@Fusionstar

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

De4thSt4lker206 #1 Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:24 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11600 battles
  • [BEACH]

It is more sluggish than tanks with 200mm armor plates, has less armor than most mediums, Glass ammo rack, glass fuel tanks, and mediocre turret with a two story weakspot that a kranvang can abuse the hell out of.

it also has a gun that can lay waste to a battlefield, assuming it is fighting muppets who can't abuse the commanders hatch.

is a broken tank,  outclassed by mediums, and outraced by far more armored tanks

I should never have let myself run it again. my only good game so far is when i farmed 4.5K off of three red chieftains. laughably my damage standing jumped from 66% to 73% when it updated after my first game of 900 or so damage.

Edited by De4thSt4lker206, 10 October 2019 - 01:26 AM.

"when the truth, finally dawns, it dawns in fire".

T34-3 master race

SuperSherman44 #2 Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:29 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21300 battles

View PostDe4thSt4lker206, on 09 October 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

It is more sluggish than tanks with 200mm armor plates, has less armor than most mediums, Glass ammo rack, glass fuel tanks, and mediocre turret with a two story weakspot that a kranvang can abuse the hell out of.

it also has a gun that can lay waste to a battlefield, assuming it is fighting muppets who can't abuse the commanders hatch.

is a broken tank,  outclassed by mediums, and outraced by far more armored tanks

I should never have let myself run it again. my only good game so far is when i farmed 4.5K off of three red chieftains. laughably my damage standing jumped from 66% to 73% when it updated after my first game of 900 or so damage.

Never played it but fighting it in T110E5 etc. tells me it's not very good...........

I Heart The Sherman (Best tank of WWII)

I got a new Xbox One S so I'm really excited!

R.I.P. Xbox 360 E ~2014-2019

De4thSt4lker206 #3 Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:34 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11600 battles
  • [BEACH]

View PostSuperSherman44, on 09 October 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

Never played it but fighting it in T110E5 etc. tells me it's not very good...........

people say it is a hull down tank. [edited]. the hatch is large and paper, rendering the rest of the turret useless.  the hull has no armor to use, and it lacks the mobility to avoid taking hits.

it cannot contest any russian heavy's turret, nor the kranvang, nor the E5. nor the  Newish french heavy.

and it has the worst hull armor, worse than the 50B, which is infinitely faster. 

Edited by De4thSt4lker206, 10 October 2019 - 01:36 AM.

T34-3 master race

Perfect Dark 51 #4 Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:37 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21376 battles

View PostDe4thSt4lker206, on 09 October 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

people say it is a hull down tank. [edited]. the hatch is large and paper, rendering the rest of the turret useless.  the hull has no armor to use, and it lacks the mobility to avoid taking hits.

it cannot contest any russian heavy's turret, nor the kranvang, nor the E5. nor the  Newish french heavy.

and it has the worst hull armor, worse than the 50B, which is infinitely faster. 

The gun seems to bounce a lot, I don't know if it gets normal normalization or APCR normalization, but I do know the S. Conq is way better. 

Edited by Perfect Dark 51, 10 October 2019 - 01:38 AM.

De4thSt4lker206 #5 Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:51 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11600 battles
  • [BEACH]

View PostPerfect Dark 51, on 09 October 2019 - 07:37 PM, said:

The gun seems to bounce a lot, I don't know if it gets normal normalization or APCR normalization, but I do know the S. Conq is way better. 

indeed. it is the most troll gun i have ever used, eternally aimed, but never actually doing damage when it should.. and i have the highest hitrate of just about any of my tanks in it i think too at >80%.

T34-3 master race

FusionStar287 #6 Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:00 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20395 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostDe4thSt4lker206, on 09 October 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

I normally don't pay attention to them, but for some reason I really like your tag on this thread. :P

As for the Chieftain, I don't really disagree with much of what you said. It is more sluggish than some more heavily armored tanks, there are some mediums with better armor (although I certainly wouldn't say "most" mediums), it has a pretty major issue with having its ammorack damaged and with being lit on fire through its hull, its gun is truly phenomenal, and its cupola is a rather large and impossible to fully hide weak point. I even agree that it is at least mostly outclassed by some other tanks, most notably the M48 Patton.

