Real world locations for the maps.

Best guess scenarios

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

vampyrii #1 Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8728 battles

This thread was inspired by this post here.

Well, in no particular order:

Westfield - best guess.

In the town of Bietigheim-Bissingen the Eisenbahnviadukt bridge.

Mountain Pass, Best guess. Caucasus mountains which span between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea and span Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia.

My threads: Just found the forums? New to WoT? Read me.|| Real world locations for the maps.|| How to find your WN8: Read the OP first.
Map guide for Port and Live Oaks || Must read thread by XxDAFFYxxDUCKxX || Opinion: Tier 3&4 should have PMM.|| Matchmaker Explained (WG Official)..

Garage:
The key virtues in WoT are patience and caution, paired with the right amount of pushing aggressively at the proper moment.

vampyrii #2 Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8728 battles

Province, Best guess. Monte Cassino.
Monte Cassino (sometimes written Montecassino) is a rocky hill about 130 kilometres (81 mi) southeast of Rome, Italy, c. 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) to the west of the town of Cassino (the Roman Casinum having been on the hill) and 520 m (1,706.04 ft) altitude. St. Benedict of Nursia established his first monastery, the source of the Benedictine Order, here around 529. It was the site of the Battle of Monte Cassino in 1944, where the building was destroyed by Allied bombing and rebuilt after the war.

Prokhorovka.

The Battle of Prokhorovka was fought near Prokhorovka, 87 kilometres (54 mi) southeast of Kursk, on the Eastern Front during the Second World War as part of the Battle of Kursk in the Soviet Union. The 5th Guards Tank Army of the Soviet Red Army attacked the II SS-Panzer Corps of the German Wehrmacht in one of the largest tank battles in military history.

My threads: Just found the forums? New to WoT? Read me.|| Real world locations for the maps.|| How to find your WN8: Read the OP first.
Map guide for Port and Live Oaks || Must read thread by XxDAFFYxxDUCKxX || Opinion: Tier 3&4 should have PMM.|| Matchmaker Explained (WG Official)..

Garage:
The key virtues in WoT are patience and caution, paired with the right amount of pushing aggressively at the proper moment.

vampyrii #3 Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8728 battles

Malinovka,, Best guess. Belarus ,Malinovka near the borders with Poland.

Operation Bagration (Russian: Oперация Багратион, Operatsiya Bagration) was the codename for the Soviet 1944 Belorussian Strategic Offensive Operation[15] during World War II, which cleared German forces from the Belorussian SSR and eastern Poland between 22 June and 19 August 1944.[16] The operation was named after 18th–19th century Georgian Prince Pyotr Bagration, general of the Imperial Russian Army who received a mortal wound at the Battle of Borodino.

The operation resulted in the almost complete destruction of the German Army Group Centre and three of its component armies: the Fourth Army, Third Panzer Army and Ninth Army. It "was the most calamitous defeat of all the German armed forces in World War II".

Mines, Best guess. City of Pagorki near Gdansk, Poland.

September 1, 1939, forever etched in the history books as the day the world went to war.
The planet would never be the same again, and it started here, seventy years ago,
with Gdansk as the opening gambit in Hitler’s vile master plan.

Edited by vampyrii, 23 March 2014 - 11:17 AM.

Garage:

vampyrii #4 Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8728 battles

Sand River, Best guess. Battle of Kasserine Pass.

The Battle of Kasserine Pass was a battle that took place during the Tunisia Campaign of World War II in February 1943. It was a series of battles fought around Kasserine Pass, a 2 mi (3.2 km) wide gap in the Grand Dorsal chain of the Atlas Mountains in west central Tunisia. The Axis forces involved, led by Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, were primarily from the Afrika Korps Assault Group, elements of the Italian Centauro Armoured Division and two Panzer divisions detached from the 5th Panzer Army. The Allied forces involved came from the U.S Army's II Corps commanded by Major General Lloyd Fredendall, and the British 6th Armoured Division commanded by Major-General Charles Keightley, which were part of the British 1st Army commanded by Lieutenant-General Kenneth Anderson.

Ell Halluf, best guess, Second Battle of El Alamein

The First Battle of Al Alamein (1–27 July 1942) was a battle of the Western Desert Campaign of the Second World War, fought on the northern coast of Egypt between Axis forces (Germany and Italy) of the Panzer Army Africa (Panzerarmee Afrika) commanded by Field Marshal (Generalfeldmarschall) Erwin Rommel, and Allied (specifically British Imperial) forces (Britain, British India, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand) of the British Eighth Army commanded by General Claude Auchinleck. The battle, although a stalemate, halted a second advance by the Axis forces into Egypt.

The Second Battle of El Alamein(23 October – 11 November 1942) took place near the Egyptian coastal city of El Alamein. With the Allies victorious, it marked a major turning point in the Western Desert Campaign of the Second World War. It followed the First Battle of El Alamein, which had stalled the Axis advance into Egypt, after which, in August 1942, Lieutenant-General Bernard Montgomery had taken command of the British Eighth Army from General Claude Auchinleck. This victory turned the tide in the North African Campaign and ended the Axis threat to Egypt, the Suez Canal, and of gaining access to the Middle Eastern and Persian oil fields via North Africa. From a psychological perspective, Second El Alamein revived the morale of the Allies, being the first major offensive against the Axis since the start of the European war in 1939 in which the Western Allies achieved a decisive victory.

Garage:

vampyrii #5 Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8728 battles

Widepark, best guess, Munich 1942.

CLIFF, best guess, - Nothing yet. Dover Cliffs don't match. Coast of Maine, also.

Garage:

vampyrii #6 Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8728 battles
RESERVED FOR NEXT MAPS.

