Jump to content


So the AFKers have found a new tactic


  • Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

ElCrazyMexDeuce #41 Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:19 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 26453 battles
  • 2,963
  • Member since:
    08-11-2013

I have seen several AFK players in the past week. This is a very slippery slope you are asking for. ALOT of things happen that causes a player to not play the game. It could be connection issues as some have said, or, it could be real world issues that come into play. For example, tonight, while playing WoT's and working on the chisel contract, there came a knock on my door.

 

Now NO ONE ever knocks on my door late at night. so I wen to the door and its my next door neighbor, upset because of a family emergency and needs to use my cell phone since hers is locked in the car and she doesn't have the key.

 

Guess what takes priority in this case?

 

NOT the game I can assure you. So now I fall under the AFK description because halfway through the game, I stopped playing. Should I be penalized for this?

 

No matter to me....just always remember.....be careful what you ask for...



GALAXIE4291966 #42 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:27 AM

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 22996 battles
  • 48
  • Member since:
    05-14-2016

Disconnected from XBOX Live. This is the message I have been getting way to much this past week. Tuesday night out of about a dozen games I was kicked out of 9-10 of them, some twice if I was able to log back in in time. A few weeks ago I helplessly watched my 110 back itself into the water and drown when I was having a real good game, very frustrating. A couple of nights ago loaded the Kaiju into a game, never got to que screen, was certainly AFK that game, at least my team won. A couple months ago I got over 4,000 dmg in Hollenhund because red team had about 5 or 6 tanks just sitting at spawn, I doubt they all did this on purpose in the same game. Could be likely that many of AFKers got disconnected like me. No way to know unless you ask the player post game.



Afro Palestine #43 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:33 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 56821 battles
  • 4,862
  • [HKC]
  • Member since:
    07-07-2014

View PostSWFC Ricardo, on 09 November 2019 - 02:43 AM, said:

Content Moderated by HeadlockMvnky

 

That actually looked like an accident, initially.

Edited by HeadlockMvnky, 10 November 2019 - 12:55 PM.


Tempest fox3 #44 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:40 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 20962 battles
  • 18,203
  • [JOCO]
  • Member since:
    08-22-2013

View PostElCrazyMexDeuce, on 09 November 2019 - 03:19 AM, said:

I have seen several AFK players in the past week. This is a very slippery slope you are asking for. ALOT of things happen that causes a player to not play the game. It could be connection issues as some have said, or, it could be real world issues that come into play. For example, tonight, while playing WoT's and working on the chisel contract, there came a knock on my door.

 

Now NO ONE ever knocks on my door late at night. so I wen to the door and its my next door neighbor, upset because of a family emergency and needs to use my cell phone since hers is locked in the car and she doesn't have the key.

 

Guess what takes priority in this case?

 

NOT the game I can assure you. So now I fall under the AFK description because halfway through the game, I stopped playing. Should I be penalized for this?

 

No matter to me....just always remember.....be careful what you ask for...

 

It is quite easy to tell the difference between network issues, one off problems and Deliberate exploitation of the system.

 

Unless your neighbor is interrupting every match you play you're safe. 


War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131 - In order obtained

 

Spoiler

VeNoMz x Maniac #45 Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 41674 battles
  • 162
  • Member since:
    07-17-2014

View PostJust An0maly, on 08 November 2019 - 11:43 AM, said:

 

Perhaps we could automate a penalty system -- if you suicide, you cannot enter a new battle for 15 minutes (the time for a full standard battle) after the completion of the battle you quit. 

This might discourage this sort of behavior.

 

good idea but what happens when its accidental? i don't think i should be penalized for hitting a bump wrong flipping my tank rolling over and being killed in such a manner..  and then being annoyed that something so stupid happened and then going back to the garage  just to find out "hey although it was accidental your being punished by not being able to be placed into a match for 15-20 minutes"    

VeNoMz x Maniac #46 Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:10 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 41674 battles
  • 162
  • Member since:
    07-17-2014

View PostTempest fox3, on 08 November 2019 - 11:40 PM, said:

 

It is quite easy to tell the difference between network issues, one off problems and Deliberate exploitation of the system.

