TD Advice - esp 8.8cm Jagdtiger

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Jherry Angel #1 Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:45 PM

Captain

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 34470 battles

Am after some advice after a premium dropped  in a recent war-chest purchase - the 8.8cm Jagdtiger. 

I dont really play non-turreted tanks, TDs etc but have set myself a challenge to learn how to do so. 

Welcome some general tips, equip loadout etc and anything specific to this tank - I'll be looking to 2-mark it, at least, and score an Ace if I can. 

Seems the only posts I can find with search bemoan its lack of ability - makes my mission a little more challenging. 

Thanks in advance. 

"Whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you ... stranger." 

Tempest fox3 #2 Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:16 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21072 battles
  • [JOCO]
I got the Jagdtiger 8.8 a few weeks ago when it was 70% off in a bundle with tanks I already owned (I think it cost 3.6k gold in the end) it's a monster.

It's not able to trade, but get the right positioning and just let the DPM cleave through your opponents. Anyone foolish enough to poke you gets tracked and farmed.

I haven't played many battles in it yet, but don't try to rely on the Armour. Its easy to pen, even if you get hull down so only your upper case mate is showing people can still pen you easily.

Aim to track people with the first shot, you'll make them burn their repair kit to get away or you can farm all of their health if they don't.

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131, Skoda T25 - In order obtained

Spoiler

STUART SHERMAN #3 Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:35 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 41077 battles
  • [FLT]

I do not have Jagdtiger 8.8 but its seems to have the same hull as the tier IX TT tank. The 8.8cm is kinda weak looking but being a tier VIII with PMM it should play similar. 
1. Get plenty of repair skills as being tracked is a death sentence.
2. Reload, reload, reload are tops for crew as she is almost impossible to hide.
3. I run vents, rammer, and tool box. 

4. Upper hull can bounce some, but don’t count on it. I like to play well behind 2nd line, moving up if the situation is favorable. 
5. Keep the Reds at arms length. You are at a severe disadvantage against almost any tank in an up close fight. Stay near friendlies and hope they help when needed. 

6. Sooner or later you will need to defend yourself against a light or fast medium, find some hard cover to keep them from circling. You can mash them out of the way if they try to wedge in next to you. Keep turning into them and you can squeeze them out to where you can shoot them. 

"Stop it with all the negative waves..."    Oddball

Red Dough Boy #4 Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:51 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 27503 battles
  • [APG]

Hull down and support fire position is your best bet as others have mentioned. Don't move up too fast in any hull locked TD as it minimizes the distance an enemy needs to close on you and get around you, just remember range is your friend. Load up on premium rounds as well, there are plenty of tough tier 8 and 9 targets and your tank is not made for outflanking so you will have to fire from range. 

I could never personally get the Jagdtiger 88 to work, I have a Super Pershing and an FCM 50 T both of which have similar AP rounds and better APCR as well as having turrets. I ended up trading mine in to get a Chinese trainer I could actually utilize. I wouldn't blame you for keeping it, it does have DPM and some armor going for it. It's just a very situational tank. 

If I only had a Baneblade....

Pit Friend #5 Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:00 AM

Major

• Players
  • 33602 battles
  • [PTATO]
The three advantages the 8.8 has is PMM so no tier X tanks to deal with, cheap ammo even with Premium, and a high rate of fire. Angle and cover the lower plate if at all possible and blaze away. 

When the nice guy loses his patience the devil shivers. 

FromBravo2Kilo #6 Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:28 AM

Major

• Players
  • 22046 battles
  • [47R]
I don’t have the PMM, but did well in the T IX Jadgtiger.  Track repair, Clutch Breaking, Safe Storage, Silent Drive, Off Road Driving and Pain Tolerance, Vision (x2) are skills that will help you survive on the field longer.  And remember to angle between shots when the need arises.  

ECT unCOUNTed #7 Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:13 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29494 battles

I was lucky as well to win one from a chest, it's better than what i expected. Hull down and using its gun depression (-7 or 8) makes it tougher to pen, if you cant hide the lower plate angle like a Tiger II between shots. Great dpm will melt your opponent if you are in a good position.

I started with rammer/camo/binocs and now i'm trying rammer/vents/optics as it has a very good view range, 390 if i remember right.

JediAL78 #8 Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:29 AM

Major

• Players
  • 19305 battles

I got my JT88 years ago, to be honest I haven't played it much these days due to playing mainly T10 and also the fact that it has been power creeped really badly.

I used to be able to hold an entire flank on my own (assuming you can hide your lower plate), because your hull armour was very bouncy and with the DPM, anyone moving out in front of you would get shredded.

Now, not so much, most tier 8 guns will simply blast through your hull armour, and if they bounce once, they will simply load the gold.

I run mine with Rammer, Binocs and vents, I keep it as a 2nd line support and punish anyone who moves in front of you.

My advice is - 

- if you are being targeted, is to wiggle slightly as your reloading, this can vastly increase the bounce potential of your armour.

- Increase vision range skills on your crews (SA, recon etc..) this will help you outspot enemies.

- make sure to also train repairs, track mechanic and clutch breaking.

- Use the accuracy and DPM of the 88 to your advantage, it doesn't hit hard, but it hits fast and enemy HP can fall at an alarming rate if people get tracked. 

- Don't be afraid to use gold rounds if required.

- Hide your lower plate at all times.

- This thing just prints money like it's going out of fashion, even with a half decent game you should be getting at least 80k a game (unless they nerfed the silver making since I last played it), making over 100k a game is not too difficult.

- Keep fairly far back, reason being is that the gun arc is fairly narrow, keeping further back will allow you to target more enemies without having to constantly re-position.