That all said, I still love it more than most other tier X tanks. Despite its many issues it still has what is easily the best gun on any heavy or even any medium tank, its turret armor is still very strong provided the enemy don't hit the cupola (which, despite its size, is still not a very easy to hit target when you're moving and wiggling between shots and/or using the extent of your gun depression), and while it may be sluggish it's still faster downhill and along the flat (provided you allow it time to accelerate) than many other heavy tanks. Add on the fact that its upper plate bounces a surprising amount of shells and you have a heavy that can work way better than you would think, and when played well many of its weaknesses can be minimized to the point of not even being an issue (especially when you consider how many bad-mediocre players exist on the red teams as well). In fact, the last time I took the Chieftain out a couple weeks ago or so I ended up easily dealing more than 7.5k damage, and most of that game was spent fighting enemies without being hull down (I even dueled an E50M to death who only managed to pen me once before going down).

Summarized in a short sentence, the Chieftain may have many weaknesses but is still capable of some amazing games when played well due to its incredible strengths. 

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

De4thSt4lker206 #7 Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:20 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11600 battles
  • [BEACH]

View PostFusionStar287, on 09 October 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

I normally don't pay attention to them, but for some reason I really like your tag on this thread. :P

As for the Chieftain, I don't really disagree with much of what you said. It is more sluggish than some more heavily armored tanks, there are some mediums with better armor (although I certainly wouldn't say "most" mediums), it has a pretty major issue with having its ammorack damaged and with being lit on fire through its hull, its gun is truly phenomenal, and its cupola is a rather large and impossible to fully hide weak point. I even agree that it is at least mostly outclassed by some other tanks, most notably the M48 Patton.

That all said, I still love it more than most other tier X tanks. Despite its many issues it still has what is easily the best gun on any heavy or even any medium tank, its turret armor is still very strong provided the enemy don't hit the cupola (which, despite its size, is still not a very easy to hit target when you're moving and wiggling between shots and/or using the extent of your gun depression), and while it may be sluggish it's still faster downhill and along the flat (provided you allow it time to accelerate) than many other heavy tanks. Add on the fact that its upper plate bounces a surprising amount of shells and you have a heavy that can work way better than you would think, and when played well many of its weaknesses can be minimized to the point of not even being an issue (especially when you consider how many bad-mediocre players exist on the red teams as well). In fact, the last time I took the Chieftain out a couple weeks ago or so I ended up easily dealing more than 7.5k damage, and most of that game was spent fighting enemies without being hull down (I even dueled an E50M to death who only managed to pen me once before going down).

Summarized in a short sentence, the Chieftain may have many weaknesses but is still capable of some amazing games when played well due to its incredible strengths. 

Glad you liked it :trollface:

It has one strength. one.  the only reason i am running it in fact, I need 2 high calibers for the actual Chieftain (sharpshooter)

somehow, being unable to contest a hull down russian heavy that proceeded to hit me for 700, and again when i tried to bail and get better cover because the tank is too slow, setting me on fire and leading to me burning down....

Getting smacked in the cupola on back to back shots from an actual hull down heavy (kranvang)...

getting steamrolled by a 60TP that essentially two shotted what health i had left immediately after I bailed on that match up...

missing the broadside of a Durp Waffle E-100's turret.... (to be fair i did then plant 2 other HESH shells in him as well as the back of a "Machine" for 1500 of my 2500 damage)...

failing to pen another  (this time distracted by circle strafing mediums that survived the engagement I might add) 60 TP's lower plate the very next match with premium APCR before getting blown to bits by an arty because i had the temerity to aim (after the 60 TP had previously damaged my engine because, again, too slow to be aggressive and incapable of contesting a true hull down heavy)...

and having a CAX proceed to pen my hull down turret face with Heat 3 times in a row forcing me to bail on another lopsided engagement (only got away because a trio of lights jumped out of the bushes at him and the other 2 reds there)

May have put me in a less than optimal mood. on the bright side i have collected another 2 sniper medals so... yay?

oh, i forgot to mention getting ammo racked... twice in the same game.... with safe stowage. granted that was my actual best match because i farmed a trio of other, slightly less good, Chieftains.

