Jump to content


Still a fun game?

Gameplay Tanks Tiers

  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

WrathJ83 #21 Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:28 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 23828 battles
  • 1,845
  • Member since:
    02-16-2014
I have more fun when platooned with my friends.

FuzzySquirrel21 #22 Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:57 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 11798 battles
  • 1,769
  • Member since:
    10-08-2016
No.

I’m close to being done.   The game has gotten worse for many many reasons.

PumpkinEcobar #23 Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:51 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 15772 battles
  • 3,692
  • Member since:
    04-21-2016
When I focus on playing tanks it's fun. A lot of fun. Maybe my favorite game ever.
When I let the streaky RNG, poor map rotation, sloppy mm, crazy bad communication from WG, and my own bad play get to me, no. It's not fun at all.

PLK180W #24 Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:12 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 61 battles
  • 8,057
  • Member since:
    10-29-2014

View PostCobravert, on 07 January 2020 - 04:57 PM, said:

I asked about this a long time ago. They gave me a link showing that the -2 counter to keep you from being -2 all the time is only set for whatever tank that you are in, but when you change, the counter is reset.

It's about tiering, not the tank's ability to do well in a game or not. We've all had runs where nothing works no matter what tank we use, and it all seems to work fine the next day.

 

I always thought, (was told), the counter reset if you changed tiers.

 


Through The Mud And Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

Cobravert #25 Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:10 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 28186 battles
  • 3,905
  • [WPLAC]
  • Member since:
    03-10-2014

View PostTocFanKe4, on 07 January 2020 - 07:09 PM, said:

 

 

 

Ok, I knew PAINGOD covered this a long time ago, but with some searching on the terrible search function of the forum, I found his replay to SPP on the question of changing tanks and tiers.  Short answer is that it tracks the player, not what they are playing.  Changing servers or logging off for a long while resets it.:

 

(Link to SPP original question) http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/55215-wgwpain-re-mm-rng/page__hl__%20matchmaking__st__80#topmost

 

It wasn't that example I was given, but a link to some War Gaming page. This would have been about 3 years ago or so. It looks more or less like they are saying the same thing, somewhat, but not exactly how the page I saw interpreted it. I don't remember which employee gave it to me, but they don't show up here very often.



TocFanKe4 #26 Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:13 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 21394 battles
  • 24,924
  • [GIRLS]
  • Member since:
    03-16-2014

View PostPLK180W, on 08 January 2020 - 09:12 AM, said:

 

I always thought, (was told), the counter reset if you changed tiers.

 

 

Who told you this?  I'm trying to find out where this came from.  I've encountered several people saying this, but my quote above from PAINGOD says changing tiers doesn't affect the counter.  This matches my personal experience.  I very rarely play the same tank or even tier twice in a row, but I still find I'm top tier or higher middle tier after two bottom tier matches in a row. 

 

It's not foolproof, though..  All these MM "rules" get relaxed if people are waiting in the queue too long.  I've had matches where one team had arty and the other didn't, or one team had a light and one didn't.  Those are against the MM "rules". 


 

Scrambles The Death Dealer


TocFanKe4 #27 Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:29 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 21394 battles
  • 24,924
  • [GIRLS]
  • Member since:
    03-16-2014

View PostCobravert, on 08 January 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

It wasn't that example I was given, but a link to some War Gaming page. This would have been about 3 years ago or so. It looks more or less like they are saying the same thing, somewhat, but not exactly how the page I saw interpreted it. I don't remember which employee gave it to me, but they don't show up here very often.

 

Well, about 3 years ago they did release the MM Explained page.  https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/news/mm-explained-new

 

Was this what you saw? 

 

Some of the information on tier spreads isn't accurate for the tanks they list anymore, but it still describes the two bottom tier matches in a row boost at the bottom.  They do use an example at the bottom of that page of an IS-3 playing two matches against tier X in a row, then the third game it plays it would either play Tier 9 or Tier 8.  That might account for the impression that the MM tracks the tank instead of the player. 

 

 


 

Scrambles The Death Dealer


Cobravert #28 Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:39 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 28186 battles
  • 3,905
  • [WPLAC]
  • Member since:
    03-10-2014

View PostTocFanKe4, on 08 January 2020 - 12:29 PM, said:

 

Well, about 3 years ago they did release the MM Explained page.  https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/news/mm-explained-new

 

Was this what you saw? 

 

Some of the information on tier spreads isn't accurate for the tanks they list anymore, but it still describes the two bottom tier matches in a row boost at the bottom.  They do use an example at the bottom of that page of an IS-3 playing two matches against tier X in a row, then the third game it plays it would either play Tier 9 or Tier 8.  That might account for the impression that the MM tracks the tank instead of the player. 

 

 

It looks familiar, so it likely is.



JelliedPenny08 #29 Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:44 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 17319 battles
  • 4,725
  • Member since:
    06-07-2014

Yes. 