- Don't be in a hurry to get into the fight, 2 reasons, 1..... you can't move fast, so don't try. 2.... if you do move up alone your probably dead. Trundle forward behind the heavies and let them spot for you.

- If finding yourself top tier in a corridor map (himmelsdorf for example), don't be afraid to bully the enemy by just driving at them and shredding them (this is slightly contradicting the point above, but you can do this). Just make sure you don't move forward alone and get the enemy team for things like Defenders which can ruin your day in a hurry.

Hope that helps. 

It is a fun tank to play and one of my most played tanks (620 battles, ace tank, 1 MOE), it's worth playing simply for the silver making. 

List of tanks I have in Garage

Spoiler

JARL VARYAG #9 Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:52 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9671 battles
Vents, rammer, and optics. It's gun arc is too small to use binocs.

My honor is loyalty.

buyaPepsi #10 Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:42 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11610 battles
  • [IRON]
It is very rewarding when played correctly. Pick your trades wisely. The 122's you can reliably trade 3 to 1. Angling 20-30% will get you a lot of bounces. Have a track mechanic crew, or repairs at a minimum. Use the accuracy, tracking a tank is never bad, most times you can get a pinning track shot once they are still, I frequently am able to perma track tankers with poor crews to their death. Its not a tank you can consistently carry a game in, the lack of overall mobility prevents that. It will however put up a good fight if your able to hide that lower hull and keep engagements at a good distance. You will draw more than average arty fire, so in games with them present keep in mind of positioning the best you can. 

Jherry Angel #11 Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:34 PM

Captain

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 34470 battles

My thanks to all for advice above - much appreciated.  Some observations re this tanks specifically:

- regardless of if I fail or succeed in my ambition to Ace/2-mark, this tank will make me a pile of silver, good game or poor.  You really don't need prammo unless your way down the tiers.  But a 100% prammo use would still score +ve silver levels;

- the level of gun depression surprised me, it has saved my skin a few times because;

- well-angled, or ridge-peaking, it does bounce quite well - a PB of 2k at moment - otherwise face the pain;

- that gun and it's rate of fire!  Perfect for 'track and tap' (track shot/damage shot) tactics - have farmed a few Heavies as result.  The amount of dmg is addictive - a PB of 2k at moment.

- spot assist comes easily.  I run with optics (rammer and camo net completes the equipment) and a crew with both vision skills.  Track assist is just icing on cake really - thick royal icing with marzipan at times - PB of 2.5k at moment.

- struck me how fast this thing was going forwards - and with a  crew with CB and ORD the main inhabitants, more nippy than I expected.  Lights are a pain - not be doing their job otherwise - but have caught out a few of the more bolder Light & Medium drivers trying to flank and moving faster than they clearly expected;

- nice crew trainer - whilst games tend to be Top 5 or wash-outs, when doing well the XP isn't to be sniffed at;

- as a player who mainly plays Lights and fast Mediums, the pace and tactics needed are being learned - my thanks for general tips.  I cant see me doing more fixed TDs after this.

Finally - there are players out there who seem to do very well - the M has eluded me (scored a 1st pretty early).  2 marks may be more achievable than initially feared - if only because the level of assist you can score.

Thanks again everyone above - happy tanking and here's to meeting as Greens.

JARL VARYAG #12 Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:58 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9671 battles

View PostJherry Angel, on 06 December 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

My thanks to all for advice above - much appreciated.  Some observations re this tanks specifically:

- regardless of if I fail or succeed in my ambition to Ace/2-mark, this tank will make me a pile of silver, good game or poor.  You really don't need prammo unless your way down the tiers.  But a 100% prammo use would still score +ve silver levels;

- the level of gun depression surprised me, it has saved my skin a few times because;

- well-angled, or ridge-peaking, it does bounce quite well - a PB of 2k at moment - otherwise face the pain;

- that gun and it's rate of fire!  Perfect for 'track and tap' (track shot/damage shot) tactics - have farmed a few Heavies as result.  The amount of dmg is addictive - a PB of 2k at moment.

- spot assist comes easily.  I run with optics (rammer and camo net completes the equipment) and a crew with both vision skills.  Track assist is just icing on cake really - thick royal icing with marzipan at times - PB of 2.5k at moment.

- struck me how fast this thing was going forwards - and with a  crew with CB and ORD the main inhabitants, more nippy than I expected.  Lights are a pain - not be doing their job otherwise - but have caught out a few of the more bolder Light & Medium drivers trying to flank and moving faster than they clearly expected;

- nice crew trainer - whilst games tend to be Top 5 or wash-outs, when doing well the XP isn't to be sniffed at;

- as a player who mainly plays Lights and fast Mediums, the pace and tactics needed are being learned - my thanks for general tips.  I cant see me doing more fixed TDs after this.

Finally - there are players out there who seem to do very well - the M has eluded me (scored a 1st pretty early).  2 marks may be more achievable than initially feared - if only because the level of assist you can score.

Thanks again everyone above - happy tanking and here's to meeting as Greens.

It is my most played tank and I have not got an ace in it either. I would use vents instead of a camo net as you have to rotate the hull a lot because of the poor gun arc.

My honor is loyalty.

Jherry Angel #13 Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:43 PM

Captain

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 34470 battles

View PostJARL VARYAG, on 06 December 2019 - 08:58 PM, said:

It is my most played tank and I have not got an ace in it either. I would use vents instead of a camo net as you have to rotate the hull a lot because of the poor gun arc.

I did start with vents for half a dozen games, swapped to camo. I agree that vents is way forward, once I've got a proper grasp and be a little more forward in positioning. 

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users