overlord map video

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

FromBravo2Kilo #21 Posted 01 January 2020 - 12:56 AM

Major

• Players
  • 22268 battles
  • [47R]
I (edit) you not!  I had a player in a Swede TD run the beach during the last Commander Mode. :facepalm:

SPUK4U #22 Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:08 AM

Major

• Players
  • 12348 battles

View PostFromBravo2Kilo, on 01 January 2020 - 12:56 AM, said:

I (edit) you not!  I had a player in a Swede TD run the beach during the last Commander Mode. :facepalm:

Only time I entered into beach was when commander was trying to group hug my UDES03 and only escape route was through the beach.  UDES03 was fast enough to escape to the other end of the beach and climb on top of the cliff to wait commander's tanks.  It was a mistake form commander to take his tanks down at the beach and leave tankers above.  Most commanders that I met were smart enough to stay off the beach and move around the top area. Of course, driving all tanks into the cap right after start is not the smartest move, but it beats going at the beach move.   :teethhappy:

-- Ask, Observe, Learn and Improve --

FromBravo2Kilo #23 Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:46 AM

Major

• Players
  • 22268 battles
  • [47R]

View PostFromBravo2Kilo, on 31 December 2019 - 07:56 PM, said:

View PostSPUK4U, on 01 January 2020 - 06:08 AM, said:

Only time I entered into beach was when commander was trying to group hug my UDES03 and only escape route was through the beach.  UDES03 was fast enough to escape to the other end of the beach and climb on top of the cliff to wait commander's tanks.  It was a mistake form commander to take his tanks down at the beach and leave tankers above.  Most commanders that I met were smart enough to stay off the beach and move around the top area. Of course, driving all tanks into the cap right after start is not the smartest move, but it beats going at the beach move.   :teethhappy:

My match had the player run it right from the get go.  Unfortunately the Commander wasn’t as dumb as the Tanker.  Nothing like leaving your team shorthanded at the start of the match.  I had the unfortunate pleasure to have the same player on my team in some following matches.  Lucky me.

You have a better chance of winning on Westfield running the ridge.  It’s got to have better odds than the beach on Overlord (although pretty (edit)ing slim.  

PLK180W #24 Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 61 battles

As long as half your team doesn't go play in the sand, and you have a couple of scouts with some braincells, not too hard.

But why is it always the top tiers who go paddling? 

Through The Mud And Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

SPUK4U #25 Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:30 PM

Major

• Players
  • 12348 battles

View PostPLK180W, on 01 January 2020 - 07:46 PM, said:

As long as half your team doesn't go play in the sand, and you have a couple of scouts with some braincells, not too hard.

But why is it always the top tiers who go paddling? 

Only reason I have figured is fear of artillery as if tanks hug the cliff wall they are in quite safe from artillery until one drops on top of them.  :teethhappy:

TheGuyOnMyPS #26 Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:27 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 8257 battles
  • [45TH]
Probably won't get much response since most people likely avoid such redundant topics, but I've always genuinely wondered if anyone has been successful by overcommitting to the beach.  Unlike certain very "unwise" strategies on other maps, I've never witnessed the rare exception that proves the rule on Overlord.  I've yet to see the beachcombers win a game that wasn't already secured by those fighting above.  And, it's not just noobs; I see many top tier players with ample experience under their belts.  So, surely there is some positive reinforcement that I'm missing, or else this tactic is "the definition of insanity".  

SPUK4U #27 Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:09 AM

Major

• Players
  • 12348 battles

View PostTheGuyOnMyPS, on 02 January 2020 - 09:27 AM, said:

Probably won't get much response since most people likely avoid such redundant topics, but I've always genuinely wondered if anyone has been successful by overcommitting to the beach.  Unlike certain very "unwise" strategies on other maps, I've never witnessed the rare exception that proves the rule on Overlord.  I've yet to see the beachcombers win a game that wasn't already secured by those fighting above.  And, it's not just noobs; I see many top tier players with ample experience under their belts.  So, surely there is some positive reinforcement that I'm missing, or else this tactic is "the definition of insanity".  

