Notification for being targeted by Artillery.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

haydonut421 #1 Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:12 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14898 battles
There should be a notification for when an arty is aiming at you so you know that you need to take evasive action. There is already a system for the an actual tank is looking at you, but not the sky clickers that one shot you with no warning. I play with a headset on, and half the time, the arty shells don't even make any noise when they are flying towards you. This could also be added as a new skill similar to how sixth sense works. The problem with that is that new players wouldn't have this advantage, and new players need all the help they can get. This would even make arty a little higher skill cap because then arty would benefit from not looking directly at their target, then flicking onto them when they are loaded. An indirect fire enemy, especially one that can one shot you, should have a telegraphed attack. A telegraphed attack counters the fact that they can kill you from cover. If the arty shells were really loud and took longer to reach their target, then that would suffice, but I think the targeted by arty notification would be better. Of course this is just a band aid to how broken arty is, but its a step in the right direction. 

SPUK4U #2 Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:45 AM

Major

• Players
  • 14823 battles

I play also with headset and I hear artillery shooting and I can tell when I need to stop camping in open. The thing is that you don't hear the shell when it starts it's final dive. I think it's due to lag, but you hear enough to start moving or ignore it if it's not shooting in your general direction.  It's not everyone's cup of tea, but playing artillery has helped me to get better to avoiding artillery shells. 

You are right that those new players need all the help they can so here is some hints for new player:  If new player suffer from getting required kills for daily ops artillery is there to help you too, you can get that missing medium tank or heavy tank kill just by focusing on tanks with low health.  I got my all daily ops done fast tanks to having artillery in my garage. Also, If you play artillery and want to win more, pay attention to MoE marks in tank barrels. If you see a tank with three or two MoE marks, focus on it as it's most likely a good player or aggressive player that tries to MoE his tank using premium ammo and food. One MoE mark means that player is average with tank, ignore those and try to find good players before they do lot of damage, take them out and you help your team to win more.  This last one gets you hate message and people crying how artillery is broken, but truth is that you just helped your team to win and reseted some poor unicums MoE stat. 

Edited by SPUK4U, 30 June 2020 - 07:13 AM.

-- Ask, Observe, Learn and Improve --

HeviMetalHamstr #3 Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:33 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3163 battles

No sorry I disagree. It's hard enough with RNG to get a shell to land on target, if every time you even look in its direction a target gets a reminder to move then arty will hit nothing.

radonism #4 Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:33 AM

Major

• Players
  • 19420 battles

Yes! I posed something similar in another thread. 

Whilst I think this should be a built in feature to all tankers or crews, having as a skill would be a fall back option. 

Currently, artillery is the only class in the game that can aim at someone without triggering targeted. I would suggest that most who argue that is fine and how it should be are very likely arty players not wanting their little crutch taken away. 

Failing that, let's just even it all up. Arty do not get to use Sixth Sense or Targeted at all in any situation. Seems fair, right?

tokyobatman #5 Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:22 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15651 battles
  • [NOPE]

Well, if we are going to do that and  make it almost impossible for arty to hit tanks, since they will move at first warning. They lets give arty a 12 second reload and accuracy at .23 with massive splash damage..    The only thing that helps arty having a target not know it's being targeted.  They need other tanks to spot for them, most are slow with a long reload. Yes, people will be chiming in about how ridiculous my changes are, but so is wanting to basically give every tank the advantage and make arty obsolete. If you have ever played arty then you know how hard it is to hit tanks in the game.  A lot of our maps are not arty friendly, if your team is not paying attention, then a light drives right up the middle in the first 15 seconds and bye arty.  Arty is not the issue IMO...

Edited by tokyobatman, 30 June 2020 - 12:44 PM.

“I disapprove with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

SPUK4U #6 Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:27 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14823 battles

View Postradonism, on 30 June 2020 - 10:33 AM, said:

Yes! I posed something similar in another thread. 

Whilst I think this should be a built in feature to all tankers or crews, having as a skill would be a fall back option. 

