19 replies to this topic

MaxChaos24-x #1 Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:37 PM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 13930 battles
  • [WGW]

POSTED ON BEHALF OF JEFF GREGG

Hey everyone!

My name is Jeff Gregg, and I am the Lead Designer on World of Tanks Valor.

Welcome to the first edition of an initiative we are doing called "Let's talk about tanks! WZ-132-1 edition".

The goal is to highlight specific tanks, one at a time, and really dig down into what makes them tick, how they are being used, and how approaches may be taken to improve them if necessary.

As you read you will see a lot of charts and data. All of this data compares the tank to every other tank of its tier over a sixty-day period. All data is pulled from Random Battles only.

Today we are looking at the WZ-132-1, a Chinese tier X light tank: Portal Link for WZ-132-1. Let's get started.

Battles and Popularity

The WZ-132-1

A tier X light tank with a 1080 horsepower 12150L8 engine and a max speed of 65, the WZ-132-1 is a great top-of-the-line scout.

How popular is it? It isn't. It is the least played tier X light tank.

So how is this tank doing with these players? Is it dominating? Is it suffering? According to the data, it is performing on an average of just under 51%. But look at the variance due to the low battle count; the range is from 47% all the way to 58% depending on the day:

Let's take a deeper look at the win rate. An average of win/loss doesn't tell us as much as some may think. The first thing we should do is evaluate WHO is using this tank when it comes to skill.

Below we see a grey curve (representing the skill of ALL players) and a blue curve (representing the skill of the players using this tank). The higher the curve, the more players at that skill level are using the tank. We can see that most players are right in the middle / are usually successful at ~ 50% win/loss. The lower the skill and the higher the skill, the fewer the players.

Now we might ask: "there are players with a 100% win rate?!" or "there are players with a 0% win rate?!" Those are likely players that played once in this tank and won or lost and then stopped. Super low occurrence outliers.

This tank (perhaps more than other tanks we have looked at) seems to be clearly biased to more skilled players. There is a lot of jaggedness in the curve, but in general, the tank leans towards higher skill use:

So now let's look at the tank's win/loss compared to skill. Below we see a grey line (the baseline for all skills at tier X) and a blue line (this tank). We can see that for almost every skill level, this tank seems to perform worse. This is very interesting considering the average win/loss. It means the average win/loss may be deceiving us a bit. But we need to look more.

Weapons

Let's take a look at some analysis of this tank's firepower:

Accuracy (hovers around 69%, dead middle for tier X lights):

The number of shots that pen their target (penetrates about 49% of its shots on average, but we can see variance due to low battle count):

Damage per shot that hits (about 260hp per hit which is in the middle for tier X light tanks, super high numbers in the graph below are the tier X SPGs):

Damage per shot that hits AND penetrates (about 370 which is the 2nd best damage-per-pen light at tier X, super high numbers in the graph below are the tier X SPGs):

Damage per battle (average of ~ 1,400 which is 2nd best for tier X light tanks, but note the variance):

Based on the above it looks like we can start to consider the following:

1. Statistically, on average the tank SEEMS balanced
  2. Also statistically, on average, when we look at skill, the tank SEEMS to perform poorly
  3. Our data for many stats are giving unreliable averages due to variance (such as win rate, penetration rate, and damage per battle)

Survival, etc.

Let's keep looking.

How often does this tank survive a match? Currently, the average survival is the highest for light tier X tanks at 24% but look at the variance below. It's all over the place.

How long does the tank live for in a match? It's about 4min and 27s (which is the highest for tier X lights, but again lots of variances):

How far does this tank move? Really far! But that's typical for light tanks of all tiers when compared to their companions:

Light tanks don't block much damage, and this one is no different:

Conclusions

Further Investigations

This is a conundrum. But there is more to look at. Let's compare the tank's win/loss before its weapon nerf when 4.6 was launched. We took a chunk of previous data (2 months, June and July 2018):

Battles

• Before the 4.6 nerf: Least played Light Tank at Tier X in terms of battle count
  • Current: Still least played Light Tank at Tier X in terms of battle count

Win Rate

• Before the 4.6 nerf: Just over 52% on average.
  • Current: Just under 51% on average.

