Join us during the World of Tanks True Vision Test September 18th - 22nd

• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

MintoVimto-x #1 Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:00 PM

Community Liaison

• Administrator
  • 218 battles

Hello all,

One of the most important gameplay mechanics in World of Tanks is the vision system, also known as the vehicle detection system. This system determines how and when vehicles appear to players during a match, as well as how players can interact with those vehicles.

As we continue to adapt the game’s mechanics, we’d like to get your feedback on a change to the vision system that we want to test out. You can experience this change all this weekend in our True Vision Test!

We look forward to hearing your feedback below. Also, keep an eye out for a survey on this test coming to your inbox.

Please visit the World of Tanks Console website for more information on this test.

The Vision System, also known as the Vehicle Detection System is what governs how and when vehicles appear to players in battle based on if they are detected or not at any given time and how you can interact with that vehicle. The new Vision Systems' main difference is that all combatant vehicle models are always rendered and no longer pop into existence. 

Since all enemies are visible at all times, there will be two ways to spot the enemy. 

• Manually (NEW!)
    • This is just spotting the enemy with your naked eye. 
    • When seeing the enemies with your naked eye, you won't have any of the normal vision/aiming assistance such as; tank outlines, ability to lock on or use radial commands, HUD elements, etc.
  • Automatically (EXISTING SYSTEM)
    • This is where the game detects the game automatically using your tanks View Range to defeat the enemy's Concealment. 
    • When enemies are detected this way, you will have full visions/aiming assistance such as; tank outlines, ability to lock on or use radial commanders, HUD elements, etc.

Details:

• All Tanks:
    • All vehicle models are always visible.
  • Friendly Tanks:
    • All living friendly vehicles are always visible and always present on the HUD for all other friendly vehicles regardless of distance or any other systems in play.
    • When aiming at a Friendly tank, you will see their tanks Tier, Vehicle Name, Player Name, and Health Bar.
    • The friendly tanks location will always be displayed on the Radar, Mini, and overview maps.
  • Enemy Tanks:
    • All living enemy vehicles are always visible, but the player's feedback and aiming systems only turn on if the enemy is in "detected" status.
    • An enemy is "detected" when it is within the vision range of a friendly unit and it is not concealed by its camo or any other concealment values.
    • "Detected" enemies are communicated to other friendly units using the radio.
    • When an enemy is "detected" the detecting vehicle and all friendly units can:
      • See any and all relevant feedback for the enemy when it is aimed at.
      • Example: Life-Bar, Vehicle Name. Gamertag Name
      • See red outline around enemy 
      • See enemy presence on map(s): Radar, Mini, and Overview
      • Lock onto the enemy with auto-aim
      • Us radial commands on the enemy
      • Use "Targeting Assistance" on the enemy (the system that assists with aiming at the enemy i.e. slowing down aim input when over the enemy)
      • Use vision-based crew skills (such as Eagle Eye)
    • If an enemy is damaged without being spotted (if a player sees them but does not "detect" them) their health bar and name will be shown to all players on the attacking team for roughly 2 seconds before fading out.
    • None of the enemy information listed above is visible if the enemy is NOT detected

Crew Skills:

• Rules for 6th sense and "Targeted!" remain the same. 
  • Skills and perks that influenced vision and visibility work as before.
  • All elements that impact your concealment and vision ranges still function exactly as before.
    • Movement, firing, being on fire, foliage, proximity to foe, camo and equipment, etc.

Artillery:

• When in “Arcade Mode” (camera in 3rd person, behind the tank) the detection system is the same for artillery as it is for all other classes.
  • When in “Strategic Mode” or any top-down camera mode, the artillery’s vision mode uses the existing vision system to prevent cheating or seeing all enemies all the time from a god’s eye view. 
    • I.E. It can only see enemies that have been "detected" by its allies.

Post Mortem:

• When you are dead, your vision returns to the existing vision system to prevent cheating / becoming a spy with an infinite vision to help spot enemies with impunity. 
    • I.E. You can only see enemies that have been "detected".

Edited by MintoVimto-x, 15 September 2020 - 04:57 PM.

