• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Joco3000-x #1 Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:30 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 28990 battles
  • [JOCO]

POPULAR

In no uncertain terms, I fully believe that this "update" is a best a monumental failure, and at worst the final nail being hammed into the coffin that now surrounds the now-bloated corpse of this game. It's a massive travesty, and not one that can be fixed particularly quickly either.

Let's start off with the positives. Surprisingly, there are some. And by some, one singular example comes to mind.

I feel that the UI of the in-game battle is nice and fresh. It is in dire need of updates already (which I will get to), but it's a nice baseline to work with. Sadly, it's only a baseline, and the rest of the update is the type that looks to a dumpster fire as a role model.

Firstly, the crew system. If I could pick a single word to describe it, I must go with "Atrocious". To call it functional would be an insult to the dictionary.

Limiting to 9 perks is a dubious decision that I can see some thought behind, at least insofar that it fits into a box neatly, but I can work with that. Some of the parks are slightly redundant, some are practically mandatory and yet others clearly haven't had a rational mind look at them since their inception. The compression of vision perks and the like into a single perk is a good idea, but a stealthy build practically requires 5 perks to get running. Not helped at all by the fact that Sixth Sense is still a perk for reasons I cannot fathom.

Then you have the perks which give absurd bonuses like damage reduction, accuracy increase and a rate of fire increase.

That is, of course, a most questionable decision. However, this is nothing compared to how crews are assigned to tanks. Instead of selecting the crew that you want from the tank menu, as in the days of yesteryear (and yesterday), you have to go to the crew tab and assign the crew from there. This is explained about as in-depth as the HE mechanics. So not at all.

To make this easier, the UI in the crew section is as fast and efficient as Martian plate tectonics. Did I say easier, I meant infinitely more frustrating.

Oh, and you have to reassign all of the crews you had prior. Which is brilliant, as I apparently have 211 or so crews to go through. Took me about 40 mins to go through around 30. How am I even going to do this with the current jankiness?

Then you have the tech tree UI. The smaller trees honestly look fine, but the larger trees look like a conspiracy theorist's corkboard. It honestly looks like more time was spent sourcing the white Crayola crayons to draw the tech trees than thought was actually put into the update.

And then there's the premium tech tree. I do not know what thought patterns lead to such a aberration to be created, but if I wanted something easier on the eyes I'd just look though a telescope into the sun. 

It has no redeeming features. It's nigh-impossible to navigate and utterly nonsensical in their placements. You'd had thought that tier X is at the top, but they can honestly be found dotting around the upper third with no rationality behind it. I didn't even attempt to look at tank modules, as you can't see them for tanks you don't own (a fine decision).

The tank tab has plenty of issues as well. Forcing the platoon into the same tier as the leader is a good change. Everything else is a downgrade functionally.

The filter system is deceptive, as it works just like the previous one (at a tenth of the speed), except it gives you box showcasing what tanks you have filtered. It serves no function that I can see aside from being able to add to your favourites filter. It's deceptive and confusing.

And then there's the loadout section. As mentioned earlier, the crews are on a different tab (which is two tabs away. A petty issue, but with how slow the UI is it's a major point), but the other parts are intuitive on a face value. The aforementioned UI speed makes this a tedious issue, and the absolutely predatory feature of defaulting to gold is something that is made even more difficult to notice. Seriously, it is 2020, that should not be a thing and you should be ashamed of yourselves for that, and I have doubts on if that's even legal here.

Didn't even attempt to try out the more in-depth customisations, I could not tolerate that UI any longer than I had to.

Finally, the battle UI. As I mentioned earlier, nice and clean. It's also impossible to see what's actually going on.

Tanks require an actual LOS, even with the enhanced vision equipment. A massive change that I despise, but that could describe the majority of the update as a whole. 

It's also hard to actually tell what's going on. The UI is half the size it was prior, and as nothing is immediately brought to your attention telling what's been spotted and where enemy tanks are is not the easiest of tasks.

