Tank

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

RabidSasquatch0 #1 Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:11 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 22630 battles
  • [VYPER]

So I get a lot of big derpy TD's; they're not my personal forte, but I usually don't have any issue with them (exp. My e3 has the single worst accuracy of any of my tier 10 tanks save arty.  I get that it's not supposed to hit every shot).  But this tank I just can understand.

It's got no accuracy.  Fully aimed on stationary targets, my pen percentage is something like 15%.  Probably 1/3 of shots get eaten by tracks (aim center mass, that's all you can hope for with the gun), and 50% just miss off into the abyss.

That, in conjunction with 0 gun flexibility (probably the worst rotation options of any td, my 122-54 works a lot better because the leagues better aim time/handling), no armor, poor camo and view range.... I just don't get the tank.  Sure the base pen at 286 is above average, but premium pen at 329 isn't anything to write home about (every medium in the game save the m46, e50, and some autoloaders get it), definitely not enough to center mass tanks like the accuracy makes you have to do (penning a maus with this is miserable).  The thing is, I didn't really have this issue with the isu-152.  Maybe it's because you aren't in a tier 10 game every match, but with a little less pen and even worse shell velocity (which is a joke on the 704, I feel like a crusader with the derp gun), I just don't get why this tank isn't working for me.

Any help is appreciated, tanks.

MANonMiSSiON317 #2 Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:16 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25067 battles
1. Aim at target
2. Don't aim fully
3. Scream RUSSIA while shooting
4. Enjoy result

RabidSasquatch0 #3 Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:20 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 22630 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostMANonMiSSiON317, on 24 May 2020 - 01:16 PM, said:

1. Aim at target
2. Don't aim fully
3. Scream RUSSIA while shooting
4. Enjoy result

that result has been ~600 average damage per game.  As fun as memes are, I do like occasionally winning the battle.

(Inb4 "you're not screaming loud enough/drinking enough vodka).

MANonMiSSiON317 #4 Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:24 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25067 battles
Just kidding. I like the Russian TDs played about 800 games on ISU 152.I think the 704 is easier to play because of +1 - 2 MM and its magic diamond shaped russian armor layout. Most effective way for me is bush camping and moving is mid to end game if the green tebis winning.

Red Dough Boy #5 Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:28 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 29062 battles
  • [_POI_]

Play support line more than trying to snipe, gun laying drive and a good crew is also necessary. If you hide the low plate the armor is actually pretty trolly, I remember bouncing more in this thing than I did when I played through the T95. It has been a while so I don't know if the tank has been nerfed, but the 704 is still one of the more threatening TD's I can think of at tier 9. Others may be more consistent, but that is a lot of alpha damage in a vehicle with decent speed. 

If you fire only premium rounds in the SU-122-54 I can see it being bearable, but overall that tank is the worst tier 9 TD and worst tier 9 I've played. It rotates well and is fast, but it has piss poor armor and a gun that's shared with a lot of heavy tanks but with almost no gun traverse. If the 263 was cut down to tier 9 I could see preferring that to the 704, but the Suck 122 is just so bad. 

If I only had a Baneblade....

RabidSasquatch0 #6 Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:47 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 22630 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostRed Dough Boy, on 24 May 2020 - 01:28 PM, said:

Play support line more than trying to snipe, gun laying drive and a good crew is also necessary. If you hide the low plate the armor is actually pretty trolly, I remember bouncing more in this thing than I did when I played through the T95. It has been a while so I don't know if the tank has been nerfed, but the 704 is still one of the more threatening TD's I can think of at tier 9. Others may be more consistent, but that is a lot of alpha damage in a vehicle with decent speed. 

If you fire only premium rounds in the SU-122-54 I can see it being bearable, but overall that tank is the worst tier 9 TD and worst tier 9 I've played. It rotates well and is fast, but it has piss poor armor and a gun that's shared with a lot of heavy tanks but with almost no gun traverse. If the 263 was cut down to tier 9 I could see preferring that to the 704, but the Suck 122 is just so bad. 

im not calling the 122 54 good by an means, it's just I find it far more flexible than the 704.  Sure the 704 gets a smidge more gun depression, but worse accuracy, aim time, shell velocity, etc.  The gun doesn't sit well on the platform for me at all.  The 704 can't do close range b/c the hull traverse is so spastic (better hull traverse than gun traverse + the 1-2 second server delay on here make it really difficult to time turning around a corner, since you have nothing visual to base your timing off of), and long range sucks because of the aforementioned shell velocity.

I try to be second line support, but being so slow and low to the ground make positioning difficult (can't camo if up in a bush, can't hull down, can't peak a boom), and more often than not teammates just push me/pull in front of me when I try to get myself in one of the few positions I can see the enemy without being flat out in the open.

My crew in if is pretty terrible (3 perk), which definitely doesn't help, that's probably my best hope for finding success with this tank.  Appreciate the input

atwilliams07 #7 Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:07 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35774 battles

View PostRed Dough Boy, on 25 May 2020 - 04:28 AM, said:

This is pretty much the way to play.  I love my OBJ704. Just travel behind heavies (Play second line) and don’t be the one to poke, but pre-aim on points where reds will poke and punish them when they do.  Typically they will only do that once when you have removed 750 hitpoints in one shot.  Do this to multiple targets and you have changed the game.  The “threat” of your gun is an important factor, so keep it in the game.  (I.e Be patient and look for opportunities, rather than rushing in).  When the numbers have thinned out, you can roll around corners and over ridges to start eliminating the remaining reds. 

If the base is open, this doesn’t work as well, so stay further back managing your view range, but you can still make an impact.  

(OBJ704 stats 54% WR; 1,800 average damage and climbing)

FromBravo2Kilo #8 Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:47 AM

Major

• Players
  • 23206 battles
  • [47R]

I would suggest putting a better crew in it (if you have one).  Clutch Breaking, Silent Drive, View Range, Camo, Track Repair, Off Road Drv will all help.  

Personally play my TDs aggressively.  I like being in the upper second line support, but I didn’t like OBJ 704.  Guess I’m in the minority camp here.  Never had a gun troll me as much as the 704 has!  Any red that was under 100 meters was safe.   I thought the armor wasn’t anything great either.   It’s probably one of my least favorite T IX’s TD’s.  

Also tagged with Tank

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users