Tier 9 tank destroyers.

Opinion

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Sinladore #1 Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:49 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 4649 battles

Say i was wondering, and i thought it throw my opinion out there and see if others feel the same. But is it just me, or are most T9 tank destroyers pretty bad?.

Like most of them are so niche, that the moment they can't get the perfect matchmaking, they fall apart? To me some of them are as bad to play as a Type4 heavy on malinovka.

Let me name a few and my view on them.

T95: Now this tank is precious, and i think we all enjoy watching replayes with Jingles and circon about these behemoths doing stupid things and getting away with it. Only for us to try the same and get destroyed because forget you, only red team gets good players. But honestly, this thing is nothing but armor and a meaty gun. It is very easy to flank for obvious reason, and can be terribly painful to play if there is but one pig on the opposite team rubbing their greasy hands together at the sight of you. You are pretty much dedicated to 1 path and that one path alone, and if the enemy team lemming trained the other way, to bad for you, no exp ftw.

Waffle pz4: Honestly...i find the borseg to be more of a threat than this one. A borseg is like rambo out for your blood. The pz4 is the first guy to die in an aliens film.

T30: holy crap do i hate this thing. The only thing this creature got going for it, is alpha damage. A tier 7 hull worth of armor and a reverse speed that makes a Super heavy laugh? Oh boy lets not mention the accuracy and pricing of the rounds. Almost unlocked the E4, and this T30 won't just be kicked out the door, it will be fired out of the barrel of the E4.

Conway: i can't say if its me thats bad with it, or wthis going wrong for me with this thing. The turret just ruins it for me. I know i have to get used to the experience considering whats comming after. But i do not enjoy the conway, not one bit. But the bad armor on the turret and slow turret traverse, is really rustling my jimmies. But hey it does have a competitive gun, which is nice.

I could mention a few more examples, but i don't want this to be and over the top long thread.

Do tell me, if im just being a pleb here, or if any of my views are just somewhat correct.

Have good Day.

Eric_HaffaBee #2 Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:54 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20942 battles
Conway was okish, T95 was a arty magnet and died too easily unless in a perfect match up, Junior waffle - meh, no cover on our maps and painful to use as it's slow and gun depression is poor, T30 - really enjoyed  and kept it to two mark, Tortoise, hated it and burnt a lot of x3 exp to get through it as fast as possible.

If arty numbers 3 or more, A shitty game will be in store.

Koncorde #3 Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:55 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 26712 battles
Tier 9 is just the most problematic tier across the game for almost all tanks. Many of the tanks are good, many are solid at tier, but most also have some kind of glaring issue that is later resolved in the tier 10.

It doesn't help that they just haven't had any balancing when new tanks were added, and I suspect are designed to make the X's just feel that much better.

CatSnipah #4 Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:56 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29739 battles
  • [BNKR]

Obj 704 isn't bad.  I enjoyed playing through it, but I guess it says something that I don't have a crew in it anymore, and haven't since I moved up to the 268 several years ago.

No crew in my T30....no crew in my Conway....yep, definitely a trend.

EDIT - I still have a crew in the Tier 9 JagT - about the only tier 9 TD I'll play on occasion. And still rare occasion.

Edited by CatSnipah, 22 May 2020 - 09:01 PM.

DwarfOnDrugs #5 Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:57 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34775 battles
  • [-UNL-]

WZ: Godlike

T30: Literally a t29 with 155mm gun, not amazing but still good

WT: A very sneaky TD if used right

Conway: I liked the fact it plays like a medium 

T95: Bad but great

Jagd: Needs upper plate and super structure buff, recent penetration buffs make this vehicle awkward these days

Tortoise: If you can get it in to a corner engagement and have your cupola hidden you can out-trade anyone with ease and out dpm anything

SU: Awful

Obj: A bad WZ

What am i missing?

