Community Opinion on Cross-play

Cross-play

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Cross-play Hiatus (116 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 50 battles in order to participate this poll.

What do you believe to be the reason as to why cross-play is in a state of hiatus on World of Tanks Console?

1. Limitations from the Xbox 360. (88 votes [75.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.86%

2. Cost effect related issues. (8 votes [6.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

3. Sony is lying with their public announcements. (1 vote [0.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.86%

4. Cross-play will definitely come. There is some reason why this game specifically, is unable to implement it. (19 votes [16.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.38%

Vote Hide poll

FBPrime #21 Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:02 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 50382 battles
  • [-L7-]

View PostJelliedPenny08, on 22 November 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

They have implied the contractual / legal problems associated with the birth of the game several times over the years along with the ability for crossplay across all consoles in house without problems. I have always assumed the barriers were paper ones and not technological. 

I think it is something to do with the way the game evolved from 360 ~> One ~> ps4  and that maybe the contracts that allowed the game onto console favoured microsoft specifically through 360. I think that Sony never quite got onto the same parity in the contracts and that it has been a sticking point since. 

Contracts are far harder to overcome than tech barriers. WG has always claimed they had overcome those tech barriers anyway. However they have been and are working on it. WoWs is just paving the way. Speculating on how far they are through the process and what it will look like is just that. Demanding it looks one way or another is pointless as the community will take whatever WG can negotiate for us. Fortunately what the community wants will benefit WG and the game lifespan. 

:)

I doubt they have any contractual obligations at this point.  There was the 1 year exclusivity to Xbox when the game launched, but otherwise as to pertaining to the consoles its currently on I doubt there is anything of the sort at this point in time.  The biggest hint was the mods who kept saying 'its just a flip of a switch'.  This implies cross-play is already easily accessible for the community if allowed, however, that flip of the switch pertained to Xbox One and PS4, not Xbox 360. And on that note, I can see why WGCB would be hesitant to allow cross-play, as it would alienate the Xbox 360 community; and considering they are less than 10% of the Xbox population, they would have issues with getting full 15 vs 15 player matches.  

"The 360 was released in 2005. The Super Nintendo was released in 1991. With the new Gen next year, the 360 will be farther behind the newest console than the Super Nintendo was behind the 360."

FBPrime #22 Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:03 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 50382 battles
  • [-L7-]

View Postbevenh, on 22 November 2019 - 06:57 PM, said:

Are there any legal reasons for keeping the 360 in WOT’s?  Could that counsel be dropped or not?

Probably not.  And it would not make sense for there to be such a contract for a console that is more than 14 years old.

"The 360 was released in 2005. The Super Nintendo was released in 1991. With the new Gen next year, the 360 will be farther behind the newest console than the Super Nintendo was behind the 360."

IBROX 04 #23 Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:03 AM

Major

• Players
  • 20714 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostTheOnlyTrueNoob, on 22 November 2019 - 11:56 PM, said:

Well, tbf, whilst they may not be children a lot of the players in this community are pretty thick.

That's not the point. 

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm

Bert Raccoon80 #24 Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:50 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22099 battles
  • [FLT]
At this point who knows.  love to see it but not getting my hopes up

JelliedPenny08 #25 Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:52 AM

Major

• Players
  • 16905 battles

View PostIBROX 04, on 22 November 2019 - 11:54 PM, said:

I understand and agree on some points. Thou why did they decide to release patch notes for an update today? They've never released this stuff before and always has an excuse for not releasing it. So why now? I've always said that wg console thinks as it's community as children and gullible. 

Firefighting, plain and simple. They don't want uproar . Also it looks better for negotiating  if the community is united behind it, rather than squabbling over why it isn't happening. 

View PostFBPrcrossplay. ime, on 23 November 2019 - 12:02 AM, said:

I doubt they have any contractual obligations at this point.  There was the 1 year exclusivity to Xbox when the game launched, but otherwise as to pertaining to the consoles its currently on I doubt there is anything of the sort at this point in time.  The biggest hint was the mods who kept saying 'its just a flip of a switch'.  This implies cross-play is already easily accessible for the community if allowed, however, that flip of the switch pertained to Xbox One and PS4, not Xbox 360. And on that note, I can see why WGCB would be hesitant to allow cross-play, as it would alienate the Xbox 360 community; and considering they are less than 10% of the Xbox population, they would have issues with getting full 15 vs 15 player matches.  

