Principles of tank warfare

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

LeTank3r-p #1 Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:35 AM

Major

• Players
  • 5869 battles

I was trying to find something on this. I'm just curious about it after playing a couple of matches. I know there's different tactics for various situations, but when tanks go to war, don't they usually try to stay concealed from the enemy?

In the games I played, It reminded me of an old west shootout. It was like both teams already knew they'd be seen so let's just get it done and over with. No one's lasting six minutes here. 

Maybe it's the combination of having +1/-1 and thinking the enemy team is less of a threat?  

BrogueOne-p #2 Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:19 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 25406 battles
  • [AP-EX]

I’m sure a couple of veteran Tankers will chime in at some point, but I’m willing to best most IRL tank training goes out the window in an arcade shooter like WoT.

However, there’s a few folks on YouTube who served in various militaries that make videos about military life and tactics. Here’s a couple videos by Matsimus about tank warfare and tactics: 

https://youtu.be/pQbAmIf33qg 

https://youtu.be/sXmC8BYRdpA

SPUK4U-p #3 Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:02 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15480 battles

View PostLeTank3r-p, on 18 October 2020 - 09:35 AM, said:

I was trying to find something on this. I'm just curious about it after playing a couple of matches. I know there's different tactics for various situations, but when tanks go to war, don't they usually try to stay concealed from the enemy?

In the games I played, It reminded me of an old west shootout. It was like both teams already knew they'd be seen so let's just get it done and over with. No one's lasting six minutes here. 

Maybe it's the combination of having +1/-1 and thinking the enemy team is less of a threat?  

In arcade game's like this reward systems usually favor aggressive players that make lot of damage and kills compared to players that take more careful and tactical approach. This reward system makes players more focus on ops and their personal stats than the team's victory and it's visible as selfish game play.  It's rare to see team play, mostly it's just rushing forward and dealing damage fast as you.

-- Ask, Observe, Learn and Improve --

FluffyColt12271-x #4 Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:20 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15548 battles

Here you go

http://forum-console...21#entry3785121

MPC 2117-x #5 Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:43 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19563 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostLeTank3r-p, on 18 October 2020 - 03:35 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure players nowadays are just garbage. I was playing just now for about 4-5matches in the grille, and in that short time frame I set fire to three or four tanks.......none of them chose to extinguish the flames. That says a lot at tier10.

WE​ NEED MORE STUGS IN World of WhatisBalance...

Pit Friend-x #6 Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:53 PM

Major

• Players
  • 37483 battles
  • [PTATO]
Very few real life armor tactics apply to this game. 

I don’t know how to act my age! I’ve never been this old before!

deadmeat1027-x #7 Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:44 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 19541 battles
  • [PCP]

Can't really compare the real world tactics to our game tactics, they simply are not the same. The real world military is organized under a strict chain of command, we have a free for all. The vehicles in the real world have specific tactical roles that are used to increase the overall force multiplier, in game we have a free for all. Better to look at what world of tanks has and just stay there, no real life tank would face hug or side scrape and rocking back and forth wouldn't save your tank on a real life battle field. It only takes a lost track to take a real armored vehicle out of action and nobody has figured out instant repair kits as far as I know.

If things did work how they are designed in game then teams of 15 random players would all have to follow the same play book.

Heavy tanks would use armor and health pool to directly engage the red team. Using game mechanics to fight (side scrape, angling, hull down)

Mediums would attack from the flank and support the heavies as they push the front

Light tanks would spot and make quick flank attacks to push into the rear and/or take out weakened red tanks

TDs with armor would close support the heavy tanks and the light armored TDs would provide over watch from concealed positions to support heavy and medium tanks and counter pushes from red medium and light tanks.

Arty would arty cause that's what they do.

Tank beats Ghost ... Tank beats Hunter ... Tank beats everything!

HaloPro058-x #8 Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:55 PM

Major

• Players
  • 45173 battles
  • [FEN1X]

View PostFluffyColt12271-x, on 18 October 2020 - 06:20 AM, said:

Here you go

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/183081-fundamentals-of-tank-warfare/page__pid__3785121#entry3785121

He found IT!^

CostlessSun07-x #9 Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:18 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33735 battles

View PostFluffyColt12271-x, on 18 October 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

This should be a required read for players of this game.  In the last section, the part about lights being destroyed in the first minute of the battle should be highlighted.

Tornado F7-x #10 Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:25 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23684 battles

View PostPit Friend-x, on 18 October 2020 - 02:53 PM, said:

Very few real life armor tactics apply to this game. 

The main difference being that IRL once you're dead you're dead. Here you just move on to your next 'life'.

It's probably best that RL is as precious and fragile as it is. It makes us value it more.

Tornado F7-x #11 Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:31 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23684 battles

View Postdeadmeat1027-x, on 18 October 2020 - 03:44 PM, said:

Can't really compare the real world tactics to our game tactics, they simply are not the same. The real world military is organized under a strict chain of command, we have a free for all. The vehicles in the real world have specific tactical roles that are used to increase the overall force multiplier, in game we have a free for all. Better to look at what world of tanks has and just stay there, no real life tank would face hug or side scrape and rocking back and forth wouldn't save your tank on a real life battle field. It only takes a lost track to take a real armored vehicle out of action and nobody has figured out instant repair kits as far as I know.

If things did work how they are designed in game then teams of 15 random players would all have to follow the same play book.

