• 18182 battles
  • [RATT]

View PostVictorious Nox, on 17 March 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

Well listing off what i can see

Stug III

Panther

Panzer IV (2 from what i can see)
Lots of disused halftracks.

Seems like a captured tank graveyard to me.

Awesome picture.

Black Ops 1 #22 Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:19 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1889 battles

View PostIPaul72, on 17 March 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

Hello all 

I'm trying to figure out whether this image below is the captured vehicles graveyard in Belguim after the conflict ... what do you think?

Kind regards

IPaul72

I'm drooling looking at this picture lol! So many great vehicles, I wish my backyard looked like this :tongue:. I see a Sturmgeschütz, a Panzer IV, multiple halftracks and what looks to be possibly 2 or 3 Panthers (one up front and 2 very "Panther-looking" turrets further down the line on the right with a bit of the side of one of the chassis being visible). Note the small circular hatches on the backs of the 2 turrets. That's what makes me think that they're both Panthers. Great pic! :happy:

mifiliveni #23 Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:05 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 11617 battles

are you hinting at the next premium tank bundle

Death in the shape of a Panzer Battalion!!!

IPaul72 #24 Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 191 battles

View PostZoutDrop, on 17 March 2014 - 09:35 PM, said:

http://www.armchairg...ad.php?t=114222

This ^^^ appears to be a different picture/ angle of the same scrapyard, claiming "Normandy scrapyard". Fast forward to today, how much work the tank collectors put in to finding/ restoring Axis armor, tsk tsk...

Great read OP. I hope they bring the M10 Premium here, eventually :playing:

Thanks for the picture link it does seem to be the same place with a better view you can even see what remains of the zimmerit paste on the Panzerkampfwagen VI Königstiger turret.

Incase anyone couldn't view it here it is:

View PostBlack Ops 1, on 18 March 2014 - 03:19 AM, said:

I'm drooling looking at this picture lol! So many great vehicles, I wish my backyard looked like this :tongue:

Me too now this is my idea of a scrap yard :honoring:

View PostMIFILIVENI, on 18 March 2014 - 04:05 AM, said:

are you hinting at the next premium tank bundle

Nope! Would I ever :amazed:

Hello all 

I would say where ever the picture is from it bring food for thought as to how the German half tracks ended up will the white star on them. 

As far as I know the allied forced never struggled with armament supplies on the continent. So it leaves only one conclusion and that it seem like they are captured vehicles from either this or related conflicts. 

Kind regards all

IPaul72

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Uranprojekt #25 Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8338 battles
The only explanation I can think of regarding the SdKfz having a white star on it is that it was used by the Germans as a subversive tactic. It wouldn't be the first time the Germans attempted something along those lines. The Panther M10 and the hammer and sickle painted on the Maus are proof of that.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

I write things, things which can be found in Historical Discussions. Things like this article on the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945 and this article on the Spanish Civil War.

To those of you who don't molest the English language, I salute you. For everyone else, there's this handy link; http://www.reverso.n...elling-grammar/

IPaul72 #26 Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 191 battles

View PostUranprojekt, on 29 March 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

The only explanation I can think of regarding the SdKfz having a white star on it is that it was used by the Germans as a subversive tactic. It wouldn't be the first time the Germans attempted something along those lines. The Panther M10 and the hammer and sickle painted on the Maus are proof of that.

Hello there 

This is true, allies also did similar things also with captured vehicles and weaponry ... oh if only they could talk huh!

Kind Regards

IPaul72 

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Turkey Son #27 Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 15834 battles

View PostUranprojekt, on 29 March 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

Another explanation is that the allies would use enemy equipment for testing, for emergency use,  or to just transport vehicles away from the front line.

When they did they would always paint the vehicle to help prevent friendly fire.  These vehicles were not used at the front but used (or studied) behind enemy lines, thus the huge star on the front, not the typical designation.  

I doubt many American troops would not know the silhouette of that that vehicle and mistake it for the any allied vehicle. thus that would be a pretty lame attempt by the Germans to be sneaky.but is probably there so that a freaked out back lines soldier would not open fire.  

Strong chance that the star was painted on the vehicle just so the vehicle could be driven, instead of towed or carried, to this dump and not put the driver in any unnecessary risk.

Just because you are paranoid, does not mean that you are NOT being watched!

Uranprojekt #28 Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:47 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8338 battles
Here's a question for you Turkey Son, why would American troops use a captured SdKfz 251? America produced it's own halftrack, the M3, in large numbers (over 43,000). That's almost 3x the amount of SdKfz 251's produced (roughly 15,500). It just doesn't make sense. The majority of M3 halftracks would have been in service in the European theater. It was a lame attempt at subversion to paint a hammer and sickle on the side of the Maus to fool allied spies into thinking it was a Russian prototype captured by the Germans on the Eastern front, but the Germans did it anyway. Trying to make the Panther look like an M10 tank destroyer isn't going to fool anyone with half a brain but, once again, the Germans did it anyway. When you're fighting a war and it's clear that you're losing, you'll try anything to gain an advantage.  

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

I write things, things which can be found in Historical Discussions. Things like this article on the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945 and this article on the Spanish Civil War.

To those of you who don't molest the English language, I salute you. For everyone else, there's this handy link; http://www.reverso.n...elling-grammar/

MegaB0B0 #29 Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9991 battles

They abandon a lot of tanks and support vehicles because the lack of fuel.

Us captured a lot of them, a lot of the tiger 2s got blow up by crews parked at side of roads as well. 

Hitler believes in best defensive is offensive hence the offensive was born, had all those men and hardware used in the east, the defense of Berlin would have last a week or two longer... As allies basically didn't lost any ground because of the whole operation. 

That one bounced... WTF..not at 100m and not twice in a roll and not on the side of a Walfe-100 with a BL-10!!!

Papaglyde #30 Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:14 AM

Private

• Players
  • 12724 battles
Very well put together article and many kudos for taking the time to post, however the last large scale offensive was Unternehman Fruhlingserwachen (Spring Awakening) March 1945, Hungary. This is where the 6 Pz Armee was transferred to after the Battle of the Bulge was deemed a losing proposition. The operation involved the 6(SS) Pz Armee( new designation), 2 Pz Armee, and 6 Armee. Please don't take this the wrong way but I just wanted to make note of this. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users