• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

M4ntiX-x #1 Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 39067 battles
  • [JOCO]

POPULAR

Below are sections of the official update announcement published on December 14, 2020 that I want to look at. I figured it would be nice to see how the month-old announcement holds up to reality. Let's begin, shall we? BTW, WG reps I hope you're reading this.

Block Quote

NEWS / ANNOUNCEMENTS
World of Tanks Console Upcoming Update!
December 14, 2020
SHARE:
It’s one of our biggest updates ever. See what changes are coming to World of Tanks Console!

Are you ready for a sleeker, neater tanking experience? Our latest update is on its way, and it’s bringing massive changes to the look and feel of the game as well as some of the key game systems.

OK, there is some truth in that. This is the biggest change ever, but it most definitely is not an update. Even a month later the game is ridden with bugs that break immersion, economy and overall enjoyment. Where is the sleeker, neater tanking experience? Your "streamlining" only complicated things and took out game features that not only we were all used to, but were essential to playing and enjoying it in full. The massive changes you are mentioning are definitely there, problem is they are not changes for the better. Nothing in this generic part of the announcement matches what we initially received and what we have now.

Block Quote

Commander System

In place of Crews, the World of Tanks Console Upcoming Update will implement the new Commander system.

Existing Crews will be promoted to Commanders. The result: a system that’s simpler for new players to understand and easier to manage with only Skills to keep track of.

Commanders were an unwanted change, but the concept is not bad at all. Problem is, the Commander system implementation was awful and dishonest to the Community. There was no warning we will lose all our super crews and instead we will get a bunch of fully researched 9 skill Commanders. Aside from that, the Commander system is hard to navigate, not intuitive at all and quite frankly, it's more complicated to understand and manage than the previous crew system. Because Commanders can now be freely moved between tanks and nations and there is no way of telling to which tech tree tank the Commander originally belonged to when moved to a Premium vehicle, managing Commanders is an absolute nightmare. To make things even harder, you took out the ability of renaming them and changing their portraits, so we have absolutely no way of customizing the Commanders and making them stand out at all. Perhaps had we known in advance this will be the case, we would've taken steps to sort the crews out BEFORE THEY WERE TAKEN AWAY FROM US.

Block Quote

Consumables

Get ready for new, more powerful Consumables that can be used by tanks of ANY nation! We’re streamlining the list of Consumable items and converting all your existing Consumables into their upgraded versions so that you can get the benefit of these updated items right away.

While this may be true, you failed to mention you will charge us even if we don't use them in battle and for every time we do! It's a blatant cash grab and it's simply disgusting. We were all excited for this change as we imagined it will work like it does on PC, now most people hate it and resort to not using consumables at all! Another awful idea and implementation that is borderline pay to win.

Block Quote

Equipment

We’re also updating the types of Equipment available and the ways they function.

Our new Equipment list includes familiar items that have been updated and renamed along with all-new items.

Additionally, with this update, all tanks (new and existing) will have the new Enhanced Target Info automatically installed. This Equipment can be removed at no cost or credit to you.

This change is simply baffling. Yes, there are new equipment pieces (some of which have such vague descriptions in game no new player will know what they actually do), but the 4th equipment slot and the ability to remove one of the core game mechanics is beyond me. This is an arty/stationary TD buff, simple as that. It's silly, not needed and brings more imbalance to the already struggling game.

Block Quote

Tank Skins

All you tankers who enjoy customizing your vehicles with Emblems, Inscriptions, and Flags will love this part of the update. Get ready for a new way to change the look of an entire tank: Skins!

The new tech we’ve implemented as part this update has made Skins a reality. How will you look when you roll out into battle?

Skins are cool and are a good addition to the game. Selling visuals is an honest way to make money and does not have an adverse effect on game play. What you have failed to mention is that some of the inscriptions and emblems will be removed, giving us less customization options than before.

Block Quote

World of Tanks Console and the Next Generation!

Don’t forget World of Tanks Console will run at 4k/60fps on Xbox Series X|S and PS5. Get ready to tank away and enjoy faster load times on these consoles.

Ah yes, WOTC and the Next Generation. To boldly go where no one has gone before. Well, you have done that without a doubt. I don't think anyone has ever dug a hole that deep before. Joking aside, 60fps support for new consoles was only logical. Nothing to write home about and nothing we didn't expect. Gosh, old WOT would look and play gorgeous in 60fps.

Block Quote

HUD and PBRS

Not only will the Heads Up Display (HUD) have a refreshed look; it will also contain new information to help you in battle.

The Post-Battle Results Screen (PBRS) offers new tabs and even a salute to the top three players in a match.

