Need Iron Rain play help (and in general)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

SmalltalkJava #1 Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:48 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 20121 battles

I need help playing the Iron Rain.   Could any of you better players post a video of about 10 straight solo games on it?    I see a lot of single uber games on youtube but those are generally hand picked games, I think.  I’ve been trying to get better but I’m pretty much plateaued with it (and for all tanks).

https://www.wotstars.com/xbox/538674/tank/36625

LiteralComic635 #2 Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:01 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 1943 battles

I don't consider myself a 'better' player but the Iron Rain is fantastic for hiding out where you can easily back or move to cover and stay still until other tanks Drive into your line of sight. You can't snapshot well on the move, and aim time is your enemy. Snipe, snipe again, and try to stay away from the Reds as much as possible.

ChubbyBuckle06 

ThermalStone #3 Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:41 AM

Major

• Players
  • 34562 battles
  • [80085]
Prammo and camo.  Never go anywhere alone.  I always feel like I could have done more if the tank moved faster or aimed better or loaded quicker but it hits so damn hard that I am top three in damage anyway.  

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

swindle 321 #4 Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:42 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40409 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

View PostSmalltalkJava, on 26 March 2020 - 10:48 PM, said:

I need help playing the Iron Rain.   Could any of you better players post a video of about 10 straight solo games on it?    I see a lot of single uber games on youtube but those are generally hand picked games, I think.  I’ve been trying to get better but I’m pretty much plateaued with it (and for all tanks).

https://www.wotstars.com/xbox/538674/tank/36625

The Iron Rain's just not very good, the gun isn't great, the reload is long and if you get caught out of position you're done. I'd like to help but I playing that tank for 10 games straight wouldn't be something that I could do, it'd be a tedious task because the tank's awful, you should check out some twitch streams and ask people to play it if you're wanting to see what a normal game looks like in it.

C9HMiZt.png

3rd Marks                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                YouTube

BigZoomBear #5 Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:01 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 54330 battles

Don't get spotted, be patient, learn where all the best sniping positions are, never go anywhere alone where a light can give you the circle of death and remember that you are a support tank.

"It's all about the K/D ratio, it must be at least 2.1 and avg. kills 1.7" - Rommel;  "Winning matters, not WN8" - Churchill;

"MoEs are worthless if your win rate is below 60%" - Montgomery; "The useless are the most vocal and critical" - a fact well known.

Medals: 3 Pools, 6 Oskins, 12 Orliks, 33 Radleys, 72 Kolos, 100 Devastators, 1563 Top Guns, 2968 High Cal. Survivor: 41, Invincible: 19 battles.

spuddud987654321 #6 Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:32 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17810 battles
  • [KBT]
Both the iron rain and skorpion g suffer from the same problem.  No armor t8 td that see tens.  Can you have good games in them?  Sure.  Is it common? No.  Trick is to stay at that magic 410 meter range.  The vision spotted game does not work on all maps and the gun on the iron rain is a bit derpy. I'd say for the avg player 1500 is about what you should expect per game.  Can you pull down the 4k game sometimes ?  Yep.  But don't expect it.  The outlier games you see on YouTube are there for a reason.

BR M95 OE #7 Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16937 battles

I would say after 83 games in the Iron Rain, it is very much situational.

Too far - poor accuracy

Too close -  back to the garage

You want to try and find that middle ground which can be tricky to work out.

Stealth - use it! You can get close in some situations (dependent on crew skills) and make use of good sniper spots plus bushes etc.

Patience is essential - do not let the inaccurate gun fool you into getting too close to the enemy.

Awareness - monitor what’s going on and try to play the supporting role, never try to rush.

I reckon majority of the time I’m camping in a bush (not far away from the action but) and chipping away where I can, reacting the situation of the battle as it unfolds. 

It isn’t the easiest of tanks to play but I’ve had a good run with it, averaging 2200 damage and 6100 max damage.

- Make It Relevant - Let Each Rank Give More XP - Pls WGA!

tokyobatman #8 Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:38 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13818 battles
  • [NOPE]
I enjoy the td most of the time, but you will need good mates to have fun with it. Let me say I am a below average player in WG.  I have 157 games with mine and a 52.8 win rate..  I give all that credit to my clan mates who cover me during the reloads.  My average damage is about 1k, but on some games I can break 3k.  I run cam net, bino and improve aim time.  Stay back and use the good camo rating (get behind bush or rocks ), reload if you have time and only have 1 shot in clip, watch the mini map and try to make every shot count. City maps, it's pretty much over, but in open maps you can have a lot of fun.  ( You can clip out T6 or T7 sometimes )….:great:

SmalltalkJava #9 Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:34 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 20121 battles
Thanks for the info!

ThermalStone #10 Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34562 battles
  • [80085]

Let's be clear:  despite the drawbacks it is an amazingly good tank.  Highest damage per game out of all my tier 8s. It has the alpha damage and penetration to be a threat to tier 10s.  It has the clip to trade 3 massive shots for one when forced to brawl and can clip out almost all same tier tanks.  It has the camouflage that missing a shot or two at long range doesn't matter because you won't have to trade hit points. 

Like any autoloader it rewards skillful play and punishes potatoes.  You need to read the flow of battle and be in the right spot to dump a clip.  You need to plan your retreat and reload so you aren't focused down.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

allhavoc #11 Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:39 PM

Major

• Players
  • 53466 battles
  • [10SR]

Fight with the hull facing backwards.  This will allow you to escape to cover quickly and hides the engine, which is in the front.

I don't have an Iron Rain, but this works in the borsig.

[10SR]  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users