Cross-play should be coming soon, right?

Cross-play Sony Microsoft

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

FBPrime #1 Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:45 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 50447 battles
  • [-L7-]

Now that the news has circulated quite well, I'm sure many on this game are wondering when cross-play will be implemented for World of Tanks Console.  After all, WG have said multiple times that its 'like a switch' that they can turn on, but have previously not been allowed to.  Now that Sony has allowed cross-play to leave its beta state which only allowed specific developers for games such as Fortnite and Rocket League to use cross-play, it looks to be that any developer can utilize cross-play features.  The only limitation still at hand seems to be with micro-transactions and progress transferring (using same account with progress on multiple platforms) as Sony policies seem to still restrict this with some exceptions allowing an account to switch between PlayStation and PC as seen in War Thunder.  But otherwise, simply having a larger population pool for World of Tanks Console should be a good thing even if we can't transfer our progress between consoles.

"Sony hasn’t made a big official announcement of this, but apparently Wired got their info directly from Sony and SIE Interactive president and CEO Jim Ryan"

"What this means, is that basically any game on PS4 can now implement crossplay whenever they want, without having to get special permission"

"Now it's allowing all developers to make use of cross-platform capabilities"

"It'll be interesting to see which developers embrace Sony's new-found openness"

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/02/sony-ps4-cross-play-open-developers/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKOmeuyZKhg-fADa8fWKyJOItc_W4mspmEm8MavHI49zDr9taaYSoVQANVI6l9E3fxhzlHFaRx3Di5kU2dr8I4ermrXFYyXMSeEfdMKdRdknB2L7FMB6-F5HZCRZUqny54lhrMasEi7fiP10YWYIdl_JrtF3DLaSSWx2b8fv9sss

https://wccftech.com/ps4-crossplay-beta-over/

https://wccftech.com/gaijin-still-discussing-crossplay-with-sony-new-policies-arent-just-better-there-are-new-limitations/

"The 360 was released in 2005. The Super Nintendo was released in 1991. With the new Gen next year, the 360 will be farther behind the newest console than the Super Nintendo was behind the 360."

Pit Friend #2 Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:52 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34053 battles
  • [PTATO]
You would think so, wouldn’t you?

I don’t know how to act my age! I’ve never been this old before!

x_BAlN_x #3 Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:53 PM

Major

• Players
  • 62348 battles
I'm sure there is more to it than flipping a switch regardless of what was said.

matematicalone #4 Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:55 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 3165 battles
Well all we can do is hope, I really do think this alone would improve server pop and game would be healthier even if it's only cosmetic change.

x_BAlN_x #5 Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:57 PM

Major

• Players
  • 62348 battles

View Postmatematicalone, on 04 October 2019 - 10:55 AM, said:

Well all we can do is hope, I really do think this alone would improve server pop and game would be healthier even if it's only cosmetic change.

Yeah, it would help the PS4 NA and the Xbox EU servers the most.

FBPrime #6 Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:59 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 50447 battles
  • [-L7-]

View Postx_BAlN_x, on 04 October 2019 - 11:53 AM, said:

I'm sure there is more to it than flipping a switch regardless of what was said.

I'm merely quoting what has been stated from WG.  Its been said that all they needed was approval and then they could enable the cross-play on the live server as it supposedly already works on their end.  Though there has been no comment if the Xbox 360 is also able to fully support and or function with cross-play.  

"The 360 was released in 2005. The Super Nintendo was released in 1991. With the new Gen next year, the 360 will be farther behind the newest console than the Super Nintendo was behind the 360."

TocFanKe4 #7 Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21278 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostMaxChaos24, on 02 October 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

They are saying they can not that they are. It's a big difference unfortunately. 

Max posted this on the other thread when I asked if Sony was lying about cross play being open.  I took it to mean that CoD will be first, then they'll let others in after.  But who knows what the real story is. 

My dislike of +/- 1 pales in comparison to my hatred of Loaded Dice.

x_BAlN_x #8 Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 62348 battles

View PostFBPrime, on 04 October 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

I'm merely quoting what has been stated from WG.  Its been said that all they needed was approval and then they could enable the cross-play on the live server as it supposedly already works on their end.  Though there has been no comment if the Xbox 360 is also able to fully support and or function with cross-play.  

I know, wasn't directed at you. Just remembering that game size issue(?) we had a while back.