Edited by De4thSt4lker206, 10 October 2019 - 02:22 AM.

T34-3 master race

MiikwanXxXiis #8 Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:24 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22130 battles
If youre letting your enemies aim for your cupola, youre playing it wrong.

Sounds to me like you get caught out of position with it. It is not forgiving if you make mistakes but played well it is one of the most competitive tanks in the game.

Ranked battles #9 Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:28 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25470 battles
  • [CRPT]
Try playing the FV215B you get set on fire almost every game it's just stupid.

De4thSt4lker206 #10 Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:30 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11600 battles
  • [BEACH]

View PostMiikwanXxXiis, on 09 October 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

If youre letting your enemies aim for your cupola, youre playing it wrong.

Sounds to me like you get caught out of position with it. It is not forgiving if you make mistakes but played well it is one of the most competitive tanks in the game.

there is no position for it that another tank isn't better at. the cupola is easy to hit. larger and weaker than the soft spot of the T110E5s, and more center lined so you can't shake the turret very well, nor is it hard enough to get a bounce if it isn't hit square like the E5's, nor is it a turret that is ideal for the shake either.

Edited by De4thSt4lker206, 10 October 2019 - 02:31 AM.

T34-3 master race

De4thSt4lker206 #11 Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:31 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11600 battles
  • [BEACH]

View PostRanked battles, on 09 October 2019 - 08:28 PM, said:

Try playing the FV215B you get set on fire almost every game it's just stupid.

yeah, i did try that once. never again.

T34-3 master race

MrTrollPacMan #12 Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:31 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18420 battles
Get a good chieftain player on a hill and the other team is gonna have a bad time

It’s capable in its niche, you just gotta be aware it’s a niche tank. If you try to brawl an E-100 at point blank range you’ll probably have a bad time in it

De4thSt4lker206 #13 Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:34 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11600 battles
  • [BEACH]

View PostMrTrollPacMan, on 09 October 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

Get a good chieftain player on a hill and the other team is gonna have a bad time

It’s capable in its niche, you just gotta be aware it’s a niche tank. If you try to brawl an E-100 at point blank range you’ll probably have a bad time in it

well, i never would have guessed.  the problem is other tanks are even better in it's niche, and it is worse at just about everything else too. 

the only thing it is good for is mowing down idiots.

T34-3 master race

MiikwanXxXiis #14 Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:42 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22130 battles

View PostDe4thSt4lker206, on 10 October 2019 - 02:30 AM, said:

there is no position for it that another tank isn't better at. the cupola is easy to hit. larger and weaker than the soft spot of the T110E5s, and more center lined so you can't shake the turret very well, nor is it hard enough to get a bounce if it isn't hit square like the E5's, nor is it a turret that is ideal for the shake either.

It certainly can shake its turret better than an e5. That things side armour is cheese. And e5 cupola is like atleast 4x larger so idk what youre talking about there. Itll bounce a lucky ap shell but people will snipe the e5 cupola from accross the map with prem rounds.

The way i play the chieftain is to work ridgelines unless faced by something russian or a kragnvagn for example. A super conqueror can fill this particular roll better but the chief can flex a round the map if need be whereas you have to commit the conq to where you take it.

De4thSt4lker206 #15 Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:44 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11600 battles
  • [BEACH]

View PostMiikwanXxXiis, on 09 October 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

It certainly can shake its turret better than an e5. That things side armour is cheese. And e5 cupola is like atleast 4x larger so idk what youre talking about there. Itll bounce a lucky ap shell but people will snipe the e5 cupola from accross the map with prem rounds.