Now that is a straight up lie even a month later. New information to help us in battle? How about no information or much less than we had previously! What is the new information you speak of? Where is it? HUD has been changed completely and most of the critical battle information was removed or relocated to a spot that is outside of normal viewing angles. The PBRS has more tabs, it also has LESS information than before. Not only that, this part of the game is also riddled with bugs and feels unfinished, rushed... Leader board does not seem to follow any logical sense, MVP tanks are missing MOEs and player names, etc. Awful, just awful. Pretty colors though...

Block Quote

Customization System

When you select one of your tanks in the “Vehicles” tab (formerly known as the Garage), you’ll be able to open the Customization menu, a series of tabs that contain all the info you need to know about that vehicle and all the screens where you can customize it.

All the info we need to know? Really WG? So, we don't need to know the terrain resistances, gun elevation and depression figures, shell velocity, etc... Oh, bite me WG!

Block Quote

Linear Vehicle Progression

To make the upgrade process clearer and easier to understand, we’re implementing Linear Vehicle Progression, a single path to reach Elite Tank status, with checkpoints along the way where you can fit your tank with different modules.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old progression system and IMO it was easier than the new one. Besides, now we are restricted to what tanks we can research first if there are more than one in the tech tree. Calling something that's restrictive "easier," is a fallacy. New system is horrible and is yet another aspect that takes away from enjoyment of playing this game. In cases of some grinds, the progression makes no sense and forces the player to drive their tank with stock gun or engine until the very end. It's simply stupid. Yet another example of breaking something that didn't need fixing!

Block Quote

Profile Tab
The new Profile Tab contains a ton of info about your gameplay experience: your stats in all your vehicles, medals you’ve earned, account activity (Store purchases, Commander recruitment, etc.), and more.

Define a "ton" cause even a month later we still have LESS information than prior to the downgrade. Damage standing is gone, hit ratio, etc... Filter on the stats tab STILL DOES NOT WORK and displays multiple tiers when only selecting one. It's a mess.

Block Quote

Portal Store Discontinued

As of December 8th, the link to the in-game Store will no longer be available on the website portal.

Don’t worry; the Store will still be available! It will continue to be accessible in-game, where you can get your game content the moment you need it.

Log in on your console for limited-time tank bundles, exclusive deals, gift-giving, and more!

Now this... this is simply mind blowing. I am no marketing expert, but giving players LESS options to BUY things from you sounds like a brilliant move. Did your analysis really show that the web store brings less money than it takes to upkeep? I am baffled and I can't imagine anyone is happy about this change. Sometimes when I was away from console I would use the on-line store to buy tanks and gifts. Now, I simply cannot do that. Hey, it's your profits so do whatever.

Block Quote

The World of Tanks Console Upcoming Update is a huge undertaking. We can’t wait to see what you do with new systems, new tools, and an overall refined experience.

I guess this sums it up perfectly... "an overall refined experienced." Yes, so refined the game was pretty much unplayable on day one and is barely playable a month later. Refined economy, refined HUD, refined UI, refined Garage, refined web store... I think you should substitute refined with "ruined." Yes, you are making changes that will improve the game slowly but given how much "refinement" there was, it will still take you months to get it to a truly playable state.

Long story short, this announcement was mostly a lie and written by someone who doesn't understand the game nor its players. Shame, as we were really looking forward to it. Sadly even a month later not much has changed to fix this mess. It's all form over substance and it does not work in a highly technical game.

RIP WOTC and shame on you WG! :(

RIP WOTC December 15, 2020 

Current game frustration level: ███████████  110% I quit.

"No one in history has ever been insulted into agreement." - Arthur Brooks

PrezBillClinton-x #2 Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:04 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 61442 battles
  • [JOCO]
Gotta love the refined experince [edited]at the end!:facepalm:

If you don't know, ask someone who does.

Shockwave IIC-x #3 Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:05 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21414 battles
  • [-PA-]
Have a +1 for a (mostly) constructive post

Chaffee ***, M10 Wolverine ***, Hellcat **, Fury **, Easy 8 ***, M6 ***, T29 ***, T71 **, T69 **, Comet I IT34 **, T34 85 ** T150 ***, KV4 **, T -54 **, ST-I **, VK30.01D III III III, VK30.01M III III, VK30.02D III III, Tiger P III III,

Tier 5+ tanks "earned for free"[\url]

Ben The Orange-x #4 Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:09 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15890 battles
I reluctantly have to agree with all of that. Great post!

G32H-p #5 Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:30 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 43833 battles
Thanks for the spot on post.  My thoughts exactly, and well written.