FusionStar287 #6 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:00 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20858 battles
  • [JOCO]

I adore both the T30 and the T95 (especially the latter). They both hit very hard and have very strong armor when played well, and each have their own advantages over the other (the T30 gets better mobility and flexibility while the T95 is an absolute fortress). They're also two of very few tier IX tanks I actually kept after finishing the grind to tier X. As for the Waffle Pz. IV, I do rather like it as well. I don't know for sure that I'd say it's better than the Borsig, but its much better mobility and better ROF/gun handling is certainly nice. At the very least I'd say it's a better tank than either of the two TDs after it. 

Also, I'll add that I really enjoyed both the Tortoise and the SU-122-54 when I grinded through them. The Tortoise was fun simply because it combines the best DPM in the game with 2k hit points at tier IX, and the SU-122-54 is just a good all-around TD for sniping and flanking enemies.

Really, the only three tier IX TDs I've played that I didn't like were the 103-0, the Object 704, and especially the Jagdtiger. The 103-0 isn't completely terrible but is far to reliant on the map and team to do anything, the Object 704 just feels like a worse T30/T95, and the Jagdtiger is just a giant, easily penned target that struggles to use its gun effectively in most positions.

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

matematicalone #7 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 4031 battles

View PostDwarfOnDrugs, on 22 May 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

WZ: Godlike

T30: Literally a t29 with 155mm gun, not amazing but still good

WT: A very sneaky TD if used right

Conway: I liked the fact it plays like a medium 

T95: Bad but great

Jagd: Needs upper plate and super structure buff, recent penetration buffs make this vehicle awkward these days

Tortoise: If you can get it in to a corner engagement and have your cupola hidden you can out-trade anyone with ease and out dpm anything

SU: Awful

Obj: A bad WZ

What am i missing?

Swede?

''There is no 'i' in team but there is in win.'', Michael Jordan

''If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.'', Muhammad Ali

1vs6 last man standing Kolobanov's

DwarfOnDrugs #8 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34775 battles
  • [-UNL-]

View Postmatematicalone, on 22 May 2020 - 09:00 PM, said:

Swede?

Pile of poop, didn’t even need to play it

deadmeat1027 #9 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:08 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18593 battles
  • [PCP]

A real problem is that our maps are small coridor based maps and the game play is fast so it makes them situational. Either you can't get into the fight because of slow speed or easily detected because maps don't have alot of foliage to make camo factor effective.

I prefer the s tanks at 9 and 10. They are mobile, great guns, and the armor can bounce if used correctly.

USSWISCONSIN94 #10 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 12560 battles
  • [47R]

704 is pretty stupid with it's troll armor. mainly those sides. Jagdtiger is wonderful with that upgraded 128mm (bit too much imo) T95 even with the nerfs it got still does fine. WZ-111 TD is lots of fun and is a fat ISU. T30 is my 1st 3MoE and i love her but she needs some buffs. Conway and I don't agree with each other. Rather play the Conq with the 120mm and the derp on it is stupid and shouldn't have come.

Oh SU-122-54 isn't very fun either. rather do a trade some of the RoF for better Gun Depression, gun stats and some other things too. though i played it more like a medium than a camo TD so there's that

http://www.wotinfo.n...N94&server=xbox

youtube.com/channel/UCkXtmp3Ikozzl-K73GuxxNQ

Will WG ever have WoT offline like they promised?

vHD JOKERZ #11 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:21 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33325 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

To be fair I have love all the tier 9 tank destroyer. Maybe apart from the doom turtle when I did play it.

OBJ.704 is probably among the top of the list, decent ish mobility, big punch of on the gun can always get the job done for me. 

T30 is much the same as the OBJ. Similar mobility, again punchy gun, turret is great for the tier and you can play it like a heavy (Which is probably the better way to play it)

Jagdtiger is probably my favorite hand down, especially after the speed buff. The Gun is just spot on, decent damage, good ROF and good DPM. The armour I will admit isn't great nowadays but when you do use the full gun depression and hide the hull it can still be difficult to dig out. 

WT auf Pz. IV Very stealthy target with a very reliable gun. When positioned correctly on maps it can be a nightmare to find but obviously as soon as you are spotted goodnight sweet Prince. 

SU-122-54 extremely mobile and allows a somewhat aggressive play style with good camo, Gun is a tad derpy but when positioned you can make advantage of the RoF of the 122mm gun.