I was not expecting much response, but as old topic are locked, here is a new one.  For the beach team winning the battle it's rare, usually what I have seen only one or two tanks get up to the cliff and take out arty and defending TDs, but usually battle is already decided at that moment.

PLK180W #28 Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:57 AM

Major

• Players
  • 61 battles

View PostTheGuyOnMyPS, on 02 January 2020 - 09:27 AM, said:

I've seen it once or twice, mainly fast movers going along the beach then causing chaos when they pop up, whilst the rest of the team held the line on top. Haven't seen it often enough to tempt me to try it.

It's like Lakeville Valley, people see it work once or twice, so constantly try to repeat the magic.

Edited by PLK180W, 02 January 2020 - 11:58 AM.

Through The Mud And Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

MilitaryGoose05 #29 Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:37 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14424 battles

Here's a scary thing, I recently saw a thread on a Facebook WoT page which had 3 or 4 players boasting about how awesome it was to go beach all the time because they really genuinely 100% believed they were winning the matches for their teams by going beach.

One time one of them had 5 team members go beach with them, and they drove all the way down unopposed and were able to cap out the red base, so obviously it's the winning strategy for this map!

And they absolutely refused to listen to any reason or logic as people tried to explain to them it was a terrible idea. They knew they were right.

SPUK4U #30 Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 12348 battles

View PostMilitaryGoose05, on 02 January 2020 - 01:37 PM, said:

Here's a scary thing, I recently saw a thread on a Facebook WoT page which had 3 or 4 players boasting about how awesome it was to go beach all the time because they really genuinely 100% believed they were winning the matches for their teams by going beach.

One time one of them had 5 team members go beach with them, and they drove all the way down unopposed and were able to cap out the red base, so obviously it's the winning strategy for this map!

And they absolutely refused to listen to any reason or logic as people tried to explain to them it was a terrible idea. They knew they were right.

The beach team can get past the map if enemy just has few tanks on the beach. It may feel like like a flank victory when they move fast forward, but it's usually doomed if enemy has already used it's full force to win the top part of the cliff.  It's hard to cap the base under sniper fire when ever shot that causes damage is resting the cap timer.

Next time when I'm playing top tier Overload, I ping the beach and go there just to see if I can create a winning condition for the team. If someone beats me, post a video here so that we can see how the beach is supposed to be played. ;)

CattMeister #31 Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

Staff sergeant

• Supertest - PS4
  • 6609 battles

Yesterday I saw a team try and do this. We put up no resistance on the beach itself but were able to snipe a few shots in from the ridges.

After that they slowly attempted to drive up but they got absolutely wrecked, one tank, conqueror, got completely up but was already half health and was easily finished by me (Type 61).

The others didn't make it halfway up the slope before getting blasted to oblivion.

If you attempt this, you better hope the enemy doesn't spot you and you better hope they didn't set up any defenses near the base.

SPUK4U #32 Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 12348 battles

View PostCattMeister, on 02 January 2020 - 02:32 PM, said:

Yesterday I saw a team try and do this. We put up no resistance on the beach itself but were able to snipe a few shots in from the ridges.

After that they slowly attempted to drive up but they got absolutely wrecked, one tank, conqueror, got completely up but was already half health and was easily finished by me (Type 61).

The others didn't make it halfway up the slope before getting blasted to oblivion.

If you attempt this, you better hope the enemy doesn't spot you and you better hope they didn't set up any defenses near the base.

I was wondering would it be better to go up from the C or H ramp  or from the  A or K ramp?  Those A or K ramps look a bit better as there is less change to end up in the cross fire as one side is the map limit.    :unsure:

CattMeister #33 Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:09 PM

Staff sergeant

• Supertest - PS4
  • 6609 battles

View PostSPUK4U, on 02 January 2020 - 05:01 PM, said:

I was wondering would it be better to go up from the C or H ramp  or from the  A or K ramp?  Those A or K ramps look a bit better as there is less change to end up in the cross fire as one side is the map limit.    :unsure:

Only if the enemy doesn't suspect it. You're longer out in the open going for the 'far' ramps but it could pay off if the enemy couldn't react in time.

Again, this is hard to do as every game I've been in there were at least some people scouting the beaches, either from the ridges or on the beach.

Also tagged with overlord, map, video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users