FBPrime #9 Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:07 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 50447 battles
  • [-L7-]

View PostTocFanKe4, on 04 October 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

Max posted this on the other thread when I asked if Sony was lying about cross play being open.  I took it to mean that CoD will be first, then they'll let others in after.  But who knows what the real story is. 

I think I would trust this source more, info directly from Sony and SIE Interactive president and CEO Jim Ryan.  Otherwise, its a bit of one side saying the other is lying sort of deal.  Granted, maybe it really isn't green-lighted as all the news articles are saying.  But with how many have covered it, and with Jim Ryan himself having given the information on his own behalf, I think its fair to say it probably is in the clear.

Sammael85 #10 Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 26178 battles
  • [FAC]
I come with some hard pills to digest: WG isn't interested at all in crossplay between PS and XBox because of the extra venues that this pitiful situation provides.

Did you know how many people came from 360, played tanks in it, then later on bought a PS4 and wanted to play tanks in it BUT they saw they had to start again? Meaning that buying Premium tanks they had again? That situation is absolutely positive for WG and proper crossplay would mean losing all those potential profits in one shot.

I just hope to be proven wrong in the next months but, at this point of the show, i wouldn't be surprised if WG decides to close the servers before giving a try to proper crossplay.

ImNotaBounty #11 Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:45 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 45869 battles
  • [D-12]

"Did you know how many people came from 360, played tanks in it, then later on bought a PS4 and wanted to play tanks in it BUT they saw they had to start again?"

2?

Very Classy #12 Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:52 PM

Major

• Players
  • 33180 battles
  • [JOCO]
I hope it can happen for us. Our little game would benefit greatly by bringing us together. Well, that's my unscientific opinion...

There is literally an Xbox 360 in a museum, and this is the best joke you can come up with?
                                                                                         -- allhavoc

matematicalone #13 Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:04 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 3165 battles

View PostArtsi1972, on 04 October 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

"Did you know how many people came from 360, played tanks in it, then later on bought a PS4 and wanted to play tanks in it BUT they saw they had to start again?"

2?

Maybe I know that other guy.

JatemKaa #14 Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:08 PM

Major

• Players
  • 62379 battles

View PostSammael85, on 04 October 2019 - 11:19 AM, said:

I come with some hard pills to digest: WG isn't interested at all in crossplay between PS and XBox because of the extra venues that this pitiful situation provides.

Did you know how many people came from 360, played tanks in it, then later on bought a PS4 and wanted to play tanks in it BUT they saw they had to start again? Meaning that buying Premium tanks they had again? That situation is absolutely positive for WG and proper crossplay would mean losing all those potential profits in one shot.

I just hope to be proven wrong in the next months but, at this point of the show, i wouldn't be surprised if WG decides to close the servers before giving a try to proper crossplay.

While I agree with how it looks bad about the previous mistake with the PS4 not being allowed to used the data already in WG server, I do believe it would be in their advantage to crossplay at this point to try to revive the dwindling server populations. But you might be right, the almighty dollar speaks louder to WG so it is not past them to refuse to do it because they might lose a few sales. Like you, I hope they prove me wrong.

x_BAlN_x #15 Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 62348 battles

View PostSammael85, on 04 October 2019 - 11:19 AM, said:

Only if there was cross save. Which there won't be. And anyone switching platforms now without cross play would be crazy. With cross play the games life gets extended and makes switching platforms somewhat viable.

TocFanKe4 #16 Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21278 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostSammael85, on 04 October 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

They don't lose any money if there is cross play.  You don't get to keep your 360 garage if you play on PS4 with crossplay.  You still have to start over.  All it means is that people on Xbox will be in the same battle queue with people on PS4.  That's it.  I have a PS4 garage and a Xbox 1 garage.  If I log into my PS4 account with cross play, I'm not going to have access to my Xbox tanks. 

FBPrime #17 Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 50447 battles
  • [-L7-]

View PostSammael85, on 04 October 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

I see this assessment as holding true, but I dont see why they cant allow Xbox and PS4 users to play with each other.  Assuming there isn't an inconvenient hardware limitation.

Sammael85 #18 Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 26178 battles
  • [FAC]

View PostJatemKaa, on 04 October 2019 - 07:08 PM, said:

While I agree with how it looks bad about the previous mistake with the PS4 not being allowed to used the data already in WG server, I do believe it would be in their advantage to crossplay at this point to try to revive the dwindling server populations. But you might be right, the almighty dollar speaks louder to WG so it is not past them to refuse to do it because they might lose a few sales. Like you, I hope they prove me wrong.

