Simple suggestion for Driver controller set up

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

GHOSTpb #1 Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:31 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 40553 battles
  • [NFTG]
I use the driver controller configuration and it's hard to use turret lock. As of now it's located on the left stick that is for steering. The left stick, if tapped also is your auto lock button. This means you have to hold in the stick while driving at the same time to use turret lock. Down on the D pad is currently for lock hull/siege mode. Couldn't it also be the turret lock button? (Turret lock for tanks with turrets, hull lock for turret less tanks, and siege mode for the swedish tds.) Thanks for taking a look. 

Never underestimate your teams ability to lose.

Ghostpb.   ( NFTG )

Bibo1GerUk #2 Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:03 AM

Major

• Players
  • 27778 battles

Try a different set-up?

I prefer "Handbrake D-pad Cruise control" where the left stick is driving only. No accidental depressing it possible.

Hull lock is D-pad left. Turret lock is right bumper.

I just had a look at your setup. I have no idea how one can play like that ;)

Remember, it's just a game!

My little Youtube channel aka YeOldeGamer: https://www.youtube....xVCaFCLg/videos

Haukkis #3 Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:25 AM

Major

• Players
  • 34230 battles

View PostBibo1GerUk, on 21 October 2019 - 01:03 AM, said:

Try a different set-up?

I prefer "Handbrake D-pad Cruise control" where the left stick is driving only. No accidental depressing it possible.

Hull lock is D-pad left. Turret lock is right bumper.

I just had a look at your setup. I have no idea how one can play like that ;)

No problems, Driver controls work just fine. I played my first few hundred games with Default setting, then changed into Driver controls which work much better for me. Controlling you tank is more precise with Driver controls and using handbrake is much easier. 

GHOSTpb #4 Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:04 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 40553 battles
  • [NFTG]

It's not that driver doesn't work, but that this would make it flow better

Ghostpb.   ( NFTG )

GHOSTpb #5 Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:06 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 40553 battles
  • [NFTG]
I have about 40,000 battles in driver. This is my only issue with it.

Ghostpb.   ( NFTG )

TransparentBlue #6 Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:05 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 13414 battles
Xbox or PS4? On Xbox, you can create a custom controller profile in the hardware settings and use it when you play WoT.

It's what I do in order to have the handbrake on the LB and the radial command wheel (that I don't use) on the d-pad down. I also swap left stick click with d-pad up so I can't accidentally engage cruise control. Works great that way.

Slightly less convenient in the garage, though, because switching tabs right is RB and switching tabs left is d-pad down. But there's nothing critical going on in the garage, and you can get used to it quickly.

I'll do a full custom layout later to put separate forward and reverse cruise on the d-pad, but don't feel like bothering yet.

GHOSTpb #7 Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:45 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 40553 battles
  • [NFTG]
Xbox. I don't think you can in the way I'm asking for because the buttons have multiple functions and I'm asking if only part of that can be moved. I this case it's not as simple as (in on the left stick now becomes down D pad). I'm asking for ( in on left stick keeps auto lock but the turret lock is removed, then added to down on D pad which already has hull lock and siege mode)

Ghostpb.   ( NFTG )

TransparentBlue #8 Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:48 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 13414 battles

View PostGHOSTpb, on 22 October 2019 - 04:45 AM, said:

Xbox. I don't think you can in the way I'm asking for because the buttons have multiple functions and I'm asking if only part of that can be moved. I this case it's not as simple as (in on the left stick now becomes down D pad). I'm asking for ( in on left stick keeps auto lock but the turret lock is removed, then added to down on D pad which already has hull lock and siege mode)

No, you can't switch half the functions of a button.  But you can find the control scheme closest to what you want and modify that with a custom controller profile.

GHOSTpb #9 Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:54 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 40553 battles
  • [NFTG]
Driver for me is by far the best. I like the triggers for forward and reverse. They could even just add turret lock on the down  D pad button and not even remove it from the stick in case somebody likes it that way. 

Ghostpb.   ( NFTG )

Haukkis #10 Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:48 AM

Major

• Players
  • 34230 battles

View PostGHOSTpb, on 22 October 2019 - 05:54 AM, said:

Driver for me is by far the best. I like the triggers for forward and reverse. They could even just add turret lock on the down  D pad button and not even remove it from the stick in case somebody likes it that way. 

I feel current setup is better than what you suggest. If it were on D pad down you couldn't steer your tank because you had to hold down D pad down, now you can steer your tank while keeping left stick L3 pressed down and keep your turret facing desired direction and turning camera at the same time although it's bit tricky.

GHOSTpb #11 Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:01 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 40553 battles
  • [NFTG]

View PostHaukkis, on 22 October 2019 - 02:48 AM, said:

I feel current setup is better than what you suggest. If it were on D pad down you couldn't steer your tank because you had to hold down D pad down, now you can steer your tank while keeping left stick L3 pressed down and keep your turret facing desired direction and turning camera at the same time although it's bit tricky.

Why would you have to hold the button? Tap to lock and tap to unlock.

Ghostpb.   ( NFTG )

Haukkis #12 Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:09 AM

Major

• Players
  • 34230 battles

View PostGHOSTpb, on 23 October 2019 - 03:01 AM, said:

Why would you have to hold the button? Tap to lock and tap to unlock.

For example, if I want to drive forward while pointing my turret to right and still look forward in a situation when there is not enemies in sight so you can't use auto-lock. 

Edited by Haukkis, 23 October 2019 - 10:58 AM.

GHOSTpb #13 Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:46 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 40553 battles
  • [NFTG]

View PostHaukkis, on 23 October 2019 - 05:09 AM, said:

For example, if I want to drive forward while pointing my turret to right and still look forward in a situation when there is not enemies in sight so you can't use auto-lock. 

As of now in driver you have to hold in the left stick the entire time for turret lock to be active. Down on the D pad does nothing if you have a turreted tank. If they made this change you could just look the direction you want, tap down on the D pad and the turret would stay in place. To unlock, just tap down on the D pad again, auto lock something or change to the sniper view. Really WG could just leave the configuration as it is and add tap down on the D pad for turret lock. It has no function as of now if you are driving a turreted tank. That way no one is effected in a bad way by adding this. 

Ghostpb.   ( NFTG )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users