Identifying symbols for repair

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

kaloochi-x #1 Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:52 AM

Major

• Players
  • 24953 battles
I'm finding it very hard to make out what each of the tiny symbols are when something neds fixing, and that applies to tank  and crew modules.  I wouldn't want to waste repair and health kits on something minimal like a damaged track or radio man for example but because i don't know what they are i just use the kits anyway.  I'm pretty sure the audio cue has gone too making it extra difficult. Is there anywhere on wot site that can clear this up for me, thanks.

Lysith3a-x #2 Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:39 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 15499 battles
Removing the audio cues from your crew is just monumentally stupid. So is the design that incorporates a huge number of hieroglyphs and expects you to be able to instantly decipher them in the heat of battle.

The WGA brains trust must have spent all of 5 minutes on that one.

I aim to misbehave

dave mg 04-x #3 Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:48 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39368 battles

View PostLysith3a-x, on 14 January 2021 - 10:39 AM, said:

thats all the time they spent making the new game..

they can't say any effort went into it and they clearly have NO PRIDE WHATSOEVER in their work to release such a badly broken bug and fault filled mess in the first place...

the whole faildate and the way they are dealing with it just screams out we put no effort into anything and f*ck the paying customers they will just get the absolute shyte we give them......

Capt_John_Colby-p #4 Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:28 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 43141 battles
  • [PLOOM]

And working out which crew member is having a snooze - I've worked out top right is driver and middle middle is commander.

But loader, radio man and gunner, not so sure.

mockney_piers-p #5 Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:43 PM

Major

• Players
  • 12236 battles
  • [F1LTH]

I'm constantly playing without the faintest idea that my crew or tank is borked, and then when I finally realise, usually down to some horrendous reload time, I just mash all the repair buttons at once, because with those tiny icons I can't actually tell them apart

ooo NO ONE ooo-x #6 Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 66982 battles
  • [MMTLS]

View Postmockney_piers-p, on 14 January 2021 - 12:43 PM, said:

I'm constantly playing without the faintest idea that my crew or tank is borked, and then when I finally realise, usually down to some horrendous reload time, I just mash all the repair buttons at once, because with those tiny icons I can't actually tell them apart

Sounds like I'm missing out on so much fun!

radonism-x #7 Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19930 battles

That's pretty much I have to do. I only realise when I notice my reload is 20 seconds rather than 8 and then heal everyone. I can't really tell the difference between crew and modules. They are all tiny and indecipherable. 

There's one icon that kind of looks like Kenny from South Park crossed with Munch's Scream. Kenny Screaming, if you like. I'd love to know what the heck that is supposed to be!

Kuhl MC-x #8 Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:21 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16849 battles

That's exactly my experience as well, except for the fact, that pressing the button will often do absolutely nothing due to the bugged consumables... But hey, at least I have to pay for them nevertheless, Silver drain confirmed, working as "intended". 

UrticateArc6122-x #9 Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:32 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7026 battles

It like most of the other stuff, I don't have a problem with the idea of changing things, but it needs to be an improvement.

If they'd kept the audio cues, gone with a larger and less cluttered version of the new symbols, maybe introduced some other visual cue and actually updated their game guide to explain all the new stuff, none of this would be so much of an issue.

"Sooner or later, all games become serious." - J.G. Ballard

Sentience-p #10 Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:57 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 33109 battles
  • [ARROW]

Yep. Mentioned this in my HUD breakdown video. Link in the spoiler for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

Spoiler

For both health packs and repair kits, the same briefcase icon is used - except for the little tiny logo within the briefcase, which designates whether it’s a health pack or repair kit.

When rechargeable consumables are on cool down, the “seconds remaining” countdown covers up the entire icon, making the health pack and repair kit indistinguishable from one another.

For all crews, the same “head with a bullet” icon is used - except for the little tiny logo within the head, which designates which crew member it is. The tiny crew icons themselves are confusing, for example: the “squished steering wheel icon” used for the driver looks like a set of binoculars. In prior versions, binoculars were used to denote the commander.

The ammo type icons are confusing. Standard ammo has a perfect diamond background behind it, while other ammo types have different degrees of broken diamond backgrounds. It lacks the visual clarity of the simple ammo and colored strip layout of prior versions. Also lost is the count of ammo not selected. In prior versions, you used to be able to tell how much of every ammo you had, without needing to cycle through all of them.

The tank damage icons are laughably bad. Like, “I hope this was done by a summer intern” bad. One looks like the eye of Ra. The ammo rack looks like an engine fire. Why are there two separate tracked indicators? Why are they on different vertical elevations?

