Getting hull down: A how to +why guide

5 replies to this topic

choppermeir-p #1 Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:01 PM

Captain

• WoTC Community Contributor
  • 12780 battles
  • [F1LTH]

Hi everyone, another tutorial I recently published on the channel all about the importance of getting hull down and how you can do it correctly.

Check out my YouTube channel. Tank reviews, tips and tank tomfoolery https://www.youtube.com/user/me3614

tokyobatman-p #2 Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:09 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16955 battles
  • [XIXLG]
Good video...
 “I disapprove with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

deadmeat1027-x #3 Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:12 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 19475 battles
That is the best most simple explanation of hull down i have seen in a contributor video. I struggled with it for a long time never quite sure I have had it right.

Tank beats Ghost ... Tank beats Hunter ... Tank beats everything!

LeTank3r-p #4 Posted 07 September 2020 - 06:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 5869 battles

Thanks so much for the video. That's very helpful. I think I've been told a few tanks have weak turrets so how do you deal with that? What I mean is if that part sticks out when firing, it would be all the enemy could try to hit and if successful, I'm not sure how much damage can be taken on that part. 

Also, how do you find good positions to fight from very quickly so you're not giving away your tank early on? I find myself driving around aimlessly a lot. There's some maps that I'm still having quite a bit of trouble with finding such areas. Kaunas and Sunset Coast for example. 

I'm getting a little better with using ridges, but I'm pretty sure I'm still exposing too much of my tanks for too long. 

choppermeir-p #5 Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:43 PM

Captain

• WoTC Community Contributor
  • 12780 battles
  • [F1LTH]

View PostLeTank3r-p, on 07 September 2020 - 06:46 PM, said:

Thanks so much for the video. That's very helpful. I think I've been told a few tanks have weak turrets so how do you deal with that? What I mean is if that part sticks out when firing, it would be all the enemy could try to hit and if successful, I'm not sure how much damage can be taken on that part. 

Also, how do you find good positions to fight from very quickly so you're not giving away your tank early on? I find myself driving around aimlessly a lot. There's some maps that I'm still having quite a bit of trouble with finding such areas. Kaunas and Sunset Coast for example. 

I'm getting a little better with using ridges, but I'm pretty sure I'm still exposing too much of my tanks for too long. 

With weak turrets you want to be exposing as little as possible still but making sure you retreat when not firing, preferably when the reds aren't looking you pop up and fire. It's a bit of the RNG game but minimising how much of your tanks is exposed is something to practice on no matter the tank, a slim shot at a weak turret is a lot more difficult for the reds than a whole tank to aim at.

Getting those early positions is knowing the maps more than anything and something I am actively working on myself, I still haven't figured out sunset coast to be honest but Kaunas I find the middle is a good brawl spot if you have the armour. With enough cover to fight the reds pushing the open field (If they do) and enough escape routes if the city falls. It's still a learning process for me on that map but I would recommend checking out either WoTC academy's YouTube channel or GERA's streams for some top notch map guidance.

Like many aspects of the game it can be trial and error, watching vids or even spectating the last few players to see where they are going and what they are doing.

Edited by choppermeir-p, 07 September 2020 - 09:45 PM.

Check out my YouTube channel. Tank reviews, tips and tank tomfoolery https://www.youtube.com/user/me3614

moeggsy-p #6 Posted 07 September 2020 - 11:00 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 34916 battles
  • [GRUMP]

Reply to this topic

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users