Currently, artillery is the only class in the game that can aim at someone without triggering targeted. I would suggest that most who argue that is fine and how it should be are very likely arty players not wanting their little crutch taken away. 

Failing that, let's just even it all up. Arty do not get to use Sixth Sense or Targeted at all in any situation. Seems fair, right?

I would love to have a warning in tanks that are detected and sitting still, something like crew getting nervous and saying, "We should get moving, were sitting ducks out here."   If I recall right there is already crew voice that warns when artillery shell explodes near the tank.

radonism #7 Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:30 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19420 battles

View Posttokyobatman, on 30 June 2020 - 12:22 PM, said:

The only thing that helps arty having a target not know it's being targeted.  

Exactly. Just goes to show how poor the arty implementation is in this game. 

Whilst I know WOTC is an arcade game not a simulator, everything else in the game is loosely based on reality... except arty.

As such, I would suggest that for arty to retain it's "invisible targeting" crutch that they should lose the God view. Spotters would give coordinates, crosses on the map if you like.

Arty would only "see" tanks with direct line of sight. 

That would be fair to all classes I think. A balanced battlefield, with links to reality. 

radonism #8 Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19420 battles

View PostSPUK4U, on 30 June 2020 - 12:27 PM, said:

I would love to have a warning in tanks that are detected and sitting still, something like crew getting nervous and saying, "We should get moving, were sitting ducks out here."   If I recall right there is already crew voice that warns when artillery shell explodes near the tank.

That's a good suggestion. Be great to see that in game as it might prompt the serial campers to actually move off spawn occasionally. 

Haukkis #9 Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:25 PM

Major

• Players
  • 37369 battles

View Posthaydonut421, on 30 June 2020 - 02:12 AM, said:

There should be a notification for when an arty is aiming at you so you know that you need to take evasive action. There is already a system for the an actual tank is looking at you, but not the sky clickers that one shot you with no warning. I play with a headset on, and half the time, the arty shells don't even make any noise when they are flying towards you. This could also be added as a new skill similar to how sixth sense works. The problem with that is that new players wouldn't have this advantage, and new players need all the help they can get. This would even make arty a little higher skill cap because then arty would benefit from not looking directly at their target, then flicking onto them when they are loaded. An indirect fire enemy, especially one that can one shot you, should have a telegraphed attack. A telegraphed attack counters the fact that they can kill you from cover. If the arty shells were really loud and took longer to reach their target, then that would suffice, but I think the targeted by arty notification would be better. Of course this is just a band aid to how broken arty is, but its a step in the right direction. 

I'll disagree. In fact, they should removed whole "Targeted" warning message, it's bad for the gameplay.

SPUK4U #10 Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:40 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14823 battles

View PostHaukkis, on 30 June 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

I'll disagree. In fact, they should removed whole "Targeted" warning message, it's bad for the gameplay.

Yes I agree. Targeted warning makes game really ease for players that know how to use it. This is why some people are crying that they want to have target warning also for artillery, it would help them sit still even longer while they are detected. They should rename Targeted to Detected and make it work like 6th sense, but with 3s delay.   This way 6th sense would not be so powerful skill anymore and new players would also automatically know when they are detected. 

tokyobatman #11 Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:34 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15651 battles
  • [NOPE]

View Postradonism, on 30 June 2020 - 07:30 AM, said:

Exactly. Just goes to show how poor the arty implementation is in this game. 

Whilst I know WOTC is an arcade game not a simulator, everything else in the game is loosely based on reality... except arty.

As such, I would suggest that for arty to retain it's "invisible targeting" crutch that they should lose the God view. Spotters would give coordinates, crosses on the map if you like.

Arty would only "see" tanks with direct line of sight. 

That would be fair to all classes I think. A balanced battlefield, with links to reality. 