The way i play the chieftain is to work ridgelines unless faced by something russian or a kragnvagn for example. A super conqueror can fill this particular roll better but the chief can flex a round the map if need be whereas you have to commit the conq to where you take it.

The Conq is better when it gets there, and the Chief is just fast enough to arrive too late wherever it needs to be. the E5's cuppola is way better in terms of armor. it is a small bar at the center that is vulnerable, the rest is impenetrable. the chief's cupola is straight glass, and on the subject of gold, heat butters the Chiefs entire turret front..

T34-3 master race

MiikwanXxXiis #16 Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:52 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22130 battles

View PostDe4thSt4lker206, on 10 October 2019 - 02:44 AM, said:

The Conq is better when it gets there, and the Chief is just fast enough to arrive too late wherever it needs to be. the E5's cuppola is way better in terms of armor. it is a small bar at the center that is vulnerable, the rest is impenetrable. the chief's cupola is straight glass, and on the subject of gold, heat butters the Chiefs entire turret front..

If you arrive too late thats on you for not predicting the battle not a fault of the tank.

Most of the chieftains turret will stand up to heat rounds as long as you dont give your enemies the chance to aim for weakpoints they will have to get lucky with any snapshots.

The small bar on the e5 is susceptible to standard rounds but the rest of the cupola is vulnerable to anyone willing to pay the credits.

De4thSt4lker206 #17 Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:02 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11600 battles
  • [BEACH]

View PostMiikwanXxXiis, on 09 October 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

If you arrive too late thats on you for not predicting the battle not a fault of the tank.

Most of the chieftains turret will stand up to heat rounds as long as you dont give your enemies the chance to aim for weakpoints they will have to get lucky with any snapshots.

The small bar on the e5 is susceptible to standard rounds but the rest of the cupola is vulnerable to anyone willing to pay the credits.

the entire nose and gun mantle are vulnerable to heat, the sloped right side as well. I know, because i just had an AX spam it at me. I would rather have a Centurion turret. in fact, i decidedly enjoyed playing my 3 tier 10 battles in my 7/1 today far more, because it has the mobility to actually relocate and respond to threats as they develop, rather than needing to be useless laying in ambush for about 2 minutes first.

I would need precognition to react in time (that is to say, go to the right spot at the start of the battle rather than relocating, that is to say, it is not capable of relocating any better than a heavy that would do infinity better in a much larger variety of scenarios)

you are right, The E5's cupola is much stronger than the Chieftains, as well as about the same size (the E5's is taller and has a smaller vulnerable area, the Chieftain's is shorter (still double-decker sized), but far wider and paper the whole way round.

T34-3 master race

Putinondafoil #18 Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:07 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 72760 battles
  • [SNAFU]

View PostDe4thSt4lker206, on 09 October 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

well, i never would have guessed.  the problem is other tanks are even better in it's niche, and it is worse at just about everything else too. 

$the only thing it is good for is mowing down idiots.$$$ 100% uni fav tank

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other. See which fills up first. :playing:

De4thSt4lker206 #19 Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:11 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11600 battles
  • [BEACH]
just had a Jagdpanzer put one through my turret front, followed by Heat from a Kranvang (all three of my "high accuracy" rounds missed his entire front.), before getting knocked off by a batchat Arty penning me for 700.... fun times.

Edited by De4thSt4lker206, 10 October 2019 - 03:12 AM.

T34-3 master race

De4thSt4lker206 #20 Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:23 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11600 battles
  • [BEACH]

Oneshot by a T92 the moment i start to have a good game. GG well clicked.

Oh, and the IS-7 is more mobile than the Chieftain.  (previous game, not what would have been a good game)

2aeadf50 0704 45ce ac8c 129d8f5b7434

Edited by De4thSt4lker206, 10 October 2019 - 03:24 AM.

T34-3 master race

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users