Liam Hart

Community Liaison

Wargaming Chicago - Baltimore

Derekthetree-x #2 Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:32 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19880 battles
  • [BEARD]
So the news article is clear as mud. All tanks are permanently visible but you still need to spot them? Can we get comparison videos beforehand so we don't go in... blind

Spud Magnum-x #3 Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:38 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31575 battles
  • [GEEZR]

How does this work with artillery? 

Spud Magnum-x #4 Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:41 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31575 battles
  • [GEEZR]

If any consideration were given to making this permanent what use would many of the camo and view range skills have? It seems like a big nerf clearly. 

This is a really big change. Was any testing done on this mode before the trial this weekend? To be honest to me it looks like a mess that I will try for giggles and then take the rest of the weekend off. 

I foresee a lot of players not leaving their spawns. 

Edited by Spud Magnum-x, 15 September 2020 - 11:42 AM.

jojo5455-p #5 Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:57 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 48200 battles
  • [AKVMA]
a vision mode like war thunder, ok big camp planned, note not to play this weekend. 

BrogueOne-p #6 Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:00 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 25056 battles
  • [AP-EX]
Interesting.

Agent-Geeko-p #7 Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:10 PM

Private

• Players
  • 10327 battles

View PostDerekthetree-x, on 15 September 2020 - 11:32 AM, said:

All tanks are permanently visible but you still need to spot them?

I guess you need to spot them to become visible on the map for the others.

DwarfOnDrugs-x #8 Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 36929 battles
  • [-UNL-]

F

F to all the light tank players who used view range and camo rating to farm heavies at range.

I just hope you aren’t able to auto-aim at ‘unspotted’ tanks

Agent-Geeko-p #9 Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:18 PM

Private

• Players
  • 10327 battles

I'm afraid that this change will make TDs useless if they cannot hide... :bush:

I hate when a tank disappears just because it moves few meters further (while it is still spotted and visible by the teammates who are that few meters closer!).

I think this changes goes too far. What about just always displaying spotted tanks regardless how far they are? (I.e. just remove that rendering distance limit.)

Lets see on Friday how that actually works...

Magna6411-x #10 Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:23 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 64043 battles
  • [TRND0]

horrible idea .
1- making camo useless 
2- making view range useless
3- making view range and camo skills useless
i understand some of it is remaining the same . like if i have 500 vr ill still spot the e100 at 445 but is it really worth it ? are my teammates that blind to not see that e100 . is it worth to put my self at risk because that e100 probably plays on 100 inch screen and can see the bunny hopping from 500 meters away 

Spud Magnum-x #11 Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:24 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31575 battles
  • [GEEZR]
I just have to say that I think the effort of developing this would have been better placed maybe giving us some of the pc mechanics like the shot indicators, the last known locations, etc.

PinkNinjaGrl-x #12 Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:25 PM

Corporal

• WoTC Community Contributor
  • 12571 battles
  • [UNTD]

Looks pretty good, this should enforce more strategy and careful advancement, you trace the tracer back and bam you can see the tank. if they are out of spotting range the normal system wont be in affect so you can't lock on or anything but no more invisible tank syndrome. i think the majority of snipers will be fine since they are more often behind a bush which will still do it's job. they will simply have to not be out in the open. This could be the added realism taking this game to the next level. Of course it will be a hot mess the first weekend with all the confusion lol but i already like it for the added realism(referring to invisible tanks). 

for those of you still confused about what it does, the news article was released detailing it, don't panic, read article first.

https://console.worl...e-vision-test/ 

~LSP

~LSP~ 

Tanker For Life

https://www.twitch.tv/LuckyStarPie stop by to say hi!

https://www.youtube.com/c/LuckyStarPie ~ twitter.com/LuckyStarPie

SOVIETSANTA9-x #13 Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:45 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 30977 battles
  • [4SK1N]

So if I'm in a light tank with camo net, bino's and using a bush and I spot an enemy, they spot  Me too?

because the article says if I can see them they can see me. 