Whoever designed these HUD elements, and whoever approved them for use, needs to watch the following video from Vox. Good icons need to be easily distinguishable, intuitive, and memorable to work. All of these icons fail at least two, if not all three of those conditions.

UltimoPit385186-x #11 Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:10 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 34248 battles
I can't make the module or crew member icons out. Only thing I know is the radio operator has a phone handset embedded in their skull. Too small to pick out in battle.

Nice icon I guess if you're looking at a printout. Poor design for a game.

Warsteiner 1-x #12 Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:42 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 47766 battles
  • [C-X-L]

Lets be honest with ourselves here , you all know deep down that knowing exactly what was broke or what commander was k.o.ed was giving a MASSIVE advantage to veteran players.

I have sources confirming that newer players were turned off by the fact that veteran players were able to fix things with little more than a glance and muscle memory . 

Clearly this had to be remedied !

Zathustra-x #13 Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 30833 battles

View PostLysith3a-x, on 14 January 2021 - 04:39 AM, said:

Removing the audio cues from your crew is just monumentally stupid. So is the design that incorporates a huge number of hieroglyphs and expects you to be able to instantly decipher them in the heat of battle.

You give them too much credit, they spent 2 seconds on the thought-or lack if thought-and assumed that all was good.

Lysith3a-x #14 Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:19 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 15499 battles

Lol this happened to me a few days ago. The reload on the Rodger Dodger shot up to 28 seconds. Pressed repair....nope. I wouldn’t mind but it’s literally one of a handful of tanks that I’d forgotten to take repair kits off and the ****ing thing wouldn’t work.

I aim to misbehave

marinefish666-x #15 Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:31 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 47344 battles

It's not a problem if you sit 2 feet from the monitor like the developers did.

Why is everyone complaining?

They tested it on their desktops and it all works great.

Oh and they get all the "New Coke" they can drink at their desks!  Why Coca-Cola's 'New Coke' Flopped - HISTORY

Senior Technical Engineer, all reg tanks unlocked! All reg X tanks in garage.

mr_rainmaker777-p #16 Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:38 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 43003 battles
whats it matter,repair kits only work half the time.

Sentience-p #17 Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:38 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 33109 battles
  • [ARROW]

I doubt those icons are even legible on a regular desktop monitor.

I’d bet money whomever designed these icons did so without considering the scale at which they would be displayed. My current avatar, which shows the scaling issue with the mini-map, is a perfect example of this. What kind of modern art is this?

Because right now, with a 65” TV, the damn game is an eyesight test for me. Can’t see the aim reticle on “white” maps. Can’t tell what consumables I have, can’t tell which crew member is down. And that’s before trying to understand the hieroglyphs used for modules.

UltimoPit385186-x #18 Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:39 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 34248 battles

View PostWarsteiner 1-x, on 14 January 2021 - 02:42 PM, said:

Lets be honest with ourselves here , you all know deep down that knowing exactly what was broke or what commander was k.o.ed was giving a MASSIVE advantage to veteran players.

I have sources confirming that newer players were turned off by the fact that veteran players were able to fix things with little more than a glance and muscle memory . 

Clearly this had to be remedied !

Ahhhh and it became more apparent with their sterling work fixing the repair wheel.

It also explains removing functionality from the comms wheel, and randomly moving what was left around.

Mr HIPP0-x #19 Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:02 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 34671 battles
  • [OLDG]

This whole game is an eyesight test now and I am not enjoying it.

I have been playing since the 360 beta and we are now month after the big update and I still honestly have no idea what the HUD is trying to tell me.

The tiny cryptic icons for module / crew status are too small and complicated, I can't read them. This is all information that is required at a glance.

If I get close enough to my screen to make it out, one of the repair icons looks like a bird nesting on the back of my tank, that is not useful information, and certainly not worth walking over to the screen for when it lights up.

Please WG:

At least give us a legend showing the meaning of the new symbols used in the game.

And / Or post a few screen shots of various game screens with some arrows and labels added to show what the new icons represent. It's not that difficult, but it would be a huge help.

Edited by Mr HIPP0-x, 14 January 2021 - 07:05 PM.

OldGamerz.co.uk

OldGamerz.co.uk Mature gaming community for the over 30's

Playing for fun, not stats.

UltimoPit385186-x #20 Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:04 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 34248 battles
Is there an actual guide anywhere that translates these arcane symbols? I stared at them about 12 inches from my TV and still can't work some of them out.

Left hand side? 4th, 5th from top? 2nd from bottom is ammo rack perhaps? Am presuming the snapped celery stalk on the right 4th down is the gun?

I think the extra track symbol is to make it symmetrical otherwise the 5 crew members would make it 'unbalanced'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users