10 replies to this topic

MaxChaos24-x #1 Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:39 PM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 14047 battles
  • [CPTST]

POSTED ON BEHALF OF THE DESIGN TEAM

Hey everyone!

My name is Jeff Gregg, and I am the Lead Designer on World of Tanks SummerSlam.

Welcome to "Let's talk about tanks! Object 260 mod. 1945 edition".

The goal is to highlight specific tanks, one at a time, and really dig down into what makes them tick, how they are being used, and how approaches may be taken to improve them if necessary.

As you read you will see a lot of charts and data. All of this data compares the tank to every other tank of its tier over a sixty-day period. All data is pulled from Random Battles only.

This article focused on the Object 260 mod. 1945. Let's get started.

Battles and Popularity

The Object 260 mod. 1945

A Tier X USSR Heavy, the Object 260 mod. 1945 has its armor and its 122 mm BL-13-1 to engage the enemy.

This tank's usage at tier X is low. It is one of the least used tier X heavy tanks at ~ 2,000 battles a day.

So how is this tank doing with these players? Is it dominating? Is it suffering? It's not doing terribly, but it has some dips to lower win rates and averages ~ 49.6%

Let's take a deeper look at the win rate. An average of win/loss doesn't tell us as much as some may think. As always, we should do is evaluate WHO is using this tank when it comes to skill.

Below we see a curve (representing the skill of ALL players) and a blue curve (representing the skill of the players using this tank). The higher the curve, the more players at that skill level are using the tank. We can see that most players are right in the middle / are usually successful at ~ 50% win/loss. The lower the skill and the higher the skill, the fewer the players.

Now we might ask: "there are players with a 100% win rate?!" or "there are players with 0% win rate?!" Those are likely players that played once in this tank and won or lost and then stopped. Super low occurrence outliers.

This tank is interesting. It has a small draw to lower skill players, and the higher skill you are (peaking at ~ 65% to 75%) the more you are attracted as well. Right in the middle @ 50%, the tank is aligned with all other tier X tanks.

Let's look at the tank's win/loss compared to skill. In the below picture we see two lines, one that represents the entire population's win/loss and another that represents this tank's win/loss.

The Object 260 mod. 1945 doesn't show any statistical benefit based on skill. The lines are almost completely overlapped, meaning your chance of winning with this tank is based on your skill more than the vehicle's stats itself (so to speak).

Weapons

Let's keep looking and focus on the weapon (the 122 mm BL-13-1)

Accuracy is good. It has an average accuracy of almost 77%:

Penetration is also acceptable. About 50.5% of the shots pen

Damage per shots that hit is average for a tier X heavy. About 270 per hit (super high numbers in the graph below are the tier X SPGs):

Damage per shot that hits AND penetrates is also average, about 410 damage per shot that pens its foe's armor. (out of all tier X medium tanks). (super high numbers in the graph below are the tier X SPGs):

Damage per battle: this tank is average to slightly below average for damage per battle w/ ~1,700

Survival, etc.

Let's keep looking at other stats.

How often does this tank survive a match? Unfortunately, its survival is very poor for a tier X heavy. It only lives ~ 25.5% of the time

How long does the tank live for in a match? Also very low for a tier X heavy. About 4min and 33s on average

How far does this tank move? This tank is one of the more mobile tier X heavy tanks (in the top 1/3 of tier X heavy tanks for travel distance per battle):

How much damage does it usually block? Right in the middle/average blocked damage for tier X heavy tanks with ~ 1,223 per battle blocked

Conclusions

Summary

So what's the summary?

We have analyzed numerical data on this tank.

The things that stand out the most are:

1. This tank is just SLIGHTLY below 50% win rate
  2. This tank is attractive to all skill levels, and skill level + this tank doesn't unduly influence the results
  3. This tank has a very low survival rate and lifespan when compared to other tier X Heavy tanks, yet blocks an average amount of damage
  4. This tank travels more than typical for a tier X heavy

Action Items

Based on this we plan on doing the following:

• Increase the tanks health from 2100 to 2300 (roughly a 10% HP buff)
    • Average armor usage + lots of movement + new health max should help with survival

The above changes will take place on JULY 28TH

In order to measure the impact of these changes once they are committed, we need at least 5,000 battles in the tank(s) to have enough data. Once we have that amount of info, we will report back here on what the results were and (if necessary) what the next steps will be.

If you have feedback about this process or have further questions, reach out! Stay tuned here for results of the test and for what the next tank we focus on is.

See you on the battlefield!

Click to send in a Support Ticket!

Crew Skills and Perk Values

wake_the_move-p #2 Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:32 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17635 battles

You mentioned DPM with the Badger (and even improved), yet you don‘t mention DPM with the Obj. 260. 