 

Unless your neighbor is interrupting every match you play you're safe. 

 

well what about the ones that start to make their way onto battle and  unfortunately  they have to leave so sudden and the game gets turned off?  that tank is still running into battle even though they are not present..   because its happened to me on few occasions. be enjoying the game and suddenly i had to leave for some reason or another game gets turned off and the tank is still moving or just stops in the middle of the battle

Just An0maly #47 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:20 PM

    First lieutenant

  • WoTC Online Contributor
  • 30716 battles
  • 724
  • [IMTLZ]
  • Member since:
    08-13-2017

View PostElCrazyMexDeuce, on 08 November 2019 - 09:19 PM, said:

I have seen several AFK players in the past week. This is a very slippery slope you are asking for. ALOT of things happen that causes a player to not play the game. It could be connection issues as some have said, or, it could be real world issues that come into play. For example, tonight, while playing WoT's and working on the chisel contract, there came a knock on my door.

 

Now NO ONE ever knocks on my door late at night. so I wen to the door and its my next door neighbor, upset because of a family emergency and needs to use my cell phone since hers is locked in the car and she doesn't have the key.

 

Guess what takes priority in this case?

 

NOT the game I can assure you. So now I fall under the AFK description because halfway through the game, I stopped playing. Should I be penalized for this?

 

No matter to me....just always remember.....be careful what you ask for...

 

Yes, you should be penalized for this --  not because you are a bad guy, or shouldn't have helped your neighbor (good on you btw), but because the rules can't be written or enforced based on the occasional emergency.

And what are we talking about here really -- per my suggestion, you'd only be kept from entering a new battle queue for 15 minutes after the original battle you went AFK in ended.Not much of a penalty to you, but to the player who has systematized a method for failing up to tier ten, it cuts in half the number of battles they can do it per day and undermines their strategy.

In other words, this isn't about penalizing you as an individual as much as it is about protecting the integrity of the game for the other players who are focused and trying.

Edited by Just An0maly, 09 November 2019 - 04:29 PM.


Just An0maly #48 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

    First lieutenant

  • WoTC Online Contributor
  • 30716 battles
  • 724
  • [IMTLZ]
  • Member since:
    08-13-2017

View PostVeNoMz x Maniac, on 09 November 2019 - 08:05 AM, said:

 

good idea but what happens when its accidental? i don't think i should be penalized for hitting a bump wrong flipping my tank rolling over and being killed in such a manner..  and then being annoyed that something so stupid happened and then going back to the garage  just to find out "hey although it was accidental your being punished by not being able to be placed into a match for 15-20 minutes"    

 

I'm totally with you Venom, and think physics should be addressed as soon as possible. That said, and related to my last post on this thread -- the penalty isn't that big of a deal (a 15 minute time out essentially) for players who it happens to occasionally (yes, physics kills me just like it kills you) but is meant to undermine a strategy of AFK/Suiciding.

Tempest fox3 #49 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:42 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 20962 battles
  • 18,203
  • [JOCO]
  • Member since:
    08-22-2013

View PostVeNoMz x Maniac, on 09 November 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

 

well what about the ones that start to make their way onto battle and  unfortunately  they have to leave so sudden and the game gets turned off?  that tank is still running into battle even though they are not present..   because its happened to me on few occasions. be enjoying the game and suddenly i had to leave for some reason or another game gets turned off and the tank is still moving or just stops in the middle of the battle

 

Again, as long as you're not doing it every game there would be no problem. Life happens, I'm not arguing that anyone should be punished for prioritizing life over a video game. 

 

The problem people are those that deliberately do it every game. The person that misses out on a game every now and then wouldn't get punished. The person that does it every match should get punished. If you look at activity trends it would be easy to tell the difference between the former and latter. 

 

Please stop making 'what about X' arguments. Especially ones that I already covered.

