Merc Bottleneck - Is this the Worst?

merc contract

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

loki131313 #1 Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:56 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 31269 battles

So I've been going back and getting the Merc Tanks that I missed the first time around. And there is a satisfying sameness (IMO) to the Merc requirements.

Stages 1-4 are easy.

Stages 7-8 are a grind. It's just a question of getting the XP (sometimes, kills for stage 7). 

But basically, there are never any real hardships to those stages. The bottleneck stage, as far as I'm concerned, is always 5 and 6, when they throw in some type of idiot requirement.

You know, Duelist. Confederate. Top Gun. Light a tank on fire. That sort of thing. 

And they are annoying! Top Gun, for example, is kind of annoying, but I have a few "go to" tanks that I can generally get it in.

Lighting a tank on fire? Also really annoying, but it will happen.

But I think, grinding the Roundabout, that I found the worst one.

Arsonist/Demolitionist. 

I was grinding, and grinding, and finally, TANK ON FIRE! YES! 

But guess what? Arsonist requires that the tank is killed because it's on fire. Hmmm.

Since then, I keep lighting things on fire (here and there, not every round). And either:

A. I do it first, so the fire goes out before they explode.

B. A ... helpful .... teammate kills them before the fire does.

C. The red uses one of the approximately 300 billion fire extinguishers that has been handed out with the ops over the last year.

I don't even want the Roundabout as a tank. I just want to finish this friggin' stage.

So, I think that this is the worst bottleneck. Anyone have a different opinion?

mr_rainmaker777 #2 Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:58 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 40033 battles
High calibers are the worse,some one cant drive and always hits your tank out of spawn or shoots you,or in a fight blocks your tank pulling in front of your shot.... :angry:

loki131313 #3 Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:00 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 31269 battles

View Postmr_rainmaker777, on 14 May 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

High calibers are the worse,some one cant drive and always hits your tank out of spawn or shoots you,or in a fight blocks your tank pulling in front of your shot.... :angry:

Darnit! I meant High Caliber, not Top Gun, in my post!

You still get High caliber if you physically hit a Greenie, it's only shooting them that denies you. 

tankmurdoc #4 Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:05 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 48898 battles
The easiest is top gun.

Tempest fox3 #5 Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:15 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 23207 battles
  • [JOCO]

View Postmr_rainmaker777, on 14 May 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

That doesn't affect your ability to get a High caliber. 

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131, Skoda T25, Boilermaker, Sentinel AC4 Experimental, M41B Brazil- In order obtained

Spoiler

RELIC x #6 Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:22 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 28789 battles
  • [47R]

Go for an ammo rack kill instead, and maybe you'll still burn someone down. 

I recommend high alpha TDs for the demo expert, since you can occasionally get it with a single hit.  I've had good players pop my turret by hitting my ammo rack twice in a row with mediums and lights, but I just don't aim that well.

Given the stage requirements below, my choice would be the SU-100, ISU-152 or Borsig.   It would still take me quite awhile...

As to your questions on the worst bottleneck, for me that would be a High Caliber in a light.  I don't even start those contracts.

Stage 6

• Earn 18000 or more XP in any number of battles
  • Earn a Demolition Expert or Arsonist medal in battle

Play any Soviet, German, American or Mercenary; Light Tanks or Tank Destroyers; Tiers IV - X

HighSpyker #7 Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:35 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 39490 battles
  • [IRN]

View Postloki131313, on 14 May 2020 - 10:56 AM, said:

So I've been going back and getting the Merc Tanks that I missed the first time around. And there is a satisfying sameness (IMO) to the Merc requirements.

Stages 1-4 are easy.

Stages 7-8 are a grind. It's just a question of getting the XP (sometimes, kills for stage 7). 

But basically, there are never any real hardships to those stages. The bottleneck stage, as far as I'm concerned, is always 5 and 6, when they throw in some type of idiot requirement.

You know, Duelist. Confederate. Top Gun. Light a tank on fire. That sort of thing. 

And they are annoying! Top Gun, for example, is kind of annoying, but I have a few "go to" tanks that I can generally get it in.

Arsonist/Demolitionist. 

But guess what? Arsonist requires that the tank is killed because it's on fire. Hmmm.

Since then, I keep lighting things on fire (here and there, not every round). And either:

C. The red uses one of the approximately 300 billion fire extinguishers that has been handed out with the ops over the last year.

I don't even want the Roundabout as a tank. I just want to finish this friggin' stage.

I do think Arsonist/Demolitionist is the hardest.  Especially if it's low tier/early stage, you might consider buying past it.

MaxMiner11 #8 Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:00 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 20242 battles
I got the Roundabout.  It is crappy.  Way too slow.

I think I used the Luchs for the arsonist.  I got it when I finally loaded apcr and shot the rear deck of an Absolution.