Instead of upping the hp pool by 200 reverting it‘s DPM/rate of fire to PC values (or at least close to it) and improving the dorsal turret armor (like on PC) would have gone a long way...

Poppyluv77-p #3 Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 17036 battles

View Postwake_the_move-p, on 27 July 2020 - 02:32 PM, said:

You mentioned DPM with the Badger (and even improved), yet you don‘t mention DPM with the Obj. 260. 

Instead of upping the hp pool by 200 reverting it‘s DPM/rate of fire to PC values (or at least close to it) and improving the dorsal turret armor (like on PC) would have gone a long way...

But you can’t see what you just said in the charts and graphs 

mr_rainmaker777-p #4 Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:58 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 41247 battles
wrong direction to go,nerf the speed(its faster than mediums) buff the almost non existent armor(it blocks nill from other tier x)the blocked damage it does get is from lower tiers,fix the gun its prem dependent,stock round is trash it bounces off lights and arty....

wake_the_move-p #5 Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:22 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17635 battles

View PostPoppyluv77-p, on 27 July 2020 - 05:16 PM, said:

But you can’t see what you just said in the charts and graphs 

Yes, but charts and graphs aren‘t the holy grail. 200hp might slightly increase this tanks survivability slightly. My suggestion however would do the same plus make the tank more fun.

SABarker-p #6 Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:54 PM

Private

• Players
  • 9193 battles
Thank You!   I love this tank and the buff will be a positive improvement.

haydonut421-x #7 Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:09 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16305 battles

The tank was meant to be a medium/Heavy hybrid, so of course it travels more and survives for less time than other heavies. This is why comparing a tank to the average is flawed. They need to buff the gun performance rather than the survivability. The armor isn't meant to be super good. The gun and speed are supposed to be good in order to compete with mediums. Buff either the rate of fire or the gun handling in order to match the PC version. This would be like WG saying that the Grille 15 (or 4005/WT E100) sucks because its armor isn't good enough. In order to buff a paper TD, buff literally anything but the armor and survivability. Gun performance, mobility, view range, anything. The grille is meant to have no armor, so buffing the survivability is a boring way to improve the tank.

(I am not saying the grille needs a buff. I'm just using it as an example)

AurorasEdge-p #8 Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:30 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 7536 battles
I wouldn't have given it the extra HP. Just fix the overmatch spot on the roof so that it can hulldown more consistently on less than flat terrain and it would be golden. I have no idea why people are complaining about the ammunition as this is probably the second most reliable soviet HT gun in the game beind the Object 277 which pays for it with a much lousier armour profile.

Flee65-x #9 Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:57 PM

Private

• Players
  • 33031 battles

I love the 260, the speed is nice...but what I'm really wanting to know, JEFF, is why you screwed up one of my favorite tier 8 tank, the T95E2??

Why in the world would you change the drive in it like the crappy Swedish tanks??

I payed money for that tank the way it was, not the way you changed it. That's called BAIT AND SWITCH...you can have that tank back and refund my gold please...

FinlandRed-x #10 Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23565 battles
I have a question. How do you decide which tank to focus on? With the exceptions of the Waffle and the Deathstar which have long been complained about, this frankly seems random. Picking a lot of lesser used tanks that are barely played and tweaking them is just fiddling at the edges. Surely you want to look at the more popular higher damaging tanks like the T110E4?

natedaishmaster-x #11 Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:38 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29078 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostFinlandRed-x, on 30 July 2020 - 06:15 AM, said:

I have a question. How do you decide which tank to focus on? With the exceptions of the Waffle and the Deathstar which have long been complained about, this frankly seems random. Picking a lot of lesser used tanks that are barely played and tweaking them is just fiddling at the edges. Surely you want to look at the more popular higher damaging tanks like the T110E4?

The majority of these tanks have been requested in one way or another for a while. They are picking lesser tanks because those are usually the ones that are unpopular due to poor performance (or in some cases like the K-91, they are simply outclassed). They have looked a couple of popular tanks in the Chisel and Machine. I think that they are working through the list and will eventually get to the 5a, SConq and E4 eventually, though the data might not be exactly what you'd expect

3 MOE: Hellcat, Lycan, Sp1C, T20, M41 Bulldog, Motherland, STA 1, T95E2, Pershing, AMX 50 100, AMX 13 90, T54ltwt, T49, RU251, M46 Patton, Type 61, Leopard PTA, T54, E50, Batchat AP, Skoda T50, Centurion 7/1, Sharpshooter, T10, Conquerer, AMX 13 105, Sheridan, T-100LT, RHM PZW, M60, Chisel, M48 Patton, Leopard 1, E50M, Obj 140, Batchat 25t, TVP 50/51, AMX 50B, Valour, IS7, Super Conqueror, The Machine, Chieftain, FV215B, T110E4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users