 

The two people I had in my game that caused me to start this thread are people that are well known and have been doing it for years. I can't name names due to this forums rules. Originally they would start a match, quit back to garage and start a match in a different tank. WG put in measures to stop that. So now they find ways to circumvent this.

 

An incremental timeout would work. Suicide once, 5 min timeout. Suicide twice in the same day 20 min timeout. 3 times, an hour. 4 times 2 hours and so on. 

 

If you're busy answering the Door or whatever else interrupted your game. A short timeout for 1 suicide wouldn't affect you anyway. 


War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131 - In order obtained

 

Spoiler

CatSnipah #50 Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:54 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 26795 battles
  • 5,377
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    11-10-2013

Lots of proposals here to punish everyone for the poor behaviors of the few. Instead of legislating out the few (which isn’t necessarily easy in this case), you’d rather just screw over everyone. 

 

Yeah. Great idea. 



Just An0maly #51 Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:11 PM

    First lieutenant

  • WoTC Online Contributor
  • 30716 battles
  • 724
  • [IMTLZ]
  • Member since:
    08-13-2017

View PostCatSnipah, on 09 November 2019 - 11:54 AM, said:

Lots of proposals here to punish everyone for the poor behaviors of the few. Instead of legislating out the few (which isn’t necessarily easy in this case), you’d rather just screw over everyone. 

 

Yeah. Great idea. 

 

Help me out here Snipah -- how is this punishing everyone? (Maybe I missed a proposal, that you are mentioning specifically?)

I mean, the rule would be applied to all of us, and yes, sometimes life happens and you'd get timed out for 15 minutes. But, honestly, for the very occasional violation 15 minutes isn't much of a punishment; only for those who repeatedly and regularly do so.

Just curious if you think that is too onerous.

Tempest fox3 #52 Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:22 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 20962 battles
  • 18,203
  • [JOCO]
  • Member since:
    08-22-2013

View PostCatSnipah, on 09 November 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

Lots of proposals here to punish everyone for the poor behaviors of the few. Instead of legislating out the few (which isn’t necessarily easy in this case), you’d rather just screw over everyone. 

 

Yeah. Great idea. 

 

Screw who over exactly? Unless life is somehow getting in the way of every match nothing significant would happen to you.

 

Have you even read anything I've said so far?

 

I'll use another free to play game as an example. What i suggested earlier, suicide/quit early from a match you get a 10-15 min timeout where you can't queue. The more you do it within a set time frame, the longer the timeout gets. 

 

Paladins is a 5v5 hero shooter (similar to overwatch) if you quit a match, or get AFK booted from a match by the game you get a timeout where you can't requeue. It starts with a 10 min timeout. Do it a second time within a 24 hour timeframe and you get a 30min timeout, do it again within 24 hours of the second offense and you get a hour timeout and so on. In paladins if you afk too long or quit early from a match, a bot takes over your character for the match. Paladins (HiRez) takes it very seriously and so should wargaming. 

 

If life forces you to quit a match or you accidentally suicide once. Oh well, you get a short timeout. Minor inconvenience. Keep doing it over and over like some of these players do and you'll have a problem. How often would this affect you, once a week? Less?

 

If you have a better idea, please by all means tell us.


War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131 - In order obtained

 

Spoiler

JatemKaa #53 Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:29 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 62379 battles
  • 4,450
  • Member since:
    05-27-2014

View PostMiikwanXxXiis, on 07 November 2019 - 10:12 PM, said:

Nothing new. Ive seen players use rubber bands to beat the system too.

 

Yeah. Remember the time tanks would just go in circles endlessly....

JatemKaa #54 Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:33 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 62379 battles
  • 4,450
  • Member since:
    05-27-2014

View PostJohnLongS1lv3r, on 07 November 2019 - 10:24 PM, said:

I usually can say the outcome of a match just by seeing the setup, or watching potatoes in the first 30 seconds. You should have gotten out of that game with those 2 and dont waste your time.

