How many non-top-tier games?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

DanL1234567890-p #1 Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:48 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23781 battles
  • [DECUP]

I recall reading here that you're guaranted to have 1 top tier game every three if you play the same tank repeatedly. (Is that not right?)

Had this the other day where I had loads of t10 games in my t8. Turned out it was "that hour" where +/-1 was supposed to have kicked in, but hadnt. 

So, just now, I counted:

arctic            t10-8
fishermans   t9-7
sverogorsk   t9-7
pearl             t9-7
kaunas         t10-8
arctic            t8-6
kitimat          t9-7

1 top tier game in 7. I know it's impossible to say, but the way MM was working, I reckon I was in for another few t9 & t10 games before I saw another t8 game. 

Also, it was REALLY annoying that there were about x2 more T8s in the queue that T10s and about two times more T10s than T9s. Still had to wait for that T9 or T10 game though.

Let me know ur thoughts as I dont need something else to get salty about. :-(

Highlordwurm-x #2 Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:54 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19261 battles
  • [AZHOL]
I believed that, too...either that is an old rule long since scrapped, or, it was just an urban myth to begin with, I have never actually seen it stated officially.  I can confirm it is absolutely not true today, though.  This is why I only play lights, more XP from damage assist!  ...that, and one shot usually takes you out bottom or top tier in lights!  And, yes! It was an absolute feast of 8's!  Does anyone play tech tree tanks anymore!?

CptBadger-x #3 Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18294 battles
  • [MUNGE]

The rule doesn't guarantee you a top tier match, it will try to make sure you're not bottom tier.

See section, team list: top vs bottom:

https://console.worl...s/mm-explained/

TocFanKe4-x #4 Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22826 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostDanL1234567890-p, on 15 September 2020 - 02:48 PM, said:

I recall reading here that you're guaranted to have 1 top tier game every three if you play the same tank repeatedly. (Is that not right?)

Had this the other day where I had loads of t10 games in my t8. Turned out it was "that hour" where +/-1 was supposed to have kicked in, but hadnt. 

So, just now, I counted:

arctic            t10-8
fishermans   t9-7
sverogorsk   t9-7
pearl             t9-7
kaunas         t10-8
arctic            t8-6
kitimat          t9-7

1 top tier game in 7. I know it's impossible to say, but the way MM was working, I reckon I was in for another few t9 & t10 games before I saw another t8 game. 

Also, it was REALLY annoying that there were about x2 more T8s in the queue that T10s and about two times more T10s than T9s. Still had to wait for that T9 or T10 game though.

Let me know ur thoughts as I dont need something else to get salty about. :-(

You were only in the bottom tier MM twice in those examples, and never twice in a row.  The rule is bottom tier twice in a row, the third one will try to give you easier MM as I explain below.  Easier doesn't mean "top tier".  And you don't have to play the same tank over and over to get the boost.  If you're two tiers down twice in a row in a normal MM tank, you get the boost if you play the same tank or not.  It's just that if you play something with PMM on the boost game, it basically doesn't help as much.   

View PostHighlordwurm-x, on 15 September 2020 - 02:54 PM, said:

I believed that, too...either that is an old rule long since scrapped, or, it was just an urban myth to begin with, I have never actually seen it stated officially.  I can confirm it is absolutely not true today, though.  This is why I only play lights, more XP from damage assist!  ...that, and one shot usually takes you out bottom or top tier in lights!  And, yes! It was an absolute feast of 8's!  Does anyone play tech tree tanks anymore!?

It's never been a "must be top tier" rule.  Like a lot of MM rules, the MM tries to follow them. But if the population in the range is low or has a strange composition, it will not do it to keep MM time low.  Time is the most important thing to MM.  It relaxes rules as MM wait time gets longer.

The rule is basically if you're in the upper half of your possible tier range twice in a row, it will "try to" put you in the lower half of the range the next match.  So in a tier 8 tank you can see battle tier 8-9-10.  If you get put in battle tier 10 two games in a row, you'll get battle tier 8 or 9 the next match. Many times that means top tier, but not always.  I've seen boost matches where there's a couple tier 9s and then 8s and 7s fill it out.  

Rambo 1st Class - I'm your worst nightmare

Shamelessly stolen from Wotstars.com, a console stats site

Tempest fox3-x #5 Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:47 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 23921 battles
  • [JOCO]

That's a common misperception, there's no rule that guarantees you a top tier game under any situation. The rule you're thinking of only guarantees you being in the top 50% of the MM weight list for a game after two consecutive games where you're in the bottom 50%.

