Engine Variants of the Pz.Kpfw .VI Tiger

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

IPaul72 #21 Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 191 battles

View PostBGUNTER, on 19 March 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

Hard to tell but that probably was the case some times. If your forcing people to build your machines they will sabotage. Also no offens to Germans but they love to over complicate everything. I learned this on a VW Passat I had. I'm sure that didn't help there reliability when trying to build as fast as possible.

Too true on both accounts ... I have spent some time under the bonnet of many VW :veryhappy: These days though if you don't have a laptop with you it's near impossible .. bring back the spanner proof vehicles I say!

View PostCIC Lamme Tak, on 19 March 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

Germans and complicated..I have an oldtimer Hanomag tractor a R12 kb, two stroke one cylinder 539cc from 1957.

I once scraped all the teeth from the 5th gear so I thought to change that wheel..in the end i bought a second tractor of that type and put the gearbox onto mine.

As the clutch was better on the "new" one I wanted to put that also on mine but it did not fit.

Turns out Hanomag made three different clutches in three years for the same model..

Oh and they made only 996 tractors of this type, it was not a succes, it's nickname is fieldmoped and you have to drive this with earplugs..

Here a nice picture of the maybach motor of a tiger;

http://www.alanhamby...ory_floor06.jpg

bey jp

Oh the pain did you manage to source the clutch? 

btw the image didn't work unfortunately :sad:

But here is a picture I took of a lovely powerplant from Bovington in the back of a Jadgtiger SdKfz 186:

pnKalAO.jpg

On the top you can see the housing for the Air filters which led me to believe it was the HL 230 P45 700 LE engine. 

Kind Regards all  

IPaul72

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

BGUNTER #22 Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 7913 battles
Nice pic. Dumb question the circle on each side of motor. Are those cooling fans?

Lamme Tak #23 Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 34646 battles
  • [AZHOL]

I just used the old clutch..more hell of a job was to restore the roots-compressor..

Here a nice little film of the first start after 6 months;

Feel free to view all our tractor movies on that channel there and yes I love the smell of burning diesel all day long!

I am also working on some Lister engines b.t.w.

IPaul72 #24 Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 191 battles

View PostBGUNTER, on 19 March 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

Nice pic. Dumb question the circle on each side of motor. Are those cooling fans?

Hello BGHunter

You mean to the left and right on top of the engine bay? If so then yes in effect they are radiator cooling fans:smile:

Here is a little more information about the vehicle.

View PostCIC Lamme Tak, on 20 March 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

I just used the old clutch..more hell of a job was to restore the roots-compressor..

Here a nice little film of the first start after 6 months;

Feel free to view all our tractor movies on that channel there and yes I love the smell of burning diesel all day long!

I am also working on some Lister engines b.t.w.

Nice! Where you igniting it with blotting paper ... I saw the sneaky smoke :veryhappy:

I know on some of these old machines you needed to ignite them with blotting paper  :blinky: 

KInd Regards

IPaul72

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

BGUNTER #25 Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 7913 battles
Thanks ipaul72 I figured what it was but never seen for sure.

IPaul72 #26 Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 191 battles

View PostBGUNTER, on 22 March 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

Thanks ipaul72 I figured what it was but never seen for sure.

No problem we all have days like that ...

It once took me a hour to remember the name for a torques wrench :veryhappy:

Winston Churchill

Lamme Tak #27 Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 34646 battles
  • [AZHOL]

Nice! Where you igniting it with blotting paper ... I saw the sneaky smoke :veryhappy:

I know on some of these old machines you needed to ignite them with blotting paper  :blinky: 

KInd Regards

IPaul72

Hello, This one starts with a glowing red-hot spiral that ignites the diesel in the cylinder. The smoke comes from an outside second spiral where you are able to control if the inside spiral is glowing and how much. It takes a lot of power from the battery. When I make contact, close the circle, the starter will push the flying wheel and the compressor forces air into the cylinder, like in those old bentleys. Without compressor the motor wont start.

As I have been told those old M-103 personelcarriers used the same system on an 8 cylinder 2 stroke motor..! That must have been a hell of a noise on the field.

So far I saw blotting paper in use mainly on stationairy engines made in England, it is not so comfortable to use in the field in rainy conditions

and the Germans where in technological view a bit more ahead than the English, think of the Wankel-motor or that engine where there is one cylinder in the middle and a cylinderhead on each side. A very nice museum to visit all about diesel is the Deutz museum in Cologne where the very first diesel is still working every day.

With regards jp

Ps magneto ignition makes a spark only in use for petrol (benzine) and not for diesel, didn't those big german tanks use diesel? A tip if the magnet doesn't spark any more just keep tapping it with a welding(thing) until the magneto gives off the right current and a spark.

Edited by CIC Lamme Tak, 28 March 2014 - 09:15 AM.

tar callion #28 Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 30886 battles
due to the weight of the tiger tanks some 56 tones the engines were rather poor,with weak transmissions the germans lost more tigers to mechanical trouble than were actualy lost on the field of battle,as the war progressed the newer engines p230 were a metal block and alloy bodies not unlike our car engines,as metals became in short supply,as most were peterol,not diesel why they dident use a diesel is unclear,maybe to do with the sythectic petrol production,ie coal hydrodegenaration,the germans lead the world in this,so power to engine capacity made for so bad tanks automotivly,shame as most german tanks were of good quality

GraciousEel761 #29 Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8620 battles

View PostIPaul72, on 12 March 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

Hello all

To start off this section I thought I would place this in here.... 

As you may or may not know I grew up around Engines and was a driver and also a fitter so I spent a lot of time around tanks and engines in an earlier profession.
Tanks and engines still are my passion  :smile:
So I found this I knocked together a while ago and thought I would share it with you.
If you like it when I have time I shall knock some more together.

Spoiler 
Kind Regards
IPaul72 

That's incredible. Aluminum block and heads and a dry sump configuration back then? Many auto manufacturers are just NOW making that technology mass produced. Very cool read.

Division 66- The Black Panther Division

Power, Aggressiveness, Endurance.

HeavyMetal308 #30 Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:05 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 2620 battles

View PostIPaul72, on 15 March 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

Hello again 

I had a VW once too same thing with me engine ran hot to to point of blowing its own reservoir and busting a hose!

The magneto is a strange thing indeed but charging it is even more difficult when hand cranking ... I bet that baby at Bovington has broke a few wrists and arms in its time!

But just to hear her at the end of the effort is well worth it :eyesup:

Kind regards

IPaul72

I too collect antique tractors. Nothing to unique for my locale. i currently have a 37 JD model A. It has a "impulse magneto" I dont know if is the same technically as the Tiger engine. The impulse is referring to the rotary drive that couples the magneto to the engine. It uses a pre-wound spring, swinging weights and a stationary post to give the magneto rotor a burst of speed at just the right moment.But only at near zero RPM as it is hand start also.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users