984 battles
  • 4,872
  • [FAC]
  • Member since:
    08-20-2015

View PostSpike1958, on 18 September 2019 - 03:04 AM, said:

 

Well,thats the issue with the M60a2. Without the guided misslie ammo, it really has no reason to exist, and we can't have those in the game. Unless we can get the proper gun in the T62, we won't ever get the T64/72 series.

 

Is exactly the same "derp gun" (as it really is, as you already say, a launch tube in reality) that the T49 and the XM551 Sheridan have in packages, so there shouldn't be any problem as it has been already solved. ;)

 

And you know what? The MBT-70 has EXACTLY that same gun as well, so that makes two birds on one stone, right? :)


Some might say i'm not constructive enough... Too bad i'm actually a deconstructivist

Si eres español/hispano y te sientes aislado por WG, no estás solo: Hay un Batallón Exiliado dispuesto a ayudarte

Hear me ROAR!!!
 





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users