I would disagree with the statement wot is loosely based on reality..  Let's start with Merc tank and move on to the other questionable tanks.. I believe arty is good for the game,  but if your going to nerf it to useless,  then let's do it for all tanks. Every tank has a pro-con.  
 “I disapprove with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

radonism #12 Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:51 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19420 battles

View Posttokyobatman, on 30 June 2020 - 10:34 PM, said:

I would disagree with the statement wot is loosely based on reality..  Let's start with Merc tank and move on to the other questionable tanks.. I believe arty is good for the game,  but if your going to nerf it to useless,  then let's do it for all tanks. Every tank has a pro-con.  

Mechanics, not content. That's what is loosely based on reality. 

Kind of like Light Tanks getting an "invisibility mode" they can instigate that lasts for 30 seconds. Would be weird / unfair but just fanciful as artillery getting a top down God view.

Gallant Prime #13 Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:15 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 49458 battles
  • [47R]

The bad part is this would just lead to cries that arty targeted me all game.  

Or worse, arty shoots at others more in the open, but because you are in a dangerous tank, watches you during the reload so you think you are targeted all game.  It would stifle play even more so.  

haydonut421 #14 Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:35 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14898 battles

View PostHeviMetalHamstr, on 30 June 2020 - 04:33 AM, said:

No sorry I disagree. It's hard enough with RNG to get a shell to land on target, if every time you even look in its direction a target gets a reminder to move then arty will hit nothing.

Derp TDs can still do well even tho enemies alerted when the derp TDs aim at them

haydonut421 #15 Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:40 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14898 battles

View PostGallant Prime, on 30 June 2020 - 10:15 PM, said:

Or worse, arty shoots at others more in the open, but because you are in a dangerous tank, watches you during the reload so you think you are targeted all game.  It would stifle play even more so.  

People arty know if arty targets them the entire game because the shells would be raining down on them the whole time.

FusionStar287 #16 Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:41 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 21396 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostGallant Prime, on 30 June 2020 - 10:15 PM, said:

This is exactly what I think would happen as well. Good SPG players could deter enemies from moving out of cover or pushing forward without even needing to fire their gun, and as you said it would lead to even more complaints by players who don't know how to deal with enemy arty effectively.

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

Otis Z Firefly #17 Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:49 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 25226 battles
  • [FRFLY]

View PostFusionStar287, on 01 July 2020 - 03:41 AM, said:

This is exactly what I think would happen as well. Good SPG players could deter enemies from moving out of cover or pushing forward without even needing to fire their gun, and as you said it would lead to even more complaints by players who don't know how to deal with enemy arty effectively.

I feel this tactic is already in use.
Ordo ab Chao.

rick007cmx1 #18 Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 60613 battles

View PostHaukkis, on 30 June 2020 - 08:25 AM, said:

Yes this ^^^^^^ Targeting mechanic should be removed for tier 6 and above lobbies. There is no excuse for a tier 6 tank to not have 6th sense. WG gives boosts for free and has a lot of x3 and x5 events.  

rick007cmx1 #19 Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 60613 battles

View Posttokyobatman, on 30 June 2020 - 06:22 AM, said:

Well, if we are going to do that and  make it almost impossible for arty to hit tanks, since they will move at first warning. They lets give arty a 12 second reload and accuracy at .23 with massive splash damage..    The only thing that helps arty having a target not know it's being targeted.  They need other tanks to spot for them, most are slow with a long reload. Yes, people will be chiming in about how ridiculous my changes are, but so is wanting to basically give every tank the advantage and make arty obsolete. If you have ever played arty then you know how hard it is to hit tanks in the game.  A lot of our maps are not arty friendly, if your team is not paying attention, then a light drives right up the middle in the first 15 seconds and bye arty.  Arty is not the issue IMO...

And increase shell velocity. 3 sec lead is hard enough. Flight time for arty shells would have to be decreased to under a second.

haydonut421 #20 Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:15 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14898 battles

View Postrick007cmx1, on 01 July 2020 - 06:20 PM, said:

And increase shell velocity. 3 sec lead is hard enough. Flight time for arty shells would have to be decreased to under a second.

So it is impossible to dodge? That sounds like a perfectly balanced mechanic. This is straight up delusional. If you can't lead a target with 3 seconds shell travel time you deserve to miss.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users