Think back, it makes perfect sense. WoT wanted a foothold in console markets. No previous console endured in the same way before 360. They could have agreed to a few certain conditions to make it happen that they never thought ms would tie them up with later. 

360 wasn't predicted to last like this and I suspect even ms never thought that it would still be generating revenue. Let alone WG expecting them to be still supporting it and holding them to any relevant agreements made. 

If it was in WG power they could have separated earlier, when the numbers would let it happen and encourage players to transition. Contracts are the only thing that could not be reasonably overcome. I would love to think that WoT Console has a loyalty to the heritage that got them here that means they support 360 without being forced to by ms. I do think they genuinely feel that way, but from a business standpoint a contract clause makes a far more compelling argument. 

I have never thought that it was WG dragging their heels on crossplay , 360 retention etc. They are at the mercy of their 3rd party partners. I think sony doesn't have contract parity because WG learned a lesson through dealing with ms  over 360 support. 

FBPrime #26 Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:35 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 50382 battles
  • [-L7-]

View PostJelliedPenny08, on 22 November 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

Firefighting, plain and simple. They don't want uproar . Also it looks better for negotiating  if the community is united behind it, rather than squabbling over why it isn't happening. 

Think back, it makes perfect sense. WoT wanted a foothold in console markets. No previous console endured in the same way before 360. They could have agreed to a few certain conditions to make it happen that they never thought ms would tie them up with later. 

360 wasn't predicted to last like this and I suspect even ms never thought that it would still be generating revenue. Let alone WG expecting them to be still supporting it and holding them to any relevant agreements made. 

If it was in WG power they could have separated earlier, when the numbers would let it happen and encourage players to transition. Contracts are the only thing that could not be reasonably overcome. I would love to think that WoT Console has a loyalty to the heritage that got them here that means they support 360 without being forced to by ms. I do think they genuinely feel that way, but from a business standpoint a contract clause makes a far more compelling argument. 

I have never thought that it was WG dragging their heels on crossplay , 360 retention etc. They are at the mercy of their 3rd party partners. I think sony doesn't have contract parity because WG learned a lesson through dealing with ms  over 360 support. 

This is mostly straw-man with nothing to show as evidence or comparison.  And if WG had wanted to separate the Xbox 360 earlier, what benefit would that have had in a financial aspect?  Plus your argument is disproved by the fact that WG has even stated in the past that they were under no contractual obligation to support the Xbox 360, other than they felt they needed to keep the game playable specifically to that market.  There was a video with Jeff Greg talking about this and he went over the points that even though it was around 5% of the total community, those players were still paying money and supporting the game and they didn't want to take the game away from them.  

With all of that said, it does appear as if it is a hardware related problem with the Xbox 360.  Many massive upgrades and features of the game have been canned due to the Xbox 360 not being able to support them (Frontlines, last known position, server reticle, ect).  Considering that Warships is launching with cross-play very soon and WOT console is now going cold turkey on the matter, it is highly suspect that the Xbox 360 being the problem is correct; and in the past there has been harsh criticism when WG acknowledged the limitations and removal of content due to Xbox 360 limitations, to which they followed by being more discrete about 'hardware restrictions'. 

deadman1921 #27 Posted 23 November 2019 - 02:25 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 29978 battles
  • [NONE]
I think it’s money related.

Soldiers of the One | Loyalty to NONE

CivilWarGoat #28 Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:47 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 24271 battles
  • [RED1]

View PostGinTonicus, on 22 November 2019 - 08:39 PM, said:

The devs are still claiming, even in the latest stream, that development is not being held back by the 360. There are many problematic things stemming from that line of thinking.

That tells me only one thing: That they have no real plans to develop the game in a way that would take advantage of the massive leap in resources afforded by even the base xbox one/ps4 over the 360.

If the 360-boat-anchor isn't holding back development then the only logical conclusion is that there is really no meaningful development going on i.e. no new modes like frontlines (almost certainly no way the 360 could handle that), bigger maps, better graphics, more advanced physics etc..

this is exactly what is happening.  The game hasn't been improved in any meaningfull way in over 2 years.  Cross play isnt going to save the death spiral that the developers have put this game in.

TocFanKe4 #29 Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:57 AM

Major

• Players
  • 21268 battles
  • [GIRLS]
They need to come out and unequivocally say that we're getting cross play but there is no timeline yet. That's what I thought Rai said on a recent stream. Their written statement added more confusion. That's not a good thing. Purchases in this game are made in part based on the confidence it will keep going. Cross play might not solve problems, but it shows that we can still have confidence in this game from the support it's getting from corporate.