Damage output

• Before the 4.6 nerf: Around 1,650 per battle
  • Current: Around 1,400 per battle

Survival Rate:

• Before the 4.6 nerf: 45% survival rate
  • Current: 24% survival rate

THAT is interesting. Let's see more on survival:

Damage Blocked:

• Before the 4.6 nerf: About 140 per battle
  • Current: About 130 per battle

Lifespan:

• Before the 4.6 nerf: About 5min
  • Current: 4min 27s

Popularity:

• Before the 4.6 nerf: Not much data, very saw-toothed variance that seems to indicate skilled preference with a large margin of error.
  • Current: More data (still not a ton) but a bit more of an expected distribution of skill, leaning towards skilled.
    • pCE1sAg.jpg

Action Items

Based on this we plan on doing the following:

• Revert the nerf to the gun's reload: FROM 12.2 → BACK TO 10.7

This is a change we need to watch as the tank statistically seems to perform fine from win/loss but is suffering for skill levels. The change will be made and we will see if this makes the tank better or OP (and if it changes the tank's usage / increases its usage).

The above changes will take place on June 16th.

In order to measure the impact of these changes once they are committed, we need at least 5,000 battles in the tank(s) to have enough data. Once we have that amount of info, we will report back here on what the results were and (if necessary) what the next steps will be.

If you have feedback about this process or have further questions, reach out! Stay tuned here for results of the test and for what the next tank we focus on is.

See you on the battlefield!

MaxChaos24-x #2 Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:20 AM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 13930 battles
  • [WGW]
The article is now live. 

DwarfOnDrugs-x #3 Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:25 AM

Major

• Players
  • 36361 battles
  • [-UNL-]
A great change.

MASHMAN 90-x #4 Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:27 AM

Major

• WoTC Community Ambassador
  • 39666 battles
  • [AP-EX]
Nice change :)

Icaro_Leal #5 Posted 15 June 2020 - 12:56 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 22932 battles
  • [3OOBR]
Great!!!

Crazyfatguy87 #6 Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:41 PM

Private

• Players
  • 35296 battles
  • [ASYLM]

Bout time this tank has been rough for way too long 

Mael_Colum-p #7 Posted 15 June 2020 - 02:10 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 8050 battles
  • [RETR0]
Not just a very welcome change which makes the tank worth the grind again (I had paused to await buffs), but a really clear explanation of why the change was necessary. Good stuff.

TancDeCurseRO-p #8 Posted 15 June 2020 - 03:05 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15702 battles

WZ-131-1 will always be the Type 59 of tier X. Sadly.

This tank is good at nothing compared to all the other light tanks.

400m view range & BAD CAMO RATING! 

"punchy gun" & 5 DEGREES OF GUN DEPRESSION AND BAD DISPERSION VALUES

good engine power & WORST TOP SPEED OF ALL

"good armor" & GETS OVERMARCHED BY 76mm+ GUNS

That's why nobody plays with it. 

Change my mind! 

Edited by Jinlord_Gaming, 15 June 2020 - 06:00 PM.
Cursing and profanities

✭✭✭STB-1✭✭✭Object140✭✭✭Pz.Kpfw. VII✭✭✭FV215b✭✭✭Chieftain Mk.6✭✭✭60TP✭✭✭WZ-113G FT✭✭✭

Cellek_PL #9 Posted 15 June 2020 - 03:13 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 35841 battles
  • [N0CAP]

I have a question to publish avarage tank's statistics in comparision to other popular/similar tanks in same class (not all tanks or even tier) . Example: compare overall statistics of WZ-132-1 with statistics of sheridan, amx 13-105, T-100LT. In light tanks it is crucial to compare assited damage too. Then we might see, that tank is better or worse then other ones the same tier and class. I would be interested too see avarage differences between those tanks of the same player.

I have 3 MoE on almost every light tank (except WZ-132_1 :) and 5 other LT), so i know how to play light tanks.

My comparision  of WZ-132-1 with Sheridan on 277 BATTLES:

Sheridan        WZ-132-1
Vehicles Destroyed                               411                   309
Hit Ratio                                                73.36%             72.58%
Damage Caused                                   726.05k            599.28k
Kills/Death                                              2.1                   1.66
Damage Caused / Received                  1.87                  1.68
AVG Vehicles Destroyed per Battle        1.48                  1.12
AVG Damage Caused per Battle           2.61k                2.16k

winrate                                                    56%                57%

We can easlly say that WZ-132-1 is terrible tank in comparision to sheridan. I wonder if other players have the same huge differences or it's just me. Winrate, Hit Ratio, survival rate is almost the same and (because) it doesn't really matter how tank is performing on the battlefield. In my opinion, the most important are average damage dealt and for light tanks avg spot (assisted) damage.