Tortoise I want to like it, the DPM is off the charts for its tier but the thing that puts me constantly playing it is the speed. That combined with fragile armour and people knowing the weak spots inside and out really make it a struggle to play. 

Conway is fun to play, decent mobility allows you to get to positions in decent time. The good similar to the Tortoise is fantastic and the 5.5 inch is a meme gun. Thing is hilarious to use.

The Foch, WZ and STRV 103 I can't comment on really. WZ and S tank I don't own and the foch I haven't played in years. I was originally a TD player so I'm very comfortable using them and across the board tier 9 is the sweet spot of the tech trees

Spoiler

ScottyDubs77 #12 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:59 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18649 battles
Waffle is amazing once you get the playstyle down, basically driving everywhere backwards, I’ve got 700+ games and uni stats in it, one of the few tier 9s I kept, I enjoyed the tortoise as well but not nearly as much

JAG THE GEMINI #13 Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:22 PM

Major

• Players
  • 66960 battles
  • [FAUST]
Jagdtiger for LIFE!!:izmena:

My youtube channel:https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

Playertd #14 Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:24 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20532 battles
Cant name a better class at tier 9, all the ones I've tried are amazing.

4HPMvmm.jpg

I44I Warlock #15 Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 40808 battles
  • [I66I]

Jagdtiger is imo one of the best tanks ingame, i love that beast. Other than that, i have to say from all tier i likes the T9 td's the least. 

Su122-54 was terrible, Strv is too situational, T30 lacks off mobility with unreliable armor, Foch had too low reverse speed to play it aggressive, Tortoise is a big weakspot, T95 is too slow. Conway was ok but nothing special, basically a glass canon without camo. 

Bought back WZ and 704 to give then a second chance though. 

- Execute Order 66 -

3 marked tanks: 75

>Arty is op, takes no skill and is a toxic game mechanic. 

Server problems? It's your ISP. Or your houseplant, who knows. 

BigZoomBear #16 Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:40 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 55160 battles
I thought the Waffentrager was ok but I do prefer sniping over brawling. Didn't like the T30 at all - for the same reason.

"It's all about the K/D ratio, it must be at least 2.7 and avg. kills 1.7" - Rommel;  "Winning matters, not WN8" - Churchill;

"MoEs are worthless if your win rate is below 61%" - Montgomery; "The useless are the most vocal and critical" - a fact well known.

Medals: 3 Pools, 6 Oskins, 12 Orliks, 33 Radleys, 72 Kolos, 101 Devastators, 1591 Top Guns, 3004 High Cal. Survivor: 41, Invincible: 19 battles.

CamaroGuy96 #17 Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:49 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 11187 battles
The T30 is meh until you get the 155. Then it's great. The key is to follow other heavies. Let them trade shots with an enemy then you pop out and hit them for an extra 700 damage. I enjoy it.

XBOX ONE 

Garage has too many tanks to list now...

x_BAlN_x #18 Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:54 PM

Major

• Players
  • 64853 battles
Really like the Waffentrager and T-30. Just bought back the Conway. Haven't played it since the changes.

X1thebeast29X #19 Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:30 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17086 battles
  • [AVRG]
Jagdtiger is a bit out meta but still has insane gun and DPM, I'm finding the waffle to be somewhat hit or miss but I think it has a lot of potential when I get the big gun. The 704 I thought was pretty good when I played it. 

ScottyDubs77 #20 Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:42 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18649 battles

View PostX1thebeast29X, on 23 May 2020 - 04:30 PM, said:

Jagdtiger is a bit out meta but still has insane gun and DPM, I'm finding the waffle to be somewhat hit or miss but I think it has a lot of potential when I get the big gun. The 704 I thought was pretty good when I played it. 

Id recommend not using the 15, you get better ROF, depression while backed in, aim, higher dps and better overall flexibility with the 12.8.  Can check out my stats that’s all 12.8 except maybe 5 matches I tried the 15 in, it’s fun to troll and may save you once in a while late game but 12.8 is where it’s at  

Also tagged with Opinion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users