You can still be bottom tier every match, it would just guarantee a max of like 3 or 4 higher tier tanks for you to fight instead of 14.

Even then, that assumes the MM can fulfill that criteria with the tanks currently in the queue. If it can't do so in a timely fashion it relaxes the rules till it can make a game.

It also assumes that fulfilling that rule wouldn't put it in violation of another rule. IE red and green team must have similar numbers of arty/light tanks (I think it can only deviate by 1 or 2). The total battle weight of each team can only differ by +/- 25% and large platoons being matched up against other large platoons.

Sometimes MM will break one rule in order to satisfy another depending on whatever priorities it has been assigned. But it will typically only do that if tanks have been sitting around in the queue for a while and are getting close to a timeout. 

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131, Skoda T25, Boilermaker, Sentinel AC4 Experimental, M41B Brazil- In order obtained

Spoiler

DanL1234567890-p #6 Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:50 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23781 battles
  • [DECUP]
My bad. Thanks all for the detailed info

DanL1234567890-p #7 Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:51 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23781 battles
  • [DECUP]
<thumbs-up-smiley-face-emoji>

TocFanKe4-x #8 Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22826 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostTempest fox3-x, on 15 September 2020 - 03:47 PM, said:

That's a common misperception, there's no rule that guarantees you a top tier game under any situation. The rule you're thinking of only guarantees you being in the top 50% of the MM weight list for a game after two consecutive games where you're in the bottom 50%.

You can still be bottom tier every match, it would just guarantee a max of like 3 or 4 higher tier tanks for you to fight instead of 14.

Even then, that assumes the MM can fulfill that criteria with the tanks currently in the queue. If it can't do so in a timely fashion it relaxes the rules till it can make a game.

It also assumes that fulfilling that rule wouldn't put it in violation of another rule. IE red and green team must have similar numbers of arty/light tanks (I think it can only deviate by 1 or 2). The total battle weight of each team can only differ by +/- 25% and large platoons being matched up against other large platoons.

Sometimes MM will break one rule in order to satisfy another depending on whatever priorities it has been assigned. But it will typically only do that if tanks have been sitting around in the queue for a while and are getting close to a timeout. 

It's not MM weight.  I thought it was at one point, but it's battle tier range.  If you're in the bottom 50% of your battle tier range twice in a row, it will try to put you in the top 50% of your range.  So if your range is 6-7-8, and you get stuck in a tier 8 match twice in a row, it will try to put in in a tier 7 or 6 match the next game.  If you're bottom tier in more than 2 matches in a row, the rule got broken because of some MM issue.  

Tempest fox3-x #9 Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:49 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 23921 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostTocFanKe4-x, on 15 September 2020 - 10:20 PM, said:

It's not MM weight.  I thought it was at one point, but it's battle tier range.  If you're in the bottom 50% of your battle tier range twice in a row, it will try to put you in the top 50% of your range.  So if your range is 6-7-8, and you get stuck in a tier 8 match twice in a row, it will try to put in in a tier 7 or 6 match the next game.  If you're bottom tier in more than 2 matches in a row, the rule got broken because of some MM issue.  

Is there an official source? Not that I don't believe you it's just I seem to remember the wiki stating it was MM weight. Not that it would be the first time the wiki was wrong about something. 

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131, Skoda T25, Boilermaker, Sentinel AC4 Experimental, M41B Brazil- In order obtained

Spoiler

TocFanKe4-x #10 Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:05 AM

Major

• Players
  • 22826 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostTempest fox3-x, on 15 September 2020 - 06:49 PM, said:

Is there an official source? Not that I don't believe you it's just I seem to remember the wiki stating it was MM weight. Not that it would be the first time the wiki was wrong about something. 

https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/news/mm-explained-new

"Here's what you don't know: if the matchmaker finds a player in the upper half of their Battle Tier range (near the bottom of the team list) for two consecutive battles, in the following battle, they'll be placed into a match in the lower half of their Battle Tier (near the top of the team list) for that vehicle. This helps prevent players from having streaks of games where they are placed at the bottom of their team list.

A good example is the IS-3, a tier VII Heavy with normal matchmaking (Battle Tier 8-10). If for two consecutive matches you're placed in a Tier X match, the following match will be tier VIII or IX. There is no restrictions on the number of battles played in the lower half of the Battle Tier range."

HeXXeN-x #11 Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:36 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9306 battles

Last 100 battles?

87% non top tier.

21% mid tier. 
66% bottom tier.  

13% top tier. 

Win/Loss when Top Tier? 11%