 

Wow, you are doing good. Took me over four years to reach the stage where you could look at the setup and see the outcome . The first 30 seconds just confirms that  one way or the other - occasionally you would see something in that 30 secs that pointed contrary to the predicted outcome, but that has become rarer and rarer as time passed.

JatemKaa #55 Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:35 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 62379 battles
  • 4,450
  • Member since:
    05-27-2014

View PostFBPrime, on 07 November 2019 - 11:22 PM, said:

There are still plenty of AFKers in this game.  

 

AGREE!

MegaHesh #56 Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:41 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 23185 battles
  • 2,648
  • Member since:
    01-23-2016

People like to have a certain tank and do not want to participate in stupid amounts of grinding/playing on non-fun tanks. 

So, afk is by design of this game, a side effect. 


WOT-чат без банов и тертых постов: https://discord.gg/PyMc4gg

Tempest fox3 #57 Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:04 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 20962 battles
  • 18,203
  • [JOCO]
  • Member since:
    08-22-2013

View PostMegaHesh, on 11 November 2019 - 08:41 AM, said:

People like to have a certain tank and do not want to participate in stupid amounts of grinding/playing on non-fun tanks. 

So, afk is by design of this game, a side effect. 

 

And those that do it in tier 10s?


War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131 - In order obtained

 

Spoiler

CatSnipah #58 Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:06 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 26795 battles
  • 5,377
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    11-10-2013

View PostJust An0maly, on 09 November 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

 

Help me out here Snipah -- how is this punishing everyone? (Maybe I missed a proposal, that you are mentioning specifically?)

I mean, the rule would be applied to all of us, and yes, sometimes life happens and you'd get timed out for 15 minutes. But, honestly, for the very occasional violation 15 minutes isn't much of a punishment; only for those who repeatedly and regularly do so.

Just curious if you think that is too onerous.

 

View PostTempest fox3, on 10 November 2019 - 03:22 AM, said:

 

Screw who over exactly? Unless life is somehow getting in the way of every match nothing significant would happen to you.

 

Have you even read anything I've said so far?

 

I'll use another free to play game as an example. What i suggested earlier, suicide/quit early from a match you get a 10-15 min timeout where you can't queue. The more you do it within a set time frame, the longer the timeout gets. 

 

Paladins is a 5v5 hero shooter (similar to overwatch) if you quit a match, or get AFK booted from a match by the game you get a timeout where you can't requeue. It starts with a 10 min timeout. Do it a second time within a 24 hour timeframe and you get a 30min timeout, do it again within 24 hours of the second offense and you get a hour timeout and so on. In paladins if you afk too long or quit early from a match, a bot takes over your character for the match. Paladins (HiRez) takes it very seriously and so should wargaming. 

 

If life forces you to quit a match or you accidentally suicide once. Oh well, you get a short timeout. Minor inconvenience. Keep doing it over and over like some of these players do and you'll have a problem. How often would this affect you, once a week? Less?

 

If you have a better idea, please by all means tell us.

 

Gents -

 

My point here is that instead of WG / MS / SONY putting in effort to address specific players who are chronic and / or blatant AFKers, these suggestions end up punishing everyone in the game, even if one event happens. 

 

My blunt wording earlier is rooted in the fact that taking away a benefit or punishing everyone because of a few bad actors frustrates me, in general. 



vVMr GoodCatVv #59 Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:13 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 28872 battles
  • 12,630
  • Member since:
    11-08-2013

View PostTempest fox3, on 11 November 2019 - 10:04 AM, said:

 

And those that do it in tier 10s?

 

 merc tank contracts is my guess

"I'm the dandy highway man that your too scared to mention

I spend my cash on looking flash and grabbing your attention"                                                        


topgearuk302 #60 Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:44 PM

    Private

  • Players
  • 14239 battles
  • 4
  • [HEAT]
  • Member since:
    03-25-2016
Sometimes physics are to blame. If a light tank goes over a little bump and ends up flipping over and dying, can you really blame the player? Not trying to make excuses for these suiciders but it is worth mentioning.




11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users