How I Learned to Communicate in WoT

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

DoverCook #1 Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:05 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 557 battles

I learned to communicate in WoT from the bots.

When I played my first multiplayer match, I noticed the stream of quick chat messages on the bottom of my HUD. I had read about bots appearing in low Tier matches, yet it didn't register with me. Someone told me that players with names like "Adebra" were bots.

When I see the alert "Spotted Target Hit", I send a "Good Shot!" just like a bot.

When someone signals an attention sector and I recognize it as a strategic location , I send "On my way" and move there.W

What have been your experiences with the radial menu?

"Virtuous and vicious

every man must be, -

Few in the extreme, but all in degree" - Alexander Pope

F1DrivingZombie #2 Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:14 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11454 battles
  • [UNKWN]

My experiences?

People don’t care. They don’t pay attention to those quick chat messages or if they do, they don’t action. People won’t respond to requests, won’t say thanks if people help them or sorry if they get in someone’s way. People are too selfish to pay attention in the game, so despite me using it in nearly every battle I play, it almost never helps.

Sammael85 #3 Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 25307 battles
  • [FAC]

My experiences with the Radial Menu of Death have been always atrocious. Sometimes i want to send a message just to see how something else is sent or else makes me crash into people and stuff regardless of having Cruise Control abled or not. That without talking about the unconvenient track repairing when having more critical modules...

It's not like some other games like Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and Gran Turismo have shown proper menus to select options in less than a couple seconds without losing control at all on a vehicle moving WAY faster than a tank while heading into boxes. Yet WG C-B knows better and keeps their stupid system touching this and that without actually fixing nothing.

Some might say i'm not constructive enough... Too bad i'm actually a deconstructivist

Si eres español/hispano y te sientes aislado por WG, no estás solo: Hay un Batallón Exiliado dispuesto a ayudarte

Hear me ROAR!!!

DoverCook #4 Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:53 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 557 battles

@F1DrivingZombie: I do try to pay attention, but I sometimes miss messages during a hot exchange of fire. I try to respond to requests even if it's "No shot" tons request for fire.

I was really excited when I how to say "Thank you". It did it at the end of a match when another player and I were able to team up and help earn a Victory.

I do say "Sorry" when I get in someone's way.

At least you are making the effort to use it. I feel that is important.

"Virtuous and vicious

every man must be, -

F1DrivingZombie #5 Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:22 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11454 battles
  • [UNKWN]

View PostDoverCook, on 07 November 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

@F1DrivingZombie: I do try to pay attention, but I sometimes miss messages during a hot exchange of fire. I try to respond to requests even if it's "No shot" tons request for fire.

I was really excited when I how to say "Thank you". It did it at the end of a match when another player and I were able to team up and help earn a Victory.

I do say "Sorry" when I get in someone's way.

At least you are making the effort to use it. I feel that is important.

the issue is that people that actually use it are way too few and far between the more you play the game. I have maybe 1 teammate a battle that uses it to actually help rather than just essentially rage and say good game well before it’s over, or just ping the map over and over once they’re dead

DoverCook #6 Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:32 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 557 battles

View PostSammael85, on 07 November 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

My experiences with the Radial Menu of Death have been always atrocious. Sometimes i want to send a message just to see how something else is sent or else makes me crash into people and stuff regardless of having Cruise Control abled or not. That without talking about the unconvenient track repairing when having more critical modules...

It's not like some other games like Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and Gran Turismo have shown proper menus to select options in less than a couple seconds without losing control at all on a vehicle moving WAY faster than a tank while heading into boxes. Yet WG C-B knows better and keeps their stupid system touching this and that without actually fixing nothing.

I have accidentally repaired my tracks at least once, too.

The mistake I have repeated is telling someone to follow me when I try to mark a target for a fire request.

I sometimes practice on the Proving Grounds to remember where the commands are in the menus.

"Virtuous and vicious

every man must be, -

DoverCook #7 Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:28 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 557 battles

View PostF1DrivingZombie, on 07 November 2019 - 03:22 PM, said:

the issue is that people that actually use it are way too few and far between the more you play the game. I have maybe 1 teammate a battle that uses it to actually help rather than just essentially rage and say good game well before it’s over, or just ping the map over and over once they’re dead

I have felt discouraged about how little people use quick chat, too.

From my experience when I use quick chat to tell others what I am doing, they use it too. The Victories I have contributed to often had players communicating and coordinating. When I have been off my game and haven't used quick chat, others have not used it and that lead to a Defeat.

From my point of view, other players' misbehavior is *their* problem. I have my own answer to that.

"Virtuous and vicious

every man must be, -

phimo83 #8 Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:40 AM

Corporal

• Supertest - PS4
  • 30428 battles
  • [REDIT]

View PostDoverCook, on 07 November 2019 - 09:05 PM, said:

I learned to communicate in WoT from the bots.