I also can't tell who I'm looking at, as names are no longer in an intuitive location (off to the side or bottom left, depending on if you're spectating or just viewing them in battle. The mini-map is also in the upper right for some odd reason, with zero option to change it to a more suitable location (IE, bottom right).

Sure, I could get used to some of this with time, but with zero customisation (aside from removing it entirely, which seems to be a bad idea) and a few other issues, I do not like it. Not one bit.

The only other thing that comes to mind is how the store page is naturally unchanged from the previous update, and that the new Keycards have a rather lengthy animation compared to the old chests. Yes, I brought one to have a look at them, and for reasons I do not understand that one became three, and then an E-25. I do not know if it was because I got the keycard in what was my last keycard, but the option to open another one instead of backing out was not there. Or hidden behind the horrendous UI.

I was looking forwards to playing the game today, what with the new tanks which I did want. Honestly, what's the point? If I wanted to play a borderline unplayable buggy mess of a game, I'd just load up Cyberpunk 2077. 

Thanks, WG, for giving me a reason to get through my backlog. I'm not uninstalling yet, as I have a shallow hope that you've realised just how badly you've ruined it and will attempt to make some changes, but it raises several questions of what you guys were even thinking. I'm actually insulted with how bad the game is now, and I wonder if the Supertesters even glimpsed at this update. And if they did, whether or not their feedback was once again ignored.

For shame, WG. For shame.

You can PM with with questions, if you wish. I don't bite.

Compilation thread of my ideas

KillBoY25198825-x #2 Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:37 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 24171 battles
I've run out of up votes today but I agree wholeheartedly 

DrHorrible4Life-x #3 Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:40 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17540 battles
So you're saying it is pretty good?

Sadriel Fett-x #4 Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:41 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 28895 battles
  • [DARMY]
Well said.

~ "I'm just a simple Fan, trying to make my way in the universe." ~

craig3999-x #5 Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:43 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 35568 battles
  • [JOCO]
Joco I agree with your points, this game just is not fun to play in its current state.

RabidSasquatch0-x #6 Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:45 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 23242 battles
  • [VYPER]
Kudos to the laughs, this I think is some of the best feedback WG will get (will it be aknowledged? maybe.  Will anything come of it? probably not)

CatSnipah-x #7 Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32908 battles
  • [BNKR]
Thank goodness we're the "vocal minority" around here.  :D

CatSnipah-x #8 Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32908 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostRabidSasquatch0-x, on 15 December 2020 - 09:45 PM, said:

Kudos to the laughs, this I think is some of the best feedback WG will get (will it be aknowledged? maybe.  Will anything come of it? probably not)

Considering the fact that it took them less than a minute of their stream to tell us to "just get used to it", I'm willing to bet they've already done what they usually do - choose to ignore it and blame literally everyone else. 

OrderedFaun05-x #9 Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:48 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28020 battles
If this current version stays, it’s easy to walk away from it as it’s so bad, I wouldn’t want to play it !

XLilabnerX-x #10 Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:49 PM

Major

• Players
  • 74085 battles
  • [-LUCK]

Hehehehawhaw

Oh I've been laughing at WOT consle so hard today my sides hurt.

TocFanKe4-x #11 Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:53 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23162 battles
  • [GIRLS]
I keep saying it over and over.  Maybe they'll hear me.  The crew movement needs to have a significant cost or the bulk of our skilled crews are useless.  Wasted time grinding for years.  

WG lied about keeping special skills.  WG made my many extra trained crews useless.  WG can't expect me to support their product unless they fix this.  

Spookyrobbie-x #12 Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:58 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23951 battles
  • [T-R-U]

In total agreement , people know my utter hatred for TV but this it’s almost a complete change of game and something had I known would have not renewed my premo pass.   FYI I’m now stuck with 450 days or premo time and at this moment in time I can honestly say my time with wot has come to an end .   Played 4 games and just couldn’t go on. 

For me the lead designer Jeff Gregg should carry the can for this update and do the honourable thing and resign.   I could ask more than several questions asking for explanation and justification as to why decisions were derived but why bother as everything is rosey in the garden apparently.   