Heavy tanks would use armor and health pool to directly engage the red team. Using game mechanics to fight (side scrape, angling, hull down)

Mediums would attack from the flank and support the heavies as they push the front

Light tanks would spot and make quick flank attacks to push into the rear and/or take out weakened red tanks

TDs with armor would close support the heavy tanks and the light armored TDs would provide over watch from concealed positions to support heavy and medium tanks and counter pushes from red medium and light tanks.

Arty would arty cause that's what they do.

And aircraft and missiles would kill most exposed tanks in no time. I wouldn't want to be a tanker on today's real battlefield.

It would be fun in peacetime though!

Tempest fox3-x #12 Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:04 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 23949 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostMPC 2117-x, on 18 October 2020 - 01:43 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure players nowadays are just garbage. I was playing just now for about 4-5matches in the grille, and in that short time frame I set fire to three or four tanks.......none of them chose to extinguish the flames. That says a lot at tier10.

You know a lot of statistically good players choose not to bring a fire extinguisher right? Instead bringing food or octane fuel.

It's a risk they choose to take and doesn't mean they don't know how to play the game.

The vast majority of the time, getting set on fire is bad luck. Not being outplayed. However having better view range, camo and gun handling than someone not using food will often allow them to outplay an opponent.

And beyond that, there's the maybe they got set on fire twice that match? 

I wouldn't necessarily take not extinguishing a fire as a sign of lack of skill. 

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131, Skoda T25, Boilermaker, Sentinel AC4 Experimental, M41B Brazil- In order obtained

Spoiler

Derekthetree-x #13 Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:17 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 20313 battles
  • [BEARD]

Real tanks are accurate and can penetrate out to 1000m+, so little to no crossover with in game

Tank warfare has also changed over time from trench breaking, to horse replacement, to infantry support, to anti-tank, to deterrent

EIIoco ger-x #14 Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:36 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15714 battles
  • [NFFY]

View PostMPC 2117-x, on 18 October 2020 - 01:43 PM, said:

Perhaps they were running rations instead of the extinguisher?

LeTank3r-p #15 Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:33 AM

Major

• Players
  • 5869 battles

View PostEIIoco ger-x, on 19 October 2020 - 12:36 AM, said:

I know there are good players who do this, but there are a fair number of not so good players who carry like 3 med kits or some crap like that or maybe not even add anything there. 

TheOneWhoPlucks-x #16 Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:59 AM

Major

• Players
  • 20228 battles
  • [M01ST]

View PostLeTank3r-p, on 18 October 2020 - 01:35 AM, said:

ahh the magical six minutes 

Follower of Tin’s interpretation of proverb Mathew 7-3

and

Lj’s interpretation of proverb Mathew 7-5

LeTank3r-p #17 Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:31 AM

Major

• Players
  • 5869 battles

View PostTheOneWhoPlucks-x, on 19 October 2020 - 02:59 AM, said:

ahh the magical six minutes 

Dang it. I have a perfect response and I can't even use it. :rolleyes:

Pontiac Pat-x #18 Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:41 AM

Major

• WoTC Community Ambassador
  • 28694 battles
  • [47R]

View PostLeTank3r-p, on 19 October 2020 - 01:31 AM, said:

Dang it. I have a perfect response and I can't even use it. :rolleyes:

They have a pill for that. :B

Tank tactics vary depending on the nation and time period in question.  In general, stealth and ambush are preferred in defense but concentration and maneuver on the offensive.  Not much you can do to hide an armored assault.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe

MPC 2117-x #19 Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19563 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostTempest fox3-x, on 18 October 2020 - 08:04 PM, said:

You know a lot of statistically good players choose not to bring a fire extinguisher right? Instead bringing food or octane fuel.

It's a risk they choose to take and doesn't mean they don't know how to play the game.

The vast majority of the time, getting set on fire is bad luck. Not being outplayed. However having better view range, camo and gun handling than someone not using food will often allow them to outplay an opponent.

And beyond that, there's the maybe they got set on fire twice that match? 

I wouldn't necessarily take not extinguishing a fire as a sign of lack of skill. 

Can't outplay anyone if you're burning to death. I'd say those statistically good players have a rather large shortcoming in that they hope for the best and don't plan for the worst. Especially in heavy tanks.

As far as getting set alight twice though, I'm afraid that doesn't apply to the folks I was igniting. Most were full health.

View PostEIIoco ger-x, on 19 October 2020 - 12:36 AM, said:

Marginal skill improvements aren't worth half a tank burning down imo.

WE​ NEED MORE STUGS IN World of WhatisBalance...

Tempest fox3-x #20 Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:14 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 23949 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostMPC 2117-x, on 19 October 2020 - 09:11 PM, said:

Can't outplay anyone if you're burning to death. I'd say those statistically good players have a rather large shortcoming in that they hope for the best and don't plan for the worst. Especially in heavy tanks.

As far as getting set alight twice though, I'm afraid that doesn't apply to the folks I was igniting. Most were full health.

Marginal skill improvements aren't worth half a tank burning down imo.

Most high tier tanks have a sub 10% chance of a fire on engine hit. Less with crew skills and again, most high tier fuel tanks can't be set on fire frontally. So a marginal skill improvement vs getting set on fire once every 100 games because you let something shoot you in the side or rear. 

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131, Skoda T25, Boilermaker, Sentinel AC4 Experimental, M41B Brazil- In order obtained

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users