Best regards,

Cellek_PL

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....wQbNz1UDNmX0gQQ

Pontiac Pat-x #10 Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27978 battles
  • [47R]
IMO, the key issue with this tank is that it plays more like a medium than a light.  It has the worst camo/view combo of all tier 10 lights, which means it is always going to be out spotted by other lights.  Therefore it is forced to play more cautiously and more medium like.  This is born out in the data posted above.  The increased dpm will allow it to play that hybrid light-medium role reasonably enough, but just understand that when the average damage rises into medium tank territory it is as it should be for this hybrid.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe

AnonymousHobo69-x #11 Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:50 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 43256 battles
  • [CH1MP]
It's not a good scout. People survive longer in it because they play it like a sniping medium because of the subpar camo and dpm means you won't be able to stay hidden or win gun fights. Buff the gun handling and accuracy if you're not going to buff the view range or camo. Glad it got it's old reload back.
I have ascended.

TROCKS-x #12 Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:02 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 21576 battles
  • [47R]
Great points - definitely happy to see this DPM nerf reverted and give this tank a chance to be played again. It does have a unique playstyle among the tier 10 lights because of its other limitations so I hope WG takes that into account when looking at this tank going forward.

KILLJOYinc #13 Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:04 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 33938 battles
Thanks for removing the DMP nerf. Couple of suggestions if the side skirts could be made thicker or multilayer it would help in it's role as a aggressive scout. The thin side armor is incredibly easy to pen even with extremely poor aim. Second since it is a 105mm L7 gun a hesh round would extremely useful. Cheers

Ghoest9-p #14 Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:24 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19820 battles

It feels like the Devs dont understand why this tank outperforms other lights.

But players do.

The reason is - its bad at yoloing. 

We know this tank just cant cut it zipping around the battlefiend - so we dont even try. Instead everyone plays it smart. 

I have all the lights - I speak from experience. 

Another way to look at it - make the WZ drive a like an AMX  and the win rate will drop. 

Edited by Ghoest9, 16 June 2020 - 12:00 PM.

Cellek_PL #15 Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:58 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 35841 battles
  • [N0CAP]

Pontiac Pat,

Maybe you are right, but I dont think that wz 132-1 it is better to play like medium/snipe. From the same shooting  positions in same game if you had obj. 140, leopard, amx 30 or any other X tier medium you would make twice more damage. WZ 132-1 is worse in every aspect. I try to play WZ 132 like light tank (spot is priority), but when it comes to shooting it miss lot of shots...

Best regards,

Cellek_PL

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....wQbNz1UDNmX0gQQ

Ghoest9-p #16 Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:20 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19820 battles

View PostCellek_PL, on 16 June 2020 - 07:58 AM, said:

Pontiac Pat,

Maybe you are right, but I dont think that wz 132-1 it is better to play like medium/snipe. From the same shooting  positions in same game if you had obj. 140, leopard, amx 30 or any other X tier medium you would make twice more damage. WZ 132-1 is worse in every aspect. I try to play WZ 132 like light tank (spot is priority), but when it comes to shooting it miss lot of shots...

You are confusing 2 points.

1 Does it help the team more when played like a medium

vs 

2 Is it a good medium.

On the majority of maps playing a light as medium that avoids being shot for the majority of the fight helps the team more.  Theres only a few maps  where mobile spotting is important  for most of the fight. 

PinkNinjaGrl-x #17 Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:57 AM

Corporal

• WoTC Community Contributor
  • 11947 battles
  • [UNTD]
Since it's a scout, what are the scouting stats? Such as spotting assist averages? 

TancDeCurseRO-p #18 Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:01 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15702 battles

The posts above say that the WZ should be played more like a medium tank. Ok.

Too bad all the other tier X light tanks can do that, and do it better.

Chinese lines will remain crippled as long as those gun Dispersion values remain as they are. 

Why play WZ like a medium tank when there's 100LT autoaiming and penning from 400m at 70km/h?

WG is blind. Unbelievable. 

"play it like a medium" - it can't even pen a E100 lower plate from 100m:teethhappy:

✭✭✭STB-1✭✭✭Object140✭✭✭Pz.Kpfw. VII✭✭✭FV215b✭✭✭Chieftain Mk.6✭✭✭60TP✭✭✭WZ-113G FT✭✭✭

TancDeCurseRO-p #19 Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:04 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15702 battles

Imo

The only way to make people play this tank is to lower the DPS of all the other tier x light tanks. 

Only this could justify the mere gun dispersion that that poor 105mm gun has. 

TancDeCurseRO-p #20 Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:39 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15702 battles

Increase penetration on APCR & HEAT & HE (258mm but eliminate shell penetration drop for this tank) 

Increase Shell Velocity on APCR (~1300m/s)

Improve Gun Handling Stats (40%)

Extend View Range (410m)

Improve Side Armor (40mm)

Any combination of these changes will popularize the tank. As you can see I didn't mention Mobility. I get it that, in the end, this is more like a medium tank. But in order to play it more like a medium tank you have to have a bit more firepower than other light tanks. 

In it's current form, it can't even penetrate E100's lower plate from 100m. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users