When I played my first multiplayer match, I noticed the stream of quick chat messages on the bottom of my HUD. I had read about bots appearing in low Tier matches, yet it didn't register with me. Someone told me that players with names like "Adebra" were bots.

When I see the alert "Spotted Target Hit", I send a "Good Shot!" just like a bot.

When someone signals an attention sector and I recognize it as a strategic location , I send "On my way" and move there.W

What have been your experiences with the radial menu?

you don't really need it in low tiers, if you have any chance that someone reacts to you  it's from tier 6 and above. you don't need the thanks, great shot, enemy located [edited].

stop, full back, follow me & SOS if you need help or if someone is going for a trap and you know that something nasty is waiting for him around a corner. reloading if your driving an auto-loader to inform your teammate that you won't be able to support him since the reload time is long and you'll let him know how much time you sill have to finish your reload. pinging the map to highlight any area on the map

on my way, affirmative if someone is asking for help or pingging a position on the map 

DoverCook #9 Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:18 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 557 battles

View Postphimo83, on 07 November 2019 - 07:40 PM, said:

you don't really need it in low tiers, if you have any chance that someone reacts to you  it's from tier 6 and above. you don't need the thanks, great shot, enemy located [edited].

stop, full back, follow me & SOS if you need help or if someone is going for a trap and you know that something nasty is waiting for him around a corner. reloading if your driving an auto-loader to inform your teammate that you won't be able to support him since the reload time is long and you'll let him know how much time you sill have to finish your reload. pinging the map to highlight any area on the map

on my way, affirmative if someone is asking for help or pingging a position on the map 

Good advice.

I will limit the use of "reloading" to auto-loaders from now on.

"Virtuous and vicious

every man must be, -

dzhey43 #10 Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:05 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 29523 battles
  • [3EBC]

The most often used is reloading for me. Stop or turn back. Mostly nobody cares, sometimes do. Communication helps at tough end fights of course. 

As a joke I like to pop Awesome at start like we are going to win guys)

Spoiler

DoverCook #11 Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:46 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 557 battles

View Postdzhey43, on 08 November 2019 - 12:05 AM, said:

The most often used is reloading for me. Stop or turn back. Mostly nobody cares, sometimes do. Communication helps at tough end fights of course. 

As a joke I like to pop Awesome at start like we are going to win guys)

I see. I have been using "Falling back" when I retreat against bad odds.

"Virtuous and vicious

every man must be, -

phimo83 #12 Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:42 PM

Corporal

• Supertest - PS4
  • 30428 battles
  • [REDIT]

View PostDoverCook, on 08 November 2019 - 03:18 AM, said:

Good advice.

I will limit the use of "reloading" to auto-loaders from now on.

also for tanks with long reloads also in high tiers like the durp guns or arties with like something with a 24 sec reload

Highlordwurm #13 Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:49 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17636 battles
I find the less you use them, the more effective they are.  I do tend to ignore a lot of the communication (and regret listening a lot when I do :D), especially if someone is going happy with it, like, requesting fire on every red as it appears, or spamming 'help' as soon as they are shot.  When I request fire it is because a tank is vulnerable (tracked, out in the open) or particularly threatening to the flank(aggressively pushing or in a devastating sniper position).  When I call for help it is because the flank is in danger, not just my tank.  Most people, most of the time ignore communications, but, I still think they are worth it.  Occasionally, it will draw attention to something that other players may agree needs dealing with, and once in a blue moon, you connect with another player and coordinate a victory you really should have lost.  Those moments are worth all the extra 'noise' the radial wheel can create with bad players spamming.

Highlordwurm #14 Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:55 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17636 battles
I swear, if you use it, other people will too.  If you want to see more people use it, use it responsibly.  Every battle is a chance to teach someone how effective communication can be by using it to win the battle, or at least save one player's life.  We're all shy, be the first to speak up, and don't be discouraged when that salty old grump tells you to shut up (might be me:teethhappy:)  If it is working, people will notice and start doing it themselves.

DoverCook #15 Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:39 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 557 battles

View Postphimo83, on 08 November 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

also for tanks with long reloads also in high tiers like the durp guns or arties with like something with a 24 sec reload

I have seen "reloading" from active artillery players in some battles, as well as replays I have watched.

"Virtuous and vicious

every man must be, -

LufberyDrew #16 Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:24 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 474 battles
I'm just not very good at bringing up the radial menu and choosing the right message in time. I do try, though.