Magna6411-x #14 Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:46 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 64043 battles
  • [TRND0]

View PostSOVIETSANTA9-x, on 15 September 2020 - 04:45 PM, said:

So if I'm in a light tank with camo net, bino's and using a bush and I spot an enemy, they spot  Me too?

because the article says if I can see them they can see me. 

if u on a bush its harder to see u but if you in the open u basically spotted 

PinkNinjaGrl-x #15 Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:53 PM

Corporal

• WoTC Community Contributor
  • 12571 battles
  • [UNTD]

View PostMagna6411-x, on 15 September 2020 - 12:46 PM, said:

if u on a bush its harder to see u but if you in the open u basically spotted 

technically you won't spotted, there is no lock or outline, all that stuff requires the vehicle detection system to kick in, your tank will be visible to the naked eye but if you've ever played with no hud it's still hard to find you.

it will mostly be helpful for people tracing rounds back. and if someone normally would have spotted you then yes it will pop up that you are spotted and they will be able to lock on and everything

~LSP~ 

Tanker For Life

https://www.twitch.tv/LuckyStarPie stop by to say hi!

https://www.youtube.com/c/LuckyStarPie ~ twitter.com/LuckyStarPie

Magna6411-x #16 Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:56 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 64043 battles
  • [TRND0]

View PostPinkNinjaGrl-x, on 15 September 2020 - 04:53 PM, said:

technically you won't spotted, there is no lock or outline, all that stuff requires the vehicle detection system to kick in, your tank will be visible to the naked eye but if you've ever played with no hud it's still hard to find you.

it will mostly be helpful for people tracing rounds back. and if someone normally would have spotted you then yes it will pop up that you are spotted and they will be able to lock on and everything

i play with sony 3D projector so i have like 200 inch at least screen if i dont see something moving then i need to check my eyes 

o cie hui-x #17 Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:59 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30287 battles
  • [-HB-]

Summarize:

- noobs are complaining invisible tanks, let's make a test.

- CC are complaining new reskin of a game.... ?

I would like to know, how is development of this game steered....For know - no good reason to play this weekend.
Wish you luck, especially light tank funs.

mockney_piers-p #18 Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11594 battles
  • [F1LTH]

aah, official questions thread.

A clarification..

It sounds like render range is no more for, well, rendering a tank.

Does it still exist for the "old system". ie if you are a red dot on the map beyond 500m does autolock and red lines cease to apply or have they also extended the old system?

HeavyKaragh-x #19 Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:03 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 56134 battles
Big Game change. Doesn't look bad, but have to check how it works with radio, and definitely makes much less useful detection and cammo skills and equipment.

Takano3619-x #20 Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:03 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18071 battles

This sounds very interesting, I am definitely excited to try it.

Having everyone constantly visible will create a whole new dynamic and requirement to ACTUALLY conceal your vehicle. Arties cant just sit in base, they gotta find a spot to hid in, as would TDs, Lights and any other sniping vehicle.

I guess my preliminary thoughts might be as such

1) At the very least, give arty a grace period of invisibility so they can ACTUALLY hide and not just be tracked directly to their hiding spot by a snooping red.

2) I hope this will mean that the glowing outline of a tank in your sights will not apply until they are spotted within your actual spotting range. I assume this will be the case but I'd rather question it than say nothing.

3) Foliage will become imperative and lots of these clown car vehicles will be at a legitimate disadvantage for hiding themselves. Given, most of these clown cars are frontliners like the Stockade and Fatherland, so maybe it won't necessarily be an issue. Maybe this will make such vehicles stop camping in spawn and PTO.

4) People who hate atty will hate atty even more. People will constantly have to fear an atty shot now, but in a way, I see that as a good thing. The IQ of the player base is laughable imo so maybe they need to be whipped into shape.

Overall I am very excited for this. So many dynamics will change with the test and it's gonna take lots of time to settle into. Personally, I don't think a weekend is enough to fully grasp what all the effects will be. The event really should be weeklong, if anything.

I am highly receptive to all this, but I fear it's all doomed from the start with how violent the vocal minority of this community can be. I'll enjoy the new vision test while it lasts :)

11 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

bacilus_subtilis-p, T__Lewis-p