Very poor show. 

Pontiac Pat-x #13 Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:58 PM

Major

• WoTC Community Ambassador
  • 29394 battles
  • [47R]

The UI changes appear to be geared towards forcing TV on us.  Even with the EVI equipment it's less than before.  You HAVE to use the mini-map to know where spotted targets are if you don't have LOS because you can't see any indicator when scanning the main field of view.  This means you cannot keep track of where reds are and pre-aim before poking out from cover, among other things.

Ugh.

Oh, and the minimap is smaller and less informative than before, so RIP situational awareness.

Edited by Pontiac Pat-x, 15 December 2020 - 09:59 PM.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe

XT356-x #14 Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:06 PM

Major

• Players
  • 13348 battles
  • [STRCH]
JOCO has spoken. If they refuse to even attempt to listen to him, then there is no hope.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CatSnipah-x #15 Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32908 battles
  • [BNKR]
This is what you get when you consistently hire the people who graduate at the bottom of their respective classes.

DemiGodesss-p #16 Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:19 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15198 battles

View PostPontiac Pat-x, on 15 December 2020 - 09:58 PM, said:

The UI changes appear to be geared towards forcing TV on us.  Even with the EVI equipment it's less than before.  You HAVE to use the mini-map to know where spotted targets are if you don't have LOS because you can't see any indicator when scanning the main field of view.  This means you cannot keep track of where reds are and pre-aim before poking out from cover, among other things.

Ugh.

Oh, and the minimap is smaller and less informative than before, so RIP situational awareness.

THIS.

It feels like I'm playing with a blindfold on.

It feels like I'm learning to walk again. And for what, what's the greater benefit? Uglier graphics, blurry ugly low res tank models?

Thanks but no. 

Worst part is... I don't think this situation will be solved, the patch reverted. And it's so frustrating to have to suddenly quit something I have invested a lot of my attention in the past four years.

uggggh, and I don't even have whiskey left to drown my sorrow

Ejann-x #17 Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:26 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 43033 battles
  • [LACUS]

Spot on, its horrendous this new UI cant see anything

I want My damage/assisted/blocked as it was before,visible at all Times, damage info everything names tanks all is a mess and its awful.  All tanks are Hard to see and i cant put my finger on what it is.

Changing commanders is a mess to as is the nine skill limit,

I dumped My last Gold in the seasonpass and that is THE last i Will buy and play cause this game right now is dead, almost 60k battles and this update killed everything just like that.

l Alfa Mike l-x #18 Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:31 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 29865 battles
  • [N7]

I lost all situational awerness.

I’m sure it would come back at some point were i to continue playing but i think i’m done for good now.

I feel like a bloke whose wife comes home one day out of the blue with a new face and some plastic implants here and there never having discussed it.

My first battle I couldn’t pen an easy target.

Took several minutes before i understood it was a friendly. The colour was now blue instead of green and the lack of info above a target a put it where the mini map SHOULD be made me mess up.

Sixth sense is also too soft of a sound now and displaced away from your primary view.

Dmg/assist output and ribbons are gone and the after battle report is a waste of time now. Not able to even see how many shots fired.

Garage, tech tree and commanders. Don’t even get me started.

They can still fix lots of these issues and i’m sure in time they will but i think i’ll just sit near and watch the world burn for a bit!

ZCFlayer-p #19 Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:34 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 11043 battles
  • [S0L0]
Totally agree with the OP. I have no clue how such an obviously broken update made it to the live servers. 

psmobius1-p #20 Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:37 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35196 battles
  • [6O97H]
I had far too many tanks (635 I think in the garage before the update) with several hundred crews. If all the crews were pulled out of the tanks they were assigned to then I hardly see myself trying to get them all reorganized where they go. I was able to add all the tech tree (non premium, non mercenary) to my garage before the update and was just playing to add equipment to those missing some equipment but not sure that is worth continuing any longer. I'll give it a few days to see how it all plays out but it may just be time to move on to the other games I've had sitting around unopened. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users