That would only depends on how profitable it's for WG to keep the servers open considering that there's a certain number of people who actually plays this as this was a proper F2P most of the time. Including myself most of the time (just gave WG not much more than what a retail game with DLC costs)

View Postx_BAlN_x, on 04 October 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

Only if there was cross save. Which there won't be. And anyone switching platforms now without cross play would be crazy. With cross play the games life gets extended and makes switching platforms somewhat viable.

Thing is, 360 and One HAVE cross save. If PS4 isn't included in the deal, as the data is stored on WG servers without need for Sony nor Microsoft intervention, that would make a HUGE number of potential players (like pretty much all the masses who bought the 360 by popularity and now they are doing the same with the PS4) not quite happy.

View PostTocFanKe4, on 04 October 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

They don't lose any money if there is cross play.  You don't get to keep your 360 garage if you play on PS4 with crossplay.  You still have to start over.  All it means is that people on Xbox will be in the same battle queue with people on PS4.  That's it.  I have a PS4 garage and a Xbox 1 garage.  If I log into my PS4 account with cross play, I'm not going to have access to my Xbox tanks. 

You already have both systems so obviously you won't lose any garage in case anything happens. But trust me there would be people expecting to have an option to trespass their grinding progress at least. Any rational consumer (a rare species on gaming nowadays, as WG and pretty much any development team already knows) would consider that.

View PostFBPrime, on 04 October 2019 - 09:07 PM, said:

I see this assessment as holding true, but I dont see why they cant allow Xbox and PS4 users to play with each other.  Assuming there isn't an inconvenient hardware limitation.

If 360 and One has already no problems, i won't see any technical problem on 360 and PS4 as pretty much the game is the same (except maybe some filters over textures that actually makes things a bit bright, typical stuff on multiplatform games)

TocFanKe4 #19 Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:27 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21278 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostSammael85, on 04 October 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

That would only depends on how profitable it's for WG to keep the servers open considering that there's a certain number of people who actually plays this as this was a proper F2P most of the time. Including myself most of the time (just gave WG not much more than what a retail game with DLC costs)

Thing is, 360 and One HAVE cross save. If PS4 isn't included in the deal, as the data is stored on WG servers without need for Sony nor Microsoft intervention, that would make a HUGE number of potential players (like pretty much all the masses who bought the 360 by popularity and now they are doing the same with the PS4) not quite happy.

You already have both systems so obviously you won't lose any garage in case anything happens. But trust me there would be people expecting to have an option to trespass their grinding progress at least. Any rational consumer (a rare species on gaming nowadays, as WG and pretty much any development team already knows) would consider that.

If 360 and One has already no problems, i won't see any technical problem on 360 and PS4 as pretty much the game is the same (except maybe some filters over textures that actually makes things a bit bright, typical stuff on multiplatform games)

There's zero chance your garage will transfer across platforms.  It's the same reason you can't gift tanks from xbox to ps4 and vice versa.  Tanks bought on a 360 gave money to Microsoft.  Using them on a PS4 means that Sony got nothing for that purchase.  There's no way that'd happen. 

Cross platform just means everyone gets put into the same game queue.  That's it. 

Sammael85 #20 Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:16 AM

Major

• Players
  • 26178 battles
  • [FAC]

View PostTocFanKe4, on 04 October 2019 - 11:27 PM, said:

There's zero chance your garage will transfer across platforms.  It's the same reason you can't gift tanks from xbox to ps4 and vice versa.  Tanks bought on a 360 gave money to Microsoft.  Using them on a PS4 means that Sony got nothing for that purchase.  There's no way that'd happen. 

Cross platform just means everyone gets put into the same game queue.  That's it. 

Last line was completely unnecesary as, in the basics, is what it is. And i think pretty much here know how it works. ;)

However, that first part is interesting as it's something to consider into equation: the part of the earnings that the platform owners percieve. Depending on how much it is could be circunvented somehow, like with a fee for trespassing stuff (enough to keep Sony or Microsoft happy and get some extra earnings for WG). But we all know that any excuse could be made in order to keep players paying religiously, it's not like they're gonna stop doing it anyway...

Also tagged with Cross-play, Sony, Microsoft

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users