Sadriel Fett-x #6 Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:35 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 28895 battles
  • [DARMY]

+1

Hit the nail on the head with this one, dude.  Even though "Downgrade 6.0" made me uninstall the game for the first time since it came out, I still pop in the forums once a week to see if the Dev's have pulled their heads out of their backside.  The more of the new gameplay I see on Twitch and read about on the Forums, the more I see them backpedaling, but still digging the hole they're in deeper and deeper.  I was looking at one of their posts yesterday on social media (since they seem to put more emphasis on that instead of forum feedback) and out of all the comments I didn't see a single positive post.  I was amazed at the complete lack of enthusiasm and sheer disgust so many players have for this new update.  Usually there's a pretty good mix of good and bad comments on there about an update that's been released.   Yet, it seems like the Dev's still can't take the hint.  It's like they stopped caring about their own game and it shows.  It's a very sad thing to watch.

~ "I'm just a simple Fan, trying to make my way in the universe." ~

Restless_Vermin-p #7 Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:43 PM

Major

• Players
  • 45016 battles
  • [FUBB]

Spot on

it makes me sad that the game is in this state

Its never been perfect but ever since Mercenaries landed this game has been going one way.....

I really hope it recovers but I fear this team are incapable of even getting the basics right, the m talking about those at the top not the foot soldiers!

Poor leadership from the get go and a whole lot of arrogance IMO 

cooliocory90954-x #8 Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:45 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26172 battles
  • [D12-2]

-1 it is better then old game

Sparko969-p #9 Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:52 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3211 battles
+1 Totally agree

StockrA-p #10 Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27692 battles

View Postcooliocory90954-x, on 16 January 2021 - 02:45 PM, said:

You think crossplay with PC is coming (still) :trollface: 

Drop the mic OP +1 :great: 

cooliocory90954-x #11 Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:13 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26172 battles
  • [D12-2]

View PostStockrA-p, on 16 January 2021 - 03:10 PM, said:

You think crossplay with PC is coming (still) :trollface: 

Drop the mic OP +1 :great: 

yup

Pit Friend-x #12 Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 38356 battles
  • [PTATO]

A well though out post.

It will sadly be thrown on the pile to be ignored by the devs with the rest.

I don’t know how to act my age! I’ve never been this old before!

StockrA-p #13 Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27692 battles

View PostPit Friend-x, on 16 January 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

A well though out post.

It will sadly be thrown on the pile to be ignored by the devs with the rest.

report his post, won't get ignored then :teethhappy:

matematicalone-p #14 Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:22 PM

Major

• Players
  • 5689 battles

View Postcooliocory90954-x, on 16 January 2021 - 03:45 PM, said:

OP wrote a bulletin list where he has addressed in detail bit by bit all the Update sections.

Would you care to provide a bit more details? You know to add some weight to your argument.

''There is no 'i' in team but there is in win.'', Michael Jordan

''If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.'', Muhammad Ali

1vs6 last man standing Kolobanov's

SupersonicPanda-x #15 Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:23 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 38921 battles
So many good points, factual and true and to the point +1

Ditch Doc-x #16 Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:27 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28088 battles

Good post, OP. Using their own announcement brings back what I was expecting on the eve of the 14th and the shock when I saw what they’d actually done.  +1

Wish they could stow their pride and start working honestly towards fixing what they ruined, rather than trying to mollify us with scraps until we “get used to it”

“They’re trying to kill me,” Yossarian told him calmly. ”No one’s trying to kill you,” Clevinger cried.

”Then why are they shooting at me?” Yossarian asked. ”They’re shooting at everyone,” Clevinger answered. “They’re trying to kill everyone.”

”And what difference does that make?” Joseph Heller, Catch-22

StockrA-p #17 Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:29 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27692 battles

View Postmatematicalone-p, on 16 January 2021 - 03:22 PM, said:

OP wrote a bulletin list where he has addressed in detail bit by bit all the Update sections.

Would you care to provide a bit more details? You know to add some weight to your argument.

Yeah, that's not going to happen, crossplay with pc tho

cooliocory90954-x #18 Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:31 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26172 battles
  • [D12-2]

View PostStockrA-p, on 16 January 2021 - 03:29 PM, said:

Yeah, that's not going to happen, crossplay with pc tho

say you with 0 battles

PrezBillClinton-x #19 Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:33 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 61442 battles
  • [JOCO]

View Postcooliocory90954-x, on 16 January 2021 - 10:31 AM, said:

say you with 0 battles

i like game. Game is goody for me

If you don't know, ask someone who does.

IIBSWAT-x #20 Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:36 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 51861 battles

View Postcooliocory90954-x, on 16 January 2021 - 02:45 PM, said:

Says you, that never managed to get above a 42% wr after 25000 games on the original wotc...no wonder you don't like it.

You are just a pro troll sir.

Anyway on topic, great post op, very true.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users