This came at the worst time for them, as their biggest sale of the year is right around the corner. If they don't clarify their statement, the speculation will increase. That will lower confidence and kill Black Friday sales.

My dislike of +/- 1 pales in comparison to my hatred of Loaded Dice.

Sbornaja #30 Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:18 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40626 battles
  • [KRAUT]
Sony would be ready but without the 360!
And that is something WG does not want! Probably for economic reasons ...

XBOX ONE

deadman1921 #31 Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:42 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 29978 battles
  • [NONE]

View PostTocFanKe4, on 23 November 2019 - 12:57 AM, said:

They need to come out and unequivocally say that we're getting cross play but there is no timeline yet. That's what I thought Rai said on a recent stream. Their written statement added more confusion. That's not a good thing. Purchases in this game are made in part based on the confidence it will keep going. Cross play might not solve problems, but it shows that we can still have confidence in this game from the support it's getting from corporate.

This came at the worst time for them, as their biggest sale of the year is right around the corner. If they don't clarify their statement, the speculation will increase. That will lower confidence and kill Black Friday sales.

This right here. Main reason I quite spending money. 
If they said we are getting cross play I may start financially supporting them again. 
Game may last for years as is, I don’t know. Until they do something to bring my confidence back up I’m freeloading. 

Soldiers of the One | Loyalty to NONE

M4ntiX #32 Posted 23 November 2019 - 05:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 30839 battles
  • [JOCO]
Can I just add, this is a statement of how good the 360 is. Say what you will but Microsoft made a one bada55 console! Long live the 360! Our grand kids will still be playing it. Lol.

You can click on my e-peen:

"No one in history has ever been insulted into agreement." - Arthur Brooks

MrTrollPacMan #33 Posted 23 November 2019 - 05:17 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 19008 battles

View PostJoco3000, on 22 November 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

They announced years ago that PS4-Xbox cross-play was done routinely in-house, so I have no idea what the actual issue is.

This^^

I do not believe WG was lying when they said they had cross play working in-house. 

I think the real issue is that Sony doesn’t want to be tied to the 360, or that the 360 has some limitation that doesn’t allow it to be operated with a  Playstation. Either way, the 360 is the issue.

II NO x VICE II #34 Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:13 PM

Major

• Players
  • 38945 battles

Perhaps Sony is privately asking for a fee upfront (something similar to "connection fee" that telecom operators charge)? These things are NDA-ed behind a documentary firewall so a reason that is economical will never see the light of the day, only vague inferences that deflect from the real issue.

I highly doubt that 360 has any role to play - the servers that server all of 360 and XB1, XB-S and XB-X together are more than capable of dishing it out to a PS4. I think the community needs to stop beating the 360 drum as far as cross play is concerned - it detracts from the likely real issues.

WEREW0LF 8541 #35 Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:47 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 48324 battles
Does that mean players can either wear the Fuzzy pink Bunny outfit or the Darth Vader Squirrel outfit against the Anime Japanese schools in minis with high heels.

ABAOUIA #36 Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 47414 battles
  • [ASYLM]
Option 4 !

Why ?

Cause it's always a matter of "politics".

And that's the closest answer to "politics"

FBPrime #37 Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:05 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 50382 battles
  • [-L7-]
Still no communication on any news of cross-play.  Seems the community is unanimous with their thoughts on why that is the case.

WEREW0LF 8541 #38 Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:59 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 48324 battles
Can you still wear your fuzzy pink bunny outfit or sluty the skunk while playing against the anime school girls wearing mini's and high heels.

TocFanKe4 #39 Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:24 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21268 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostFBPrime, on 04 December 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

Still no communication on any news of cross-play.  Seems the community is unanimous with their thoughts on why that is the case.

No response to direct questions about a statement they made that cross play was coming.  I heard Raibot say cross play was coming in a weekly assault before thanksgiving.  I asked her to confirm that on the forum, and have gotten no response.  It's been troubling since their statement seems to backtrack to the "we're continuing to ask about it" thing they've been doing for years. 

My dislike of +/- 1 pales in comparison to my hatred of Loaded Dice.

scwirpeo #40 Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:27 PM

Major

• Players
  • 41493 battles
  • [CRY]

View PostWEREW0LF 8541, on 04 December 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

Can you still wear your fuzzy pink bunny outfit or sluty the skunk while playing against the anime school girls wearing mini's and high heels.

Ok Boomer

MOEs so I can pretend like they matter

Spoiler

Also tagged with Cross-play

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users