Tempest fox3 #9 Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:05 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 23207 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostMaxMiner11, on 14 May 2020 - 06:00 PM, said:

I got the Roundabout. It is crappy. Way too slow.

I think I used the Luchs for the arsonist. I got it when I finally loaded apcr and shot the rear deck of an Absolution.

The roundabout is on a Luchs hull. Does 58kmph and had 19.8 horsepower per ton. How is it 'slow'? 

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131, Skoda T25, Boilermaker, Sentinel AC4 Experimental, M41B Brazil- In order obtained

Spoiler

N6X507 #10 Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:05 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 973 battles
  • [AMXS]

The only requirement I failed to achieve was the High Caliber medal of the Chisel's stage V;

My tank selection was scarce, Vengeance T25, T34, The Machine. I later purchased the Patriot hoping to do better, but no.

What makes it exceptional is that you are competing with the other team, and even if you make the most damage, you still have to be above 20% of the total hit points of the bandit team.

Therefore, you are not fully in control of "playing to get the medal", unlike other medals, there are more random parameters that come into play.

I have had High Caliber medals, but never with any of the eligible tanks for the stage of that contract.

Haukkis #11 Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 37390 battles

View PostTempest fox3, on 14 May 2020 - 08:05 PM, said:

The roundabout is on a Luchs hull. Does 58kmph and had 19.8 horsepower per ton. How is it 'slow'? 

Isn't that bit slow for a light tank? 

Tempest fox3 #12 Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:31 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 23207 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostHaukkis, on 14 May 2020 - 07:26 PM, said:

Isn't that bit slow for a light tank? 

Rounderbout is a TD. Kind of like a tier 4 Hellcat. 

In hindsight he's probably referring to the turret traverse speed. Which is a trait it shares with the Hellcat. 

Spoiler

Spike1958 #13 Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:35 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 40488 battles
I think any of the stages that require x number of kills while you are unspotted are the worst to achieve.

loki131313 #14 Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:00 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 31269 battles

View PostSpike1958, on 14 May 2020 - 07:35 PM, said:

I think any of the stages that require x number of kills while you are unspotted are the worst to achieve.

Weirdly, the Roundabout ALSO has one of those!

It's just a crappy contract .... for a bad Tier IV. 

CostlessSun07 #15 Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:14 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32819 battles
Arsonist or demolition expert.  I think I blew up someones ammo rack for my award.  At least they give you an option. 

Mashed #16 Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:49 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40116 battles
I've played through all except the Hardcase & Tusk contracts.

The most annoying stages for me are usually 'Win 2 games in a row'.

MashedIT | YouTube

You only help your team mates, because they cannot be shot at, if they are dead.

GamerPaws #17 Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:59 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 23910 battles

View Postloki131313, on 14 May 2020 - 03:56 PM, said:

Stages 1-4 are easy.

Arsonist/Demolitionist. 

I made choice that i value my mental health more than mostly not so great mercenary tanks. If u wanna feel like u have another job then machine etc contract is way to go.

If u prefer peace in mind and soul forget about contracts its not worth it.

I was pissed off by som low level contracts, because it was annoying and i wanna rest and relax on days off and not loose shyte over getting tricky medals.

There s enough frustration allready from MM, teammates and WGCB way of balancing tanks. Dont need more than that.

“I don’t agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

hexine #18 Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27351 battles
yea its hard, just go after those KV 2

MaxMiner11 #19 Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:18 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 20242 battles

View PostTempest fox3, on 14 May 2020 - 11:05 AM, said:

It is indeed the turret, it must be a hand crank.

Every match my team seems to fold.  I get swarmed.  The roundabout can't really deal with close enemies.

Tier 4 this is quite common.

TulpeFracht26 #20 Posted 15 May 2020 - 03:06 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 71268 battles
  • [VGST]

i found the first versions acceptable it was more difficult to get a mercenary tank than currently.
At the moment I find it too easy, the Sharpshooter was the hardest and at the beginning not everyone did it and that was right.
Now the colleagues from wot have made the orders easier because comrades cried around for some tanks.
at that time you still had to drive the 2 x large-caliber medal with an reconnaissance, many of which failed.
It took me 8 days and business and I was really proud of it because many gave up.
I don't think that's right it should be difficult and one or the other fails because of that, that's life.
I find the same in the current gold panzer event. The players should please make the effort to earn and fight for it.
It is an absurdity that these tanks are in the shop at the same time. 
the one who didn't stick it was unlucky with the current model, nothing is exclusive anymore.
If they are sold 1 year later or if they are in the boxes by chance after the event or if someone has done 75% 
of the tasks but not the rest and the one who is then offered for sale after the end of the event, I could live with it.

Also tagged with merc, contract

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users