Garage:

vampyrii #7 Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8728 battles
RESERVED FOR NEXT MAPS.

Garage:

InfernalBlosphe #8 Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7101 battles

View Postvampyrii, on 22 March 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

This thread was inspired by this post here.

Well, in no particular order:

Westfield best guess.

In the town of Bietigheim-Bissingen the Eisenbahnviadukt bridge.

Is my Tigers corpse laying under the bridge somewhere? If so, I'm convinced.

BURNER247 #9 Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6869 battles

Cool idea for a thread.

+1 to fix that -1

vampyrii #10 Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8728 battles
Updated with maps. Only Cliff and Lakeville, missing still. Very hard to even guess, both of them.

Garage:

NahWasntMe #11 Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7037 battles
Great thread Vampyrii. +1. Can you get a shot of the east end of that bridge in the OP and see if there are a load of tanks there, or see if it is a picnic/ campsite.

“Out of every 15 men, 5 shouldn't even be there, they are campers or arty,  5 are just potatoes, 4 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” 
Nahwasntme with apologies to Heraclitus who said :

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” 

vampyrii #12 Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8728 battles

View PostNahWasntMe, on 23 March 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

Great thread Vampyrii. +1. Can you get a shot of the east end of that bridge in the OP and see if there are a load of tanks there, or see if it is a picnic/ campsite.

Garage:

NahWasntMe #13 Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7037 battles
Thinking cliff must be north Europe Coast in summer or maybe Yugoslavia, Crimea, Black Sea area. Houses don't look Mediterranean . 

“Out of every 15 men, 5 shouldn't even be there, they are campers or arty,  5 are just potatoes, 4 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” 
Nahwasntme with apologies to Heraclitus who said :

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” 

ExaminedGORE #14 Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 3924 battles
  • [SKREB]

View Postvampyrii, on 23 March 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

Thanks for this thread.

Check out my DeviantArt. World of Tanks fanarts || Fractals || My childhood sketchs  : )  

"I can't even be bothered to reply anymore the tinfoil hat is to thick to get through" ~ A dapper kiwi, 05 October 2015

Fernancyber22 #15 Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7771 battles
Such a great read! Thanks for posting this!

MrWuvems #16 Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

I'm going to have to disagree with you on mines. The foliage doesn't seem to match Poland, and the island flank seems to be situated on a coast as opposed to a lake, especially with the presence of a lighthouse. I'd likely place it somewhere in Italy post-overthrow (explaining the German signage).

Also, Monte Cassino doesn't match the terrain of Province at all. There is the presence of a nearly equally-high ridge (the amphitheater), settlement goes right up to the structure, and the major destruction implying bombardment is not the monastery but a civilian area on the other side of the map. Considering the architecture and the concept that it is low-tier, the previous "map = place" thread placed this during the Spanish Civil War.

Although it would be cool having a coastal Polish map (likely Danzig).

vampyrii #17 Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8728 battles

View PostNahWasntMe, on 23 March 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Thinking cliff must be north Europe Coast in summer or maybe Yugoslavia, Crimea, Black Sea area. Houses don't look Mediterranean . 

I will look into this. Thanks.

View PostTheMEagle, on 23 March 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you on mines. The foliage doesn't seem to match Poland, and the island flank seems to be situated on a coast as opposed to a lake, especially with the presence of a lighthouse. I'd likely place it somewhere in Italy post-overthrow (explaining the German signage).

Also, Monte Cassino doesn't match the terrain of Province at all. There is the presence of a nearly equally-high ridge (the amphitheater), settlement goes right up to the structure, and the major destruction implying bombardment is not the monastery but a civilian area on the other side of the map. Considering the architecture and the concept that it is low-tier, the previous "map = place" thread placed this during the Spanish Civil War.

Although it would be cool having a coastal Polish map (likely Danzig).

On Mines, Pagorki was the name of the map before it was renamed to Mines. WG has said the they have altered the locations because it was not possible for the match balance to recreate the actual terrain and morphology. I will look into this and maybe find a suitable location. Regarding the Spanish Civil War, I don't find it plausible, since it ended at the start of WW2 and its kind of unrelated to the era of WoT.

Since we get no official help on this, we can only assume. :)

Garage:

SkyStalker #18 Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

Major

• Supertester
  • 8240 battles
  • [HAPPY]
Have you ever thought of cliffs being somewhere near Point du hoc or any of the d-day beaches

My current grinds: T-43 (for T-54/T-62A), Tortoise (for Death Star), ISU-152 (for Obj 704, and Obj 268), Jagdtiger (for JagdPanzer E100), AMX 13-90 (for Batchat), AMX 50-100 (For AMX 50-120/50B), and KV-4 (For ST-I and IS-4)

I play for fun, and not WN8 (as it ruins my view of this game)

vampyrii #19 Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8728 battles

View PostSkyStalker, on 23 March 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

Have you ever thought of cliffs being somewhere near Point du hoc or any of the d-day beaches

I have. But the lighthouse confuses me. I will also take a look on these locations. :)

Garage:

ghillie1sniper1 #20 Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 4025 battles
I really like this, keep it up.

girl.gif
"Assault destroyer, proud to serve!"           "Since the dawn of man, unintelligent people have been unable to recognize their own inadequacies, therefore anything that doesn't happen exactly how they imagined it would must be the fault of someone else."           "Mace 2 Face"         "I am lightning, the rain transformed"     "Little mac ain't no air fighter "      In the interest of protecting you my ass,  screw off.            Arma, Insurgency, Red Orchestra, Operation Flashpoint.          Valrave, Mirai Nikki,  Kiseijuu, Aldnoah, Brynhildr,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users