DoverCook #17 Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:59 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 557 battles

View PostHighlordwurm, on 08 November 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

I find the less you use them, the more effective they are.  I do tend to ignore a lot of the communication (and regret listening a lot when I do :D), especially if someone is going happy with it, like, requesting fire on every red as it appears, or spamming 'help' as soon as they are shot.  When I request fire it is because a tank is vulnerable (tracked, out in the open) or particularly threatening to the flank(aggressively pushing or in a devastating sniper position).  When I call for help it is because the flank is in danger, not just my tank.  Most people, most of the time ignore communications, but, I still think they are worth it.  Occasionally, it will draw attention to something that other players may agree needs dealing with, and once in a blue moon, you connect with another player and coordinate a victory you really should have lost.  Those moments are worth all the extra 'noise' the radial wheel can create with bad players spamming.

I have been working out how often to use them. I have made mistakes in both directions. I have seen players spam messages at the start of battles, as if they were playing with the menu. I have been learning which targets have priority to call fire on. I think communicating is worth it, too. I have connected with players rarely and once *did* turn a potential defeat to victory. I followed a more-experienced player's lead.

View PostHighlordwurm, on 08 November 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

I swear, if you use it, other people will too.  If you want to see more people use it, use it responsibly.  Every battle is a chance to teach someone how effective communication can be by using it to win the battle, or at least save one player's life.  We're all shy, be the first to speak up, and don't be discouraged when that salty old grump tells you to shut up (might be me:teethhappy:)  If it is working, people will notice and start doing it themselves.

I have been figuring out how to use it responsibly. Your comments match my experience.

"Virtuous and vicious

every man must be, -

DoverCook #18 Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:00 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 557 battles

View PostLufberyDrew, on 08 November 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

I'm just not very good at bringing up the radial menu and choosing the right message in time. I do try, though.

Neither am I. I am glad to read that you try. I do, too.

"Virtuous and vicious

every man must be, -

JelliedPenny08 #19 Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:18 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15978 battles

View PostLufberyDrew, on 08 November 2019 - 07:24 PM, said:

View PostDoverCook, on 08 November 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

Neither am I. I am glad to read that you try. I do, too.

I use the radial commands sparingly. Too many people spam them, they are awkward to use and most of the time by the time someone has realised what you are trying to convey and reacted to it, it is often too late. They are very important to use though. 

I always use reloading in an autoloader or a KV-2. Greens need to know a dangerous gun is out of the fight and you may be vulnerable. I use map pings a lot to alert key enemy locations or that a flank is falling / has fallen. I assume this helps people on a compass minimap who may not see what I am talking about because it is off their radar, so at least they have a grid ref to check. I request fire on things I need shooting a fair bit, for whatever reason I want them shot. 

I use follow me and falling back rarely as it takes time when I would rather do other things. I never use thanks and only use great shot when bushed up and undetected in a light with nothing better to do. I use affirmative a fair bit and on my way when relocating or responding to assist. 

I virtually never use help and prefer to ping the map or request fire. If I use help I am normally pinned down and really need it. Help gets spammed far too often - I see it being like when people were taught to shout Fire! instead of Rape! because a fire gets people running. 

I practice radials in Proving Grounds and it does help. I have gotten better at it recently, but only the ones I need to use. However if I could customise one to say "Screw you Herbert Whitworth, you kill stealing muppet" then I would probably get really good with the menus quite quickly...

:)

Edited by JelliedPenny08, 09 November 2019 - 12:19 PM.

DoverCook #20 Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:51 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 557 battles

View PostJelliedPenny08, on 09 November 2019 - 07:18 AM, said:

I use the radial commands sparingly. Too many people spam them, they are awkward to use and most of the time by the time someone has realised what you are trying to convey and reacted to it, it is often too late. They are very important to use though. 

I always use reloading in an autoloader or a KV-2. Greens need to know a dangerous gun is out of the fight and you may be vulnerable. I use map pings a lot to alert key enemy locations or that a flank is falling / has fallen. I assume this helps people on a compass minimap who may not see what I am talking about because it is off their radar, so at least they have a grid ref to check. I request fire on things I need shooting a fair bit, for whatever reason I want them shot. 

I use follow me and falling back rarely as it takes time when I would rather do other things. I never use thanks and only use great shot when bushed up and undetected in a light with nothing better to do. I use affirmative a fair bit and on my way when relocating or responding to assist. 

I virtually never use help and prefer to ping the map or request fire. If I use help I am normally pinned down and really need it. Help gets spammed far too often - I see it being like when people were taught to shout Fire! instead of Rape! because a fire gets people running. 

I practice radials in Proving Grounds and it does help. I have gotten better at it recently, but only the ones I need to use. However if I could customise one to say "Screw you Herbert Whitworth, you kill stealing muppet" then I would probably get really good with the menus quite quickly...

:)

I cannot argue against the points in your first paragraph.

I have used "Help" once in 400 battles.  "Falling back" would have been more appropriate at the time. I have noticed people spamming "Help".

I practice radials on the Proving Grounds, too. The bots don't mind. I intend to figure out which ones I need to use, given your advice. My custom message would be, "I could never get the hang of Thursdays" . :)

"Virtuous and vicious

every man must be, -

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users