I have bad games, bad mm etc at times, but it doesn't stop me having fun. I suppose in those games the reds are having the epic game of fun. 



PLK180W #30 Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:11 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 61 battles
  • 8,057
  • Member since:
    10-29-2014

Still have a lot of fun in the game, though nowadays I very rarely go below tier VI, shame really , you could get some decent little matches with the Valantine... 

 

The only time I really curse match making is when I'm bottom tier, in a position where I know if I was in a better tank, I could make the difference.

It does frustrate me sometimes  that half the top tier tanks on your team can get wiped out within a couple of minutes without hardly a shot between them, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to even slow the avalanche coming towards you... but then you get those matches when you're bottom tier, it's been a close run thing, and you're top of the leader board with a whole line of shiny medals scrolling away, those matches shine. 


Through The Mud And Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

GEToff MyLawn52 #31 Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:38 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 28839 battles
  • 866
  • Member since:
    06-04-2014

View PostTocFanKe4, on 07 January 2020 - 06:09 PM, said:

 

 

 

Ok, I knew PAINGOD covered this a long time ago, but with some searching on the terrible search function of the forum, I found his replay to SPP on the question of changing tanks and tiers.  Short answer is that it tracks the player, not what they are playing.  Changing servers or logging off for a long while resets it.:

 

(Link to SPP original question) http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/55215-wgwpain-re-mm-rng/page__hl__%20matchmaking__st__80#topmost

 

 

 

Thanks for taking the time to look it up and post it. :medal:



BlahCarnivore6 #32 Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:39 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 10623 battles
  • 276
  • [HMBWT]
  • Member since:
    11-29-2016
My experience has been tank versus player. I will play a tier 8 bottom tier, wait till end of battle or go to garage and then roll out in the same tank knowing I will be mid or top tier. It works 90% of the time.

Same happens if I am top tier in a tank, I will roll out in same tank and will be mid or bottoming the next match.

This happens the majority of the time for me. There is some minor RNG to this pending que meta at the time for the tier.

As for Platooning with Friends, this does not happen as often especially with a larger platoon. We have actually reduced from a 4 pax platoon to 2 pax platoons for better MM. Just my experience.

PLK180W #33 Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 61 battles
  • 8,057
  • Member since:
    10-29-2014
4 man platoon even bottom tier can be fun, especially in tanks that complement one another, but generally prefer two man. The MM doesn't seem to struggle so much with smaller platoons. 
Through The Mud And Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

Rusted Rails #34 Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:09 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 13179 battles
  • 3,813
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

View PostRusted Rails, on 07 January 2020 - 10:50 AM, said:

Tier 3 against tier 5 tanks?

Tier 4 against tier 6 tanks?

Tier 5 against tier 7 tanks?

Tier 6 against tier 8 tanks?

Tier 7 against tier 9 tanks

Tier 8 against tier 10?

 

Where is your sweet spot when bottom tier 75% of the time?  Is the game still fun for vets and noobs?

 

Yes or No?       Favotite tank for Tiers 1 thru 8 ir bottom tier?

Amended Topic.  Tank request added with Mercs and others.  Happy New Year 2020!



PLK180W #35 Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:27 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 61 battles
  • 8,057
  • Member since:
    10-29-2014

View PostTocFanKe4, on 08 January 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

 

Who told you this?  I'm trying to find out where this came from.  I've encountered several people saying this, but my quote above from PAINGOD says changing tiers doesn't affect the counter.  This matches my personal experience.  I very rarely play the same tank or even tier twice in a row, but I still find I'm top tier or higher middle tier after two bottom tier matches in a row. 

 

It's not foolproof, though..  All these MM "rules" get relaxed if people are waiting in the queue too long.  I've had matches where one team had arty and the other didn't, or one team had a light and one didn't.  Those are against the MM "rules". 

 

Can't remember exactly who told me or where, (might have been in a match, might have been on the forum, could've been a bloke in the pub).

 

Yeah seen too many of those types of matches, but ones where one team might get two TD'S and the other six, and not in platoons. 

Generally though, I usually just set my filters and play that tier for a couple of hours, and take the MM as it comes.


Through The Mud And Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

Rusted Rails #36 Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:00 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 13179 battles
  • 3,813
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

View PostPLK180W, on 09 January 2020 - 11:27 AM, said:

 

Can't remember exactly who told me or where, (might have been in a match, might have been on the forum, could've been a bloke in the pub).

 

Yeah seen too many of those types of matches, but ones where one team might get two TD'S and the other six, and not in platoons. 

Generally though, I usually just set my filters and play that tier for a couple of hours, and take the MM as it comes.

MM seems to be random?  3 arty on red and one for green in one match, 5 tier 6's against 7 in another, then 7 vs 7?  Mixed bag lately:playing:







Also tagged with Gameplay, Tanks, Tiers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users